Making sense of karma.

The Undecided

Reaction score
I am having trouble reconciling my understanding of karma with the horrible things that happen to people, children especially. Taking the recent natural disaster in Haiti as an example. Is this a natural occurrence because the earth's crust was being true to it's own nature and the earthquake was the result, or did it happen to the people of Haiti because it was a result of their collective karma? My side of reason tells me that karma makes sense as a universal law, but my emotional side tells me that this not fair. Perhaps this is because I have grown up around Western ideas and the idea of having only one life is so prominent, which won't allow the idea of reincarnation to be accepted. If a child suffers karma tells us that this is because they caused the suffering of another in a previous life. Logically this is a fair system, because all are accountable for their actions. Yet I am having trouble committing to belief in it. All opinions welcome.:D

TU,

I believe that all of us have a large amount of bad karma we must burn off sooner or later. Sadly, those children were forced to burn off a lot of it at one time. They may still have tiny traces of bad karma to burn off in their next lifetimes, who knows?

"...did it happen to the people of Haiti because it was a result of their collective karma?"

--> I am afraid they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. But I believe they all had bad karma ready to burn off, so there was no unfairness. I see it as an indirect rather than direct "cause" from their karma.

On the other side of the coin, karma gives us the promise of fairness. No one will be forced to suffer through any more bad karma than they have already created. That is fair, and much fairer than any other system I have heard of.

"...but my emotional side tells me that this not fair. Perhaps this is because I have grown up around Western ideas and the idea of having only one life is so prominent, which won't allow the idea of reincarnation to be accepted."

--> That is a good explanation why your aversion is an emotional one. Deep inside, you do not accept the idea of reincarnation and karma, which clearly makes the childrens' deaths seem unfair to you. Should you accept the ideas of reincarnation and karma in the future, you will find it easier to accept the fairness of such deaths.

"Yet I am having trouble committing to belief in it."

--> You are having an emotional vs. intellectual battle going on inside of you right now. May the good side win.

We observe cause and effect in the world, and that as children we are rewarded for good deeds, and punished for bad - so extrapolating this you end up with a "karma"-like system where bad experiences on the apparently innocent must be explained.

But personally I think it's badly flawed - it tries to comfort without explaining anything.

While I'm sympathetic by the comfort that karma as understood in the West can convey, I think it's badly flawed.

Was the existing economic poverty in Haiti due to karma? What about buildings constructed without any view to earthquake regulations? Were the hurricanes that previously batter the island karma-powered?

Or is it the case that we control our own actions, and sometimes no matter what we do, we will suffer because life is by nature powered by a numbers game that will see some people benefit more than others, some suffer more than others, all in different ways?

I think it's important for humanity to realise we can control what happens to ourselves as much as possible, and even more so - turn the worst of the world against itself.

I'm always reminded of a story I saw a few years back about how some Hindu men would throw acid in the faces of women who refused their proposals, in order to scar them for life and make them unacceptable to anyone else.

A western interpretation of karma might say such women were being punished for their evil deeds in past lives - effectively exonerating the men.

What one of these women did is create a big publicity campaign to highlight the issue as a problem in rural India, and force local police to take the issue seriously and prosecute when reported, thus making other spurned men realise they could not get away with even considering such actions without consequences.

A western view on karma might have expected that woman to sit down and just accept the situation - she turned it against itself to the advantage of many more.

**** happens in life - we can accept it, or else we can fight it. If we accept it, we leave the Haitian's to dig themselves out from the rubble and rebuild all by themselves. If we fight it, we put rescuers on the scene as quickly as possible, bring aid and aid workers in, and try and rebuild so as to minimise chances of such another earthquake having such a catastrophic effect again.

San Francisco remains famously situated upon a major fault line. If there is a major eruption tomorrow and people die, do we say all those who died were just suffering bad karma? If only people with good karma move to San Francisco does this mean no one could die in an earthquake there? Or does it all simply mean that living on an earthquake fault is not a good idea, and those who do so much take extra precautions to try and limit the dangers of suffering from the impact of a quake, but must also accept that remaining offers increased risk of suffering regardless of the precautions?

