Death?

Dream,

Hopefully that won't happen. I wouldn't start pulling blocks out from underneath, because you don't know everything that is stacked on top.

I don't know what this is in reference to. Do you mean booing during the Torah reading? It's a practice in at least one synagogue, and a visiting rabbi praised it. I think it's very holy to do so. There was a hasidic rebbe who put G!d on trial. I think that's holy too. It's in line with Abraham challenging G!d, and Moses. I don't see Judaism as a religion of submission to dogma, but instead of wrestling with dogma and growing due to it, a religion built on challenging ideas and adapting to changing circumstances.

What impact do you think it would have had upon you had you never heard of the destruction of Amalek?

If I never heard of the destruction of Amalek, I would not have opposed the attempt to justify it. That is one of the valuable things I find in wrestling with Torah honestly. Torah reflects both the positives and negative of human nature and it can be very empowering to challenge it when it is wrong and act on that. Knowing the way my ancestors demonized Amalek, how can I let myself do the same?

How, for instance, would you have known to reject supernaturalism?

No impact on my rejection of supernaturalism which has nothing to do with ethics. You must remember, I was raised in a liberal community. As I invested myself into Judaism and spirituality much further than other members of my family, I found myself moving further to the left, first toward reconstructionism (naturalism, mitzvot are folkways, Judaism is an "evolving religious civilization", tradition gets a "vote but not a veto") and then toward Jewish Renewal when I found too much emphasis on culture in Recon and found myself continually gravitating toward mysticism most especially in neo-hasidic and syncretic guises.

All of the modern movements except for Orthodoxy consider modern biblical criticism a valid approach to Torah. That means that it is valid within most of Judaism to speak of P and J or of propaganda and polemic on the part of various figures and how some of this might show through in texts that are traditionally considered to be earlier. None of the liberal movements consider the written and oral Torahs to have been literally received at Sinai. Further, it is a Jewish tradition to challenge things that don't make sense. The Talmud includes a statement by R' Akiva which is usually translated as "The Torah speaks in the language of man." It's a beautiful innovation that I think is widely applicable to translate antiquated G!d-language into a modern idiom. Rambam used this statement to back up his understanding that all G!d-language is entirely allegorical and G!d is not anthropomorphic. This is however a creative interpretation. In context R' Akiva is referring to a figure of speech stated by a human being in the Tanach. The phrase is just as easily, and in context more realistically, translated as "The Torah is speaking in the language of man." Rambam of course was the person who applied Aristotle -- very en vogue at the time due to the Muslim translation of greek philosophy into arabic -- to Torah and is considered one of the greatest rabbis of all time. His son would go on to lead a community of Jewish sufis in Egypt that continued for a few generations.

There is a midrash about Avram in his father's shop where he built idols. He smashed all of them and placed the hammer into the hand of the largest, which he left standing. His father came back and Avram pointed to the idol: "He did it." That kind of iconoclasm is central to Judaism as I experience it. One of the interesting things about that passage, in the end there's still one idol standing, hammer in hand. Most people reading that passage will certainly think it's silly that a stone statue could do such, but then they erect their own idol, an invisible one, to whom they attribute great power.

The prophets regularly challenge existing religious norms in addition to the ethical ones they are sometimes more recognized for. The Torah spends a lot of time detailing the Temple Cult. And yet there are prophets who say G!d doesn't want qorbanot. As I read that, they're admitting that some passages in the Torah are limited to a particular place and time and way of doing things.

One important principle in rabbinic Judaism is that "it's not in heaven" or rather, that since Sinai Torah is in the hands of man to do with. I'm sure you know the context in which that statement originally appears and that this is a fairly liberal interpretation. Yet for Judaism to grow beyond the paradigm of the Temple Cult it was a very important interpretation to make.

My own perspective is more in line with these principles:

http://www.ohalah.org/guidelines/aleph_principles.pdf

though there may certainly be places that I would disagree or interpret differently than others. It is all placed in a certain mythical context that I think is very healthy but at the same time don't think should be taken literally.

I like the translation of Yisrael as G!dwrestler. I think it is something very necessary in this day, to challenge the status quo. And I think it is very Jewish to do so.

-- Dauer

Dauer said:
§1. I don't know what this is in reference to. Do you mean booing during the Torah reading? It's a practice in at least one synagogue, and a visiting rabbi praised it. I think it's very holy to do so.

