Debate on Science

This is why science is so valuable.

While a single observation may seem to point to a conclusion, it takes repeated trials and a multitude of independent experiments to verify a finding.

At the CERN collider in Geneva, they're searching for the Higgs Boson particle. But they're not going to claim they found it after the first possible sign of it. Additionally, they take steps to rule out the possibility that these finding might indicate something else altogether or are a byproduct of experimental or mechanical error. Have you attempted to rule out your theory of what NDEs are?

Relying on the account of a physician who is immersed in trying to save the patient is questionable at best. Is a pilot, desperately trying to recover a jetliner from a stall, the best source for knowing why the plane malfunctioned? I'm not saying the physician has no part in this, just a limited one, and is certainly not the last word when it comes to NDEs or the specific case in mind.

scientific methodology of the western kind - logical positivism, developed concurrently with einsteins theory of relativity, and was 'falsified' by karl poppers criticism, as well as kuhn's, then eventually the positivists themselves, eg carnap, helped by quine's demonstration that distinctions cannot be made between the analytic and synthetic, which the positivists had sought to demarcate [between sense and non sense].

since science uses conventions and models, 'assumptions', and only deals with what is, rather than any values or meaning or oughts it will never existentially satisfy the human mind. science cannot deal with 'explaining' the reason for phenomena; even its models, though successful as a continual developmental process, has not been able to explain even basic laws satisfactorily but uses them to further science in a kind of 'blind faith' way, much like religion, ie they 'trust' that science holds the answers to all questions [eventually].

The problem with logical positivism

Good post. :)

cz, I'm curious as to your particular approach to Buddhism. I'm guessing you are more of a Stephen Batchelor type-you know Buddhism without the beliefs. Otherwise, I suspect you woudn't be having so much difficulty accepting the possibity of mind functioning outside of brain function if you were traditionally Buddhist, what with their traditional beliefs about the Bardos and all. As for a Buddhist trivia aside, perhaps you are familiar with the traditional Tibetan Buddhist esteem held for thse who have had a near death expereince. In their tradtion, they are referred to as delogs and the wisdom with which they return is highly valued.:) earl

Good post. :)

Good post?! :eek:

... has not been able to explain even basic laws satisfactorily but uses them to further science in a kind of 'blind faith' way, much like religion, ie they 'trust' that science holds the answers to all questions [eventually].

You can attribute anything you like to science, but it doesn't make it true. Please tell me who "they" are who claim science holds the answers or eventually will hold the answers to all questions. Making such an claim and attempting to connect it to science is simply outrageous.

I googled, "science will eventually know all the answers" and came up with exactly 1 hit from a NY Times Blog, Lack of Exercise Explains Depression-Heart Link, to which comment #45 writes...
Oh, yes, the god of Science will eventually know all the answers to life’s mysteries!

I could write a book in answer to this column and all these comments, but suffice it to say that I have virtually no respect for “scientific studies,” period.

Hmmmm... so far the only people using this language are those attempting to demean science. Isn't that curious?

It reminds me of Nick_A when he claimed Obama supporters thought of him as the "Messiah". It's very easy to exaggerate a person's viewpoint to absurd levels and then attack the absurdity. But I can assure you that your straw man will not stand unchallenged.

cz, I'm curious as to your particular approach to Buddhism. I'm guessing you are more of a Stephen Batchelor type-you know Buddhism without the beliefs. Otherwise, I suspect you woudn't be having so much difficulty accepting the possibity of mind functioning outside of brain function if you were traditionally Buddhist, what with their traditional beliefs about the Bardos and all. As for a Buddhist trivia aside, perhaps you are familiar with the traditional Tibetan Buddhist esteem held for thse who have had a near death expereince. In their tradtion, they are referred to as delogs and the wisdom with which they return is highly valued.:) earl

I have no idea who Stephen Batchelor is.

I am a Soto Zen Buddhist. I am an American and grew up as an atheist, so I have little use for ritual or religion.

I've have read the Tibetan Book of the Dead. But I don't believe everything I read. I have no reason to disbelieve it either. I have the luxury of knowing that I will die and experience it soon enough.

I have little use for the traditions you cite, as I'm sure they contain a healthy dose superstition, which I try to minimize in my thinking.

In all of my studies on Buddhism, questions about the origin of the world and it's end, of death and the afterlife, were deemed unnecessary for enlightenment. So I do not concern myself with these answers.