Sometimes I get so frustrated with the "karma" line - it's like telling people we can't do anything about bad things, when humans have spent thousands of years precisely trying to overcome these.

2c.

we have a principle that ha-'olam noheg keminhagho - "the universe functions according to its accustomed course" - which is another way of saying "don't step off the roof - gravity will, barring a miracle, continue to work as anticipated". tectonic plates are no different, neither are other features of the natural world. it is possible, of course, that someone is being punished somewhere - but, again, according to our tradition, "that's jest how things be" - on some level, this is necessary for the functioning of the universe - and, more to the point, we'll never really understand how that works - but that's no reason to treat it as somehow deserved, or to wash our hands of responsibility - it should always be a wake-up call to do right; in this case, to help the poor people in haiti. are we stepping up to the mark in this? that is the question. it's in the book of job - "where were you when I was Creating the universe? do you know how this stuff works? I don't Think so." it's the same answer G!D Gave to moses when he wanted to know why r. akiva suffered such a terrible, undeserved martyrdom - "if you bug Me about this any more, I'll have to Reboot the universe" (BT menachoth 29b).

b'shalom

bananabrain

Following from Bananabrain ... if I may ...

Bad things don't happen to people because they reject Christ, and good things don't happen to people because they embrace Him — that's not the message.

The message is "I am with you" in the good and in the bad, and that's what the Boss expects of us, too:
"Come, ye blessed of my Father, possess you the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry, and you gave me to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me to drink; I was a stranger, and you took me in: Naked, and you covered me: sick, and you visited me: I was in prison, and you came to me." (Matt 25:35-36)
The point is not why or what anyone did to end up hungry, thirsty, sick, outcast, naked or in prison ... it's what am I going to do about it?

Thomas

I am having trouble reconciling my understanding of karma with the horrible things that happen to people, children especially. Taking the recent natural disaster in Haiti as an example. Is this a natural occurrence because the earth's crust was being true to it's own nature and the earthquake was the result, or did it happen to the people of Haiti because it was a result of their collective karma? My side of reason tells me that karma makes sense as a universal law, but my emotional side tells me that this not fair. Perhaps this is because I have grown up around Western ideas and the idea of having only one life is so prominent, which won't allow the idea of reincarnation to be accepted. If a child suffers karma tells us that this is because they caused the suffering of another in a previous life. Logically this is a fair system, because all are accountable for their actions. Yet I am having trouble committing to belief in it. All opinions welcome.:D

Hello Undecided,

Thank you for this post. I love talking about Karma. :)

I understand where your coming from, the things we cannot see or touch is sometimes hard to believe, but that's what's so fantastic about faith!

Having faith is a concept beyond our limited minds comprehension. To have faith is to know that everything happens for a reason, for the best, according to the Big picture.

Our minds and lives here is very limited, we only witness about 1% of true reality...the other 99% is the spiritual dimension and is hiden from us. So for us to understand why bad things happen to good people is far from plain ol' human understanding.

As long as you have faith in a higher power who loves us unconditionally, then there is no reason for dispair. Suffering and death is not the end all of life, but a mere illusion whos purpose it is to cleanse our soul of past misdeads, both individually and collectively - so we can once again experience our pure and natural state of being.

Karma is just a fancy word for cause and effect, which is unavoidable in the physical dimension. If we drop a book (cause), it's effect will be to hit the floor.

Our collective Karma sure does play a significant role in the happenings of our lives here on earth. What we all believe and act out as a society, effects our entire society. We are all in the same boat so to speak. If I were to drill a hole in the bottom of that boat, we all going to sink with it, no matter if you are a good or bad person, we are all going to drown.

I believe, as Kabbalah teaches, that before we are born into the physical world, we actually choose our lives, right down to our parents and the communities we live. We choose the best possible place and circumstances that will bring us to our ultimate goal of cleansing our soul, removing any past misdeeds, so we can become whole and completely fulfilled once again.

Some souls have chosen to be in certain situations that will help raise the consciousness of the entire world, to teach everyone to work together, to have more compassion for others, to help us change for the better on a global level.

Not believing in reincarnation would certainly make it harder to grasp the concept of our souls evolution.

