Debate on Science

And none of them have passed the rigorous groups of sceptics that test their claims. If they had it would be sensational news. Religious leaders the world over would be saying KaChing!! all the way to the bank.

That tends to be the problem - I think in most instances there are bigger concerns in mind at the time then rigorously testing NDE hypotheses, ie, saving the life of the patient. :)

I'm sure it would be possible to run such a study under laboratory conditions a la Flatliners, but I don't think James Randi would get that past any ethics committees. :)

Obviously NDE's are a real experience - the unresolved question is whether this represents an objective as opposed to presumed subjective experience.

I remember reading up about NDE studies via D Scott Rogo a long time ago, and one of the key points raised was that there are common elements within NDE experiences, but that these are often interpreted at a cultural level.

In which case, Tao, the irony is that if you really want to destroy religion, then you could possibly do so by proving the NDE experience to be objective - because in demonstrating that not only does life after death exist, but also that it is not governed by any religious dogmas, you validate the notion of afterlife while completely undermining all religious claims and trademarks associated with it.

Somehow that sounds rather delicious. :)

It does read like that, though - you seem to have focused on condescending the poster instead.

Might be nice to try and get back on the original discussion subject. :)

Of course. My apologies for veering into the personal.

As I said, I'm aware of my tendency to rudeness, and am making an effort to minimize it in my posts.

My skill in debate makes it quite unnecessary. ;)

It does read like that, though - you seem to have focused on condescending the poster instead.

Might be nice to try and get back on the original discussion subject. :)

I'd agree, I, Brian. CZ, in my line of work I essentially take a "scientific" approach to understanding the person in front of me-I entertain a variety of hypotheses of where they're coming from-what their attitudes, motivations, stated and "unstated" messages might imply about that. However, am always mindful they are merely hypotheses to await further testing. I'm very cautious about assuming I "know" what that person is all about even after a number of meetings. Attempting to "psychoanalyze" someone not even in the same room as you via discussion forums is the height of hubris. earl

Attempting to "psychoanalyze" someone not even in the same room as you via discussion forums is the height of hubris. earl

Oh, surely I haven't yet reached my potential for hubris.

Sir, you underestimate me!

I'm here for that too. But that's exactly what you didn't do in this case. You ignored what Tao was telling you in this conversation and reached back into previous conversation in—what I perceived—an attempt to play "Gotcha!"

Apparently, I simply did not communicate very well. I had no intention of "gotcha"-ness- just confused as to where Tao was at on the spectrum of positivism to subjectivism. I actually thought the OP was asking a question, not making a statement... as in, Tao was asking opinions about the quotes and science, not making a clear statement of his own opinion at the moment. It's entirely plausible that I mistook his OP, though. I thought Tao and I were doing pretty well with working through the issue though. :confused:

Pulling out the tape recorder before giving the person a chance to speak for his/herself is the unseemly aspect which I will endeavor not to repeat.

I think that's odd. It's not exactly a tape recorder, is it? To say- hey, I thought you believed/proposed XYZ a while back... how does that jive with this over here? Tape recorder is something I (quite frankly) don't have time or patience for-- it would be to actually find his old quotes. So now you know my weakness- I might assert you said X or Y, but I'd have to be really bored to actually back it up with direct quotes from the past. It's a rare day when I don't have a life outside of the internet. ;)

And yet you and he still differ in agreeing with what has been said and meant in all these past and present conversations. It sounds to me as if the wheel is still being made for the very first time.