§2. If I never heard of the destruction of Amalek, I would not have opposed the attempt to justify it. That is one of the valuable things I find in wrestling with Torah honestly.

§3. You must remember, I was raised in a liberal community. As I invested myself into Judaism and spirituality much further than other members of my family, I found myself moving further to the left, first toward reconstructionism (naturalism, mitzvot are folkways, Judaism is an "evolving religious civilization", tradition gets a "vote but not a veto") and then toward Jewish Renewal when I found too much emphasis on culture in Recon and found myself continually gravitating toward mysticism most especially in neo-hasidic and syncretic guises.

§4. All of the modern movements except for Orthodoxy consider modern biblical criticism a valid approach to Torah. That means that it is valid within most of Judaism to speak of P and J or of propaganda and polemic on the part of various figures and how some of this might show through in texts that are traditionally considered to be earlier. None of the liberal movements consider the written and oral Torahs to have been literally received at Sinai. Further, it is a Jewish tradition to challenge things that don't make sense. The Talmud includes a statement by R' Akiva which is usually translated as "The Torah speaks in the language of man."
§1 Dauer, I wasn't referring to the booing. Actually, with a prayerful mindset of humility I can see even booing as a respectful practice. Truth really is stranger than fiction sometimes.

§2 That is really what I was referring to - the erasure of what is past. You wouldn't erase it and still expect future generations to learn from it, so I just misunderstood what you meant by 'Transcend'.

§3 I do not really have a feel for what it is like to grow up in a 'Liberal' environment, which I view through those I have met who did. :) I once thought of myself as a very sincere 'spiritual' conservative Christian child, and my first world excluded all 'unspiritual' people and 'non-Christians', rock'n roll, and anything scary, Satanic, or with kissing in it. At the same time I was proud to be part of a progressive interracial congregation (liberal?) which considered white and black as the same, yet ironically I remember burning rock'n roll media in a dumpster at a church event. (?) A few years later, I heard Madonna in cars that passed me going the other way, with their volume pushed to obnoxious levels. In the 9th grade I started attending public schools, and my bus driver played current 80's pop music on the radio (Bangles, Will Smith, etc.). Nowadays I'm flexible instead of fearful about what I see and hear, and I know that strict control of my environment or even of myself is not as productive as the appreciation of things and keeping productively busy. Control and rules merely deceive people into thinking that they have changed. Now I think that all people -- even the most conservative, internally consider themselves to be liberal, but how can beings subject to time and short lived ever truly overcome precedents? Won't that which was be again?

§4 Fascinating post and personally interesting. I had heard of Reconstructionist but not of Renewal or all of the neo stuff you mentioned. By Rambam you mean Maimonides, who is somewhere on my reading list. So is Aristotle, though. :(

Dream,

It sounds like an interracial congregation may have been liberal in your community. Liberal in my community means that, when the members of the congregation designed a pair of faith quilts and one person wanted to make her square a rainbow colored vulva as a reference to the Divine Feminine ( Love In Action » Hesed: Shul Connections :: Temple Beth Zion in Brookline, Massachusetts ) that was A OK and the two quilts that were made are now mounted on the right and left in the front of the synagogue. It also means that an openly transexual rabbi would probably be okay (at least on paper, some congregations might not be okay with that) and it's alright for the rabbi to criticize traditional theology sometimes and state that he doesn't have the answers himself. This is a bit different from the community where I grew up. I attended a Conservative synagogue even though my family was Reform in practice. The services there were not very spiritually engaging nor did they have very high attendance unless it was a bar mitzvah or one of the high holidays. There was a lot of conflict between old members of the synagogue who were against any innovation or flexibility and young members who wanted to see a lot of change happening. My parent's synagogue has changed a lot recently in part because of a new rabbi and in part because many of the old members have died off or moved to Florida. When I was little I remember one time an openly gay rabbi came to lead Shabbos while the synagogue was interviewing for new rabbis and his sexual orientation was a problem for the old-timers, so in large part for that reason he was rejected. There was also a really high bimah, I don't know the English word, a stage in front, on which the rabbi would stand and speak down to the congregation. That is modeled after some types of Church design. In my current synagogue, the rabbi is on level and closer to the congregation and prays in the same direction as everyone else. That's actually a more traditional format.