So far as I know, Luna has been, like me, a scientist/researcher. I am not sure if Netti has or not. What I find interesting is that positivism's defenders are often not themselves involved in professionally doing any kind of science. I certainly don't wish to demean a mode of inquiry I myself practice professionally and have a lot of respect for, but at the same time, there is a balance to be had. Science is not the only way to approach knowing something, and it is not always the most expedient, effective, or useful way of knowing. It is when someone sees it as such that I grow concerned that science is being used like a religious system, a sort of totality through which to view the world, rather than the tool-kit for inquiry that it is meant to be.

As for NDE, it works both ways. One can't say on one hand "God, spirit, nothing like that exists because we can't measure or prove it" and yet on the other hand "Despite having no measurement of brain, heart, or lung functioning, the person was not dead and was in fact having brain activity." To be consistent, either one has to acknowledge that in either case, we face limitations in measurement that skew our analyses... or that in either case, our measurements are correct and unlimited in scope, and we have a real dilemma of conflicting data.

Personally, I choose the former, remain open to possibility and try to honor and respect each individual's experience. But this thread was about science, not NDE, which I believe has been discussed elsewhere, so I am not going to comment extensively on it. Suffice it to say that more than one scientist and/or doctor has moved into a realm of accepting that their patients' may not all be complete morons in terms of analysis of their own experience, and perhaps have something valuable to share with others. I seriously doubt that all of them are only in it for the publicity. Writing a book or two generally has somewhat limited circulation if you're not writing the Harry Potter series, and isn't a major money maker, contrary to what some people think. To say otherwise, unless backed with evidence, is simply to expose one's cynicism and bias without any grounding in factual information.

I have no idea who Stephen Batchelor is.

I am a Soto Zen Buddhist. I am an American and grew up as an atheist, so I have little use for ritual or religion.

I've have read the Tibetan Book of the Dead. But I don't believe everything I read. I have no reason to disbelieve it either. I have the luxury of knowing that I will die and experience it soon enough.

I have little use for the traditions you cite, as I'm sure they contain a healthy dose superstition, which I try to minimize in my thinking.

In all of my studies on Buddhism, questions about the origin of the world and it's end, of death and the afterlife, were deemed unnecessary for enlightenment. So I do not concern myself with these answers.
Stephen Batchlor has penned a few Buddhist books, including "Buddhism Without Beliefs." His approach has been loosely called agnostic Buddhism in that his stance is to pratice basic meditative inquiry while not holding to any of Buddhism's standard metaphysical suppositions. While I do not know if Soto Zen monastic training entails teachings on the Bardos, (typically a vajrayana thing), have seen a few Zen priests openly discuss them. earl

OMG. Path, you're usually pretty reasonable, but you've gone totally off the rails this time.

Before I delve into your post, I'd like to remind you of Tao's OP, where he introduces the subject of science's limitations. He even provides quotes from three famous scientists which I've excerpted here...
CHOMSKY—So the actual sciences tell us virtually nothing about human affairs.

KRAUSS—As a result, as one moves from physics, to chemistry, to biology, to social science, the ability to isolate questions, and provide definitive answers becomes progressively more difficult.

CARROLL—The real world is a complicated, messy place, and there are many interesting questions about which contemporary science has little to say.

And now on to your post, from which I have excerpted key parts...

Science is not the only way to approach knowing something...

It is when someone sees it as such that I grow concerned that science is being used like a religious system...

But nobody here has suggested a viewpoint like this. In fact those of us defending the scientific method have said time and time again that it does not provide all the answers and is not a perfect system.

Ironically, the only time you see this concept mentioned is by people, including yourself, who continue to accuse science of having this bias when in fact it does not.

As for NDE, it works both ways. One can't say on one hand "God, spirit, nothing like that exists because we can't measure or prove it" and yet on the other hand "Despite having no measurement of brain, heart, or lung functioning, the person was not dead and was in fact having brain activity."

Nice quotes Path, unfortunately you won't find them anywhere in this thread except in your own post! I can only assume you're having an argument with yourself, which when done in public, can lead people to think you've gone completely bonkers.

...unless backed with evidence, is simply to expose one's cynicism and bias without any grounding in factual information.