My own perspective of Tao and I's ongoing conversations is that we experience many of the same things, interpret them pretty differently, and like to bounce ideas off each other, often calling each other on our respective baseline worldviews. He with his leaning toward positivism and I with my leaning toward mysticism. So, I dunno. I pretty much talk with him just like I would a friend that I have coffee with regularly. I figure if he gets sick of it and dislikes it, he'll let me know. He isn't normally very reserved with his criticism. LOL :D

You weren't being rude... just misleading and maybe not even intentionally (believe me, I know intentional rudeness, and I am trying to minimize it). But you do seem to have something of a pollyanna self-image, incapable of seeing when you're being manipulative. You might ask your husband about this, but he'd likely be hesitant to tell you the truth. (Oh! There's that rudeness again!) :D

Thanks for the long-distance psychoanalysis of my relationship and my self-image. Now if you could just divine my future and perhaps prescribe a course of herbs and crystals to balance my chakras, I'd have something to work with. LOL :rolleyes:

To be honest, I'm very, very hard on myself. I can be misleading, and yes- it is nearly always unintentional because I want to be understood. As for manipulation, to be honest, I am entirely unsure of what I would be trying to manipulate people into in a conversation like this, but I'm sure with your long-distance skills at psychological assessment, you could inform me. ;) As for my husband, he's very similar to me in personality and we are more the type to have passionate arguments and then fall passionately in love, over and over, than the type to manipulate each other. We're both kind of moody, artsy, and fiery that way. Not necessarily a good thing, but hey, it's the personality I got.

I believe you're somewhere in your early 30's and I must say a fine example of a young adult: very capable, polite, intelligent and reasonable. But self-awareness and improvement is a never ending pursuit and I'd suggest you look a little more deeply into some of your motivations.

Thank you, O Wise One. :) Nah, seriously, CZZ, thanks for the compliments, but I realize that this stuff is a journey. I think I've been pretty clear about that in my posts and my assessment is I am far from the other shore, but I do try and I have some idea of where I am rowing toward. As for motivations, I don't know what you're referring to- my motivations for being here, for my career, for my spiritual practices??? It's all too broad. In general, my motivations in life are: to love and be loved, to have fun, and to pursue stuff that makes me curious. That's about all. Oh, except for my plan for taking over the world... :)

You are now more than welcome to tell me what a [DELETED] I am and how I should keep my nose out of your business.

So far as I can tell, you're a relatively nice guy with a sarcastic streak whose sound-bites make me amused. But, yeah, you really should keep your nose out of people's business (especially those you don't really know except for on the internet).

The inability to measure something beyond it's capability is not a flaw. A sonar is not flawed because it can't pick up TV signals. All we pointed out was the fact that the device's inability to detect brain activity does not prove that no brain activity existed.

I guess it's a matter of semantics to me. I wasn't saying that the instrument is flawed, but rather that the methodology of measurement is flawed if it is not adequately measuring something that is actually there. We need the new and improved brain wave reader if there are brain waves we can't read. But it's really quibbling over inconsequential details, don't you think?

I'm not trying to turn this into a personal attack. But this is after all a forum on faith and spiritual practice. And Buddhism (my faith) in particular is about closely examining our thoughts, emotions, perceptions and motivations in order to see what is wholesome and needs to be nurtured and what is unwholesome and needs to be throw out.

Well, it is rather an odd spot in the forum for you to talk about these subjects, and it is being done in a rather personal manner, don't you think? But in terms of the principles, I agree- it's rather common sense to me. Now, how to do this is another question, and far more interesting... I've found Buddhism pretty helpful as well in that regard.

In Buddhism there is no savior, nobody responsible for our progress, nobody who will grant us enlightenment other than our own self. The investigation into my mind and motivations has long been and rewarding endeavor and I urge you to continue the pursuit in your life. I know you will.

Peace.

I agree- at the bare minimum, investigating one's mind and motivations is a way to fill time in an entertaining manner. No matter where one is at- on the freeway, in line at a store, in the hell we call the DMV- even if devoid of a magazine or pen and pad on which to doodle, one always has one's own mind. That, and society at large. Two great gifts to stave off boredom. :)

Of course I'm slippery. I'm a Pisces and have all the standard Pisces traits. Smelly, slippery and prone to get stuck in the throat if not meticulously carved up ;)

I'm on the border of Sagittarius and Capricorn. I have no idea what that means as I know virtually nothing about astrology. Goes to look it up...