Personally, in my family I'm often seen as more conservative because an embrace of liberal ideology coincided with an embrace of religious practice and engaged spirituality. To many Jews including many of my extended family members, any increase in religiosity is an increase in conservatism that's heading in the direction of Orthodoxy. The exceptions to that rule are most often recon and renewal.

Many of the Jews who originally came to the US were looking to blend in and not be noticed while others were happy to be free from communities where religious authority and communal pressure to be religious was inescapable and others were mad at G!d for the Holocaust. There's quite a lack of religious observance in the larger liberal community and that goes for most of my family too. In more recent recent years that's been shifting a bit as young Jews have begun embracing that which makes them unique from the larger population.

I think conservatism and liberalism are both quite healthy and help to balance each other out. I also think it's important to distinguish between those who are truly conservative which I would see as a position of caution when approaching change to what has been established and those who are neo-conservatives. Neo-conservatism doesn't seem very conservative to me at all.

I probably have ended up where I currently am in part because I wasn't willing to compromise the pull I feel toward G!d and spiritual practice or my values.

how can beings subject to time and short lived ever truly overcome precedents? Won't that which was be again?

To me it seems like societies swing between the two pole of conservatism and liberalism. Change happens. Then there's a stabilizing period. More change. More stabilizing. Ad infinitum. I have seen strong similarities at the poles of liberalism and conservatism. When you get to either side there can be so much absolute thinking. I think that's probably why some people gravitate to the extremes. It's something that can put me at odds with some of the folks in Renewal. I am an analytical skeptic by nature and have no qualms with questioning perspectives that are taken for granted. But then, I think it's probably true in all communities that many are willing to sacrifice their individuality in order to be a part of a herd. I have no desire to make such a sacrifice. Why I pray in shul I can blend in with the many. After prayer is over I can continue to be an individual.

-- Dauer

Last edited:
Hello, dauer

Do you remember when you were a child? when you were unable to understand the dangerous things from the safe ones, and your parents used to frighten you or encourage you by some gifts to avoid that bad things, and listen to their advices? do you remember?

At that small age, werent you following your parents' speech out of fear or for the sake of getting the gift?? Then, when you have grown up, you come to understand that avoiding that dangerous things, and doing the right things is the best gift in itself. You become no longer in need of motivation, unless you weaken and come to think of doing the bad. That fear of punishmnet (manifesting parents' dissatsfaction) may work as embidement in your way to fall and get harmed.

The same status now with people and God, the most merciful and compassionate.

people with " small age of eminence, and spiritual experience"...people with very little or no understanding of the dangerous things from the safe/ good ones really need hell/ paradise as a motivation in order to move forward in their spiritual development...do you see God's mercy?....when those people experience that sweetiness of Spirit within, that bewithched contact with God, that wisdom behind teachings (forbidden/allowed), they get higher spiritually, and then they begin to worship God out of love....love to that Merciful creator....

Therefore, we cant neglect the importance of hell/ paradise as a motivator to our spiritual development, esp at certain age, phsically or spritually...

Now, we come to another issue: does this mean that hell/paradise doesnt really exist, and that they work only as motivators to our sprituall development? For me,the answer is : No. God is gracious and thankfull, and He will reward those who strive with might and mean for His sake. Rabiaa laadawiya, a femal Muslim sufi, used to say:" O! God. I worship you, not out of fear from your hell, not out of greedness of your paradise, but out of love to you"...how beautiful!! but the most beautiful thing is that creator is more loving than us...He is the most loving...He is the most thankfull...hence, we would be completely impolite if refuse His gifts and presents...

But do hell/ paradise work only as motivators???

I want to ask you: do you think it is fair that some people in this earth were/are/will be liable to suffering, killing, sexual abuse, intolerance, slavery, and all kind of injustice without being compensated for that? do you think it is fair that the life of those was spent just in suffering with no one to take venage for them, and compensate them happy days with those which were so sad? where is Gos' justice?

I want to ask you: do you think it is fair that some people lived/live/ will live at the expense of others without paying for that? do you think it it is just for those opressors/killers/ sexual abusers/ terrorists to live peacefully without paying for the hearts they broke, the blood the shed, and the tears they caused others to burst? Where is God's justice? can you tell me, dauer? where is God's justice?

