What's your favorite movie?

Anything by the holy trinity of the Italianos. Pier Paolo Pasolini, Franco Zeffirelli, Sergio Leone.

Un Chien Andalou by Bunuel is the be all and end all. Some people think its tacky after so many years, but those people are idiots.

Meshes of the Afternoon is good too. I have a short attention span. Love short movies.

the five deadly venoms- SB
the boondock saints
fight club
36 chamber of shaolin
die hard
half baked

amitabha ;)

Can't pick a favorite, but I loved Contact. Also Raising Arizona. I wish there were more Lord of the Rings to be made--they were all great and just about the only movies with extended battle scenes that I found interesting enough not to get up and go to the bathroom. Have to admit I also am a Matrix fan!

And why did they ever have to stop making Star Trek TNG (TV) episodes :( .

A Fish Called Wanda - top of the list, just an all-around good time

The Matrix (only the first one - can't abide the other two :( )
The Witches of Eastwick (read the book finally just recently, very different than the movie but I loved it)
The Fisher King (A very different Robin Williams)
Excalibur (Oh I love it when Morgana, in response to Merlin's warning that the knowledge she seeks may burn and destroy her, says "then burn me!" She is evil, but one of my favorite female characters, and the only strong female character in this movie, unfortunately)
All The Lord of the Rings (Mainly because this was my all-time favorite book series since I was 10 and I loved seeing it brought to life, of course, as a die-hard Tolkien fan, I have issues with the movie)
French Kiss & Sleepless in Seattle (lumped together as my favorite mindless romantic films)
Ghostbusters (pure silliness, and I love Bill Murray - there's another movie he was in that I really liked, a remake I think, called The Razor's Edge)
Fiddler on the Roof & Paint Your Wagon (Favorite musicals)
Labyrinth (for the perpetual kid in me)
Planet of the Apes, any version (the apes win - YAY!!! :D )

I do love the Monty Python films, of course. And my favorite is, I have to say, Life of Brian. :) I read somewhere, I think on a Python forum, that those not very familiar with MP, when asked for their favorite MP movie, will always choose Holy Grail, but serious MP fans will usually favor Life of Brian. ;)

gang bus - the movie

if that counts ) if not; how ever it became a populist thing, i still thought fight club was "cool". from kubrick clockwork orange, in which age do you think the setting was? shining was kinda scary.
errrrm not much actually. into books more then movies.

The Village is real good, 1st and 3rd Matrix sometimes are great.... Ghandi, LOTR, Contact, of course Star Wars, some of the Star Trek movies (Khan, Whales), Amadeus, ET....

o yeah, the Monty Python movies....

Last edited:
GERRY the movie!!

THAT WAS THE BEST SHOCKING MOVIE EVER..

i didnt myself wrote this review, but couldnt explain it better, well maybe i could though i had to work hard on it ), hoping you to watch the movie ASAP ))
best regards,
PNGrata

"Is this... wait... Is this the way we came?"
===========================

This is, without a shadow of a doubt, one of the strangest cinematic experiences I, or anyone else, will ever have. 'Gerry' is is one of the most relentlessly gutsy and stubbornly poetic films ever made. The film abandons all preconceived notions of dramatic arc or narrative storytelling in favor of a hypnotic and mesmerizing meditation on the nature of human life and all of its complexities & simplicities. 'Gerry' is simultaneously the deepest and the shallowest film I have ever seen. To coin a term from 'Seinfeld'... "It is a mystery wrapped in an enigma." Or perhaps, like Newman, "It is a mystery wrapped in a Twinkie."

The film opens with a hauntingly beautiful piece of music by Arvo Part, called 'Spiegel im Spiegel' (Also heard in 2002's masterpiece film 'Heaven' by Tom Tykwer), as a car winds its way along a desert road. The car's two occupants are Gerry (Matt Damon) and Gerry (Casey Affleck). This scene may seem interminable to the impatient and those unwilling to explore beyond the latest blockbuster release at the multiplexes, but let me warn you now... it isn't even close to being the longest single take or shot in this obstinately masterful film.

The two Gerry's pull off the road and get out of the car. And then they walk. They are looking for this 'thing', which is never revealed to us, and they get lost. That's it! That's the list! They walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk -- and occasionally they talk about something. They have sporadic chats about 'Wheel of Fortune' contestants, a video game, the direction they are going in, and about following animal tracks to the nearest watering hole. But they are totally and utterly lost.

Along the way, there are some truly funny moments, some heartbreaking ones, and some very bizarre sequences. One memorable scene has one of the Gerry's 'rock marooned'. He has climbed on top of a huge rock and found that he has no safe way back down. The other Gerry builds him a 'dirt mattress' to break his fall. It is such a mind-blowingly bizarre predicament that it makes you giggle almost incessantly.