Anything of value in this life is too complex, yet too simple, to be understood by our limiting human minds. We only need faith to accept things as they happen with no inner resistance or disbelief.

Faith is the key; accept the fact that we don't yet know all the answers, but God does. Know that He loves all unconditionally and only does what needs to be done for the quickest possible outcome of the inevitable.

The truest truth will remain true, no matter what we choose to believe as truth.

Thanks for reading :)
Find Joy in Your Blessings

Hello all.

Freedomblogger, your voice is refreshing, your faith sounds genuine to me.

A couple things to say about Haiti and karma. Collective karma is an interesting idea. To make any sense it seems to me all beings would have to be connected to the same tangled web of karma. From this view disasters in one place could be seen as karmically caused by the sins of other lands.

Also. It seems to me the state of mind when dying is the weight put on the scales of karmic justice (if that makes any sense). What I mean to say is perhaps many of those people who died were already in a good place spiritually (as I'm sure many of them were) or else got right with God, so to speak.

Thank You Sancho :)

and I agree - seems everything has to do with our state of mind and perfect balance.

cool!

Brian,

You said,

"I'm always reminded of a story I saw a few years back about how some Hindu men would throw acid in the faces of women who refused their proposals, in order to scar them for life and make them unacceptable to anyone else. A western interpretation of karma might say such women were being punished for their evil deeds in past lives - effectively exonerating the men."

--> That is a valid point. My answer is, if anyone suddenly suffers an accident that was not caused by bad karma (and such things do happen), then their karma is automatically adjusted, an equal amount of other "bad karma" is "forgiven," bringing a person's total amount of karma to a fair and equal balance.

In your example, the women who were scheduled to burn off bad karma by such an incident did just that. For any women who were not scheduled to be part of such an incident and were accidentally burned by acid, they immediately had the balance of their bad karma readjusted to a fair level. As for the men, no, they are not exonerated for anything, they must now burn off the new bad karma they have now created. In my belief system, it goes without question that these men could very well be women and suffer the exact acid-burning fate in a future life.

That's fair, and that is what I like about the idea of karma.

B
--> That is a valid point. My answer is, if anyone suddenly suffers an accident that was not caused by bad karma (and such things do happen), then their karma is automatically adjusted, an equal amount of other "bad karma" is "forgiven," bringing a person's total amount of karma to a fair and equal balance.

In your example, the women who were scheduled to burn off bad karma by such an incident did just that. For any women who were not scheduled to be part of such an incident and were accidentally burned by acid, they immediately had the balance of their bad karma readjusted to a fair level. As for the men, no, they are not exonerated for anything, they must now burn off the new bad karma they have now created. In my belief system, it goes without question that these men could very well be women and suffer the exact acid-burning fate in a future life.

That's fair, and that is what I like about the idea of karma.

I wouldn't consider that very fair at all - the scarred women must go through this life suffering physically and mentally from this, with the only hope being that in some distant reincarnation there is something to make up for this.

I would say do something in this life, as in the example - why prolong a culture of acid-throwing in the hope the men would be incarnated as similarly afflicted women? Isn't it better that one of the women stood up to try and stamp out the practice?

The view of Karma being suggested (which I suspect may not be representative of the Eastern version) is that it's another interpretation of heaven/hell - where punishments and rewards are delivered after death.

But what if there are no punishments or rewards? What if there is only heaven? What is reincarnation has little to do with previous lifetimes?

And why is it so many people remain fixated on absolving ourselves of action in this lifetime, and instead denigrating action by proxy to divine forces we must have faith in?

If someone fails to feed their children, can they really say that they expected God to feed them, or that the children had bad karma? Of course not - we would see the inherent wrong in this.

Yet in invoking karma and similar we are effectively denying freewill to any degree, and instead putting the blame on cosmic forces we have no control over.

In which case, there can be no such thing as "bad" or "good" karma because it is all divinely ordained in the first place, if that is what is accepted!

I know myself and many others have a sense of "natural justice" - I'm not sure whether it is an objective force or simply a psychological one that drives us apes to build justice systems. Even these usually expect consequences to have an impact in this lifetime - you reap what you sow.