God doesnt create this world in vain....God created this world to distinguish His true followers from those who arent. To distinguish those who humbly listen to Him from those who arrogantly ignore His words. To distinguish those who do goods fro those who dont. AND THAT' WHY HE CREATED US. We are in a trial and test. And how lucky are those who stand straight and strong in His way, follow Him, and establish with him that solid oath of love and devotion

I know this is for Dauer, but I hope it's OK if I respond too. Personally, I know that feeling good in doing good comes from God. I think the "why" is that there is the light of God within me, and God is all goodness.

I feel joy in union with God, but I guess I figure if all I get is the union with God I've had during this life, it's still amazing and something for which to be grateful. Anything past this life will be amazing and gratitude inspiring at that moment. I don't see how my looking forward to a gift I haven't received yet helps. It takes my eye off the gift I am receiving in this moment now.

I think God inherently creates. I don't think there is a purpose, per se, but rather that God is love and love is inherently creative. I find that beautiful- love for love's sake. Life for life's sake.

Hello, path of one

I always find a great joy in reading your posts for most of them bear within that touch of emotions steming from your union with GOD..Emotions, which I am sure, you couldnt wholly and fully express through words, but, eventough, they really affected me, and touched my heart..

I like your sentence:" I find that beautiful love for love's sake"....this kind of love is the most beautiful thing can a person give or recieve. BUT, not any person can give such love, but only those of clean hearts, and those who are spiritually developed.

God is the most loving. Be sure, if we give Him love, we will recieve what we have ever never dreamt of. A great part of that love will be witnessed in this earth. But the full and complete reward will be lived in the afterlife. HE is the most thankfull, path of one. We will be rewarded even though we dont love Him for the sake of any reward. BUT,God is the most thankfull. He cant let those who love Him, and do good for His own sake without any rewards.

Life isnt for life's sake. It is as if saying a test for a test's sake. Is that logic? can God see all those who suffer in this earth, and not take revange for them? can God see all these people do good for His own sake, bear all the troubles to make the truth higher, give many sacrifices to help those in need, and He wont reward them? For me, He cant. Then, he wouldnt be JUST, MERCIFULL, COMPASSIONATE,THANKFULL...... If you think that God created life just for life 'sake, then you deattach God from His Holy features, the most important of which is THE WISE.

I can say my parents did not frighten me or bribe me to get me to obey. I was taught to question everything and to understand the reasons for right action. I made it to adulthood not only in OK condition but also understanding why I should be good. I don't think kids need to be frightened or bribed into right behavior. Even my horse does not require such treatment. In fact, horses that are bribed or frightened are typically quite dangerous and unpredictable.

As for justice, I believe all that is necessary is that I have faith in God's justice. I don't need to believe in heaven or hell to have faith that God is ultimately in control and that all will be in accord with His will. I do not need to comprehend how the justice works to believe in it. In fact, I think the more specific details I believe in, the more I am trying to "box" God in rather than simply trusting.

I think the best response to injustice in the world is to join God in promoting justice and mercy. The problem with beliefs in heaven and hell is that some people are pacified into being OK with injustice now because they hope it will be corrected later, rather than seeing humans themselves as an instrument of God in justice. This is partially why Marx said "religion is the opiate of the masses." Rather than fighting for justice now, they just dream of heaven and allow themselves to be trampled. I don't think that's the right approach.

Life isnt for life's sake. It is as if saying a test for a test's sake. Is that logic? can God see all those who suffer in this earth, and not take revange for them? can God see all these people do good for His own sake, bear all the troubles to make the truth higher, give many sacrifices to help those in need, and He wont reward them? For me, He cant. Then, he wouldnt be JUST, MERCIFULL, COMPASSIONATE,THANKFULL...... If you think that God created life just for life 'sake, then you deattach God from His Holy features, the most important of which is THE WISE.

Hello- you responded while I was posting! :)

I do not see life as a test, so I think that is the difference, perhaps in how we are seeing things. I don't see life as a trial, but rather as a gift. To breathe is to receive an amazing gift. I don't know if that is logical but it is just how I feel. Life, like love, is inherently a gift from God and so I'm thankful. I do not feel a need to think beyond this gratitude, and seeing life as a trial to be endured or as a test to pass is, to me, to miss the point... which is love and joy. Love and joy can be had in any circumstance, believe it or not. Even in intense physical pain, I have felt the love of God and the joy of being alive.

