is conversion appropriate in this age?

No, I don't find it depressing. It is pretty close to my best guess of how it works, actually. I don't think ending up in God is automatic.

I think we start off in God, are always in God... but our recognition of that is the issue. And it's not a uni-directional thing. We can awaken and then fail to cultivate that awakening, and go back to sleeping. I've seen it in my own life- I sometimes become lazy. I just recognize the torture that accompanies the laziness.

I agree in the sense of an evolutionary god like potential but suggest you run for cover. What you've just stated can be very insulting. Christendom believing once saved, always saved, will be annoyed not to mention New Age proponents that claim we are God so just turn off and be god.

I do applaud your bravery though and willingness to stick your neck out.

Hi, Z- I'm answering as me, not as a voice of Christianity. I hope that is what you're looking for. Naturally, I can't answer for the Christian viewpoint- just my own viewpoint.

so what exactly are we supposed to be converting to, one particular brand or all, perhaps as our understandings can only be subjective, one can only truly convert to someone elses singular idea of it.

I think conversion is switching social groups and has little to do with ideas. I find high levels of diversity in belief and action in all religions. I think we mask this by saying it's about ideas, but it does not seem to be under critical observation.

And of course it's all subjective. We're talking about ideas people have about the spirit-world. In fact, I'd go so far as to say all people bounce their ideas about everything, spiritual and not, against Reality... but no one really has a grasp on that Reality. And if they do, they wouldn't be able to express it adequately. As soon as we use words, we're putting things into symbolic forms that are bound to cultural barriers.

you see my point! even defining religion is like defining god ~ not possible.

Oh, we can define religions, but how accurate or useful it is to do so is another question. That is, it is useful to define religion under certain contexts- primarily for discussion. But defining something doesn't make it accurate or mean that it encompasses its totality. Quite the opposite, it delineates a subset of whatever "it" is so as to make verbal communication easier.

morality finds itself. if we follow the way of the ego eventually we learn its faults and hence find the same morals of those who learned them in the first place.

Yes, but in learning faults are we not turning away one thing and toward another? As I said, I think we all enter God eventually... but I think there are shorter paths than others. We can struggle against the current or swim with it. The current is just strong enough that we can't escape it. However, we can be going 30 mph toward its destination or 5 mph toward it.

say some people do arrive in the supposed heaven on earth, where everything magically changes and the universe we thought existed no longer does [somehow?]. i would be interested to hear exactly what that is? we live we die then there is no after life [some christians believe this]? or earth becomes heaven, and we live forever, have ten zillion children [or none], married to the same person ~ forever, never suffering, so never working, living in a true communist world ~ or do we have leaders bossing us around still [a kind of suffering].
sounds to me like an impossible vision! as a scientist i would have thought you would think these things through a bit, or if you have then i await your reply eagerly.

I'm not sure what you mean. I have some ideas, based on my own experience, of what I think could happen after death... but I have no qualms about saying these are just ideas based on a very limited experience. I really have no idea what happens. At best, if my experience is accurate for myself, I know what happened to me in the past and right now. *At best.*

The question of what happens in the after life is, to me, a fascinating mental diversion and nothing more. It has nothing much to do with my spirituality. Stuff that is in the future or in the past is very much unreal. It's all in my mind. Only in the present moment is the chance to create heaven or hell.

I try to be a slave to Love, because that is heaven for me. When I am in God in the moment, I feel profound peace and love. I'm able to share that with others. When I'm not in that space, which happens frequently (because I'm a work in progress), I experience hell. I'm disconnected, I'm depressed, I'm anxious, I'm fearful, I'm angry. Those hellish states come from my lack of willingness to kick "me" to the curb and fill up with the Spirit of God, of Love.

I suppose I see things fairly simply. I can have all the ideas I want, and I do have lots of ideas. But none of them matter. They're just fun things for my mind to think about. It's not the ideas that matter. It's the transformation of the moment that matters. My beliefs in a heaven or an afterlife or whatever are just ideas. In fostering connectedness with God, a being-in-ness with God, is the opportunity to transform every moment.

Beyond the moment, the right now, is just speculation and idea. When I am working with the current, I give myself to God because, every moment, that is what God deserves from me. No less than my self. Given up so that it can be transformed, replaced with the spirit of God. Not out of desire for a reward later. Not out of fear of punishment later. Just because. Because in this moment, it is transformative.

please accept my appologies :eek: for being so direct and abrasive, we have to get to the core of this or be left with nonsense. :)

No problem- I like direct. I struggle with how to put all this in words, but I give it my best shot.

path
I’m answering as me, not as a voice of Christianity. I hope that is what you’re looking for.

absolutely! if only we would all answer as ‘me’. :)

Oh, we can define religions,

not if we cannot define god + purpose + end game. also a definition would be literal, if e.g. the bible was taken literally it would be nonsensical or in cockney slang ‘i wouldn’t adam n eve it’. :p

I think we all enter God eventually

my view of god has no ‘it’, has no masks, is non anthropomorphic, is not a creator, is universal. it isn’t really a god is it? nor is it nirvana btw. if we consider ideas like all-pervading and omnipresent, then you see why i don’t think of it as something we are near or far from. imagine if everyone found this perceived path everyone goes on about, we would all be and act the same, yet were all made as different. may i add another anarchist universal principle i devised; ‘genius is the result of the entire product of man’, crucial to that is difference, and we may replace ‘genius’ with prophet, saint or anything really.

