How connected is Tao with Buddhism and Confucianism?

In human history there are some paths who got mixed with eachother so easily that even followers could not recognise the mixing. Even today there can not draw a line where we can differentiate between them. Taoism and Buddhism got mixed gave birth to a new baby i.e. ZEN, improved version of both.

In human history two religions got mixed without a single drop of blood and it is the biggest achievement of east civilization. This indicates maturity and civilised thought process of the both paths and followers.

This happened with Taois and buddhism but confucianism was a method to run socity, to govern socity. I do not think confucianism around taoism or buddhism.

Confucianism has to deal with external affairs and approach is ethical, view is pilitical and target is good governing of social life.

Taoism and Buddhism has to deal with internal affairs, approach is existential, view is spiritual and target is good beings of indivisual life.

Taoism VS Buddhism: Taoism has more femininty element in its approach. Natural, Existential, Passive and waiting.

Buddhism has more male element in its approach with respect to Taoism but more femininty with compairing to west religions. Hence i call it middle path as for as approach is concern.

East phylosphy is incomplete if any of toaism and buddhism is removed. These two create harmonics in east approach towards existance and truth.

www.royalmonk.in your buddhist tour guide in india

I considered myself a Taoist until I became a Buddhist. I still have great faith in the teachings of Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu, but Buddhism offers more and is more correct in some areas.

The problem with Taoism is that it's too simple. It's too fundamental and the gap between understanding and implementing is never really made. The ancients never actually said how one was to accomplish this change in view of the world. They say that Tai Chi and Qi Gung are the methods of Taoism. I have not yet had the opportunity to visit these. But isn't this the ideal religion. One where practise, culture and way of thinking are all combined into one so much that you would have trouble rooting out what was Taoist and what was Chinese. In my opinion, Taoism is simply Chinese culture and conduct.

So without a large scripture, there is little need for study. The ideal of the Taoist is to be a hermit. Clearly the growth of such a religion, if at all, would be about as slow as waterfalls move backward.
When Confucianism met with Taoism, they both competed for social positions since they had taken on cultural significance. Taoism took on cultural significance, and so lost it's philosophical roots. The point of debate between Taoists and Confucians is mainly around ethics and etiquette.
Confucianism does not share the deep insight into the nature of things as Buddhism or Taoism does (which they incidently agree on). It is very flat. But Buddhism has not only metaphysical insight, but also very particular ethics which are indelibly linked to everything else in the religion. Despite it's flexibility, it clashes with Confucianism.

I am in Taiwan now, and Taoism and Buddhism are both very well represented here. They live side by side. But in the time when Buddhism met Taoism, the result was Chan(Zen) Buddhism. Buddhism, being the bigger of the two and very open to ideas, spread amoungst traditionally Taoist communities. So the people began to practise Buddhist meditation in a Taoist way. Very neat, very ordered, very simple.

In conclusion, I would say that Taoism in it's present form over Taiwan has nothing to do with Lao Tzu or what he said. It's about simple temples and is almost entirely a cultural phenomena rather than a religion. It has had as little effect on Buddhism as Paganism had on Christianity when it came bouncing though all of Europe. There are references to world trees and the Christmas tree has become quite popular, but the influence was mainly cultural.

I think taoism is more straight,very indivisual, simple but mysterious. this is beauty of taoism. Buddha approach is community oriented and social. Even buddha says that this jurney is very indivisual and one has to travel their own jurney alone but finaly has to deal with socity. That is why buddhism become a religion but could not happened with taoism, can never happen with taoism.

SO as for as path is concern both confirm. Taoism is feminin in approach. It waits for the truth to come. Buddhism has male approach and says do this simple method without any purpose. Just do this and suddenly you will feel the truth. So buddhism approach is a bit Male. Because of this difference buddhism become religion but not taoism but in deepdown these is no difference in core.

If you will go deep in buddhism, you will see only taoism in core. If you will explore taoism you will find buddhism around it. Remove taoism buddhism will be uprooted. Remove buddhism, Taoism will have no womb to get birth in socity.

www.royalmonk.in Your buddhist tour guide in india

Yes. That is why the Thirty-third (or Sixth) Patriarch is so very important. Huineng really drove the Taoist root home in the Platform Sutra. By the time he was done, the infusion was complete and the individual (a la Laozi and Chuangzi) could be the center and not the community (a la Theravadas).

In human history two religions got mixed without a single drop of blood and it is the biggest achievement of east civilization.
The way Aryan (Vedic) religion mixed with indigenous hinduism, and later buddhism and jainism mixed with hinduism are other such examples. I think, hinduism was strongly affected by these two off-shoots and that possibly accounts for the small number of jains and buddhists in India today.

The way Aryan (Vedic) religion mixed with indigenous hinduism, and later buddhism and jainism mixed with hinduism are other such examples. I think, hinduism was strongly affected by these two off-shoots and that possibly accounts for the small number of jains and buddhists in India today.

Sorry friends i am going to write some hot words.

Hinduism is Junk House, a collection of all things, recyclable and not recyclables. You can find jevels in this but to do so you need to take milion birth to remove junks.

Brahmans are junk dealers. All Vedas,puranas are created to teach how to make junk of good things and resale again and again. Rama,Krishana,Buddha,Kabira,Meera,Mahavira,all 24 thirthankankaras, All great gurus of shikkhism all belongs to different sect of socity. Brahamanas could not produced even a single enlightened one. these people just do breaking,mixing and reselling....Junk dealers

The main argument is that from Nikayana to Mahayana to Tantric is a process of hindunisation of buddhism.

Yes, a lot of stuff has been added back in since early Buddhism. The Buddha removed Atman and Brahman, and people have been trying to put them back in ever since!

little connection between Confucianism and Buddhism,

Confucianism is more related to Taoism

Back