As for justice- no, I do not believe God needs or takes revenge. I do not believe we are rewarded for good works. I think revenge and a desire for reward are human traits and if I am able already, in my state of sin and limitation, to rise above these on a semi-regular basis and be wholly loving towards other beings... I think how much more can God do this? When I am in a space of unconditional love for others, I do not see any point in revenge or punishment. What I see is a lot of people who are lost, broken, and damaged... lashing out from this condition as an animal in a trap lashes out in pain. Even what appears to be evil, I believe stems from fear, insecurity, and pain in those who have not yet found the strength of God to overcome it. I know this is where all my own evil impulses come from. When I see people this way, I am able to forgive them and still see it as a just response. This does not mean they have not suffered (or will suffer) by the consequences of their sins, but that God will ultimately forgive them.

But then, I am not Jewish so I am not sure how Dauer would respond.

Dialogue,

Do you remember when you were a child? when you were unable to understand the dangerous things from the safe ones, and your parents used to frighten you or encourage you by some gifts to avoid that bad things, and listen to their advices? do you remember?

At that small age, werent you following your parents' speech out of fear or for the sake of getting the gift?? Then, when you have grown up, you come to understand that avoiding that dangerous things, and doing the right things is the best gift in itself. You become no longer in need of motivation, unless you weaken and come to think of doing the bad. That fear of punishmnet (manifesting parents' dissatsfaction) may work as embidement in your way to fall and get harmed.

I didn't have that experience with my parents so much. They didn't try to scare me. They did certainly punish me sometimes but they didn't scare me. At other times they did motivate me with rewards for doing the right thing. In this sense I would suggest you are supporting my argument about donkeys. You are drawing direct parallels to that argument in the way that humans can be trained.

people with " small age of eminence, and spiritual experience"...people with very little or no understanding of the dangerous things from the safe/ good ones really need hell/ paradise as a motivation in order to move forward in their spiritual development..

No they don't. Many small children aren't raised with the concept of hell/paradise and do just fine. If you mean that, like donkeys, they need a carrot or a whip sometimes, as it were, then maybe.

Therefore, we cant neglect the importance of hell/ paradise as a motivator to our spiritual development, esp at certain age, phsically or spritually...

And yet there are many people in the world who get on fine without those concepts and may reach very advanced spiritual and moral levels of development.

He is the most loving...

If G!d is most loving how can He fail to show mercy even to the greatest sinner?

Rabiaa laadawiya, a femal Muslim sufi, used to say:" O! God. I worship you, not out of fear from your hell, not out of greedness of your paradise, but out of love to you"

I'm familiar with Rabia's poetry. I enjoy it very much. And I understand your argument. I just disagree that it necessitates a heaven and a hell and see the application of heaven hell as comparable to the training of a donkey.

I want to ask you: do you think it is fair that some people in this earth were/are/will be liable to suffering, killing, sexual abuse, intolerance, slavery, and all kind of injustice without being compensated for that? do you think it is fair that the life of those was spent just in suffering with no one to take venage for them, and compensate them happy days with those which were so sad? where is Gos' justice?

It's not about what's fair. you're assuming an external Creator figure who has human-like qualities such as justice and mercy. I'm not.

Now if we're going with the traditional Jewish perspective, G!d's justice is always tempered by His mercy. That is why there is no Jewish hell. Gehenna is a temporary place. Those who could not be transformed by Gehenna mercifully have their souls extinguished rather than leave them in eternal torment. Those who are transformed by gehenna still make it to gan eden. In that sense it's not a place of punishment but of accelerated growth that is difficult, that is a place of suffering, because it is in the difficult times in our lives that we find the most opportunity for growth. There is also the possibility within the Jewish tradition that they might be reincarnated to work through their problems that way. And far be it the place of humans to say who goes where. It's possible, if Hitler could have been transformed in gehenna, that he could have made it into gan eden. And in gehenna I would think that any petty human need for vengeance on the part of those who have been harmed by others would be tempered away.

God doesnt create this world in vain....God created this world to distinguish His true followers from those who arent.