When I’m not in that space, which happens frequently (because I’m a work in progress), I experience hell. I’m disconnected, I’m depressed, I’m anxious, I’m fearful, I’m angry. Those hellish states come from my lack of willingness to kick "me" to the curb and fill up with the Spirit of God, of Love.

sounds like a dualists quagmire, you only have polar opposites, you then diverge all you think is good into magnetic north ~ so to say. are things really so black and white? i feel quite sorry for you, i hope you find balance as this process sounds quite damaging. i mean no insult here and i sincerely hope that if you can see good in bad, and bad in good, [or at least that things are not so distinct] that you will find a more balanced view, one which doesn’t have such a negative psychological outcome. :)
i knew righteousness can itself be divisive but i had never seen it on this level.

being in the now moment i hear a lot, but it doesn’t exist, reality is not fragmented. sure we do only live in a now of sorts but it is a flowing thing, part of the great continuum. if we don’t have an idea of where we are going it is like we are continually going around a roundabout [the magic roundabout as i called it in the op]. our goals may and usually do change but they also define us as a river is defined by its course. :)

not if we cannot define god + purpose + end game. also a definition would be literal, if e.g. the bible was taken literally it would be nonsensical or in cockney slang ‘i wouldn’t adam n eve it’. :p

Why must religion be defined by god, purpose, or end game? I always felt the combination of anthropological and comparative religion definitons of religion worked pretty well.

If you mean defining a religion, well, then you might discuss these other concepts. Or not. Depends. Seems to me you could also define or describe a religion by actions just as well as by beliefs. Just as we describe other human activity.

That is, Christianity can be described by the scope and range that participants do. Both its real and ideal cultures- what people do and what they think they should do. Just like any cultural grouping, membership fuzzes off and the boundaries are unclear. Such is the nature of society.

my view of god has no ‘it’, has no masks, is non anthropomorphic, is not a creator, is universal. it isn’t really a god is it? nor is it nirvana btw.

I can't answer that. If it is god or not. That depends on how you define god. You are clearly juxaposing your idea of god with some other conceptualization of god, what conceptualization I cannot tell. I don't know what you mean by masks, but my experience of what I call God is also non-anthropomorphic and is universal. As for being a creator, I tend to feel God is a creative process. God is creativity. It's not something God does or has, it is part of God. But that's just one more idea I have. My ideas about what God is or isn't don't matter much. It's the connectedness that matters to me, not how people interpret the Divine they are connecting with. That interpretation would vary based on our cultural and linguistic frameworks.

if we consider ideas like all-pervading and omnipresent, then you see why i don’t think of it as something we are near or far from.

I think it's our recognition that differentiates near from far. We're just in God all the time, like fish are in water. But our awareness of it matters a great deal for our perceived experience of each moment, and the aggregate of these experiences manifest in the world.

imagine if everyone found this perceived path everyone goes on about, we would all be and act the same, yet were all made as different.

Why do you assume that? Union is not the same as sameness. Is it not possible to have oneness and diversity simultaneously?

sounds like a dualists quagmire, you only have polar opposites, you then diverge all you think is good into magnetic north ~ so to say. are things really so black and white?

I am actually not a dualist at all. I'm just honest about my own experience. It is not that I don't experience a wide range of emotions, including neutral ones. But rather, I can contrast any moment with the peak experiences and recognize something lacking when it is. I can be happy and depressed at the same time. Happy and angry. Happy and afraid. But... it is a matter of gradation to me. I recognize best and less than. I can only "sort of" love someone, but then- it is not as powerful as completely loving them.

In touching the depths of suffering in myself and others, I forgive myself and others. This is hard to describe. I can love my scars and pain and sins, but I can be honest about them at the same time. I can embrace them as a mother might embrace a naughty child- with love, with compassion- but with honesty and determination to guide this child toward a higher potential.

Much of human capacity is neutral... it is how we use it. Love is not an emotion. It is a purpose. A state of being. A choice. It is action. Love transforms these capacities to allow humans to reach a higher potential. I don't see this as dualistic, but rather growth. At a certain point, I could honestly recognize moments less than peak moments for what they are, and yet simultaneously forgive myself for every moment that I do not choose my highest calling- to love without measure. In forgiving myself for this, I can forgive others for this. I see myself in them, and they in me- the potential and the pain, the love and the suffering.

In so doing, I can find beauty and peace everywhere.

When I do not do this, that is when I see a dualistic world.

i feel quite sorry for you, i hope you find balance as this process sounds quite damaging. i mean no insult here and i sincerely hope that if you can see good in bad, and bad in good, [or at least that things are not so distinct] that you will find a more balanced view, one which doesn’t have such a negative psychological outcome. :)

I find no insult. All people are free to see things as they see them, and respond as they see fit. Balance is in the eye of the beholder, I would say. What is balance to one is complacency in another. What is balance to one is extremism to another. I find balance individually to be overrated. Much of the worlds' best that came out of humanity- in art, in science, in religion, in spirituality, in altruism- came out of profound imbalance. Now, functionality I can agree with. But balance seems to be more a function of the universe as a whole.

As for good and bad- I don't think in terms of good or bad. Hell is not bad. It is just a state of being I wish to avoid. People sleeping are not bad, but they have more potential for ending suffering if they are awake. Things just are what they are. I can be honest about what I wish to avoid, what I perceive as negative to my highest potential, without seeing myself or others as bad. I can embrace all with love without thinking everything is equally the best action or belief. I can reach out in understanding without giving up ethics. I practice analytical relativism, but not moral relativism- both with myself and with others. It is what I feel from God- an understanding and yet a challenge- I can do better. No carrot or stick... just a challenge and a support.

i knew righteousness can itself be divisive but i had never seen it on this level.

Do you feel I am righteous? I don't. Righteousness is not something I think much about, to be honest.

being in the now moment i hear a lot, but it doesn’t exist, reality is not fragmented. sure we do only live in a now of sorts but it is a flowing thing, part of the great continuum.

What is a continuum in terms of time? I don't see time as linear, so that might be a barrier.

if we don’t have an idea of where we are going it is like we are continually going around a roundabout [the magic roundabout as i called it in the op]. our goals may and usually do change but they also define us as a river is defined by its course. :)

Hmm... I've found my challenge to be less goal-oriented. If our goals change, then what's the point? I'm more joyful and peaceful when I focus on what I'm doing at the moment and take opportunities as they come. I'm enjoying the scenery. I don't have to be headed somewhere for my life to change or for me to grow. I can walk by the same tree every day and experience it differently every day. Even my own body is a totally different one than it was years ago... cells replaced...