Apparently, it means I am:

Optimistic and freedom-loving
Jovial and good-humored
Honest and straightforward
Intellectual and philosophical

On the dark side....

[SIZE=-1]Blindly optimistic and careless[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Irresponsible and superficial[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Tactless and restless[/SIZE]

AND

Practical and prudent
Ambitious and disciplined
Patient and careful
Humorous and reserved

On the dark side....

[SIZE=-1]Pessimistic and fatalistic[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Miserly and grudging[/SIZE]

LOL- sounds about right. I am moody and flip-flop between pessimism and optimism, which anyone keen in observing me (even here) would probably notice. Though I try to remain offline when I am pessimistic. I try to be tactful, but I'm afraid I tend to allow myself to be restless with wild abandon. :)

I do have positivistic tendencies and am refusing medication for it. But I do not ascribe to any school... I just make it up as I go along... could you not tell? :D

That's OK. I'll give you a little more insight into myself by saying that I have tendencies toward the magical... in part because it's just plain more fun to live in an enchanted world. I also refuse medication for it. :D While I'm rather analytical and type A (OK, type A to a serious fault) as a researcher... as an individual I just love living in an enchanted world. I like my world to be filled with odd experiences and I revel more in possibility than in probability. Maybe it's a balance thing for me... I have to be so rational and analytical for work, and I am good at it (so I've been told) but my heart/soul/whatever you want to call it is in love with newness, mystery, and potential. It makes life too much fun... which is (I suppose) how I avoid both atheism and religious doctrine. I like the space in between. It's exciting and interesting there. :)

As for NDE... I'm with Brian. I think most religious leaders would loathe the idea of an afterlife that is similar for everyone, despite religious differences, and has little to nothing to do with what is doctrinally sound. Nothing would rid the world of religious powers faster than scientifically proven existence of the same afterlife for everyone, regardless of creed. After all, one of the biggest drives behind religion today is human fear of death. Most people want assurance (or is it insurance? LOL) and that is why they have a religion.

Thanks for the long-distance psychoanalysis of my relationship and my self-image. Now if you could just divine my future and perhaps prescribe a course of herbs and crystals to balance my chakras, I'd have something to work with. LOL :rolleyes:

Before we became habituated to movies, videos, telephones, automobiles and airplanes, people corresponded primarily by letters. With these written words they revealed their innermost feelings, fell in and out of love, nurtured friendships and created enemies... with just words.

What you and Earl would like to call "psychoanalysis" was nothing more than reading the meaning behind, between and directly in the words you wrote. While I empathize with your desire to believe that we don't reveal more than we intend with these words, it is pretty evident for those who care to look.

What I normally see in your words is intelligence, honesty, consideration, inquisitiveness, wisdom and compassion. But in this thread I saw a willful desire to debate against an argument neither Tao nor I was making. It was my mistake in crossing over the line into the personal realm, just as it is probably my mistake to continue with this line of discussion.

But for what it's worth, the small amount of disagreement I have with you is easily overshadowed by my respect for your views. That is the last I will say on this subject. I do look forward to less personal discussions in the future.

That is a very skewed view of science.
It's not skewed. Analysis of publication trends confirms the pattern.
.... in a study earlier this year found that among the studies submitted to America’s Food and Drug Administration about the effectiveness of antidepressants, almost all of those with positive results were published, whereas very few of those with negative results were.
Scientific journals: Publish and be wrong | The Economist

I don't think I'm overstating the case. In connection with US drug safety studies, one researcher observed :
Regardless of the cause, publication bias harms the public good by impairing the ability of clinicians and patients to make informed clinical decisions, and the ability of scientists to design safer and more efficient trials based on past findings. Publication bias can thus be considered a form of scientific misconduct."
More than half of US drug safety studies never see the light of day | Science | guardian.co.uk

When the studies are funded by drug companies and the results are negative, they wont even submit a manuscript for review. It goes into someone file cabinet. You'll never hear about it. As it is, most clinical trails research for on cancer patients get published. This is also true for stroke research.

