Was Jesus merely a prophet whose authority was similar to that of Moses, Buddha, Muha

Re: Was Jesus merely a prophet whose authority was similar to that of Moses, Buddha,

Not exactly in its infancy. It was about like the spread of Christianity- after Buddhism was taken on by the state, it rapidly spread.

From wikipedia:

History of Buddhism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, it was floating around by the time Jesus was born.

There are legends that Jesus went with Joseph of Arimethia (spelling?) to the Celts and studied with the Druids and other legends that he went to India and studied Buddhism. But all the similarities between his teachings and these, I think, were available much closer to his usual stomping ground.

Unfortunately, we don't know if any part of the Bible, including the stories about Jesus' life (virgin birth, etc.) were written independently years after his ascension. There were so many documents that didn't make it in the Bible, others that made it in just barely (Revelations), and none of the gospels were written by eye-witnesses as far as we know.

That's where faith comes in. Though I don't believe the Bible should be taken literally or viewed as infallible, I do believe that the Bible can lead us to relationship with God and Christ, and that the Bible contains truth. However it came about, the Bible was inspired by God and so allows me, through both study and spirit, to gain entry to this inspiration.

Cool yeah I seen that aswell on Wiki there seems to have been connections with ancient Greeks and Buddhism before Christianity, the Ptolemy dynasty started off by one of Alexander the Great's powerful generals and cousin who acquired some of the empire after his death, Cleopatra was Ptolemy decent. The empire went as far as India so must have been from there they bought back Buddism. Funny how hostility can bring back peaceful concepts.

Re: Was Jesus merely a prophet whose authority was similar to that of Moses, Buddha,

According to that verse then you would have to limit your knowledge to a small fraction of what is known.
Besides, then, the letters that survived do not tell you much so if you are to reject everything which is beyond the fragment of what you have been told you are really limiting yourself.

i would not say i am limiting myself ,i think the bible is all that we need and it is most beneficial , and the goodnews that it contains is all we need .

16 All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.

and it equippes me for every good work

I don't get Jesus. I take at face value what others say about him, how he adds meaning to their lives and so forth, but I don't understand what the heck he's supposed to do in practical terms. He just seems like a good luck charm. A cultural icon of reassurance on a number of levels. That he's the hero of his own promotional material is hardly compelling proof of his deity or indeed his historicity.

Chris

And a voice came out of the cloud, saying: “This is my Son, the one that has been chosen. Listen to him. luke9;35

psalm 83;18 the most high JEHOVAH wants us to listen to his son .

I do not believe that Bible or any other book is the "Word of God," but I do not doubt the spiritual greatness of men like Jesus Christ, Moses, Buddha, Bhagavan Krishna, Mohammed, etc.

I do find great spiritual value in the teachings of The Sermon on the Mount attributed to Jesus Christ.

Hermano Luis

Greeting dear fellow!

Jesus pbuh was not mere, he was mighty prophet indeed. I know most of members have already been pointed this but why should I leave my chance..

Were these claims true, and was he thus really different from all other true prophets of God and in sharp contrast to all self-styled religious leaders?

Yes, it is true! (my comments are so special that I just need to say yes!)

Jesus pbuh was not different on the basis of points that are discussed at very forst post with Biblical references. If I'll start to swing with Bible to explain you all points so I'm sure you need thousand births to deal with me.

Actually, Jesus is not different on the basis of Unique Son of God. Okay! fine Jesus was born without father so is unfair to catch God to give him a son without any legal acts. Why should God take a son? Are all human died to take responsibility of Jesus? Okay! fine! if God is forced to be father of Jesus then what is the guilt of Adam, who has no father and no mother even? hm? :mad: So how Biblical scholars do suggest for Adam?

Moreover!

You say Jesus was "UNnique"...hm! show me...show me where Bible used this "unique" word as added to the post? Bible refers God to unjustly as father of whole humanity so where is the question of uniqueness with Jesus only? hm? :mad:

Moreover!

You say Jesus was ressurected and died then alive again, tell me when Jonah was alive in the belly of fish for three days and three nights, didn't it make Jonah more UNIQUE then all other prophets? hm? :mad:

Nay!

Quran calls you all towards unity by its unique statements, here!

