General feed back on "belief and spirituality"

17th Angel

לבעוט את התחת ולקחת שמות
Reaction score
Have you seen the little piggies crawling in the d
I been pondering for long time now... And I wanted to get feedback and advice from others... See what others think.... What would you say or suggest or comment anything on this: (I cant explain myself fully so take what ya can)

A person (me) wants a religion... They want one really bad lol... Not sure why they want it too much... But, they do... But They don't have one... And it seems like they will never have one.... :/ Thoughts?

Maybe you're just looking for spiritual community? What about an interfaith org in your area?

Thanks for the replies :D

hey alex,

do you by any chance feel like an outcast?

If we're honest, yes... Although that has been my own doing over the years, I wish to be isolated... I really am not a social creature... I however do try on here... (feel honored... j/k) :)

Maybe you're just looking for spiritual community? What about an interfaith org in your area?

What would someone gain from being around a spiritual community in your opinion?

Alex,

I think it depends largely on the individual, but you don't need to be a member of a religion to be a spiritual individual so to me it seems the main benefit of any religion is going to be the community element. For me, I like being able to share in spiritual practice with other people. Somehow, it feels different than solo practice. Additionally, I like being able to talk to others who at least on the experiential level are in some agreement with me, and at other times debate because we do disagree. I like knowing that, as a festival is coming up, there will be other people sharing in that festival that I can celebrate with, or if it's not a festival, share in whatever the mood of the present season is.

I suggested an interfaith organization because then at the very least you'd be able to be around other people who are most likely spiritual without feeling like you ought to conform to someone else's idea of what form that should take.

-- Dauer

Thanks again D!

I wouldn't even know where to begin, I guess I could look into finding these groups... Just the only thing I believe in is Love... But when I question my spirituality.... I am not sure If I have any... Sounds crazy, that I would say that yet, I feel drawn to religion.... :/

Ever looked into UU? They're pretty laid back about specific types of dogma.

You probably still have one or more JW mind control implants in your body. Look for oddly shaped bumps on your dermis and elsewhere.

Chris

Alex,

I don't think so. It's about what you're looking for in a spiritual community if a spiritual community is what you're looking for. What do you think attracts you to religion?

You probably still have one or more JW mind control implants in your body. Look for oddly shaped bumps on your dermis and elsewhere.

Chris

lol, I'll go through my security scanner one more time!

Alex,

I don't think so. It's about what you're looking for in a spiritual community if a spiritual community is what you're looking for. What do you think attracts you to religion?

Fair enough.... I don't really know... I guess it is the dream that there is more to at the end of the day all the efforts and works and deeds... Are gone, I die.. That's it... Game over... I really am not comfortable with that... There has to be a point to me being here... And from looking into the universe (don't want to side track it, this is just my opinion...) There has to be some kind of "thing" going on here... Some kind of creator, designer... Spiritually speaking I believe I am as spiritual as a lump of coal..... No idea if that will improve or if I can improve that.

I try the praying thing... I think I've prayed to every god under the sun... I am yet to find the one that wants to be my buddy! lol... I have no favour with the others so far :p But then I think well maybe it is because I am not spiritual... And I think it over and how the heck do you become spiritual? Anyway back to it... What draws me to religion is Can so many be wrong? Like sure they all differ here and there, but still... World wide, constant through the history of man, there it is.... Religion. Always...

And the feeling of having some kind of superior guardian being that can wash away our problems and make us eternal.... How can that not attract to religion?

What am I looking for? I have no idea... But I know I'm looking for it...

It sounds like some of your attraction to religion has to do with your concerns about your own mortality and your sense that there's got to be something more to the world, some greater structure or purpose or Being. At the same time it sounds like, despite your ventures into religion, you don't feel like you connect spiritually with something greater than yourself. Is that accurate? Is there more to it?

I just don't 'get' spirituality... How do you know when it is in effect? And how are you meant to like.... Feel/act... lol...

Yes I have concern for my morality. But what majorly pisses me off, is how everyone treats one another... Like dirt.... And how there are people suffering world wide... And hunger and yaddy yaaddy yaa.. You know the stories and facts so I won't rant on and on about it... But, it's simply not fair lol... If we only get one shot at this life... That sucks so bad for so many poor poor people.......

And yes again, I believe there has to be something but, everytime I look into/study/join religions... I don't feel it... I expect there to be something... I have no idea what! But something... And if it comes down to connecting spiritually, then I must be doomed? Because I fail to get that, the only thing I can asume it must be like is the feeling of peace I get when with nature... Something calm? Or what?

I want to be like most of you... Have a faith be so darn sure about it, and have trust and I guess a spiritual connection to it. To me it isn't fitting in where it is easiest... It is fitting in where I am meant to fit in.

I can relate to your difficulties understanding spirituality. I can't put it into words very well. For me, those experiences that are regularly described as spiritual, I consider spiritual. I don't think the word describes one state but rather, multiple states that may or may not have something in common. For example, there are ecstatic practices that foster a state that is very different from that reached in contemplative practices. Maybe there is a similarity in becoming overtaken by the experiences in both cases, more present for the experience. Maybe that's the connection. And maybe beyond that there is often a sense of connection in spiritual practices. Then again, there can be a sense of longing too, a sense of distance. It is a hard thing to define clearly.