Since it is not readily available, it's hard to assess what went wrong with studies that don't get published. However, an actual study of publication patterns can shed some light on it. Consider Dr. David Liebeskind at the UCLA Stroke Center in Los Angeles, who looked at
182 published and unpublished acute ischemic stroke clinical trials conducted from 1955 to 1999. They found that three out of the four studies not published (75 percent) had produced negative or harmful results, while 94 percent of the published studies had produced positive results.
https://healthlibrary.epnet.com/Get...b-d245-44f2-a90e-20b047f84a6a&chunkiid=155360

It appears that the publication bias problem has been widely documented research with regard to human subjects research. The bias appears to be systematic. And it makes sense. Find me a scientific fraud case where the investigator made up negative results. Find me a grant application where the investigator cites all his/her negative findings as a reason to be funded.

Oh Por Favor, CZ and poo, would you two please get a cyber chat room.:D

Perhaps you'd like to steer this soap opera back to the originally scheduled program.

Janz, what are your thoughts on the subject?

Science develops pet theories which are reflected in publishing trends. Since no one is interested in negative findings, only support for the pet theories has visibility. This leads to a very skewed "scientific" world view.

Netti-Netti, I was responding to the absolutes you incorrectly inserted twice in your post.

Instead of saying "it is difficult to generate interest" (or something along those lines) you chose to say, "no one is interested".

That is a skewed point of view.

Instead of saying "support for the pet theories have greater visibility" (or something along those lines) you chose to say, "only support for the pet theories has visibility."

That is also a skewed point of view.

I agree with that. Yet these counter-productive trends in science are the failings of scientists, and for a variety of reasons. They do not impact on the question of what science itself is.
The distinction is practically moot. Science as a business is the dominant form it has taken and it has surprisingly little to do with scientific truth as an ideal, as a goal, or as guiding principle.

Instead of saying "support for the pet theories have greater visibility" (or something along those lines) you chose to say, "only support for the pet theories has visibility."

That is also a skewed point of view.
No, it is merely a sloppy way of making a point.

Right now I am having an out of body experience due to mind altering drinks and mushrooms so I am NOT in a state to answer; but secretly I love Science Geeks..I mean Mr. Spock was a hottie and his rational approach to life made me swoon but the western science paradigm leaves me wanting more. So I married a Physics Major who fell in love with the Tao of Physics..he is very metaphysical but his mind is a steel trap..he writes computer software for those communication satellites that orbit our earth. I really stand behind Path of One and my dear friend Lunamoth..I really admire women who can work as a scientist. I think their wisdom speaks volumes.
I like philosophy but just to think about not to discuss but I have had a DNE and I came back a stronger believer in the other side and it is all goood.

OK that is all for now folks.:p

Well, I certainly won't disagree with that! :p

Tidy up those points and we'll have an easier time finding agreement.
Sorry, I thought your response was to my attitude rather than to the hyperbole. I had looked forward to add a few more pages of fluff to this thread with linguistic repartee focused on sorting this out.

BTw, why is agreement of interest? It's the end of the exchange, isn't it?

OK that is all for now folks.:p
There's still hope for this thread. It could still become one of those that was 98% off topic before it receded into the Nirvana of forgotten discussion that didn't answer any questions even though it included over a thousand posts. :eek:

Right now I am having an out of body experience due to mind altering drinks and mushrooms so I am NOT in a state to answer; but secretly I love Science Geeks..I mean Mr. Spock was a hottie and his rational approach to life made me swoon but the western science paradigm leaves me wanting more.

Jeeze! You are under the influence.

Get some sleep before you do something you'll regret later.

Back