So in my mind what you've done here is neatly summed up in your last line. Without evidence you've exposed your cynicism and bias. I hope you'll return to grounding your arguments in factual information and I will welcome you back once you do.

Good post?! :eek:

... has not been able to explain even basic laws satisfactorily but uses them to further science in a kind of 'blind faith' way, much like religion, ie they 'trust' that science holds the answers to all questions [eventually].

You can attribute anything you like to science, but it doesn't make it true. Please tell me who "they" are who claim science holds the answers or eventually will hold the answers to all questions. Making such an claim and attempting to connect it to science is simply outrageous.

I googled, "science will eventually know all the answers" and came up with exactly 1 hit from a NY Times Blog, Lack of Exercise Explains Depression-Heart Link, to which comment #45 writes...
Oh, yes, the god of Science will eventually know all the answers to life’s mysteries!

I could write a book in answer to this column and all these comments, but suffice it to say that I have virtually no respect for “scientific studies,” period.

Hmmmm... so far the only people using this language are those attempting to demean science. Isn't that curious?

It reminds me of Nick_A when he claimed Obama supporters thought of him as the "Messiah". It's very easy to exaggerate a person's viewpoint to absurd levels and then attack the absurdity. But I can assure you that your straw man will not stand unchallenged.

Funny, I googled "science will eventually know all the answers" and got 1,060,000 hits.

Native's post was about Logical Positivism. Logical positivism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With respect to Logical Positivism, Native's remarks are spot on.

Logical positivism is not "Science." It is a materialistic philosophy and a misapplication of science. :)

Funny, I googled "science will eventually know all the answers" and got 1,060,000 hits.

Uhhh... that's because I enclosed it in quotes. So I found only one example of the sentence, "science will eventually know all the answers".

You got 1,060,000 hits that looked a lot like your top hit...

Will Alchemy eventually be a real science? - Yahoo! Answers
Will Alchemy eventually be a real science? WE all know ancient forms of Alchemy are ... Third, that kind of behavior is why people give terrible answers. ...

Nice try Luna. :rolleyes:

Uhhh... that's because I enclosed it in quotes. So I found only one example of the sentence, "science will eventually know all the answers".

You got 1,060,000 hits that looked a lot like your top hit...

Will Alchemy eventually be a real science? - Yahoo! Answers
Will Alchemy eventually be a real science? WE all know ancient forms of Alchemy are ... Third, that kind of behavior is why people give terrible answers. ...

Nice try Luna. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

OMG. Path, you're usually pretty reasonable, but you've gone totally off the rails this time.

I'm always considered reasonable when the person assessing my reasonability agrees with me. When that person does not agree with me, oftentimes they perceive me as unreasonable. Yet, I am the same person. ;)

But nobody here has suggested a viewpoint like this. In fact those of us defending the scientific method have said time and time again that it does not provide all the answers and is not a perfect system.

In past discussions, Tao has often asserted that despite science not being a perfect system, it is the best way to approach every issue. Perhaps I am unfairly widening the discussion to include past assertions, but I think Tao has been fairly consistent about seeing the other modes of inquiry as inferior to science, and there is often an underlying tone, therefore, that other cultures' ways of knowing and types of knowledge are inferior to that of the West. This type of thinking often accompanies a positivist viewpoint, which is quite different from saying science is good for some things and other modes of inquiry are good for other things, and we can all learn from each other.

Ironically, the only time you see this concept mentioned is by people, including yourself, who continue to accuse science of having this bias when in fact it does not.

Science does have biases. That doesn't mean it is useless.

Nice quotes Path, unfortunately you won't find them anywhere in this thread except in your own post! I can only assume you're having an argument with yourself, which when done in public, can lead people to think you've gone completely bonkers.

I am summing up the conversation on NDE between yourself and earl. Earl asserted that doctors have reported people coming back to life after lacking brain, heart, and lung activity as measured by modern medical instruments. These people report generally similar experiences. You asserted that the doctors' evidence is either skewed or otherwise flawed by a lack of adequate measurement.

I was pointing out that, oddly enough, many atheists' assertions that God does not exist is based on the assumption that they have adequate measurement to deny evidence, while dismissing others' observation and personal experience as inadequate.

If you can't see where I'm going with this line of thinking, I don't think I can spell it out any clearer.

So in my mind what you've done here is neatly summed up in your last line. Without evidence you've exposed your cynicism and bias. I hope you'll return to grounding your arguments in factual information and I will welcome you back once you do.