That is your belief, not mine. As I told you in a previous post, I don't believe in a supernatural Creator. Maybe one exists, maybe not. I have found no reason to accept such a belief. If I die and meet the Creator, that will be proof for me. Until then I have no reason to make that type of assumption. I can experience myself as created in the sense that I am a byproduct of the universe. I can connect via that relational archetype if I so choose by projecting anthropomorphism back onto Reality. But that does not to me necessitate a supernatural Creator, only the human longing for connection with Being and the projection of human experiences to facilitate that connection. I apologize if some of the English I'm using now is a little difficult for you. Your English is very good and at the same time I also realize it is a second language for you. I just don't know how else to word what I have to say. If you are understanding what I am saying that is great. It makes dialogue easier.

Path,

Even what appears to be evil, I believe stems from fear, insecurity, and pain in those who have not yet found the strength of God to overcome it. I know this is where all my own evil impulses come from.

It's interesting that you say that. There's a rabbinic psychological model of the yetzer tov and the yetzer ra. The yetzer tov is the good inclination, that is, the ability to transcend the yetzer ra. The yetzer ra is the evil inclination, identified with the base drives and not necessarily evil, only when we let it determine our actions. At the same time, when tempered by the yetzer tov, it can be seen as a source of good without which one would get very little accomplished. Sometimes HaSatan is identified with the yetzer ra. HaSatan of course is not considered evil in the Jewish tradition, rather a servant of G!d, but he is a source of suffering and hardship for man.

-- Dauer

I can say my parents did not frighten me or bribe me to get me to obey. I was taught to question everything and to understand the reasons for right action. I made it to adulthood not only in OK condition but also understanding why I should be good. I don't think kids need to be frightened or bribed into right behavior. Even my horse does not require such treatment. In fact, horses that are bribed or frightened are typically quite dangerous and unpredictable.

As for justice, I believe all that is necessary is that I have faith in God's justice. I don't need to believe in heaven or hell to have faith that God is ultimately in control and that all will be in accord with His will. I do not need to comprehend how the justice works to believe in it. In fact, I think the more specific details I believe in, the more I am trying to "box" God in rather than simply trusting.

I think the best response to injustice in the world is to join God in promoting justice and mercy. The problem with beliefs in heaven and hell is that some people are pacified into being OK with injustice now because they hope it will be corrected later, rather than seeing humans themselves as an instrument of God in justice. This is partially why Marx said "religion is the opiate of the masses." Rather than fighting for justice now, they just dream of heaven and allow themselves to be trampled. I don't think that's the right approach.

You said you used to ask questions when you were a child to understand the reality of things. And I wonder if your parents were telling you the complete truth all the time, or they used to mix the truth with some scaring / rewarding statements to make you take the right actions, taking into consideration the level of your understanding at that small age.( you can ask parents about this)

God's justice doesnt contradict with God's mercy. Because He is Merciful, He sent prophets and messangers. Pharoah, for example, spread injustice and cruelty all over his land. God didnt punish him right away. What did He do? He sent the prophet Moses (pbuh) to ask Pharoah to repent for what he had done, fix what he had damaged, and submit to Him. BUT, Pharoah ARROGANTLY neglected Moses's advices, and he insisted in what he was doing. Here, we all see how God was MERCIFUL, and also we see how Pharoah was cruel and arrogant. Hence, he has to pay for his own choices as we are free-willed. God punish those who arrogantly insist in doing bad, defying Him, eventhough, He gives them so many chances. The chances which come out of His mercy.

you said you dont need to see how God's justice work to believe in it. That's very nice, but more understanding to that justice will surely lead you to more understanding of God, and hence more profound contact with Him.

I agree with you concerning Marx's statement that religion is the opiate of the masses if we take into consideration its historical context when the church was using its authority to work for the benefit of the feudals at the expense of the peasants.

BUT, what will be your comment if I tell you that God will not forgive those who submit in a humiliate way to those who oppress them, without defending themselves, and protecting their rights. God has dignified all people, and He wont fogive those who let others humiliate them. Every human being is asked to defend his/ her dignity. God will forgive only those who are helpless such old men, women, and children. (from an Islamic point of view, this is clearly stated in the Holy Quran)

Hello- you responded while I was posting! :)

I do not see life as a test, so I think that is the difference, perhaps in how we are seeing things. I don't see life as a trial, but rather as a gift. To breathe is to receive an amazing gift. I don't know if that is logical but it is just how I feel. Life, like love, is inherently a gift from God and so I'm thankful. I do not feel a need to think beyond this gratitude, and seeing life as a trial to be endured or as a test to pass is, to me, to miss the point... which is love and joy. Love and joy can be had in any circumstance, believe it or not. Even in intense physical pain, I have felt the love of God and the joy of being alive.