The difference with divine judgement (whether of God, heaven/hell, or karma) is that this justice is removed to an unseen plane after death - perhaps for the fact that we do not always see justice in our lives - and the victim is given no sympathy - because they always had it coming to them! As Dogbrain points out, the focus remains on blaming the victim, not the perpetrator!

But that does not mean to say we cannot take affirmative and positive action now in this lifetime to try and prevent the same mistakes of man and nature from being repeated.

A big glaring issue with all this dialogue is that we are seeking to determine the mechanics of this using the faculties which are bound in this dimension.

Supposing one believes in a soul/spirit and reincarnation in the first place, one then seeks to understand how that works using the understanding they have accumulated from existing in this realm, yet the criteria for such things may have no actual relevance to anything we have the ability to relate to.

All of us (to one degree or another) suffer from the same malady which is that we are individuals who do not really have an intimate connection with God or our higher selves or anything of that sort, even with each other.

I hear lots of theories as to "how it works" yet nobody really knows the answer to the simplest of questions:
What are you and why are you here?
or : Why do you exist?

Simple questions, yet they are unanswered in that no one can prove that their answer is the actual right answer.

So if we cannot get the first question established, how do we think we are going to be even a little close to the mark on all subsequent questions which depend on the first.

Notwithstanding anybodies personal prejudices and sentiments,
stuck in the realm of speculation and personal opinion we yet remain.

I said:
I wouldn't consider that very fair at all - the scarred women must go through this life suffering physically and mentally from this, with the only hope being that in some distant reincarnation there is something to make up for this.
Not fair from our mortal, human perspective ... but then, we sometimes have a hard time accepting the role that suffering plays for all who are incarnate here. It is no accident that people suffer in the three worlds of human endeavor on this planet (and especially here), and this is a point which is difficult to reconcile with the tenets of monotheism.

Also, who said anything about "distant?" What are a thousand years, when the Soul will likely incarnate through thousands upon thousands of such incarnations, strung like beads upon a necklace worn by the true Self? It is a matter of perspective, isn't it.

I said:
why prolong a culture of acid-throwing in the hope the men would be incarnated as similarly afflicted women? Isn't it better that one of the women stood up to try and stamp out the practice?
Of course it would be better. But I don't think Nick's arguing that point. In disagreement with shawn, I think he's just suggesting that we do know the modus operandi when it comes to the Law of Karma. We may not have ALL the answers, but we can at least explain why `bad' things happen to `good' (read, innocent) people. Monotheists especially may wonder, Why does it have to be like this? And it takes considerable study and investigation ... and patience, to answer that question satisfactorily.

I said:
The view of Karma being suggested ... is that it's another interpretation of heaven/hell - where punishments and rewards are delivered after death.
Not in my book. I don't mean to keep putting words into Nick's mouth, but I would guess he's just trying to reach a common denominator here. I would expect that he no more believes in a personal, monotheistic god sitting up there dolling out punishments and rewards than I believe in the Easter Bunny. Rather, he is sort of colloquializing, or expressing in terms that ARE familiar to monotheists, how our `good' and `bad' actions/motivations are met with - according to the Law of Karma. N'est pas, Nick?

I said:
But what if there are no punishments or rewards? What if there is only heaven? What is reincarnation has little to do with previous lifetimes?
Big what-ifs, but this reflects neither the Eastern view, nor the view as Theosophy and the Ageless Wisdom have sought to clarify things.

I would be the first to agree that in fact, ALL THERE IS is Heaven ... with various degrees of expression, manifestation, or EMANATION - all relative to the originating Godhead (call this the Absolute IN manifestation or Incarnation, vs. the Unknowable, ultimate ABSOLUTE). The mantram Baba Nam Kevalam points us in this general direction (Love is the essence of all things!).

But the way we experience life is not representative of the GREATEST or Highest of which we are capable. Human potential, as expressed in every Scripture of every religion that you can name, is always a good bit beyond what it is that we have yet experienced and actualized - speaking individually or collectively. Witness: Greater things than this, YE shall do ... and see Ephesians 4:13 for St. Paul's take on this idea.