I don't seek to define things... me, my life, my God, my path. I've found, more and more, it's a bit useless unless for the sake of conversation and mental entertainment. In terms of any real growth, it is just clumsy. I never had it in my goals to experience half the peak experiences I've had, yet they've been the most transformative. I never had it in my goals to have deep conversation with a homeless guy or a Somalian refugee, but they both taught me a lot. Doesn't take much planning to see beauty every day, but it matters a great deal for my state of being.

There's a koan in Buddhism... you sit in front of the river until you see it change its course. It's all a matter of one's focus.

Path

I try to be a slave to Love, because that is heaven for me. When I am in God in the moment, I feel profound peace and love. I'm able to share that with others. When I'm not in that space, which happens frequently (because I'm a work in progress), I experience hell. I'm disconnected, I'm depressed, I'm anxious, I'm fearful, I'm angry. Those hellish states come from my lack of willingness to kick "me" to the curb and fill up with the Spirit of God, of Love.

Have you ever experienced both states simultaneously rather than either one or the other? Simone describes what I am asking in her usual laconic fashion:

"Purity is the power to contemplate defilement." Simone Weil

Hell can be consciously experienced from a higher level of purity wiithin our collective being. It is part of acquiring the ability to "know thyself." Have you ever experienced it.

I'm not sure if I experience what you're talking about or not, but I feel very clearly that I am not adequately explaining how I experience these states. I'll give it a go. There's only so much language can do, you know?

My heaven is not ignoring suffering- by choice or by default. When I pass a homeless person sleeping in the cold as I walk to the bus, and I am connected in God, I see me in the homeless person and he in me. I touch Christ in the homeless person and Christ in me. I feel his suffering as my own, and in so doing, I am able to transform the energy of that suffering through loving him, loving myself, loving Christ. If there is something I can do, I become aware of this action and do it. If there is nothing physical I can do, the energy is still transformed. The attention I am paying to each moment, the opportunity to recognize suffering as it is found, to recognize each person as part of God, to give equal attention to every being- I believe this matters in the spirit and works toward transforming the manifest world. When I am in that space, I am not in heaven because there is no suffering and all is roses. I am in heaven because I am able to withstand any quantity of suffering and hold it as I would hold a fussing baby... with compassion. I find a strength and comfort so deep that it transforms the suffering into a profound bliss, a beautiful thing. In that moment, I can see the potential in all the worst of humanity... and it is the potential for all the best of humanity. I can see the worst in myself, and find it is the capacity for the best in myself. The rest fades away... there is only God. This singularity at its most extreme forms a peak experience and is truly heaven on earth. There is no me, and no other. There is nothing but God and even my self fades away. It is an annihilation of everything that I think of as me. And it is profoundly blissful. I cannot imagine anything more heavenly.

Hell is other moments- all the moments in which I do not keen my attention to connecting with God and so experience suffering as mere suffering. Without tapping into the strength and comfort of God, I buckle under the weight of the suffering of myself and others. Even the greatest joys, the most beautiful things, are fleeting and imperfect without being connected to God. And in this, is suffering. I can be in love and feel wonderful, but one day I will lose him. I can admire a beautiful tree, but one day it will die. I can enjoy my body being young and fit, but one day it will fail me. I can feel righteous, and later feel myself falter. Without connectedness with God and with all beings, the fleeting quality of even the best of life is suffering. In the happiest of moments is the anxiety that it will not continue. In the most beautiful things is the unconscious fear that it will one day be ugly. And so even the most wonderful things of life are empty and bleak... this is depression. Even the most joyful are stressful... this is anxiety. Even the greatness of unexpected opportunity for growth are painful... this is anger. And if this is true of the most lovely things, then what of that homeless man on the street? What of the guy who flips me off as he cuts me off on the highway? What of the genocide, slavery, oppression all over the world? What of all the worst in myself- my lust and greed and pettiness? What hope have I to forgive myself and others? What hope have I for lasting peace? Without connection to God, I wallow in darkness.

And sometimes I do wallow. But fortunately, I reached some sort of plateau a while back that allows me to be honest with myself when I wallow. I observe my own wallowing, my own darkness. I don't lie to myself and tell myself that it's OK. I am strong enough to withstand my own critical gaze... criticism can be a very loving act toward oneself if it is accompanied by compassion and forgiveness.

It is unnecessary for me to fight the darkness. It is only necessary that I am honest about it. Therein lies the capacity to turn toward the light.

I'm not sure if I experience what you're talking about or not, but I feel very clearly that I am not adequately explaining how I experience these states. I'll give it a go. There's only so much language can do, you know?

My heaven is not ignoring suffering- by choice or by default. When I pass a homeless person sleeping in the cold as I walk to the bus, and I am connected in God, I see me in the homeless person and he in me. I touch Christ in the homeless person and Christ in me. I feel his suffering as my own, and in so doing, I am able to transform the energy of that suffering through loving him, loving myself, loving Christ. If there is something I can do, I become aware of this action and do it. If there is nothing physical I can do, the energy is still transformed. The attention I am paying to each moment, the opportunity to recognize suffering as it is found, to recognize each person as part of God, to give equal attention to every being- I believe this matters in the spirit and works toward transforming the manifest world. When I am in that space, I am not in heaven because there is no suffering and all is roses. I am in heaven because I am able to withstand any quantity of suffering and hold it as I would hold a fussing baby... with compassion. I find a strength and comfort so deep that it transforms the suffering into a profound bliss, a beautiful thing. In that moment, I can see the potential in all the worst of humanity... and it is the potential for all the best of humanity. I can see the worst in myself, and find it is the capacity for the best in myself. The rest fades away... there is only God. This singularity at its most extreme forms a peak experience and is truly heaven on earth. There is no me, and no other. There is nothing but God and even my self fades away. It is an annihilation of everything that I think of as me. And it is profoundly blissful. I cannot imagine anything more heavenly.

