Hello from a fellow seeker!

Welcome Dr Deb no need to fear dear Alex .. hes probably one of the nicest guys here.Dont tell him I said that, though. He likes to act all tough.

*make 'grr' noises and flexes and arches his eyebrows in attempts to look menacing.....*

Alex: I completely agree that we all wear masks, and you don't scare me anymore. :)

Sweet! To be honest... Your "dr" title un-nerves me ;)

Welcome! I'm looking forward to any insights you provide, especially in cross-religious understanding! :)

I am mostly trying to ponder who our "sleeper" Catholic is. LOL Q got me thinkin'...

Path of one: Thanks, and I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here, too! :) I like your username; I think each of us walks a path of one, and all our paths take us to the same destination.

Alex: Thanks! :)

Hello there from me too. So I was looking at the article about reforming university ed. Because universities are so old, it is unlikely a mere president will completely change them. They fill an important place, which gives them legitimacy and clout.

I agree the economy needs a school system that responds faster to changing industrial vibes.

I feel like experiments will harm students. Perhaps a newer, better college program could grow up and competitively complement or replace the old model, however there's no way a two year 'water' graduate is as prepared to work as a four year engineering student. These two year grads would have a tough row to hoe.

Yours,
Dream

Kiwimac: thank you! My friend lived in NZ for a year and said it was the most beautiful place he's ever been in his life. Seeing dolphins joyfully leaping in the water blew him away.

Dream: I agree on all points! I read somewhere that things are changing so fast right now that universities are preparing students for jobs that haven't been invented yet.I don't know if that means students might complete two years of just core classes before gaining some work experience to decide what they want to do, or if we need to take another look at what universities consider "core classes" to be. I've often thought that the school system teaches a *lot* of stuff I've never used, while teaching pretty much nothing about resolving conflict, listening, and other social skills that often derail even the brightest careers. I don't have all the answers, but I am excited that President Obama is looking into making changes that will more effectively address our current situation!

Tao Equus: Thank you! And don't worry -- I'm married to a non-believer and I often seek his non-biased seal of approval before posting anything. I just asked him no more than 30 minutes ago to read over a PURELY New Age article that would make any non-believer squirm with discomfort (don't read it) and I just wanted to be sure that my husband wouldn't think that anyone would find it offensive. Regarding the neurology study, I know a fair amount about statistics and research methodology, psychology, philosophy, and cardiology, but neurology isn't my area so I figured I'd just defer to the good doc who was the primary author of the research. :) Do you have additional information about that study that shows it's junk science? I'm always happy to yank an article if it's misleading!
A google of authorship. Both nailed all their conclusions to the cross of their preconceptions before they carried out any study. We discussed the study in another thread here, sorry I cannot recall its name (though maybe one of our memory genuises around here will remember it?). It is a good example for a discussion and I would not suggest you pull it. I'm not about censorship just about expressing my own flippant opinion ;)

I read somewhere that things are changing so fast right now that universities are preparing students for jobs that haven't been invented yet.
I come from a tiny country that has two of the oldest, most esteemed universities, Edinburgh and St Andrews, in the western hemisphere. The universities that spawned many greats including Darwin, Hume, Carnegie, Adam Smith, Telford and so many more of those that contributed to and are responsible for the state of our ongoing technological, philosophical and political evolution. Here universities have long won the battle to innovate ;) I know there are some very dubious universities in the US that try to thieve scientific credibility. Fortunately we do not have them here.:D

I come from a tiny country that has two of the oldest, most esteemed universities, Edinburgh and St Andrews, in the western hemisphere.

Huh, I thought you meant Oxford and Cambridge but yeah, I suppose you've got them as well. ;)

s.

Huh, I thought you meant Oxford and Cambridge but yeah, I suppose you've got them as well. ;)

s.
I do not think the productivity of the Scottish universities stood alone and island like but in a country that's never had a population exceeding that of an average European capital it has contributed disproportionately much to the human endeavour. I think it is something in the culture here. The droll sceptical cynicism that cuts to the truth of anything it is applied to. I think that has been of immense aid to critical academia. Scotland also excels in the arts too. Even today there are the likes of Danny Boyle, Jack Vetriano, J K Rowling, Ewan McGreggor and more all at the top of the game.

I come from a tiny country that has two of the oldest, most esteemed universities, Edinburgh and St Andrews, in the western hemisphere. The universities that spawned many greats including Darwin, Hume, Carnegie, Adam Smith, Telford and so many more of those that contributed to and are responsible for the state of our ongoing technological, philosophical and political evolution. Here universities have long won the battle to innovate ;) I know there are some very dubious universities in the US that try to thieve scientific credibility. Fortunately we do not have them here.:D

just to set the record straight aberdeen uni [1495] is actually older than edinburgh[1582], but yeh together with glasgow [1451]and st andrews [1413] scotland was within the vortex of the enlightenment [due l have to say to catholic connections :eek::eek:]

I do not think the productivity of the Scottish universities stood alone and island like but in a country that's never had a population exceeding that of an average European capital it has contributed disproportionately much to the human endeavour. I think it is something in the culture here. The droll sceptical cynicism that cuts to the truth of anything it is applied to. I think that has been of immense aid to critical academia. Scotland also excels in the arts too. Even today there are the likes of Danny Boyle, Jack Vetriano, J K Rowling, Ewan McGreggor and more all at the top of the game.

twas just to elicit a response from you :p

s.

just to set the record straight aberdeen uni [1495] is actually older than edinburgh[1582], but yeh together with glasgow [1451]and st andrews [1413] scotland was within the vortex of the enlightenment [due l have to say to catholic connections :eek::eek:]
Lmao, trust you to highlight that :D but though they may of had catholic beginings, its not where they have reached.

Lmao, trust you to highlight that :D but though they may of had catholic beginings, its not where they have reached.

true the rationalism of the enlightenment saw to that but yeh plenty of architects,philosophers,medicinemen an nobel prizers...certainly 2nd choices if one can't get into the top 2 in england n why there are such a lot of english at these unis [and needless to say many international students becuse of rep and what finances the operation].

Tao Equus and nativeastral: I must say I have new respect for the academic contributions of Scotland; thank you for bringing this up! Mostly I'm just jealous that Edinburgh has the Beltane Fire Festival every year on the 30th of April. ;-)

Snoopy: I have more than 10 posts now, so I'm going to go check out your album...

bbf8_welcome2.gif

Welcome to the site, DrDeb.

Back