Thus, we must be willing to come to terms with what our incarnation is like ... upon THIS planet, at THIS time in human history, while also considering in what ways this reflects or parallels the conditions of evolution upon ANY and EVERY planet in Cosmos (going through a similar stage) - and not disregarding those important ways in which we are, unquestionably, unique!

Hints regarding these subtle points are found scattered throughout the exoteric religious teachings, although the proper Keys for unlocking and understanding some of the Mysteries will certainly be found only upon a deeper and more thorough investigation. And I think plenty of folks are engaged in that Search, well on the Way as we continue the Journey together ... :)

I said:
And why is it so many people remain fixated on absolving ourselves of action in this lifetime
I would suggest that this is largely because, as one Master has put it, the teaching of Karma in the East has had a soporific effect, rather than a healthier, more motivating one.

Consider: H.P. Blavatsky expressed it like this, in the book of stanzas translated as The Voice of the Silence:
Sow kindly acts and thou shalt reap their fruition. Inaction in a deed of mercy becomes an action in a deadly sin.

Thus saith the Sage.

Shalt thou abstain from action? Not so shall gain thy soul her freedom.
To reach Nirvana one must reach Self-Knowledge, and Self-Knowledge is of loving DEEDS the child.

All emphasis is mine, of course, but note how clearly the instruction is given that we must ACT in order to clear the slate, IF that is what we have in mind regarding this matter. Wiping that slate clean, however, is NOT the true reason why so much information has been given out regarding the workings of the Law of Karma. This is not the correct motivation, because it is not the most NOBLE (and selfless, or charitable) motivation.

When we seek to serve others, our Karma will be rapidly cleared automatically. The Teachers assist us with this - and at great cost and sacrifice to themselves - for at various stages they literally take upon themselves a portion of the burden of our own, individual, group and collective karma ... and this They do because they know what assistance we shall be able to provide to Humanity (and the Plan) as a result.

That result is not immediate. It may be years, or lifetimes, in the making. The Master R. clarifies in teachings during the 50s and 60s (of the 20th Century) that his own group was prepared to render a service to the Plan some 10,000 years ago and more.

Unfortunately, Group and World circumstances would not - or did not - allow His group to complete the work that they were otherwise PREPARED to do, and the service which they sought to render is only NOW being delivered to a needy Humanity.

If this does not illustrate the Surpreme, DIVINE PATIENCE which every Master within the Hierarchy displays ... and also the Great, UNCONDITIONAL LOVE which every Member has for Humanity (and for every single Human Unit) ... then I don't know what does.

Best of all, it provides us some insight into the workings of the Law of Karma. Just because an opportunity is missed, this does not mean that the Divine Agencies which oversee and Administrate these affairs do not "try again" ... or do not help facilitate such 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & etc. attempts in the future - however remote that future may seem to be from our mortal human perspectives.

Regarding an earlier point, which finds a relevant place here, I think Nick - as myself - would agree with the points in the Teaching anent the Lipika, or `Lords of Karma.' These are some of the most IMpersonal of Divine Agencies that we might imagine, yet They are the guarantee that the Law of Karma is administered for all of Humanity (and hence, for EVERY human Soul) - not simply FAIRLY and PERFECTLY (from the higher standpoint), but also in what will only sound like a contradiction, personally.

In short, each INDIVIDUAL Soul has the Higher Law applied for it, both without discrimination, and yet - with EVERY consideration of the various circumstances that affect THAT SOUL (and NOT just the temporary, incarnate personality ... as these are all SECONDARY concerns).

Do you see? It will do us no good to try and understand the workings of the Law of Karma (the Law of Cause and Effect), unless we also have the proper understanding of the Nature of the Soul, and of the proper relationship between the Soul and the tiny incarnation of a fragment thereof (see the Sri Isopanishad, v.15) ... which we call the personality. Mistaking our mortal self for the self that Abides, is it any wonder that we find fault with the Divine, and seek outside blame for our sufferings and misfortune?

