What is your favorite Iced Cream flavor?

Before I was diagnosed with both diabetes and a cardiac condition, I tried an interesting Italian gelato, gelato alla crema.

It tastes like vanilla, but there's no vanilla in it! Just milk, cream, sugar, salt (just a pinch!) and egg yolks.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Umm I still love butter pecan and root beer floats.. I did try a gree tea ice cream made by Halo Top it was decent!

Before I was diagnosed with both diabetes and a cardiac condition, I tried an interesting Italian gelato, gelato alla crema.

It tastes like vanilla, but there's no vanilla in it! Just milk, cream, sugar, salt (just a pinch!) and egg yolks.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
Weird.. wonder how it got the vanilla flavor?

Weird.. wonder how it got the vanilla flavor?
I don't know, but here's the "receipt" (from Chef John on Food Wishes[dot]com):
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 10 mins Additional Time: 12 hrs 20 mins Total Time: 12 hrs 40 mins Yield: 3 1/2 cups
Ingredients
2 cups whole milk
⅔ cup white sugar
1 tablespoon white sugar
5 egg yolks
1 cup heavy cream
⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
Directions
Step 1 Pour milk into a saucepan. Add 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar and egg yolks. Whisk thoroughly. Cook over medium heat, stirring gently with a spatula, until custard is steaming-hot and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and salt and remove from heat.
Step 2 Pour custard through a fine mesh strainer and refrigerate until completely chilled, 8 hours to overnight. Step 3 Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's instructions, about 20 minutes. Seal top with plastic wrap, cover with a lid, and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours
Nutrition Facts Per serving:
277 calories;
total fat 18g;
saturated fat 10g;
cholesterol 200mg;
sodium 81mg;
total carbohydrate 25g;
total sugars 24g;
protein 5g;

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Mint chocolate chip.
Dark chocolate,
Vanilla soft serve
Peanut butter soft serve
Pistachio soft serve
And..."bunny tracks" which is a flavor of Blue Bunny ice cream, vanilla with caramel and peanut butter streaks, plus caramel filled chocolate bits in it. And I think chocolate covered peanuts too...

Well, I ain't American but I hall enjoy one of these today

1688296781140.jpeg

I need to have more ice cream this summer! I've been ending up with other desserts when I go places -- and I've also tried to be more careful about how much sugar I consume. But... I have an ice cream place in walking distance to where I now live, and there is also a soft serve place in the other direction that is not a far drive at all. I must get more ice cream before summer ends!

I need to have more ice cream this summer! I've been ending up with other desserts when I go places -- and I've also tried to be more careful about how much sugar I consume. But... I have an ice cream place in walking distance to where I now live, and there is also a soft serve place in the other direction that is not a far drive at all. I must get more ice cream before summer ends!
I believe one brand of ice cream has a line of frozen desserts that are reduced carbs (I haven't tried them yet, so I don't know how they taste.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Back