I've never said I don't have bias. On the contrary, part of being a good scientist is to recognize one's assumptions, operational definitions, and biases.

I would say that it's pretty hard to assert that I'm the cynical one when I'm open to all modes of inquiry and all people's knowledge and experience for my own learning. But hey, whatever makes you feel like you're right. It really makes very little difference to me. I ground my arguments in what I feel to be accurate given my experience, and people can take it or leave it. Welcomed or not, it really isn't the point. I'm not here to be welcomed. I'm here to work through my thoughts on things and share ideas, learn and grow. I'm not here to gain a following or please anyone or everyone. That's partly (I would guess) why Tao and I get along and enjoy these sorts of conversations. :)

In past discussions, Tao has often asserted that despite science not being a perfect system, it is the best way to approach every issue. Perhaps I am unfairly widening the discussion to include past assertions...

It's quite the devious trick, finding quotes from other threads and using them to bolster your argument... which is probably why I've used it myself. ;)

Now that I've seen it used against "my side" I think I'll curtail using that tactic in the future. It's a tad unseemly.

... but I think Tao has been fairly consistent about seeing the other modes of inquiry as inferior to science

And yet here he was clearly saying otherwise. As I indicated in the response above, in the future I will ask, "in a previous thread you said A and now you seem to be saying B. Could you clarify that for me please? (see how polite I am when not actually engaged in debate?)

You asserted that the doctors' evidence is either skewed or otherwise flawed by a lack of adequate measurement.

Here, your cynicism is showing again. I did not say "skewed" or "flawed" at all. In fact, I said, "Just because we couldn't quantify her brain activity [with our current medical equipment], didn't mean that none existed."

I did not say it is true or not true. I implied, if anything, that more studies need to be made and more accurate measurements need to be taken to better understand NDEs.

If you can't see where I'm going with this line of thinking, I don't think I can spell it out any clearer.

What I saw was a generous stretching of my statements to mean things I never stated. As a debating tactic it's devious... and I can relate to that.

I would say that it's pretty hard to assert that I'm the cynical one when I'm open to all modes of inquiry and all people's knowledge and experience for my own learning.

Oh you're cynical, and manipulative, and conniving... just like the rest of us. Welcome to the club.

I'm not here to gain a following or please anyone or everyone. That's partly (I would guess) why Tao and I get along and enjoy these sorts of conversations. :)

Me too! It's the most fun that I have on the internet. Thanks for playing along! :D

On this NDE author and the claim of brain death I do not believe at all that I am overtly sceptical. I would call it a healthy scepticism. The operation in question was not performed to study brain death or NDE's, it was to remove a tumour. The purpose of the cooling technique used was to reduce not stop body activity. While some probes would have been used to measure certain major neural activity centres the remit was not to measure all brain activity. It is very easy to target one type of brain activity and when its reduces claim brain death while ignoring other regions altogether. I have little doubt that this is what happened in this case.

These fringe markets are lucrative. And a well placed sensational book routinely earns several years worth of normal salary. I think to ignore this angle, whilst there is an assumed corruption in science as a whole, is naive.

I am not a scientist. And, despite what some seem to be determined to think, I do not use science as, nor to support, a labelled philosophy. But I do believe there is not one question that can be asked where the scientific method is not the best method to get an answer that has 'evidence' to support it. Science deals with evidence and accuracy and these are the things that interest me. In years gone by I have learned that believing based on what amounts to wishful thinking to be far inferior to that which is based on evidence. My use of science is not blind either. I am aware of its faults and limitations and weigh them in constantly. While I hear the claim that I ignore some gnosis held by 'other' cultures and paradigms I never see them spelled out or exampled. It is a broad spectrum label that needs a lot of clarification before it is of any value in this debate.

The reason for starting this thread is because people keep trying to say that my use of science in support of my thinking here amounts to a theology in its own right. I think this totally untrue. I think I use science because it is well suited to evaluating facts. When metaphysics, pseudo-science, spirituality or any other non-empirical mode of assertion is made I can use science. Because science is ideally suited to test assertions. To say that science cannot be used to make comment on these things is utterly false. Every aspect of religious belief from its origins to its manifestation in the individual is under the scrutiny of the scientific method in an ongoing exploration of what it is to be a human. And like humanity itself science will always be a work in progress. It has no certitudes only best hypothesis.