There are many such moments, where you realize the absolute futility of the search. These guys are totally screwed in every way and they know it. All they can think of is how insane a way this is to end your life. But sometimes, in situations like that, the natural human response is to laugh.

I understand that many will hate this film, scratching their heads in utter disbelief that they took the time to watch it. Some will quit before they get to the half-way point. I think this film will appeal to those who love films like 'Aguirre: The Wrath of God', 'Magnolia', 'Solaris', 'Mulholland Drive', 'Vanilla Sky', Eyes Wide Shut', 'Leaving Las Vegas', plays like 'Waiting for Godot', and books by Franz Kafka, Albert Camus and Jean Paul Sartre. This is more of an existentialist rumination than it is a traditional story... this film demands thought and contemplation on the part of the viewer. 'Gerry' poses a lot of questions, but it asks us to provide the answers.

I think this film magnificently deals with the importance of memories and the natural fading of those treasured moments with the passing of time. This film is a representation of the undeniable human tendency to persevere through seemingly insurmountable odds. It is about finding a direction in life, which may lead to another and then another and then another. This film is a metaphor for man's journey through life's wide open maze, filled with infinite possibilities. The film lingers on sad thoughts too... the notion of wasted lives, without direction, without friends, without compassion. The film delivers a message that we can't always get through life alone... that in our darkest hour, we may need someone to build us a ' dirt mattress'. It's funny 'cause it's true.

It is not for everyone, but I truly loved this film from Gus Van Sant. It will easily make my year-end Top Ten List, and will contend for a spot in my All Time Greats list. 'Gerry' was thought-provoking, heart-breaking, hilarious, sad, deep, shallow, haunting, beautiful, elegant, harsh, truthful, relentless, powerful and moving. It is a philosophical masterpiece wrapped in a cinematic Twinkie

Re: GERRY the movie!!

The Gerry sounds like some kind of a film re-interpretation of Waiting for Godot, or Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. :)

Re: GERRY the movie!!

I said:
The Gerry sounds like some kind of a film re-interpretation of Waiting for Godot, or Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. :)
b.e. ellis vs j.d. salinger

some more reviews...

This is the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. The trailer is the entire movie. The other 99 1/2 minutes are Matt and Casey walking....

Horrible, looks as if this film cost $50 to make and about 2 days to film. Only 2 "actors" with speaking parts. Just "artsy" slop...

This movie sucked! Can't believe Matt Damon would act in something this bad. I'd rather watch Michael Jackson get another nose job

God help me, I watched the whole movie. I fast forwarded it through the parts where they were just walking, or it was just showing scenery, nothing spectacular there either

Barreying down the road.*

The movie was like a Ford Festiva with a $50,000 paint job. I kept waiting for aliens to suck the wandering duo up into their spaceship, but it never happened. I'm sorry that I too was not born an intellectual, for maybe this movie would have been an awakening for my soul; instead it was just an awakening for my colon.

I love the Movie "Andei Roublev" by Andrei Tarkovsky.

I love "The Matrix". I liked "The Matrix Reloaded". "Matrix Revolution" was okay.

The LOTR movies were fair to marginally bad, but I've been reading Tolkein since the sixties.

The HBO movie "Angels in America" I give it 5 stars out of 5.

As a child I was addicted to the movie "The Egyptian" For q while after I saw it I dress up in Egyptian drag with towels on my head and around my middle. Around that time my turtle died and I embalmed it for 70 days in Aqua Velva and wrapped it like a mummy. Just like in the movie.

spiritman51 said:
Around that time my turtle died and I embalmed it for 70 days in Aqua Velva and wrapped it like a mummy. Just like in the movie.

whoah, there. did the process work, at least?

ISFP said:
whoah, there. did the process work, at least?
Here is the truth: I also constructed an in ground tomb for my mummy turtle( cigar box) and filled it with all the little turtle stuff( except the bowl). And burried it in the back yard. My parents sold that house and we moved so I'm not sure what happened.

spiritman51 said:
Here is the truth: I also constructed an in ground tomb for my mummy turtle( cigar box) and filled it with all the little turtle stuff( except the bowl). And burried it in the back yard. My parents sold that house and we moved so I'm not sure what happened.

i'm not sure whether to find that endearing, clever, or alarming. at any rate, it'd be cool to know if the turtle tomb is still there. :D

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.
the Name of the Rose
Pirates of the Carribean
Minority Report
A.I.
Office Space
Jumping Jack Flash
Brotherhood of the Wolf

There's more but I don't want to go on and on :p

Seems I forgot to mention "Something Wicked This Way Comes", with the late Jason Robards and the first time I saw Jonathan Price (by far the best role I have seen him in). A truly excellent movie for this time of year!

Back