Ambient music?

iphone app

Sooth the Savage Beast
One of the kids is in the room! You must be careful, lest you spook him…or her? It’s hard to tell. In their new society, the kids have all adopted a strange haircut that obscures their features. The kid is growling. This is getting bad. So you slowly…so slowly…soooo slowly…launch Bloom ($3.99), an innovative music-generation app created by Brian Eno and Peter Chilvers. Tapping the screen gently, you create a musical composition on the fly — without having to know anything about music. Tap high on the screen, you make a high note, tap low, get a bass note. Bloom then uses your taps to create ambient music. You hit the Preferences screen and change the “Mood,” in an attempt to chill out the feral kid who’s looking hungrily at you.
And it works! The kid calms down and loses interest. Responding to gutteral cries from another room, he/she retreats and you’re left in peace. For now. You didn’t even have time to explain to the kid why Brian Eno is awesome. You consider getting out your Remain in Light LP, but it’ll have to wait. You’re tired, and adrenaline has made you weak.

David Byrne and Brian Eno's album is called Everything That Happens Will Happen Today. It's the first thing they've done together in 30 years.

I think this new album is unusual for its clarity and depth of faith. To me it's real optimism grounded in an awareness of tragedy cleverly presented as cheeky pop songs.

Much of what Byrne did in the past (esp with Talking Heads) was probably a parody. But Everything That Happens isn't. He just makes it sound that way with Eno's help.

My favorites:

Planetary Unfolding (Michael Stearns)
Aurasound I and II (William Aura)
Dr Jeffrey Thompson
Dancer's Dream - Dance of Dreams (kind of rare)

Those are some good ones.

I've found what I was searching for... Steve Roach...(thank you joedjr!!!)

especially his long-form pieces....

For ambient music, what came to mind immediately is a CD from Balligomingo called Beneath the Surface.

3 of my favorite songs from the cd are below, but I love the whole thing.

[youtube]15xgafxqg5A[/youtube]

[youtube]o9t3Mx704lY[/youtube]

[youtube]Vb67CYMmr54[/youtube]

However, if I'm throwing a party, I would rather energize the participants. With stuff like this!

[youtube]KNwgJr3fyJM[/youtube]

[youtube]sIBZdszSz4A[/youtube]

[youtube]DwsoS7GJyyU[/youtube]

Back