Say ye: "We believe in God Almighty, and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to all prophets from their Lord: We make no difference between one and another of them: And we bow to God only." (2:136)

You make my mood off today I've to prepare for exams and yet...

Anyways!

Ciao!

Greeting dear fellow!

Jesus pbuh was not mere, he was mighty prophet indeed. I know most of members have already been pointed this but why should I leave my chance..

Yes, it is true! (my comments are so special that I just need to say yes!)

Jesus pbuh was not different on the basis of points that are discussed at very forst post with Biblical references. If I'll start to swing with Bible to explain you all points so I'm sure you need thousand births to deal with me.

Actually, Jesus is not different on the basis of Unique Son of God. Okay! fine Jesus was born without father so is unfair to catch God to give him a son without any legal acts. Why should God take a son? Are all human died to take responsibility of Jesus? Okay! fine! if God is forced to be father of Jesus then what is the guilt of Adam, who has no father and no mother even? hm? :mad: So how Biblical scholars do suggest for Adam?

Moreover!

You say Jesus was "UNnique"...hm! show me...show me where Bible used this "unique" word as added to the post? Bible refers God to unjustly as father of whole humanity so where is the question of uniqueness with Jesus only? hm? :mad:

Moreover!

You say Jesus was ressurected and died then alive again, tell me when Jonah was alive in the belly of fish for three days and three nights, didn't it make Jonah more UNIQUE then all other prophets? hm? :mad:

Nay!

Quran calls you all towards unity by its unique statements, here!

Say ye: "We believe in God Almighty, and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to all prophets from their Lord: We make no difference between one and another of them: And we bow to God only." (2:136)

You make my mood off today I've to prepare for exams and yet...

Anyways!

Ciao!
Lol, you are quite an interesting individual Summia! You make me smile as well.

v/r

Q

In response to this opening post I am responding as a Baha'i:

Mee wrote in the opening post:

Was Jesus merely a prophet whose authority was similar to that of Moses, Buddha, Prophet Muhammad...

My reply:

When many Christians think of the word "prophet" I believe they don't give it the proper respect or reverence.. Actually it can be shown that Jesus referred to Himself as a "prophet" after He was rejected, He is reported to have said in Mark 6:4

But Jesus, said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.

(King James Bible)

Mee wrote:

Jesus himself taught that he was the unique Son of God (John 10:36; Matt. 16:15-17), the foretold Messiah (Mark 14:61, 62), that he had a prehuman existence in heaven (John 6:38; 8:23, 58), that he would be put to death and then would be raised to life on the third day and would thereafter return to the heavens. (Matt. 16:21; John 14:2, 3)

My comment:

The claims as listed above are today highly loaded theological issues that have been debated for centuries.

Baha'is believe Jesus was a Manifestation of God and so in our view the title "Son of God" is more of a description of a spiritual relationship referred to by Jesus than as a literal physical sonship..

Jesus was the fulfillment of prophecy of the Messiah in Baha'i belief.

God is perfectly reflected in the Mirror of the Manifestation and God can speak through the Messenger of God but the Mirror is not God nor was the person of Jesus identical with God.

Jesus was crucified and martyred but His resurrection was spiritual not physical as some believe.

He prophesied that there would a Spirit of Truth Who would come after Him and Who would relay exactly what was told Him as it is related in John 16:13

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

(King James Bible)

Mee wrote:

Were these claims true, and was he thus really different from all other true prophets of God and in sharp contrast to all self-styled religious leaders?

Comment:

They were true to us Baha'is as I have humbly written above and

Jesus was unique in that He had a special mission to carry out for His era and place but spiritually He was identical and the same as all the other Manifestations and Prophets of God. To deny any of Them is to deny Them all.

Jesus was a true Prophet of God, a Messenger and Manifestation of God and not a "self-styled religious leader".

- Art

Greeting dear fellow!

Wow. A post with four frowning faces.

I'll have to counteract that...

:) :) :) :)

to restore order to the universe.

And a voice came out of the cloud, saying: “This is my Son, the one that has been chosen. Listen to him. luke9;35
Like I was saying, the fact that Jesus' promotional material, the NT, purports him to be God's son doesn't establish it as fact except with those already predisposed toward that belief.
psalm 83;18 the most high JEHOVAH wants us to listen to his son .
Let them know that you, whose name is the LORD—
that you alone are the Most High over all the earth.