I said:
Yet in invoking karma and similar we are effectively denying freewill to any degree, and instead putting the blame on cosmic forces we have no control over.
Not if we accept that we are inherently responsible for our actions. Those who blame KARMA are simply invoking Karma-Nemesis. This is a difficult subject, but I recommend reading the definition that H.P. Blavatsky provided, and consider carefully what she has to say:
Karma-Nemesis [from Sanskrit karma action, cause and effect + Greek Nemesis goddess of harmony or retribution] The appointed karmic lot or destiny of any entity, latent in the entity's germinal existence and unfolded progressively in the course of its growth or evolution. The universe as a whole fulfills, in the course of its cyclic evolution, all that is contained in the germ at the dawn of its manifestation; and the individual, who in essence is a spark of the divine life, follows the same inscrutable law of destiny, as do also the worlds and all the beings in and on them.

The destiny which lies in the germ is the destiny which belongs to the spiritual entity in its various attributes behind that germ, and these attributes as a whole -- in other words the svabhava of the entity -- are born of that entity's portion of free will leading it off into strange bypaths during the ages-long course of its evolutionary growth. The incarnate person, having the power of choice, can wander temporarily far astray from the path of his divine destiny, lured by the attractions of the lower planes of manifestation. This stirring up of karmic results which actually becomes Karma-Nemesis, that which cannot be avoided and must be worked out, the beneficent but inexorable adjuster and restorer of harmony.

Thus destiny is not fatalism, but emphatically supports the idea of intrinsically spiritual free will. The stirring up of these seeds of Karma-Nemesis are the consequences or results of the entity's own will in act, feeling, and consequent result. Thus destiny is of two kinds: that which the evolving entity has stored up as character, propensities, biases, and svabhava in other lives; and that which the entity, using its modicum of free will, is now storing up for its future, but in accordance with its own exercise of will or choice. See also FREE WILL; KARMA; NEMESIS​

In short, the apparent contradiction between Karma and Free Will, between Destiny and the power to Choose, is just that. It is appearance only, and is itself a condition of the illusion which conditions our incarnate existence. Once we have learned to better stand free (detached) from such illusions and misunderstandings, and once we have gained a measure of what the Buddhists call equanimity - meeting all circumstances with neither favor nor disapproval - we shall be THAT much closer to the Consciousness and the manner in which the Soul, the true SELF within, meets with and regards all outer, lesser, fleeting and transitory circumstances of its long string of individual incarnations.

I said:
In which case, there can be no such thing as "bad" or "good" karma because it is all divinely ordained in the first place, if that is what is accepted!
I think this has just been clarified ... or at least, to my satisfaction.

I said:
the focus remains on blaming the victim, not the perpetrator!

But that does not mean to say we cannot take affirmative and positive action now in this lifetime to try and prevent the same mistakes of man and nature from being repeated.
Again, if we understand Karma to be - First of all, an IMPERSONAL, Divine LAW (an expression on a very high plane of the 3rd Aspect or Holy Spirit, governing all of the Manifest Cosmos) ... and Second, to be `blind' only in the sense that every action has necessary and inescapable results (much like say, GRAVITY?), then I think we will see that the JUST man has nothing to fear, and could not possibly have a complaint to voice regarding the nature of reality.

After all, to WHOM should he direct his complaints? To the anthropomorphic, PERSONAL deity whom and which is refusing to hear the pleading and begging of those who feel they have been unjustly slighted?

For certainly there is unnecessary suffering in the three worlds, and that is what the Buddhas and the Christs have tried to teach us how to AVOID. And how have we received either them or their Teachings? :eek:

But we shall not place BLAME, either with the apparent VICTIMS of crimes and misfortunes, nor with an imperfect DEITY for having ALLOWED such terrible things to happen (to such good, innocent people) ... NOR even with those seemingly bad, evil individuals who have transgressed Divine Law (in this case, the Law which corresponds to the 2nd Aspect in manifestation, being the Law of LOVE) and caused some harm to self or others.

For we have been taught FORGIVENESS, and even to RESIST NOT EVIL. We have been asked to find - within the very depths of our Heart - an Identification WITH each party involved in any apparent injustice, and while we are asked to DEFEND the victims in every observable circumstance, we are also taught to seek to UNDERSTAND and to consider the true nature, meaning and implications of Ignorance and Nescience (which are responsible for transgressions of the Law to begin with).