Hell is other moments- all the moments in which I do not keen my attention to connecting with God and so experience suffering as mere suffering. Without tapping into the strength and comfort of God, I buckle under the weight of the suffering of myself and others. Even the greatest joys, the most beautiful things, are fleeting and imperfect without being connected to God. And in this, is suffering. I can be in love and feel wonderful, but one day I will lose him. I can admire a beautiful tree, but one day it will die. I can enjoy my body being young and fit, but one day it will fail me. I can feel righteous, and later feel myself falter. Without connectedness with God and with all beings, the fleeting quality of even the best of life is suffering. In the happiest of moments is the anxiety that it will not continue. In the most beautiful things is the unconscious fear that it will one day be ugly. And so even the most wonderful things of life are empty and bleak... this is depression. Even the most joyful are stressful... this is anxiety. Even the greatness of unexpected opportunity for growth are painful... this is anger. And if this is true of the most lovely things, then what of that homeless man on the street? What of the guy who flips me off as he cuts me off on the highway? What of the genocide, slavery, oppression all over the world? What of all the worst in myself- my lust and greed and pettiness? What hope have I to forgive myself and others? What hope have I for lasting peace? Without connection to God, I wallow in darkness.

And sometimes I do wallow. But fortunately, I reached some sort of plateau a while back that allows me to be honest with myself when I wallow. I observe my own wallowing, my own darkness. I don't lie to myself and tell myself that it's OK. I am strong enough to withstand my own critical gaze... criticism can be a very loving act toward oneself if it is accompanied by compassion and forgiveness.

It is unnecessary for me to fight the darkness. It is only necessary that I am honest about it. Therein lies the capacity to turn toward the light.

I don't know if you mean what is being described in the trailor to a soon to be released documentary. I sense something of great value in this power of attention which isn't an emotional escapism but rather just the giving of oneself and becoming open to the suffering of another. It seems necessary if we are ever able to live a daily life without a dependence on imagination and inwardly grow through this intentional experience of reality regardles of how unpleasant.

It is a difficult topic and without experience is hard to get the sense of. Watch this short trailor and tell me if if is connected with the way you've described giving your attention to another. If it is, I'd like to share on this. Since our culture flourishes from avoiding this quality of attention, of giving from being so open, it is not surprising that so few have ever considered such things.

YouTube - An Interview with Simone Weil: trailer

thanks for sharing such an honest post, there will always be shadows where there is light but facing the light leaves the darkness behind you yet when in the darkness in those moments honesty is the best policy for 'over coming' it to the light again, just as day follows night.

path
Why must religion be defined by god, purpose, or end game? I always felt the combination of anthropological and comparative religion definitons of religion worked pretty well.

only if you say religion can be ‘defined’, otherwise i agree.

Seems to me you could also define or describe a religion by actions just as well as by beliefs. Just as we describe other human activity.

such definitions [by actions, behaviorisms etc] are human not religious, that is to say, they can be defined by non religious means, such as e.g. societal conditioning.

God is creativity. It’s not something God does or has, it is part of God. But that’s just one more idea I have.

me too, in a continuum we don’t have a creation moment as such, but we do have continual creation ~ in a manner. the other idea of god i have is based on the awen and the circles of abred caugant etc.

But our awareness of it matters a great deal for our perceived experience of each moment, and the aggregate of these experiences manifest in the world.

i see, yes. my view is that we are mainly concerned with earthly matters which is completely normal. there are many reasons for this, none of which are turning away from god, as god has made the manifest world to which we turn our gaze. equally we are descended from apes so our genetic history tells us to be aware of the now in real terms ~ survival terms.

Why do you assume that? Union is not the same as sameness. Is it not possible to have oneness and diversity simultaneously?

union is ‘one’ness. if we are told to act like this and like that, then we are all acting like so. there may be some difference but it is greatly diminished by having standard ways of being. can we have a single rule for all things specific? only if that rule is universal yes.

I can be happy and depressed at the same time. Happy and angry. Happy and afraid.

oh i see i got you wrong then. hmm well, what i was mainly referring too was the polarising effect of being with or not with god. interesting neural networks you must have. mine must be boring as happines is just that for me etc etc

I can only "sort of" love someone, but then- it is not as powerful as completely loving them.

same here, but that’s because i am damaged emotionally, past experiences make me bottle things up. usually the lack of the ability to give ones self fully is due to having done that and been hurt. i don’t know many/any people to whom love has not had this effect.

I can embrace them as a mother might embrace a naughty child- with love, with compassion- but with honesty and determination to guide this child toward a higher potential.

good for you, the mother aspect is a beneficial thing.

Love is not an emotion. It is a purpose. A state of being.

r u sure? :) i would say it is an emotion when expressed and otherwise a vessel shared [an emotion field], like we are spirits in a vessel or soul body, then when two people fall in love there exists a vessel between them. hmm maybe one can have a vessel with everything or be in such a vessel if such a thing is already there, i don’t know as i have not experienced this.
are we supposed to love all the time? i think we have a multitude of natures and all must have their say.

Much of the worlds’ best that came out of humanity- in art, in science, in religion, in spirituality, in altruism- came out of profound imbalance.

very good point, buit life is a journey. an infantile balance can be found easily but is not adept at coping with or working with the worlds complexities, so imbalance is a way to redraw the balance in an ever increasing way until ma’at is found. we find balance then it is thrown apart in cycles, creating diversity within us and the world, a profound imbalance ultimately augers a profound balance.
...for some not reached in this world.

Do you feel I am righteous? I don’t. Righteousness is not something I think much about, to be honest.

no i don’t, but christianity is, just as most if not all religions are. i see it in your thinking but i don’t think you are that kind of person -if i may.

What is a continuum in terms of time? I don’t see time as linear, so that might be a barrier.

all-time perhaps? i think time is linear, from the big bang one thing follows another - loosely speaking..., nothing goes backwards or into a different time, ...of that which does, it would not exist in this world [at least not in an overtly affectual manner]. i have problems with all-time, its a bit of a bubble ~ if you see what i mean. i look at the sun and all-time means there are billions all in their own frozen moments going back to its birth and forwards to its death, yet they dont interact with each other!