As for justice- no, I do not believe God needs or takes revenge. I do not believe we are rewarded for good works. I think revenge and a desire for reward are human traits and if I am able already, in my state of sin and limitation, to rise above these on a semi-regular basis and be wholly loving towards other beings... I think how much more can God do this? When I am in a space of unconditional love for others, I do not see any point in revenge or punishment. What I see is a lot of people who are lost, broken, and damaged... lashing out from this condition as an animal in a trap lashes out in pain. Even what appears to be evil, I believe stems from fear, insecurity, and pain in those who have not yet found the strength of God to overcome it. I know this is where all my own evil impulses come from. When I see people this way, I am able to forgive them and still see it as a just response. This does not mean they have not suffered (or will suffer) by the consequences of their sins, but that God will ultimately forgive them.

But then, I am not Jewish so I am not sure how Dauer would respond.

yeah, path. life is a great gif. I dont deny that. we have to thank God for it ever moring and night. Some scholars said: there is a paradise in earth, if one hasnt entered it, then he/she wouldnt enter the one in the afterlife. this heaven is the the contact with God.

when we are in deep contact with God, one can bear all the troubles in this earth with contented, satisfying heart. BUT, and AGAIN, if we assume that God created this all beautiful, complicated and amazing universe in vain, then we are putting His feature as THE WISER under investigation. Is He Wise or not? and if He is,what's the wisdom behind creating this amazing universe?

From your posts, I get the feeling that you are a spiritually advanced person. Even reading your post gives one comfort and peace let alone if we one talk with you personally.

Dear path of one, there are some people who have luckily grown up in a clean, loving, and faithful familial environment. And this is a great gift from God that we shouldnt stop thanking God for.

I see that you are caring, loving, and peace maker person. I understand how you see things, and how you look at all those who come to damage and harm others. I really understand. BUt, what if you give all understanding, and care to them , and they insist on what they do. AT the very end, we are all free-willed (if we exclude some psycological situation), and they choose their acts. And they have to pay for their acts if they are bad (note: God doesnt take revenge for Him, but for those who were oppressed), and they will be rewarded if their acts are good.(note: God reward because He is EMBRACING, THANKFUL, GRATEFUL, eventough all we do is for our benefit, not for His own as He is FREE FROM ALL WANTS)

IF there was no purpose behind creating this world, then why hadnt God created us with only good/ angel aspects.? Why did he create that evil aspects inside us??? The answer in my perspective is that because we are in a trial in this earth, and we are to decide which part to follow: the good or the evil one.

You said you used to ask questions when you were a child to understand the reality of things. And I wonder if your parents were telling you the complete truth all the time, or they used to mix the truth with some scaring / rewarding statements to make you take the right actions, taking into consideration the level of your understanding at that small age.( you can ask parents about this)

No, my parents did not lie to me. They did not mix the truth with scaring or rewarding statements. They just told me the truth, and encouraged me to ask questions. When they did not know an answer, they told me they did not know. So I grew up understanding that it is appropriate to ask questions, it is a good thing to pursue information and truth, it is wrong to lie or bend the truth, and it is OK to say "I don't know" if I don't. I disagree with the idea of parents lying to their kids or twisting the truth, scaring their children or bribing them. I think it is degrading to children's intelligence and capacity, and I think it makes children as they grow up less likely to trust their parents and talk with them. This is what I noticed among my friends as I grew up.

God punish those who arrogantly insist in doing bad, defying Him, eventhough, He gives them so many chances. The chances which come out of His mercy.

I don't read the Bible as a literal historical document. I read it as a people's commentary on history and their religion and society. I do not think God literally punishes people. I can understand, however, why people do think this and what the psychological pay off is for believing such. That's OK. I think God is what God is regardless of people's ideas about the matter, so whatever belief system works well for a person and doesn't harm others is fine to me.

you said you dont need to see how God's justice work to believe in it. That's very nice, but more understanding to that justice will surely lead you to more understanding of God, and hence more profound contact with Him.

I disagree. I seek to experience God, not to understand God. I think God is too big and non-human for my puny mind to grasp. But I can experience God's love, joy, peace, and so forth. I am comfortable with my place and my unknowing. I am comfortable with God being so much greater than I can understand. I don't seek to understand God, because I think the probability that I would simply become attached to my own ideas about God are much greater than the probability that I would actually understand God.