I am tired of this accusation and of consistently seeing this diversion into separate realms. I call it shifting the goalposts. This idea that keeps cropping up in replies to me that belief and science are somehow mutually exclusive is just bogus. All religion that we know of resides in mankind. We can study every facet of man. If you ask science is there a universal creative principle at work the answer is of course yes. If there was not we would not be here to ask the question. Science asks "how does it work" and in the search for the answers to the gazillions of questions this one question produces there is no hint of deliberate design. Everything can be explained in the emergent properties of matter, increasing complexity and chaos. And let us not forget that everything ever created is destroyed. There is a partnership there.

So science is not my religion. It is a body of evidence gathered from testing ideas in a logical way that I use to find the best hypothesis, the one that makes the most sense, for me. But I am always aware of the fact that that hypothesis can be overturned with new evidence. I may have the writing style of a quintessential Scots Presbyterian pulpit thumper but do not think for a moment I have the kind of self importance to think I know what the answer to any question is never mind super-reality is in its entirety. I know next to nothing and I know that acutely. That said often the debates here are repetitive, and of course I am only tempted to engage in a thread where I have some interest. Normally if I am using science to support a statement it is not the first time I have thought about or approached a subject. All of the more common assertions made in support of metaphysical paradigms have compelling bodies of evidence that say they are unfounded. I am an atheist who has become one because I looked at the evidence and from what I can see religious belief boils down to believing in things without testing them unceasingly. Facts, as best we can deduce them, are what interest me not blind belief. And that sums up the difference between metaphysical belief and science. Science always has its eyes wide open and belief has them squeezed shut. Science can and does approach this phenomenon too, but those with their eyes closed are invested in their dreams... and often do not appreciate being disturbed ;)

It's quite the devious trick, finding quotes from other threads and using them to bolster your argument... which is probably why I've used it myself. ;)

I don't see why it is devious in the least. I am not here to argue (believe it or not). I am here to have an ongoing conversation. I see Tao as a friend I have known a long time. If I were having this conversation over dinner with him, I wouldn't completely ignore all other conversations we ever had. I would be asking, "But what about when you said this?" and "Can you clarify that?" It seems odd to me that one would have a series of conversations that are entirely devoid of past knowledge of the person and past things they have said. How would that be productive? Seems like you'd reinvent the wheel a lot...

Now that I've seen it used against "my side" I think I'll curtail using that tactic in the future. It's a tad unseemly.

:p

And yet here he was clearly saying otherwise. As I indicated in the response above, in the future I will ask, "in a previous thread you said A and now you seem to be saying B. Could you clarify that for me please? (see how polite I am when not actually engaged in debate?)

I was honestly unaware I was being rude, if that is how I was perceived. I was attempting to nail down whether Tao is positivist or not. He's slippery on the issue because while he has never argued science as being infallible, he has argued science as being the best mode of inquiry for all subjects and dismissed inquiry through other approaches.

Here, your cynicism is showing again. I did not say "skewed" or "flawed" at all. In fact, I said, "Just because we couldn't quantify her brain activity [with our current medical equipment], didn't mean that none existed."

I believe either you or Tao (Tao, I think) asserted that the doctor would be skewed toward NDE due to a lucrative audience. Secondly, if the instruments are not adequately measuring brain activity, that would mean data that shows no brain activity is flawed by a lack of adequate instrumentation. I am confused as to why stating the obvious is cynicism.

I did not say it is true or not true. I implied, if anything, that more studies need to be made and more accurate measurements need to be taken to better understand NDEs.

It did not come across that way to me, but I entirely concur. I don't think adequate studies have been done on the phenomena of OBE and NDE.

What I saw was a generous stretching of my statements to mean things I never stated. As a debating tactic it's devious... and I can relate to that.

You give me too much credit. I don't really have tactics. I just state my experience, opinion/analysis, and how I feel about and intrepret what others are saying. But I'm glad it comes across like I have a plan.

Oh you're cynical, and manipulative, and conniving... just like the rest of us. Welcome to the club.