Hmm... I’ve found my challenge to be less goal-oriented. If our goals change, then what’s the point?

tangents and general themes. you give your children goals yes, equally you have goals of having a family and 3 or whatever children, some goals are easily reached. then you would want things for your children but would have to recognise that they may not fit the image of what you wanted them to be. so the goals may or may not change, nevertheless they are there and are very relevant.

i am glad you find beauty, if you truly believe your way is not hampered by duality, then good for you ~ but it jumped out at me ‘tis all, so i said it. :)

such definitions [by actions, behaviorisms etc] are human not religious, that is to say, they can be defined by non religious means, such as e.g. societal conditioning.

Ah, therein lies part of our difference. I see religion as a social thing- an aspect of society and culture. So to me it makes sense that defining a religion is just the same as defining any other social group- by norms, standards, customs, cultural models, and so forth. I think religion is only tangentially related to the spirit. That is, it is only related in so much as the individual makes it so.

me too, in a continuum we don’t have a creation moment as such, but we do have continual creation ~ in a manner. the other idea of god i have is based on the awen and the circles of abred caugant etc.

I believe every moment is a moment of creation.

i see, yes. my view is that we are mainly concerned with earthly matters which is completely normal. there are many reasons for this, none of which are turning away from god, as god has made the manifest world to which we turn our gaze. equally we are descended from apes so our genetic history tells us to be aware of the now in real terms ~ survival terms.

I see no difference in being concerned with the earth and being concerned with God. God is in and through and beside us. I don't see the earth as being separate from God at all, so why would being concerned with earthly matters be irreligious or unspiritual? It is how we are concerned that makes the difference.

union is ‘one’ness. if we are told to act like this and like that, then we are all acting like so. there may be some difference but it is greatly diminished by having standard ways of being. can we have a single rule for all things specific? only if that rule is universal yes.

Not sure I completely understand you. What is a standard way of being? I found that in my most definitive peak experience, "I" was annihilated, yet, found an endless variety of diversity in that unity with all. Very much like everything was part of one piece of music, but had its own vibrations, its own sound, its own unique creative energy. I found that to be much more diverse and yet much more unified than our usual ways of being- with all our trappings of exclusivity and categories and ideas about ourselves.

oh i see i got you wrong then. hmm well, what i was mainly referring too was the polarising effect of being with or not with god. interesting neural networks you must have. mine must be boring as happines is just that for me etc etc

I don't think my choice to turn toward or away from God is black/white. Of course I can kind of glance at the light over my shoulder as I continue to choose to wallow in darkness.

What can I say? I'm a girl. I have a capacity for a huge range of emotions all at once. ;)

same here, but that’s because i am damaged emotionally, past experiences make me bottle things up. usually the lack of the ability to give ones self fully is due to having done that and been hurt. i don’t know many/any people to whom love has not had this effect.

Loving others has hurt me profoundly at times. But the pain and suffering is an opportunity to transform. I hurt because of my desire and expectation for a particular outcome or because I think more highly of myself and my capacity to give than is honest. Those expectations are not actually very loving at all, and neither is my dishonesty with myself. When I really am loving, I am free from expectation- I offer myself, the other, everything up to God. When I am in an awareness of God's presence, I find I am not hurt. I am able to stop desiring a particular outcome and find joy in my own love toward others, no matter what comes back to me. This doesn't mean I'm a doormat, but it means I care for my own psychological, physical, and other needs as I would for another person... I see us as equals. I neither see myself as more than I am (and therefore harm myself), nor do I see you as something that exists for my benefit (and therefore expect something from you). I just observe and embrace what is with compassion.

r u sure? :) i would say it is an emotion when expressed and otherwise a vessel shared [an emotion field], like we are spirits in a vessel or soul body, then when two people fall in love there exists a vessel between them. hmm maybe one can have a vessel with everything or be in such a vessel if such a thing is already there, i don’t know as i have not experienced this.

To me, love is not an emotion, no. The things we say we "love" in English defy any type of common categorization of what the word means. I love my dogs, my husband, God, Gaia, trees, painting, broccoli, and Discovery Channel. LOL I'm pretty sure sometimes I'm saying I have an emotion, and others I'm stating my preferences or tastes, and others, I'm saying an action.

As for falling in love- LOL- well, people have very different ideas about what THAT is. My observation is that one thing that makes divorce easy is to fall "out of love" which ignores that love is work- an action, a choice. Most studies show that people fall and stay in love about as long as it takes human beings to hook up, procreate, and get the kid to a year or two old without birth control... notice how this is how long we need to jointly raise a very dependent being. Hence, the seven-year itch... but if we stick it out, so long as we've been respectful and *acted* loving- choosing to love the other- we fall in love all over again. And we also know from psychological studies that we can choose our emotions. If we act happy, we *feel* happier. If we act loving, we *feel* more loving. We can train our emotions... they do not just happen to us.

are we supposed to love all the time? i think we have a multitude of natures and all must have their say.

I believe we are supposed to be loving all the time. What that looks like depends on the context. My own experience is that the more I choose to love, the easier it becomes and the more my other natures are transformed in a positive way. If others find anger, fear, or other such natures useful or beneficial, I can't speak to that. I've not found them to be of much use. I can love and still have a very good awareness of injustice, danger, and so forth. But my approach to them is very different.

very good point, buit life is a journey. an infantile balance can be found easily but is not adept at coping with or working with the worlds complexities, so imbalance is a way to redraw the balance in an ever increasing way until ma’at is found. we find balance then it is thrown apart in cycles, creating diversity within us and the world, a profound imbalance ultimately augers a profound balance.
...for some not reached in this world.

Not entirely sure what you mean. I still am trying to understand what you mean by a balance. Balance between what and what? To have balance, it seems we need categories of what to balance, things that are oppositional to one another. I think I've been trying to get beyond this for a while. It's natural for people to see categorical opposites, but I'm not sure it's the most effective way to see things.

no i don’t, but christianity is, just as most if not all religions are. i see it in your thinking but i don’t think you are that kind of person -if i may.

