Gods name

a superstitious idea arose among the Jews that it was wrong to say the divine name out loud;
Interesting, the folks that wrote the book don't know what they are doing. Glad we have you to set us right.
good verses there :) very true

knowing is what it is all about:) which brings John 17;3 to mind

This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.
How can a monotheist have the only true G!d? Who are these other gods you admit to?

As for the names and pronunciations of Jehovah. I'd say if you asked 100 people in every one of those languages the name of the creator you'd not get the responses you'd like. But then you'd say they don't know the bible.

quite convenient that.

Interesting, the folks that wrote the book don't know what they are doing.

quote]
i think you will find they knew exactly what they were doing . many become influenced by thoughts of men , even translators .

When it came to God's name, instead of putting the proper vowel signs around it, in most cases they put other vowel signs to remind the reader that he should say 'Adho·nai'.(sovreign Lord)

thats how much the superstition had made head way ,

Throughout the history of the Israelites right up until the time that they returned to Judah after their captivity in Babylon, Jehovah's name continued in common usage.

King David, a man agreeable to God's own heart, used the divine name extensively—it appears hundreds of times in the psalms that he wrote. acts 13;22

God's name was also incorporated in many Israelite personal names. Thus we read of Adonijah ("My Lord Is Jah"—"Jah" is a shortened form of Jehovah),

Isaiah ("Salvation of Jehovah"),

Jonathan ("Jehovah Has Given"),

Micah ("Who is like Jah?")

and Joshua ("Jehovah Is Salvation").

How can a monotheist have the only true G!d? Who are these other gods you admit to?

quote]
make no mistake there are many so called Gods out there , but there is only one MOST HIGH psalm 83;18.
:)

I quite like the Holman Bible it is very clear about how the name of God is translated

How certain names and terms are translated

The names of God: The Holman Christian Standard Bible OT consistently translates the Hebrew names for God as follows:

Holman CSB English Hebrew original
God: Elohim
LORD: YHWH (Yahweh)
Lord: Adonai
Lord GOD: Adonai Yahweh
LORD of Hosts: Yahweh Sabaoth
God Almighty: El Shaddai

However, the Holman CSB OT uses Yahweh, the personal name of God in Hebrew, when a biblical text emphasizes Yahweh as a name: His name is Yahweh (Ps 68:4). Yahweh is used more often in the Holman CSB than in most Bible translations because the word LORD in English is a title of God and does not accurately convey to modern readers the emphasis on God's name in the original Hebrew.

We see plainly that the Israelites considered it most improper to use the full name in day-to-day usage.
and yet their own scriptures said some thing quite the opposite , JEHOVAH wanted his name to be made known

but they thought up their own thoughts :( silly superstitions even removed the name from the scriptures . not good

I quite like the Holman Bible it is very clear about how the name of God is translated
yes , many translations have removed the name completley and just put titles in instead such as LORD .

Gods name has great meaning it means HE CAUSE TO BECOME :)

According to the King James Version rendering of Exodus 3:13, 14, Moses asked: "When I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you."

About this text, The Pentateuch and Haftorahs (Hebrew text with English translation and exposition, edited by Dr. J. H. Hertz) says that in the phrase "I am that I am . . . the emphasis is on the active manifestation of the Divine existence." Its use as a title or name for God was therefore appropriate because by delivering them from Egyptian bondage, God was about to manifest his existence in behalf of his people in an outstanding way.

Hertz says that "most moderns follow Rashi [a renowned medieval French Bible and Talmud commentator] in rendering ‘I will be what I will be.’" This agrees with the rendering of the New World Translation, which reads: "I SHALL PROVE TO BE WHAT I SHALL PROVE TO BE."

I heard JHVH was pronounced... YAHAVA... as the JHVH (tetragrammaton) did not have vowels... I can see then how this became Jehovah...

Back