What do you think it would be like for you to find the place where you're meant to fit in? How do you envision that happening and in what type of setting does that seem most likely to you?

I can relate to your difficulties understanding spirituality. I can't put it into words very well. For me, those experiences that are regularly described as spiritual, I consider spiritual. I don't think the word describes one state but rather, multiple states that may or may not have something in common. For example, there are ecstatic practices that foster a state that is very different from that reached in contemplative practices. Maybe there is a similarity in becoming overtaken by the experiences in both cases, more present for the experience. Maybe that's the connection. And maybe beyond that there is often a sense of connection in spiritual practices. Then again, there can be a sense of longing too, a sense of distance. It is a hard thing to define clearly.

What do you think it would be like for you to find the place where you're meant to fit in? How do you envision that happening and in what type of setting does that seem most likely to you?

Spirituality is a toughy eh? Suprised to read you have difficulties with it lol.. No idea why, just seem like a fish in water. I really appreciate your posts. Thank you D.

I guess, not just love but true peace... I believe true peace I would find... And a comitment... Once I found it, something inside me to scream here we are! And then I stay true to it... lol. I don't feel that this is ok, but this doesn't make any sense... This doesn't seem right, or I can't believe this or that... I be there Yes this is it, I agree with it all, it all feels right... Change become a better person.. And STICK to it. The setting? No idea.... Being in the right place at the right moment... I feel it will be something I will crash into oblivious.

2am.... I best get to bed... Another day has been born. And more chances/opportunities await!

For me it's not the experience of spirituality that's hard, just defining what spirituality is. I think it's possible to reverse engineer a definition though, by looking at activities you've done that are associated with spirituality and paying attention to those activities where you have felt something internally that is different from your ordinary experience of the world, ignoring the fact that some activities didn't stir anything up for you. I get the sense from some of the things you've said that you've had experiences others might define as spiritual, maybe in nature, but that putting your finger on what it means or what it's supposed to feel like is hard for you. Anyway, have a good night and I hope you find what you're looking for or it finds you.

-- Dauer

I been pondering for long time now... And I wanted to get feedback and advice from others... See what others think.... What would you say or suggest or comment anything on this: (I cant explain myself fully so take what ya can)

A person (me) wants a religion... They want one really bad lol... Not sure why they want it too much... But, they do... But They don't have one... And it seems like they will never have one.... :/ Thoughts?

maybe you have lost sight of the other sheep , and need to be united :)
JOHN 10;16 REVELATION 7;9-10

"Draw close to God, and he will draw close to you."—JAMES 4:8.

For me it's not the experience of spirituality that's hard, just defining what spirituality is.

-- Dauer

I see, I see.

Anyway, have a good night and I hope you find what you're looking for or it finds you.

-- Dauer

Thanks man... I think it will be a bit of both... I will ponder over your posts...

Anyone else out there gonna share their view of spirituality?

maybe you have lost sight of the other sheep , and need to be united :)
JOHN 10;16 REVELATION 7;9-10

"Draw close to God, and he will draw close to you."—JAMES 4:8.

Thanks for the post mee :)

Namaste my brother,

I hear ya!! I walked that walk. Couldn't find a home and wanted one.

I agree with Dauer, interfaith or UU could be a place to play and explore. Maybe even Bahai.

I tried all sorts of Christian denominations, visited and explored a variety of eastern religions, found a lot that I like in a lot of other than Christian religions. In the denominations I found the reality of the congregation didn't resonate...the walk and the talk didn't coincide.

Then I was recommended to try a church because of the way I walked and talked...folks thought I belonged there. I tried it, and it was like coming home. There are others like me!! That was 13 years ago after 20 years in the wilderness.

I had really quit looking. I was sure I didn't need a building, or congregation, or preacher or dogma or creed or religion...that I was comfortable with my beliefs and reading. Then like I said I walked in those doors. And now I love the congregation the preacher, the .....

alex...

a person wants a religion... They want one really bad lol... Not sure why they want it too much... But, they do... But They don't have one... And it seems like they will never have one....

my thoughts?

Religion is like chocolate... in small doses, it is great- theobromine, releasing endorphins, potentially causing a serotonin cascade- wondrous stuff...

yet... too much chocolate makes a person fat and rots their teeth...

Religion is like a relationship... u start off not being able to keep your hands off each other, u want to spend every minute of the day with ur new lover... u can laugh at their bad jokes, ignore they've eaten garlic bread, still want to dive on them... then... this wears off, something else develops...

u either develop committment, love, companionship, get married, or u start noticing that their cute ways annoy u to death, and u start arguing, u split, u move on...

Religion is like society... it has it's rules and regulations, it's in and outgroups, it's shared goals and values... you won't agree with everything "society" says, but you choose "inside" or "outside" for yourself...

Realistically... people "quest" for "truth" not just for the sake of truth... it is best to see whether u involve urself with "questing" for the sake of "truth", or for the sake of something else, such as... belonging, community, a rock to tether yourself to when storms approach, somebody to tell u what to think, etc...

If u examine urself, and think ur motives lie outside of "questing for truth", then ignore religion. Take up an art class, go to the disco more often.
But, if truth is what u seek, then u will quest forever...

forever u will almost grasp it, almost taste it, you will consider giving up, you will hate it and love it, but the quest will always beckon...

and one day..? The truth appears...

Back