Why did Jesus teach in parables??

So Judas
was and is dead in the grave where the rest of mankind who died is. and at the day of the lord (judgment he will rise and be saved just like every single person who ever live on this earth.

those in sheol will be resurrected, so the question is ......... where is Judas? is he in sheol or is he in Ghenna

The course that Judas chose was a deliberate one, involving malice, greed, pride, hypocrisy, and scheming.

He afterward felt remorse under the burden of guilt, as a willful murderer might at the result of his crime.

Yet Judas had of his own volition made a bargain with those who Jesus said made proselytes that were subjects of Gehenna twice as much as themselves, who were also liable to "the judgment of Gehenna." (Mt 23:15, 33)

On the final night of his earthly life, Jesus himself said, actually about Judas: "It would have been finer for that man if he had not been born." Later Christ called him "the son of destruction."—Mr 14:21; Joh 17:12; Heb 10:26-29.

When I was with them I used to watch over them on account of your own name which you have given me; and I have kept them, and not one of them is destroyed except the son of destruction, in order that the scripture might be fulfilled. john 17;12

When he committed suicide, he went to Gehenna. He will have no resurrection, even in the flesh on earth.

those in sheol will have a resurrection, those in ghenna will not

Dear Mee,

I would gladly acknowledge that I do not know if this (quoted above) is so, and that would be because of my ignorance, for I have been careless to study contentious issues.

You, however, state this (quoted above) as fact, due to your studied "knowledge," yet you do not really know this to be true.

If you believe it to be true, it might be true for you (only in your mind), and thus it constitutes your faith. But, in spite of the purity of your conviction, you could just as well be holding forth a falsity, propagating it as the heavenly reality, that is, the truth of heaven, or in this case, the true setup of the heavenly spheres.

The question arises: If those in one holding lot await a resurrection in vain, what are they waiting for, and why are they kept?

And, oh yes, why are they kept, solely in the memory of God, of course?

Respectfully,

Learner

Edit: Added a Postscript:-

those in sheol will have a (resurrection) party, those in ghenna will not :)

There is a moral dimension to the notion of suffering.

The idea that God punishes someone has only one moral value — that by the process the person might learn, and change. If the person cannot learn or cannot change, then there is no value in suffering, and to inflict suffering on someone who cannot learn nor change as a result is cruel and vindictive.

If then, in the afterlife, we cannot change, then the punishment of sinners becomes a bad thing. They derive no benefit from it, and neither does God. The only 'justification' is payback ...

Furthermore, if suffering is eternal, and therefore infinite, then very quickly the suffering is out of all proportion to the finite wrong that was its cause.

Like hitting a kid for being cheeky, but just going on ... hitting ... hitting ... hitting ... forever ...

Not a very pleasant picture. Not a very pleasant deity.

+++

If however, Our Lord was alluding to something else, that it's not a case of God tormenting you forever because you were bad, but rather that should you choose to refuse life in God (which is Love — 1 John 4:8), then there is nowhere else to go ... if you choose not to enter the light ... there is only darkness.

So there's another parable, not of a place of flames ... but of darkness ... cold ... nothingness ...

Thomas

At Matthew 13:34, 35, we read: "Jesus spoke to the crowds by illustrations...

Hate to say it, Mee, but really, translating parabole as 'illustration' is really, really clunky ... a very poor term to translate a very rich one.

When you consider the meanings of the Hebrew term, masal, which the Greeks translated as parabole, then you'll see that 'illustration' would have a Jew shaking his head at the poverty of the language.

Just one example of where you might claim accuracy with regard to the letter, but you've missed the spirit of the thing altogether.

See my post 54 above.

Thomas

Hello —

... all parables have a spiritual lessons. Not one of Jesus parables was to be taken literally. But to understand spiritual parables and words of spirit one must have the Spirit.
I agree, I would also say however, that in the Spirit, the literal becomes true ...

In the Parables of the Kingdom, for example, the point is that the Kingdom was there in the Person of Jesus ... He is the Kingdom, and where He is, the Way of the Kingdom rules: The suffering are comforted, the sick are healed, the sinner forgiven, the dead are raised to life ...

Thomas

Interesting comment - I was under the impression that "sheol" simply meant the grave, while Gahenna was the big burning rubbish dump outside of Jerusalem in the Valley of Hinnom.

I find it strange you ascribe clearly different spiritual meanings to these when both are usually translated in the KJV at least as "hell", along with the reference to Hades.

Nick you asked (In my opinion) what happen to Judas what does doom and destruction mean? Come on Nick you know excatly what destruction means.
To fully destroy to die, perish or to lose (apollumi) Strongs .
What happen to ever human being on this earth. they die. this is what happen to Judas. HE DIED. Now there is a spiritual meaming to this. Jesus new that Judas was already spiritually dead Or was he? Jesus said He chose Judas to be the rat. So was Judas a trator like the christdom doctrine teaches. Or was He a nessery part of prophecies. I say it is the latter. (Pslams) 41:3 ya mine own famillier friend, in when I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heal aginst me.

So Judas
was and is dead in the grave where the rest of mankind who died is. and at the day of the lord (judgment he will rise and be saved just like every single person who ever live on this earth. (EVERBODY)
does this ansewer you question Nick?

The subject of Judas is a topic of its own. I don't know if you want to get into that. But just consider why Jesus didn't say this about the other apostles who would also have a physical death? Jesus didn't say they were doomed to destruction. Judas simply represents a quality of humanity that has no future. Judas was governed by associative linear thought and reacts accordingly but has no inner future. Think what this means in relation to carrying ones cross.

Interesting comment - I was under the impression that "sheol" simply meant the grave, while Gahenna was the big burning rubbish dump outside of Jerusalem in the Valley of Hinnom.