Okey-dokey. :) I'm not sure what righteousness means. It seems to mean different things to different people.

all-time perhaps? i think time is linear, from the big bang one thing follows another - loosely speaking..., nothing goes backwards or into a different time, ...of that which does, it would not exist in this world [at least not in an overtly affectual manner]. i have problems with all-time, its a bit of a bubble ~ if you see what i mean. i look at the sun and all-time means there are billions all in their own frozen moments going back to its birth and forwards to its death, yet they dont interact with each other!

I think everything just exists at the same time. But we perceive it as linear. When I look at a star, I am seeing the past. But I'm seeing it in this moment. Sometimes I dream of something that happens later, or I experience deja vu. I am experiencing that moment as the past, but it was at one point the future... and I'm experiencing both of them in the present moment. My memories are the past, but they only exist right now in this moment when I think of them. My goals are the future, but they only exist right now in this moment when I think of them. Nothing really exists outside of each moment. It's all in our heads, and our heads are right now. What about literature, you say? You're reading the Bible- that's from the past! Not really. It only exists because I'm here reading it. It is my observation that makes the moment real. Other things might be real, but we can't really know, can we?

tangents and general themes. you give your children goals yes, equally you have goals of having a family and 3 or whatever children, some goals are easily reached. then you would want things for your children but would have to recognise that they may not fit the image of what you wanted them to be. so the goals may or may not change, nevertheless they are there and are very relevant.

I would say these are actually desires. I desire children and for them to do this or that. A goal is just a desire that we've put a lot of expectation and attachment toward. Which, in my opinion, is a short journey to suffering unnecessarily. By attaching ourselves to desires, we stop appreciating what we have in the moment and we create unnecessary suffering for ourselves. I make lots of goals, and see them lead to suffering all the time. I still do it, but I recognize its futility and pointlessness.

That old saying... I stared so long at the closed door that I didn't notice the open window.

i am glad you find beauty, if you truly believe your way is not hampered by duality, then good for you ~ but it jumped out at me ‘tis all, so i said it. :)

That's OK- I welcome your thoughts. :)

Join them.
And that GREAT CROWD gets bigger everyday REVELATION 7;9-10 and that heralding gets louder and louder in more ways than one . and those symbolic palm branches are being carried with joy:)

Join them.
Same goes for all the rest. It seems that the one thing they are not prepared for is success. Think of Ponzi schemes, and the similarities abound. Look at anything with a strong tendency towards conversion and scrutinize it for efficiency. How are goods distributed? Do people fall through the cracks? What about orphans, widows and the aged? What is all the money used for? etc.

Crazy Circles!

Join them LOL, I suppose I could but I prefer wacky charismatic type meetings and I enjoy the freedom to understand the bible without being spoon fed theology.

but I have considered collecting religions ! so far I been

Atheist
Agnostic
muslim
Christian

so whats next the LDS must be worth a look.

Colossians 2:8 (New International Version)

See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.

And that GREAT CROWD gets bigger everyday REVELATION 7;9-10 and that heralding gets louder and louder in more ways than one . and those symbolic palm branches are being carried with joy:)

The Great Beast is strutting his stuff.

path of one said:
Yes, we are to be quiet. I think. I don't think they have to guess. I think it's in every human being to recognize the peace and love of God when they see it. If they are ready to be consciously aware of it, they will become curious.

That's the thing, though. I don't think a grand majority of people are consciously aware of the peace and love God offers. We've become so secularized that the spiritual side of many people are suppressed. We look for secular answers for everything. But that's taking the wrong medicine.

My interest is in being a witness to others, particularly those who aren't of a spiritual mind, is to present an alternative. One which they may not be aware of or really considered seriously. I want to be a catalyst in showing the love of God to others. Not in some forceful push it down their throat manner, but in gentileness and respect.

path said:
This occurs, I think, because my testimony is first to listen. Silence and listening first. People, in general and especially hurting people, need attentive listening first. They need to feel loved, and we feel loved when others care about our story, our hurts, our struggles. People then feel understood, they feel they have an ally, a friend. I know that for me, God patiently listens to all my cries to Him- my pains and my joys, my gratitude and my confusion. That God listens to me... I cannot express how much love I feel in that. Likewise, when my husband or sister or friend listens to me, attentively and without judgement, I feel very loved. I feel that they truly care about me.

Great, yes we need to listen. We need to emphasize with others. We also need to be skilled in our response to them. You know that God listens to you, you know that He is patient, you know that God loves you. But do they know? Have they been told? Do they know how to tap into a relationship with God that will allow them to experience that love?

path said:
Perhaps it's just a difference in calling; I do not know. I feel very strongly that in my case, I am called first to be still and listen. When I am very still in my spirit, paying calm attention to another and seeing, with all my heart, the face of humanity and of Christ looking back at me... there is an energy that is unmistakeable that seems to work in other people. And, conversely, when this is given to me by another person- I feel that same energy. The love of God, the peace of God, manifest in us. The Kingdom of God among us.

I have never found a better way to usher in this awakening to God than this. It is beyond expression. And perhaps that is why it works to me- God is also beyond expression. I cannot say anything or give any Bible quote or point to any church that has the same capacity for awakening as a determined effort to emanate love.

God has given you a gift. You have the sesitivity to emphasize with others on a spiritual level. And I believe that is produced in you due to your relationship, your connectiveness with God. You are able to love others with the love God has given you. But your love can only carry people so far. They must experience God's love for themselves. What they see in you is only a taste of what they can have for themselves. In this manner, you are Christ to them. But in order for them to be free, they must be Christ for themselves.

Biblical doctrine and the church as a social structure can only provide a rib cage to support and protect the heart. The Bible cannot save anyone. It can only point the way. The church cannot save anyone. It can only provide support. What is important is what's happening inside of a person. God has to work within that person.

