Wisdom

dauer

Reaction score
What is wisdom and how does one attain it?

-- Dauer

It is learning your lessons and observation......

How is it attained? Experience...

I know many seem to consider it status.. Look at how wise I am! :D That isn't wisdom... Wisdom is simply observation and nothing more...

Let's look at quotes of wisdom shall we...

"The more you care, the stronger you can be.."
J Rohn...

"Happiness is not a reward - it is consequence. Suffering is not a punishment - it is a result."
Robert Green Ingersoll....

"Great beginnings are not as important as the way one finishes."
Dr J Dobson..

These aren't equations of a genius... They are simple observations... If one would bother to slow down and look around, one would come to the same conclusion.....

"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday." My boy Ab! :D

Alex,

I don't think that wisdom is attained due to experience, or rather, I don't think there is a causal relationship between the two. I think sometimes experience can lead a person far afield from wisdom. Thus in addition to the archetype of the wise sage, we have the crotchety old man who's become very set in his ways. To give a different example, let's say a young woman is raped on multiple occasions. She comes to regard all men as evil. This attitude is understandable given her life experiences but I don't think it could be called wisdom.

I think experience does give more opportunity for achieving wisdom but that the development of wisdom has more to do with how one processes and learns from life experiences than with the number of life experiences one has had.

What makes a simple observation wise? What makes a simple observation unwise? It sounds like for you it is an issue of consensus? Would you compare wisdom to common sense? If not, how do they differ? If someone is able to make very simple observations that ring true to the majority of listeners but rarely embodies these wise words, are they wise themselves?

-- Dauer

Alex,

so wisdom has to be embodied in order to be wisdom? What if someone never makes any wise observations but their actions embody wisdom? Are they wise? If a wise person is someone who can embody unspoken wisdom, then are words of wisdom really wisdom or are they more like a faint suggestion of wisdom, like a shadow cast that hints at the presence of a thing without being the object itself?

Alex,

so wisdom has to be embodied in order to be wisdom?

What if someone never makes any wise observations but their actions embody wisdom? Are they wise? If a wise person is someone who can embody unspoken wisdom, then are words of wisdom really wisdom or are they more like a faint suggestion of wisdom, like a shadow cast that hints at the presence of a thing without being the object itself?

I dunno man, lol... I don't use the term wise it's just observations to me... And by experience I mean experiences... lol

If they don't make any observations? Then they are not that aware.... :) I wouldn't say they are not wise, because as I said I don't do "wisdom" ';/ They are just lacking awareness.... I know it isn't a fancy idea like you will get from other posts on the thread lol.. But I am not looking for fancy.. So nice and simple it is observations or awareness discovery... open eyes... attention to detail... Examinating, inspecting... ... You know many other names that is wisdom to me ;/ I do not see magic or power or amazing intelligence or anything else in "wise people" and their quotes... Just simple observations.... No idea what else to tell ya ';/ *shruggs*

No idea what else to tell ya ';/ *shruggs*

S'okay. I was just trying to get you to elaborate on your own ideas further, and that you did.

-- dauer

What is wisdom and how does one attain it?

-- Dauer

We create subjective wisdom. Objective wisdom always was. The essence of religion has sought to unite the two but "experts" are doing their best and succeeding in retaining the gap between the two.

Proverbs 8: 22-33 Wisdom is speaking:

The Lord possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.
I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.
When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water...
When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth... when he gave the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment; when he appointed the foundations of the earth: then I was by him...
Now therefore harken unto me, O ye children: for blessed are they that keep my ways.
Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not

Objective Wisdom is the conscious objective comprehension of the totality of interactions of universal laws and their lawful results. The expression of wisdom or a wise decision is selecting the best alternative from several options regrdless if it bolsters the subjectivity of our self esteem.

Nick,

The essence of religion has sought to unite the two but "experts" are doing their best and succeeding in retaining the gap between the two.

Could you elaborate on that?

