History of Christianity

The full name, actually, was El Pueblo de Nuestra Sen~ora la Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula. They wanted to make sure we understood that this town belonged to Our Lady of Porciuncula, not Our Lady of Guadalupe or any of those others (Latin American towns devoted to this or that particular vision of the Blessed Virgin often have fights over "Our Lady is better than Your Lady!")

The abbreviation of this name (which is still the official name, I guess, since nobody has ever bothered to change it) to "LA" is probably, percentagewise, the most severe abbreviation in the world!
Thanks Bob!

I like your summary.

Some of this about the extended name is covered in the source I cited, which suggests the shorter version was the founding name. But I have heard the longer version too. Either way, that is a pretty serious abbreviation.

Gentlemen:

Fencing, has rules.

3. back away when it is an obvious impasse...
Yes, and arguing with circular reasoning is an impasse, so I believe it is time to back away.

At least a plausible and possible, and I feel more and more likely, historic chain of events has been allowed a moment in contrast to custom, legend and tradition. I can ask for no more.

A tradition is the accepted truth, evidence is necessary to refute it.
That is, as long as that tradition supports the Institution. Any tradition contrary to the Institution must adhere to the normal rules of evidence...and around we go yet again...sorry, but this is getting tiresome.

Last edited:
But you'd be interpreting it wrong, applying a Post-reformation sensibility to events that happened a thousand years earlier. The causes of the Iconoclast dispute was a sop to Islam, that is historically evidenced. The Protestant rejection of imagery was a rejection of the Tradition, forced on the populace by the reformers, and not happily accepted — See Duffy's "The Stripping of the Altars".
Not at all. The only thing required is a copy of the Ten Commandments from a Jewish Bible...compare notes with the Ten Commandments as written in a Catholic Bible. Wait a minute, they're different! How can that be???

How's that for a poke at the padded heart?

Yes, and arguing with circular reasoning is an impasse, so I believe it is time to back away.

At least a plausible and possible, and I feel more and more likely, historic chain of events has been allowed a moment in contrast to custom, legend and tradition. I can ask for no more.
Wasn't worried about that...was worried about you two...

I *do* find it intriguing that a person executed with the grudging blessing of Roman authority later becomes a religious icon for the benefit of same Roman authority.
Oh, I think history is full of such examples.

But the point was that Christianity, particularly at the beginning, was not as well received as you were attempting to make it sound. ;)
I'm not saying it was ... I am saying, that according to the generally accepted view of history, its spread was epidemic.

Any external non-Church validation?
No, why would there be?

I can assure Gibbons says no such thing, neither to Peter nor Paul. Gibbons *does* say that Rome assumed pre-eminence by virtue of numbers and money; in short, politics.
And I suggest a look around current scholarship on the web will show it's unwise to invest too much in Gibbons, as a 'Roman idealist'. It's evident from Acts that the parent church was Jerusalem, and Paul collected monies from the other Churches to be taken there, in accordance with custom.

When Jerusalem fell, Rome was the next obvious 'centre' from which the message could be disseminated to the ends of the earth. The Church believed Peter and Paul had died there, that was enough for them. Remember Paul wasn't intending to stay in Rome, but go on to Spain.

Again, although Rome was regarded by Christians as the centre, it was because of Peter and Paul, not because of Rome, Alexandria and Antioch were the theological centres — that's where the doctrines were formulated, so that in theological studies one can determine an Alexandrian and an Antiochene school, not a Roman one.

Polycarp (a disciple of John) also kept the Jewish sabbath and the Jewish Passover.
In reference to Christianity, which celebrated its own sabbath — the Eucharistic liturgy – on its own day, over and above the Jewish sabbath (again evident in Acts). Likewsie the Passover, which was seen as prefiguring the Passover of Christ. Thus the Christian Passion superceded the Jewish Pasch.

Christianity was proscribed by the Jews around 90AD, so it was rather a case of the Jews broke with the Christians. The focus of Christianity was on the 'new covenant' in Christ, again evident in Hebrews. As the gap between Jews and an increasingly Gentile Church widened, it was inevitable that adherence to Jewish customs were not seen as principle nor necessary – remember that the Jews caused a riot when Paul took non-Jewish converts into the Temple in Jerusalem.

In Matthew and Paul (and Scripture generally) the line is that Christ came to the Jews, and was rejected by them, and that He saw His message take root amongst the Gentiles as an approaching sign of the accomplishment of His ministry. This rejected of Christ culminated in the ejection of the Christians from the Jewish community.

So Christians rejected the Jews and there is plenty of evidence of anti-semitism, but they didn't reject the Old Testament.

I'm sorry, but short of the resurrection I just don't see it, and not for lack of trying. These things were indeed extent within the Pagan community, but to place these things on first century Christianity is a stretch.
Not at all, in fact quite the opposite. Try Ignatius of Antioch or Clement of Rome. Try "The Early Christian Fathers" (Ed. Bettenson) or "Early Christian Doctrines" J.N.D. Kelly. You'll find the Virgin Birth, Incarnation, Trinity, Salvation, Church, man's origins, man's fall, man's redemption and man's eschatology.

Furthermore you'll find the Christian understanding of the Baptism and the Eucharist as radically different from contemporary pagan ideas.