It is due to all of this, due to the very NATURE of things (great and small, above and below, within and without) that Shakyamuni Buddha delivered to us the FOUR NOBLE TRUTHS, telling us in no uncertain terms that our planet includes SUFFERING as one of the conditions hereupon (at present), and proceeding to give us the Cause, the Solution, and the precise STEPS NEEDED to bring about the Final and Perfect ANTIDOTE to the poisons and the miseries which we continue to experience here.

Christ taught no different, though He knew well that He needed to place the emphasis upon these STEPS (the Noble Eightfold Path), since the Buddha had already laid the Foundation or the groundwork for the Work at hand.

And no one with a modicum of insight would suggest that our planet is - at this stage - PERFECT with regard to its reflection, its mirroring, of the Divine Kingdoms of the Heavens ... upon the outer, lower planes. This is what we are laboring toward, since we are told that it is God's WILL, and that we are an important part of the Equation, a NECESSARY `player' in the Working out of the Plan.

In short, we are helping to build the BRIDGE, even as did Christ Jesus, between the very Highest - and the very Lowest - in the Kingdom of God, the Kingdom of Heaven, the Kingdom of Souls.

For the Highest Law, corresponding to the First Aspect, is Synthesis ... and the implications thereof are the Harmony, the Cooperation, the Agreement and the Joyous, shared experiencing of the very PURPOSE for our Being here - not considered instantaneously, in one, short moment of time, unless you wish to invoke the Eastern notions of Bliss-Ananda, and the Christian experiencing of - Rapture.

Rather, the kind of Synthesis which we must learn to aspire toward is one which complements the Law of LOVE (or Attraction, in the Highest sense), and which also abides by the Law of Sowing and Reaping, such that no person sees any difference between the inherent worth AND potential of one person (perhaps himself) and that of every other. Only thus shall we help to make this a Sacred Planet.

OM TAT SAT

~+~
Oh hidden Life
Vibrant in every atom

Oh hidden Light
Shining in every creature

Oh Hidden Love
Embracing all in Oneness

May all who feel themselves
As one with Thee

Know they are therefore
One with Every Other

~ Annie Besant​

Karma is like Cosmos' Boomerang, and here we are learning lesson about basic boomerang toss. Just consider how far very good throw may travel. How are we dancing while we turn in the heavens with our boomerang ... like dervishes? like druids?

Anybody here really good at tossing the boomerang? {It makes me think of the shot put, but that's another entity altogether, isn't it ;)}

I am having trouble reconciling my understanding of karma with the horrible things that happen to people, children especially.
It doesn't matter whether they are children or adults, karma does not affect ones outcome. It is simply a psychological construct.

Taking the recent natural disaster in Haiti as an example. Is this a natural occurrence because the earth's crust was being true to it's own nature and the earthquake was the result,
Yes, that is correct. It is as simple as that.

or did it happen to the people of Haiti because it was a result of their collective karma?
Of course not. Why would you propose such a silly idea :eek: !!

My side of reason tells me that karma makes sense as a universal law, but my emotional side tells me that this not fair.
Reason tells one there is no such thing as karma.

Perhaps this is because I have grown up around Western ideas and the idea of having only one life is so prominent, which won't allow the idea of reincarnation to be accepted.
Thats right.

If a child suffers karma tells us that this is because they caused the suffering of another in a previous life.
This is some kind of irrational guilt complex.
Logically this is a fair system, because all are accountable for their actions.
This would not be fair at all, but of course we are not discussing fairness issues anyway.

Yet I am having trouble committing to belief in it. All opinions welcome.:D
I am having some doubts too, but it doesn't mean we can't have some fun with the idea. :)

Reason tells one there is no such thing as karma.

If one's reasoning is perfect and is taken to be the final, ultimate, only arbiter...

...does reason tell us if wormholes exist? Does reason show us that time is linear? Does reason explain why gravity exists? If gravity did not exist would reason show that it should exist?

...and depending on one's definition and understanding of the term karma...

s.

Back