I find it strange you ascribe clearly different spiritual meanings to these when both are usually translated in the KJV at least as "hell", along with the reference to Hades.
yes you are correct, sheol is the common grave of mankind , along with hades , SHEOL (HEBREW) HADES (GREEK) they mean the same thing .

and that is where we all go when we die, and those in Gods memory will be resurrected , for the most part it will be on to the earth at a future time , but for a little flock (144,000) they will be resurrected to be with Jesus in the heavenly kingdom , and most of those ones have already been resurrected by Jesus.
that resurrection started to happen shortly after Jesus recieved kingship ,rulership , and dignity in 1914
DANIEL 7;13-14

But the rest of the dead ones are in mankinds common grave still.

those who are dead but will not get a resurrection are in ghenna , and when Jesus was on earth ,and he mentioned Ghenna , he was not refering to an afterlife of firey torture , but he was using Ghenna as a symbol of total destruction .

The word "Gehenna" comes from the Hebrew words geh hin·nom´, meaning "valley of Hinnom," which lay to the west and south of ancient Jerusalem.

In Jesus’ day, the valley had become a place for burning refuse, including the bodies of vile criminals who were considered undeserving of a decent burial.

So the word "Gehenna" was a fitting symbol of complete destruction.

people were not thrown alive in there they threw the dead ones

and yes , that word hell has been used in the place of Ghenna not good to do that

It is evident that Jesus used Gehenna as representative of utter destruction resulting from adverse judgment by God, hence with no resurrection to life as a soul being possible. (Mt 10:28; Lu 12:4, 5)

The scribes and Pharisees as a wicked class were denounced as ‘subjects for Gehenna.’ (Mt 23:13-15, 33)

The Biblical use of Gehenna as a symbol corresponds to that of "the lake of fire" in the book of Revelation.—Re 20:14, 15;

but it is not a real lake of fire :) but any who go in that symbolic lake will not come out, it will be just as if they were burned to destruction . it is a good sybolisim to use i think .

Hate to say it, Mee, but really, translating parabole as 'illustration' is really, really clunky ... a very poor term to translate a very rich one.

When you consider the meanings of the Hebrew term, masal, which the Greeks translated as parabole, then you'll see that 'illustration' would have a Jew shaking his head at the poverty of the language.

Just one example of where you might claim accuracy with regard to the letter, but you've missed the spirit of the thing altogether.

See my post 54 above.

Thomas

ILLUSTRATIONS​
The Greek expression pa·ra·bo·le´ (literally, a placing beside or together) has a wider latitude of meaning than the English "proverb" or "parable." However, "illustration" covers a wide range that can include "parable" and, in many cases, "proverb." A "proverb" embodies a truth in expressive language, often metaphorically, and a "parable" is a comparison or similitude, a short, usually fictitious, narrative from which a moral or spiritual truth is drawn.

That the Scriptures use the word pa·ra·bo·le´ with a wider meaning than the English "parable" is shown at Matthew 13:34, 35, where Matthew points out that it had been foretold concerning Jesus Christ that he would speak with "illustrations" (NW), "parables" (KJ, RS).

Psalm 78:2, quoted by Matthew in this connection, refers to "a proverbial saying" (Heb., ma·shal´), and for this term the Gospel writer employed the Greek word pa·ra·bo·le´. As the literal meaning of the Greek term implies, the pa·ra·bo·le´ served as a means of teaching or communicating an idea, a method of explaining a thing by ‘placing it beside’ another similar thing. (Compare Mr 4:30.)

Most English translations simply use the anglicized form "parable" to render the Greek term.
However, this translation does not serve to convey the full meaning in every instance.

For example, at Hebrews 9:9 and 11:19 most translations find it necessary to resort to expressions other than "parable." In the first of these texts the tabernacle, or tent, used by Israel in the wilderness, is called by the apostle Paul "an illustration [pa·ra·bo·le´; "figure," KJ; "similitude," Ro; "symbolic," AT, RS] for the appointed time." In the second text Abraham is described by the apostle as having received Isaac back from the dead "in an illustrative way" (NW) (en pa·ra·bo·lei´; "figuratively speaking," JB, RS).

The saying, "Physician, cure yourself," is also termed a pa·ra·bo·le´. (Lu 4:23)
In view of this, a more basic term such as "illustration" (NW) serves for a consistent rendering of pa·ra·bo·le´ in all cases.

Another related term is "allegory" (Gr., al·le·go·ri´a), which is a prolonged metaphor in which a series of actions are symbolic of other actions, while the characters often are types or personifications.

Paul uses the Greek verb al·le·go·re´o (allegorize) at Galatians 4:24, concerning Abraham, Sarah, and Hagar.
It is translated ‘be an allegory’ (KJ), ‘be an allegorical utterance’ (AT), and "stand as a symbolic drama" (NW).
The apostle John also used a distinct term (pa·roi·mi´a) that denotes "comparison" (Joh 10:6; 16:25, 29); it is variously translated "figure," "figurative language," "parable," "proverb," and "comparison" (AT, KJ, NW).
Peter employed the same term with regard to the "proverb" of the dog returning to its vomit and the sow to rolling in the mire.—2Pe 2:22.​

This is a question for all of you more then me. I know what I believe. I do want to know what yall believe

Darren.
Parable capture our attention, and the meaning is instilled in us even if we don't immediately recognize them.

Case in point today would be the rock band called "Kansas". Very popular with the young, yet they did not realize they were listening to lyrics about God, and Judeo/Christian principles. "Dust in the wind", "Point of no return", "Carry on my wayward son"...

All modern day parables (and now I suspect anyone who reads this will next time upon hearing a Kansas song, have an "ah ha" moment). :):D

Back