Alex,

so wisdom has to be embodied in order to be wisdom? What if someone never makes any wise observations but their actions embody wisdom? Are they wise? If a wise person is someone who can embody unspoken wisdom, then are words of wisdom really wisdom or are they more like a faint suggestion of wisdom, like a shadow cast that hints at the presence of a thing without being the object itself?
How does an elephant know where to dig to find water? How do monarch butterflies know the exact time to begin their migration, and the exact path to follow? How do animals separated from their human friends know where to look for them, even acrossed many miles in places they have never been?

Nick,

Could you elaborate on that?

The ancient struggle; the secular vs. the sacred. As Jesus said we cannot serve two masters but how even to understand the choice? Jesus said to give to Caesar what is Caesar and to God what is God's but how to we distinguish between the two?

Wisdom was from the beginning and attracts the heart to the objective good. It is the domain of the sacred. The attraction to the objective good which includes objective wisdom is the attraction to a conscious perspective that resides between the secular and the source of creation. The secular in contrast attracts the personality to the benefits of conformity and tolerance. Its great danger is well described by Simone Weil:

"The danger is not lest the soul should doubt whether there is any bread, but lest, by a lie, it should persuade itself that it is not hungry."

The "Experts" of secularism as they teach conformity and the molding of the personality towards tolerance actually deny the natural attraction to wisdom by substituting external secular ethics and morals for inner understanding that leads to the experience of wisdom. Where secularism leads to "fragmentation" and specialization, wisdom seeks the higher perspective in which fragmentation exists as "one."

Fortunately, there have been a minority in the past and also in the present that have helped people to understand what Caesar and God offer, and if God is the priority, how people can come together in the pursuit of wisdom and the objective good at the expense of depending upon the influence of secular ethics and morals we are incapable of because of the nature of our being and how it manifests as hypocrisy.

The secular battle between faith and reason for example is meaningless from a higher conscious perspective that sees them both as necessary facets of the unity of reality that can come to be understood and the results manifested as wisdom.

So I salute these black sheep that are willing to psychologically move beyond dependence on secular goals, admit the human condition, and join in the mutual effort in pursuit of wisdom and objective human meaning and purpose.

Wisdom is knowing that space is infinite.
Wisdom is knowing that all things are connected.
Wisdom is knowing that all things exist in and are made of the one infinite source.
Wisdom is knowing that there is more going on than humans will ever understand.
Wisdom is knowing that fear itself is the only evil.
Wisdom is knowing that existing in love is the goal.

God is full of wisdom because God knows without doubt the quintessential structure of existence. God is full of wisdom because God is full of love. Humans on the other hand fumble around the simplest truths and are often afraid. Humans choose to ignore the wisdom that is all around them.
How does one attain wisdom? Live a life filled with love for all things and never fear what may come in this life, or the here after…
~Bruno

Wisdom exists in retrospect when one has leveled up. It's the profit one collects from having achieved a broader perspective.

Chris

I'd like to think that not all my wisdom is from my own screwups, although those are probably the most well learned.

I like to think I can learn from other people's screwups too. Like, what *not* to do.

as far as wisdom goes, im still looking. I dont think we use our "resourses" enough to help share wisdom. and by this i mean our parent, grandparents and the older generation.

Their experience and knowledge should account for alot more than we (society) do.

as a side note, at work, when there is a newbie starting, i show them the job , train them according to the manual, but always finish up by saying, "Dont stress too much if you make a mistake, Ive made em all. "
Lucky i dont have a high powered, life saving job, eh.? LOL

hi dauer and everyone, :) sorry i havent been around for some time, i have been having a long debate with a chap at ILP forums who believes in a kind of matrix god, and i am busy making a mythology mod for rtw [pc game] which is very time consuming.
also thanks to you guys here and many others, i am having a big rethink, so expect some new threads soon-ish.

_____________back on topic_______________________

an interesting point. people often put it down to special knowledge or experienced knowledge. my opinion is that we could have all the knowledge in the universe and still not be wise. for me it is the ability to ‘find’ an answer after contemplating a given question, so it belongs to the realm of the unknown and for me the awen ~ or the spiritual well of inspiration. ...and of course it is all about making the right decisions.

Back