I agree with you concerning Marx's statement that religion is the opiate of the masses if we take into consideration its historical context when the church was using its authority to work for the benefit of the feudals at the expense of the peasants.

You can't see how religion allows some people today to justify or be apathetic to injustice? You can't see how religion is used to justify horribly inhumane actions? I see it every day on the news... I think Marx' statement is as true as it ever was. Religion can be a wonderful thing, or it can be a tool for perpetuating injustice, apathy, inequality. Even though I have religion, I am honest about its capacity for harm.

BUT, what will be your comment if I tell you that God will not forgive those who submit in a humiliate way to those who oppress them, without defending themselves, and protecting their rights. God has dignified all people, and He wont fogive those who let others humiliate them.

This is just not my religious belief. I believe God forgives. And I think all people are clouded by their cultural conditioning, so to blame the victim doesn't help. As I am not Muslim, I am not bound by the teachings of the Koran. While I find wisdom in it, as I do in all sacred text, I have my own beliefs that are based in my own spiritual experience and inquiry. My experience of God is that God is forgiving and that God somehow understands human limitations such as social conditioning.

Peace,
Kim/Path

p.s: can someone tell me how to make the multi quotations of others, endowed with my own commentary:confused:.
I do it manually. in your case inserting [/qu!!ote] [qu!!ote=dailogue is the best;157655] everywhere I want to make a break and then insert my text between the the brackets. (now you gotta take out the !! or rather don't put in the !! I added in the middle of the word quote, I inserted those so the program wouldn't take over and actually put the quote box in here!!:D)
your welcome

What wil said, though I usually do it the lazy way, leave out the person's name, and just address them before quoting them.

I gotta admit I don't know. I mean I know people that know. And they are positive they are 100% right. Thing is I know a number of them that know but they are at odds with what they know and the other people know.

Live for today, be the best you can today. Don't worry about tomorrow.

Or be the best you can be in this life. Don't worry about the next life or the afterlife. That is what I think. You can spend this entire life arguing, discussing, contemplating what comes next, or just live.

And then there is my favorite question..."What if your wrong?" I love it when folks use that. I think it means they are putting up a good front but in reality, they are right there with me, they don't know. But someone else asked them the question...and it worked.

But do hell/ paradise work only as motivators???

I want to ask you: do you think it is fair that some people lived/live/ will live at the expense of others without paying for that? do you think it it is just for those opressors/killers/ sexual abusers/ terrorists to live peacefully without paying for the hearts they broke, the blood the shed, and the tears they caused others to burst? Where is God's justice? can you tell me, dauer? where is God's justice?

God doesnt create this world in vain....God created this world to distinguish His true followers from those who arent. To distinguish those who humbly listen to Him from those who arrogantly ignore His words. To distinguish those who do goods fro those who dont. AND THAT' WHY HE CREATED US. We are in a trial and test. And how lucky are those who stand straight and strong in His way, follow Him, and establish with him that solid oath of love and devotion
From the Judaic faith(s), God is the ultimate judge. And we are told "Vengence is mine" Sayeth the Lord.

No one gets off scott free. Even in nature, the laws of physics point this out. Newton's third law of motion states: "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

Harm someone, and be harmed, help someone and be helped. It's only a matter of time before the complete (action/reaction), can be observed.

Q,

That is not an accurate portrayal of Judaism.

-- Dauer

Jewish ethics are based around the idea of teshuva, returning, not on punishment for each misstep. There is no emphasis on a vengeful G!d, but instead the emphasis is on the attributes revealed at mount sinai, a compassionate, merciful and forgiving G!d. Within Judaism if a person "misses the mark" through some negative action, it is a matter of making good on the wrong that was done. There are other ways of making good on one's wrongs, such as charity. As I stated earlier in this thread, from a traditional perspective it is still possible that Hitler made it to Gan Eden if he was able to transform in Gehenna. There is also contemporary theology that rejects literal anthropomorphisms like G!d as Judge.

Further, your statement touches on the issue of theodicy which is a bit more layered and nuanced with multiple perspectives on the issue. This has only become more complex since the Holocaust as the perspective either of blaming the victim or that G!d was testing individuals was put on trial by the gas chambers.

-- Dauer

Back