I didn't say I wasn't cynical, but I don't think I am cynical about this particular issue. At least, I can say that I am striving for balance between modes of inquiry, with recognition of the advantages and disadvantages of each. But thanks for the welcome wagon. :D

Me too! It's the most fun that I have on the internet. Thanks for playing along! :D

No problem- the more the merrier! :)

On this NDE author and the claim of brain death I do not believe at all that I am overtly sceptical. I would call it a healthy scepticism.

I would say it is great to have skepticism about something like NDE. There are many more doctors and PhDs who have studied and written on the subject, but I still think there is much we don't understand. In terms of usefulness, however, NDE seems to be useful. Most people that come back improve their lives. I fail to see how the peace, love, sense of purpose, etc. that they share is harmful, and on the contrary seems rather useful in society, so while skepticism is of course healthy as a scientist, I also respect and honor their experience by not dismissing outright their claims and what they have learned. I am not implying you do, but rather that some do, and this seems to be an imbalance between skepticism and openness.

These fringe markets are lucrative. And a well placed sensational book routinely earns several years worth of normal salary. I think to ignore this angle, whilst there is an assumed corruption in science as a whole, is naive.

I don't ignore it, but it is an overstatement to say that people publish only or primarily for this reason. Such books for the public often alienate oneself from mainstream science, so the potential earnings of a few years of normal salary aren't very appetizing when juxtaposed to losing academic credibility and wasting time on a publication that won't count toward tenure. I am aware of this sort of thing because there are books I'd love to write that would probably cause me academic obstacles and so I have not written them yet. The potential earnings from a book, unless the audience is as wide as a popular novel brings, is not likely to be as great as the problems it creates. Of course, some people could have other motives, such as gaining a following or somesuch that makes the risk worth it. And some people publish this sort of controversial but popular stuff after they retire or obtain tenure so as to have some protection.

But I do believe there is not one question that can be asked where the scientific method is not the best method to get an answer that has 'evidence' to support it.

Yes, it is the question of evidence, in part, that makes science a good mode of inquiry or not. Questions like "why am I here?" and "what is the meaning of life?" and so on just won't do, which is why we have other types of inquiry.

While I hear the claim that I ignore some gnosis held by 'other' cultures and paradigms I never see them spelled out or exampled. It is a broad spectrum label that needs a lot of clarification before it is of any value in this debate.

I thought I'd given you a list of some readings to start with- mostly ethnographies and some theoretical works. Did I post it under Comparative? I think so... it's under one of the "Anthro of Religion" threads. Let me know if you can't find it, because I had compiled a list of some theoretical and ethnographic works that explain the value and knowledge held by other cultures and their religious systems. It is sort of just a beginning point- there are entire fields, such as cultural ecology and ethnobiology, that detail how various cultures encode knowledge about the natural world in useful ways through stories, rituals, etc. Seriously- I think you would find the literature quite interesting.

The reason for starting this thread is because people keep trying to say that my use of science in support of my thinking here amounts to a theology in its own right.

I don't think this, if it helps any. I think sometimes your statements approach theological-ish statements, but I don't think your use of science amounts to theology. I will maintain that atheism (as opposed to agnosticism) is a belief, and as such, is more similar to theology than scientific theory. But your use of science itself does not constitute theology.

Because science is ideally suited to test assertions. To say that science cannot be used to make comment on these things is utterly false.

The problem comes in how science is used. All of the "soft" sciences that are forced out of necessity to use human observation and experience as data, do so. And they still operate much as the "hard" sciences do- with theory building on past theory, debate about interpretation and methodology, etc. Somehow, however, many are loathe to use this same type of data (observation and experience) in the area of religion, supernatural, magic, etc. I am not saying that people's interpretations of their own experience is accurate, but rather that dismissing it all outright as if it is some figment of human cognition is not a scientific approach. Rather, we should be doing what we do with other such types of data, which is to gather the observations and experiences- the raw materials and narratives- and then try to figure out what we can do to approach the issue scientifically. Sometimes we find that while the explanatory model is inaccurate, the practical knowledge is both useful and compelling, and the explanatory model is an ingenious way of transmitting complex information and ensuring consistent behavior according to this real information.

Thus, I would argue that science is a great way to approach such issues, but only if it starts without fundamental biases and assumptions that are counterproductive to its goal of understanding and practical use.

Last edited:
I was honestly unaware I was being rude, if that is how I was perceived. I was attempting to nail down whether Tao is positivist or not. He's slippery on the issue because while he has never argued science as being infallible, he has argued science as being the best mode of inquiry for all subjects and dismissed inquiry through other approaches.