Psalm 83:18 (Today's New International Version)

Just because you decide that the person referred to here as the "Lord" is in fact Jesus doesn't make it so.

Chris

Why is Jesus supposed to a great prophet? What did he prophesy that we can fact check? Anything...Bueller?

Chris

I do not believe that Bible or any other book is the "Word of God," but I do not doubt the spiritual greatness of men like Jesus Christ, Moses, Buddha, Bhagavan Krishna, Mohammed, etc.

I do find great spiritual value in the teachings of The Sermon on the Mount attributed to Jesus Christ.

Hermano Luis

I think that I can relate to you hermano. :)

I as well do not think that any sacred text is literally from the mouth of God, but I do believe that they can be inspired because the author(s) are apparently those who have realized God. For me it is mostly the Bhagwad Gita that I find much spiritual value in.

Lol, you are quite an interesting individual Summia! You make me smile as well.

v/r

Q

Thanks! :rolleyes:

And I think mee is still smiling no reply yet.

That he's the hero of his own promotional material is hardly compelling proof of his deity or indeed his historicity.

Chris
Indeed. Given the lack of any corroboration from independent sources we cannot take the story of Christ's life as anything more than a tale.

Indeed. Given the lack of any corroboration from independent sources we cannot take the story of Christ's life as anything more than a tale.

yet of mythological proportions you have to agree; like emtaksa points out its the spiritual value it has engendered that seems to promote its continuance.

yet of mythological proportions you have to agree; like emtaksa points out its the spiritual value it has engendered that seems to promote its continuance.

I think it has far less of an impact on "social value" than it does as an establishment metaphor for a clever propaganda coup.
When you analyse the Christ story it has everybody being required to be meek, mild mannered, passive, respectful of authority, willing to sacrifice and give without return. And in the same message there is the warning...try being an upstart, rebel against authority and you are going to get nailed to a post.
The Christian message is not what it seems. But what else can we expect from something essentially manufactured by fascist empire.

I think it has far less of an impact on "social value" than it does as an establishment metaphor for a clever propaganda coup.
When you analyse the Christ story it has everybody being required to be meek, mild mannered, passive, respectful of authority, willing to sacrifice and give without return. And in the same message there is the warning...try being an upstart, rebel against authority and you are going to get nailed to a post.
The Christian message is not what it seems. But what else can we expect from something essentially manufactured by fascist empire.

arent you disregarding the millions of relatively intelligent people who have a need, a want, for a concept, a belief, a 'tale' for individual personal salvation?

arent you disregarding the millions of relatively intelligent people who have a need, a want, for a concept, a belief, a 'tale' for individual personal salvation?
Yes. Patently and blatantly. Should I apologise for having the temerity to call the bluff a bluff? Should I deny my own finding that all establishment religion in essence is a political device and personal religion a self deceit? I remember millions of people in 1996 declaring the election of Tony Blair to be a great and historical moment and as the overthrow of corrupt politics by the peoples votes. I thought, no... I KNEW, him to be just another corporate poodle. Who was right?

Yes. Patently and blatantly. Should I apologise for having the temerity to call the bluff a bluff? Should I deny my own finding that all establishment religion in essence is a political device and personal religion a self deceit? I remember millions of people in 1996 declaring the election of Tony Blair to be a great and historical moment and as the overthrow of corrupt politics by the peoples votes. I thought, no... I KNEW, him to be just another corporate poodle. Who was right?

:rolleyes:

How ironic, the atheist turned prophet, claiming a revelation revealing all men's hearts.

:rolleyes:

How ironic, the atheist turned prophet, claiming a revelation revealing all men's hearts.

Actually from a certain perspective Tao is quite right, this is the downside of language dualism. From another perspective he is simultaneously quite wrong.

You see, inherent in the spiritual search is a facet that encourages separation from all that is, but there exists also encouragement to transcend that early stage of development going beyond mere perception into a purer awareness.

At least that is how I understand the writings of people like Rumi, Gibran, and St. Teresa of Avila.

It is the early development of the seeker that can be turned ethno/theocentric, encourage the us against them mentality responsible for so much horror in the world. This is what I think Tao is trying to say.

Back