God has given us the gift of a free will. He has also given us a conscience. That conscience is given to check the free will. The conscience and the free will are at they are at odds with one another. They struggle against each other at time. One will win out over the other.

The problem is that the conscience of many are weak. Some have let their conscience to get so seared with a hot iron that they no longer listen to it. Unless there is something to strenghten the conscience (which is virtually impossible by themselves), they will sink lower and lower in that abyss.

Without the knowledge of God and the Holy Spirit enacting upon their lives, they will not experience the transformation need to grow, for it is His sustaining power that will enact it. As the passage in Isaiah 52:7goes:

"How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!"

Dondi wrote:

I want to be a catalyst in showing the love of God to others. Not in some forceful push it down their throat manner, but in gentileness and respect.

My comment:

I think that's admirable Dondi but I would wonder how many are "forceful" and rather abrasive.. You see, when you've decided to promote a style of evangelism or lets say going door to door you have to consider that being "gentile" isn't in some people's repertoire..

What you then have is a negative reaction from most people for the most part and sad to say people who are primarily out there for the form who lack the substance if you know what I mean..

For every person who is say sensitive and say insightful in promoting their religion there are many more I would suspect who are lacking and this creates the impression most have of proselytizing and that may be why some countries have laws against it..

I think also though once you have legislation you can easily exceed the intention and go too far.. affecting civil liberties say but it's very easy for a few rotten apples to spoil the barrel.

- Art

True, Art, very true. I've seen more and more "No Soliciting" signs on porches nowadays. As a church, we try to respect that and bypass those houses. Even though we aren't trying to sell anything (the gospel is free), we understand the intent that these folks generally don't wish to be bothered.

Join them LOL, I suppose I could but I prefer wacky charismatic type meetings and I enjoy the freedom to understand the bible without being spoon fed theology.

but I have considered collecting religions ! so far I been

Atheist
Agnostic
muslim
Christian

so whats next the LDS must be worth a look.

john 17;3 taking in knowledge about the true God, and his son Jesus Christ leads to everlasting life and its all in the bible :)

and the true God is JEHOVAH as the bible gives us knowledge about.

1: Answer the door stark naked.
2: Get your partner to answer the door with you (ditto).
3: Same-gender partner is even better.
4: Record a fight off a TV homicide show. Switch recording on as the come up the garden path.
5: Open the door holding some kind of weapon.
6: Laugh hysterically at everything they say.
7: When they're talking, hold you hand up to interrupt them, cock your head to one side, and pay particular attention to the voices in your head.
8: Argue with yourself while they're talking, a la Gollum.
9: Squirt lighter fuel or other flammable material on the floor at their feet whilst they're talking. Make sure they know you have a zippo handy.
10: Open the door awkwardly, a tie round your bicep, one end in your mouth, a syringe in the other hand, and motion at one of them to hold the other end of the tie and pull it for you...
11: Shout over your shoulder, "Unlock the cellar, ma!"
Just a few ... I've forgotten the others ...

... no-one comes to see me anymore ...

Thomas

1. Turn around, pull your pants down, show your backside. Fart and then start charging backwards!!!
2. Bring a box of stools you collected from the toilet and throw it at them.
3. Pull down the front of your pants, pull out your urinal vessel, turn on the tap and saturate them with yellow fluid. Let them walk away smelling like a toilet.
4. If it is a member of the opposite sex, take off your clothes and start raping them!!!
5. Bring out your water gun, say, "Say cheese!" and then proceed to squirt them with gasoline. Light a match and up they go in flames!
6. Start asking about their private lives. Ask questions like, "When did you last have a girlfriend/boyfriend? How was the break-up scene? Was it bitter? Did you enjoy having sex with him/her or was the sex horrible? Did your boyfriend have erection problems? Was your girlfriend too fat? Were her breasts not big enough? Got erection problems? How about some Viagra?"
7. Open the door brandishing an axe, yell, "timber!" and proceed to chop down the human plants.
8. Answer them back with, "Hallowed are the Ori," (courtesy of the Stargate television series) "those who reject the path of Origin dig their own grave."

Hallowed are the Ori! Hallowed are the Ori! Hallowed are the Ori! Hallowed are the Ori!

9. Charge out the front door with a lawn mower and run them over! Sell the remains at the local meat market.
10. The door is electrified, charged to 10,000 volts, you claim that you did it in self-defence and are not a vigilante.
11. You lunge out the door at them and pull their pants down
12. Call the police, go to the court, accuse them of sexual harassment and seek to have a restraining order placed on them. They are not to come within 10,000 km of your home . . . or else.
13. Drag them into your home, pull them onto your bed and start copulating. The next day, the newspapers are filled with articles and pictures of an affair. Someone's wife or husband is going to be angry. There is going to be a big fight and possibly a divorce.
14. Sue them for violating intellectual property laws. They stole ideas you had for a new religion you started preaching two days ago. You want a piece of the action and a share of the cash. You just called your lawyers two hours ago. Court proceedings will begin next week. You want them fined for illegal preaching of someone else's religion.
15. You push a button somewhere and a trapdoor opens and down they go. A bunch of Oompa-Loompas gather around the trapdoor and start singing a song that admonishes the ones who have just gone down the trapdoor:

Oompa loompa doompety doo
I've got a perfect puzzle for you
Oompa loompa doompety dee
If you are wise you'll listen to me

blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah

16. You wave your hand in front of your mouth as if to disperse some dangerous fumes. "Phewy!" you say. "Someone just farted. Was it you?"
17. Flatten your left hand. Make your right hand into a fist. Put the fist on the flattened hand. Say, "Smell the cheese." When they move forward to have a sniff, you punch them in the nose and say, "Haha! Gotcha!"
18. Greet them saying, "Hello bas-tards. The s-hit's on the table and Mum's upstairs getting fu-cked!" (if you know the joke)
19. Present one of them with a mobile phone, saying, "Your ex-wife just called me."
20. Ask them if they are constipated.
21. Respond with, "Sorry! I norrrr speak English!"
22. Reach into their pockets, take out their wallets and make them chase you halfway around the city. Even better, make off with their clothes!