Well my opinion is that you are as close to incapable of being rude as anyone I think things through with. CZ cannot help thinking like an orang-outang, and has only just evolved any language beyond "ook". Additional I can assure you that privately he flatters you ;)

Of course I'm slippery. I'm a Pisces and have all the standard Pisces traits. Smelly, slippery and prone to get stuck in the throat if not meticulously carved up ;) I do have positivistic tendencies and am refusing medication for it. But I do not ascribe to any school... I just make it up as I go along... could you not tell? :D

I don't see why it is devious in the least. I am not here to argue (believe it or not). I am here to have an ongoing conversation.

I'm here for that too. But that's exactly what you didn't do in this case. You ignored what Tao was telling you in this conversation and reached back into previous conversation in—what I perceived—an attempt to play "Gotcha!"

Forums are a form of recorded conversation. In a real conversation we would have said, "Excuse me, but haven't you said X in the past?" thus giving the person a chance to clarify any misunderstanding. Pulling out the tape recorder before giving the person a chance to speak for his/herself is the unseemly aspect which I will endeavor not to repeat.

If however, that person denies ever having said X, I think it's fair to ask, "Would you like for me to find the incidence where you did?"

It seems odd to me that one would have a series of conversations that are entirely devoid of past knowledge of the person and past things they have said. How would that be productive? Seems like you'd reinvent the wheel a lot...

And yet you and he still differ in agreeing with what has been said and meant in all these past and present conversations. It sounds to me as if the wheel is still being made for the very first time.

I was honestly unaware I was being rude...

You weren't being rude... just misleading and maybe not even intentionally (believe me, I know intentional rudeness, and I am trying to minimize it). But you do seem to have something of a pollyanna self-image, incapable of seeing when you're being manipulative. You might ask your husband about this, but he'd likely be hesitant to tell you the truth. (Oh! There's that rudeness again!)

I believe you're somewhere in your early 30's and I must say a fine example of a young adult: very capable, polite, intelligent and reasonable. But self-awareness and improvement is a never ending pursuit and I'd suggest you look a little more deeply into some of your motivations.

You are now more than welcome to tell me what a [DELETED] I am and how I should keep my nose out of your business.

Secondly, if the instruments are not adequately measuring brain activity, that would mean data that shows no brain activity is flawed by a lack of adequate instrumentation.

The inability to measure something beyond it's capability is not a flaw. A sonar is not flawed because it can't pick up TV signals. All we pointed out was the fact that the device's inability to detect brain activity does not prove that no brain activity existed.

You give me too much credit. I don't really have tactics. I just state my experience, opinion/analysis, and how I feel about and intrepret what others are saying. But I'm glad it comes across like I have a plan.

Again... the self-awareness part. But you're young. With luck, you'll become more aware of your motivations in time.

I'm not trying to turn this into a personal attack. But this is after all a forum on faith and spiritual practice. And Buddhism (my faith) in particular is about closely examining our thoughts, emotions, perceptions and motivations in order to see what is wholesome and needs to be nurtured and what is unwholesome and needs to be throw out.

In Buddhism there is no savior, nobody responsible for our progress, nobody who will grant us enlightenment other than our own self. The investigation into my mind and motivations has long been and rewarding endeavor and I urge you to continue the pursuit in your life. I know you will.

Peace.

There are many more doctors and PhDs who have studied and written on the subject....
And none of them have passed the rigorous groups of sceptics that test their claims. If they had it would be sensational news. Religious leaders the world over would be saying KaChing!! all the way to the bank.

.. Most people that come back improve their lives....
I read a book about heroin induced NDE's once. (Addicts OD experiences). That was far from a Watchtower paradise in bright primary colours. How do you know that most people who have some memory from when they were unconscious enjoyed the experience?

I also respect and honor their experience by not dismissing outright their claims and what they have learned...
No I would not be so bluntly stating my opinions in some other situations, and I know you know me well enough to know that... but this is a forum.

I want to say more...and will....but going out for the evening and its time to get ready.

(and you two are fun to read these past posts... wonder if I can rep u both....)

tarrah :)

I'm not trying to turn this into a personal attack.

It does read like that, though - you seem to have focused on condescending the poster instead.

Might be nice to try and get back on the original discussion subject. :)

Back