Top 10 required movies.

I don’t watch many films so I’m sure there’s good ones that I’ve missed. But equally I’ve missed a lot of dross.

These are ones that I find good enough to enjoy repeatedly, few films can do that I think.

2001 A Space Oddysey

American Beauty

Baraka

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Koyaanisqatsi

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest

Schindler’s List

Sense and Sensibility

The English Patient

There Will be Blood

s.

@Greymare
Yeah. I think seeing those creatures had a big impact on me. Seeing them is like finding something truly alien. It is like driving through Los Angeles sort of.

@Tao
I started watching eraserhead once. I could not watch the film. I know real premature babies with terrible brain damage, and the movie is too much for that reason. It is too much horror. What prompted them to make this film?

Art meets psychology I think. My understanding is that David Lynch wanted to make a real horror movie. A movie that was not superficially scary with a "BOO" but using a sound score and visual imagery that would truly incite terror in the viewer. Nobody can watch this movie and be unnaffected by it. Lynch so often produces exceptional fare, Blue Velvet, The Elephant Man and Twin Peaks have all been similarly "stand alone" pieces.
I do not reccomend The Concrete Garden to you if you had to stop watching eraserhead. I think most of the films on my list like can be defined as human stories challenging the imagination and emotions in extraordinary ways. I like genre breaking movies it seems.

Into The Wild
The Big Lebowski
Pulp Fiction
Fiddler On The Roof
We Were Soldiers
V for Vendetta
Children Of Men
Big Fish
Instinct

In no particular order.... That is my ten.

Fiddler on the Roof? You DO have some class, Alex. :cool:

I couldn't get into We Were Soldiers. It just seemed too much of a blood bath.

Children of Men was good. Quite unexpected turns in that one.

My list coming forth.

Boy, this is hard. I'd have to go with movies that I can watch multiple, multiple times. In no particular order:

The Road Warrior (by far the best of the Mad Max movies)
My Name is Nobody (a personal favorite of mine of the spaghetti western genre, starring Henry Fonda and Terrence Hill)
Dirty Harry (big Clint fan, gotta have at least one)
Die Hard (IMO, the best action movie ever)
The Shawshank Redemption (the best of the King movies)
West Side Story (my favorite musical)
Planet of the Apes (my favorite sci-fi)
Cool Hand Luke (what we've got here is an excellent movie)
The Cowboys (my favorite John Wayne)
The Nutty Professor (the original Jerry Lewis masterpiece)

I've got at least 20 more I could rotate in at any given time.

Emperor Of The North
Shawshank Redemption
Raging Bull
Life Of Brian
The Razor's Edge
Overboard
Blazing Saddles
Braveheart
Cool Hand Luke
Apocalypse Now

I've never seen Fiddler on the Roof or Gone with the Wind. Can you believe that? Never seen ET.

That reminds me: Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Labyrinth, Wag the Dog, and Hair should be on the list somewhere.

Chris

My daughter works at the library...she's gonna be gettin a list....time to make the popcorn and have movie nights with the kids...with 16 year olds we can pretty much watch anything now...and all lead to great discussions...

second 'bravehart' ooorrrr

'the graduate' for da music and dustin as a sweetie

'the green mile' for excellence

ah, green mile...those folks fighting their racism...incredible... any thoughts on the nature of the 'bugs'?

some voodoo stuff?! must be in the minority have only read one stephen king book 'the shining' [before the film, love jack nicholson, ooo] 'one flew over the cuckoos nest'

An admirable choice. Ernest Borgnine has never played a better villian. (Come to think of it, has he ever played a villian besides this?)

Didn't he play an overbearing, mean boss in Willard? As I remember he got his comeuppance when Willard commanded his rat army to "tear him up"

Back