That's the thing, though. I don't think a grand majority of people are consciously aware of the peace and love God offers. We've become so secularized that the spiritual side of many people are suppressed. We look for secular answers for everything. But that's taking the wrong medicine.

I completely agree. I just think it is possible to assist in people becoming aware of God's peace and love without words. I recognize that for others, they may feel words are best. What I have seen in my own life is that words only work when they are wanted, and they are generally wanted after someone has their other needs met, including their need to be cared for socially and psychologically. Hence, the listening first. Deeply listening to someone also reveals to me their background, their troubles, and so forth- I understand more of them, and have the opportunity to know how to show them peace and love and how to talk with them about God, if they so desire it. I can't do a one-size-fits-all testimonial. It just doesn't work for me- it's not who I am.

Great, yes we need to listen. We need to emphasize with others. We also need to be skilled in our response to them. You know that God listens to you, you know that He is patient, you know that God loves you. But do they know? Have they been told? Do they know how to tap into a relationship with God that will allow them to experience that love?

I didn't say that I stopped at listening. Rather, I was saying that I believe that part of the testimony- a very large part- is the listening. The attention we give to another person. This is demonstrating our love, not just for humanity in general, but for that individual person. Our undivided attention extends to them what God gives to us. And, as I said, for me, this also is part of how I understand how to respond. Response must be based on the person- their questions, their fears, their desires, their personality. I could talk endlessly about God, but any of that talk may inspire or revolt, depending on the individual with whom I am talking. Not all people are able to hear me in the same ways. Deep listening not only shares love, but allows me the stillness to receive some wisdom in how to respond. I can't say if that would work as a method for others. We're all so different.

God has given you a gift. You have the sesitivity to emphasize with others on a spiritual level. And I believe that is produced in you due to your relationship, your connectiveness with God. You are able to love others with the love God has given you. But your love can only carry people so far. They must experience God's love for themselves. What they see in you is only a taste of what they can have for themselves. In this manner, you are Christ to them. But in order for them to be free, they must be Christ for themselves.

I should hope so. I don't feel that I am very much able to be Christ. I'm very, very imperfect. But what I find is that nearly every one I have approached in this way becomes more open to God. People do need to experience God directly, for themselves. However, they also often need a shove in that direction before they are able to be vulnerable enough to experience Him.

I'll give an example that is slightly off-topic to explain. Depressed people need to learn how to not be depressed- how to care for their psyche and body in a way that boosts their serotonin levels and so forth. But some depressed people get in a rut where their brain just won't remember how to be joyful and at peace. They are stuck. A good therapist and sometimes medication can jump-start their brain into remembering how to be joyful and peaceful, and then they have a chance to do this for themselves.

Many people have sleep-walked in life for so long, they have forgotten how to be vulnerable, open. They have forgotten how to seek the Divine, or why they would do so. They become cynical and jaded, or fearful, or angry with God for myriad reasons. When another human being truly loves them and shows this with non-judgmental and total attention, it is like putting balm on an angry wound. While the wound is festering, it is so painful that it drives the person mad. But when it is soothed, tended, nursed- the person has a chance at clarity and to come back to themselves, to their deepest potential. By continually awakening Christ within me through compassion in this way, I am awakening it in others, too.

I trust that if people have just a little time where they feel truly, truly loved and they remember what peace and openness feels like, God can do the rest and reveal Himself to them. Sometimes this happens through a question directed to me, and sometimes it does not. But I do believe that people must be open to God, willing to be vulnerable, and this can be helped along if they feel compassion from others.

The Bible cannot save anyone. It can only point the way. The church cannot save anyone. It can only provide support. What is important is what's happening inside of a person. God has to work within that person.

I entirely agree.

God has given us the gift of a free will. He has also given us a conscience. That conscience is given to check the free will. The conscience and the free will are at they are at odds with one another. They struggle against each other at time. One will win out over the other.

I don't see the two as oppositional. If one is really attentive to the Divine, the two work perfectly in unison. Our free will gives us the creativity to respond with compassion, and the conscience tells us where and when our compassion must be directed. Rather than being about avoiding wrong-doing, when we are most attentive to God's will, the two work together to provide us the best path in every situation-- there is a big difference, at times, between what is wrong, what is right, and what is best.

The problem is that the conscience of many are weak. Some have let their conscience to get so seared with a hot iron that they no longer listen to it. Unless there is something to strenghten the conscience (which is virtually impossible by themselves), they will sink lower and lower in that abyss.

Strengthening the conscience can happen in a number of ways, and God is not a requirement-- or at least a belief in God. Many of the most conscientious people I have known have been atheists whose value of human life was high enough to make them very ethical and compassionate people. Awakening to God isn't just about becoming more ethical to me, though it should be a side effect. It's a total transformation of the human being to a space of peace and love for all beings. Again- that difference between rightness and best-ness, between law and harmony.

I would add that awakening people's free will is also powerful. We tend to think of free will as something that simply leads us to evil, but it is not so. Free will is neutral. People who feel they have no freedom, who forget to be creative and thoughtful, can be just as damaging as those who have a poorly developed conscience. A person can be very conscientious- have the right intent- and still do great damage by not using their free will to creatively think of the best solutions. Many people blindly stumble through various decisions that have profoundly negative impacts on other beings driven not by a lack of conscience, but a lack of freedom of thought. So many I meet feel guilty over buying products, for example, that are made exploiting child labor. The guilt indicates their developed conscience. They fail to change their action because they are stuck in is the rut of social conditioning- that they must purchase XYZ and the only place to do so cheaply is Wal-Mart. Their failure to use their free will and creativity is what causes more suffering, and all the guilt in the world isn't freeing those children from exploitation.

Without the knowledge of God and the Holy Spirit enacting upon their lives, they will not experience the transformation need to grow, for it is His sustaining power that will enact it.

I wholeheartedly concur, though "knowledge" is nebulous. Even the demons know about God. It is the transformation that is the root of deliverance.

Back