The Christian theologians didn't divide the world into Christianity-true and everything else-false. Rather they saw 'everything else' as possessing a partial insight into certain truths, but that everything else was the process of human reason, whereas Christianity was direct divine revelation. So I'm saying that it's not enough to look at what Christianity shares in common with contemporary ideas, but one must also look at how it differs, and all that focusses on the Christian idea of Incarnation and Trinity which are new and unique.

In an attempt to soften my tone from my original answer, allow me to ask this: I am expecting an honest answer: Do you sincerely believe Nicaea consolidated what Paul preached?
The Creed of Nicea established the fundamental tenets of Christianity according to Apostolic Tradition, not just Paul. Paul himself defends his gospel as no different from the tradition as it existed in his own day. Everything else is administrative detail.

Who were the Ebionites?
One of a number of disparate groups who sought to Judaize Christianity, thus refuting the New Testament Scriptures, seeing Jesus as purely human, not divine, the natural child of Joseph and Mary. He was the pre-destined Messiah, and would return in time. The Nazoreans saw Jesus as Divine, accepted the Virgin Birth, but like the Ebionites demanded strict observance of the Jewish Law.

You can see their genesis in Acts, when Paul disputed with Peter in Antioch when Peter chose to eat apart from the Gentile converts. Both Peter and Paul had to argue for the inclusion of Gentiles into the faith, and Paul that they did not need to observe Jewish practice. It was James who affirmed this (Acts 15).

You grab onto Polycarp (a disciple of John), yet casually dismiss the disciples of James the Just, and likely disciples of Peter and disciples of still other Apostles that walked with Jesus. Why?
But I don't. I just lay greater emphasis on material evidence. If you can tell me who these disciples were, then I am happy to discuss them. But to assume that the Ebionites or the Nazoreans followed James, is, I would suggest, an error.

Who was the author of the Letter to the Hebrews? I don't know, nor from whom he received the faith. Who compiled the document we now hold as the Gospel of Matthew? I don't know, nor from whom he received the faith, although I might argue he combined the original Hebrew Gospel of Matthew (a logia or sayings document) with Mark's chronology. Who wrote Mark? The consensus is he was a convert and disciple of Peter whilst Peter was held in Rome before his execution. Only John stands, according to the weight of internal and external evidence, as an eye witness account.

I would also argue that James appears, according to the very little evidence we have, to be something of an ascetic and a monk, whose knees 'were hardened like camel's hoofs' by constant prayer, a style which you suggest is the product of later mythologising.

By contrast, you seem to suggest that there is no way in Hades there could be British Christians in Constantine's army...
I rather think not, indeed, I thought I was arguing that Christianity had permeated the empire to a greater degree, and were thus more powerful, than you allow.

I do however give what I feel is appropriate credit where credit is due. Constantine deserves *a share of* culpability, but that culpability spreads across many persons. Constantine was the benefactor that instigated the process.
Here we go again ... culpability for what? My point is the Church was an institution long before Constantine. He deserves no credit at all, except for seeing the writing on the wall.

Simplistic, but OK...if that's as close as you're willing to go I'll deal with it.
It's not simplistic at all ... it's what is ... I'm applying Occam's Razor ... you're trying to overcomplicate the issue by suggesting things which have little or no evidence to support it, and part of that thesis requires you to ignore the fact that the Church, its institutions and its doctrines were in place by around 100AD.

It's taken me what?, about a year or so to get this much out of you. Now if I can only get you to see the implications...then and now. ;)
That's my point. As far as I see it, you've got nothing more than you started with, and you've made none of your arguments stick, and you've shown a distinct inclination to ignore the material evidence where it stands against you.

Thomas

Gentlemen:

Fencing, has rules.

1. do not strike any point apart from the padded "Heart".
2. do not strike any observer while in the "en-garde" position.
3. back away when it is an obvious impasse...

EH?????

WTF????

And where and when did fencing use such "rules"? They do not resemble any rules under which I have fenced, in any salle or tournament.

This seems like a good place to share a thought I was mulling this afternoon:

If a person gathers spiritual value from this story or that practice; then please, by all means continue with my blessing, such as it is.

There is a distinction to be made between tradition and historic event.

What was consolidated at Nicaea was not what Paul (or any other apostle) preached...unless he drove around in his chariot with a three inch high statue of Jesus' mother glued to the dashboard and I didn't hear about it.

Let us not confuse tradition, custom, dogma and doctrine with historic events; and absolutely not as something beyond question and infallibly unassailable. Doing so is a disservice to scholarship as well as common sense. If we cannot surmount this, then we are indeed at an impasse.

Last edited:
Tradition, custom, dogma and doctrine do not constitute material evidence, alas.
I was referring to the written materials — the letters of Clement of Rome, and Ignatius of Antioch — again and again you choose to ignore this material evidence because Ignatius alone demonstrates that your thesis is ill-founded, and you imply a huge number of anachronistic errors to your notions of church development.

Thomas

There is a distinction to be made between tradition and historic event.
Your assumption that a tradition is founded on the unhistoric is, however, false.

There is a tradition of the founding fathers in America, as there is a tradition of Magna Carta in the UK, and there are documents ...

What was consolidated at Nicaea was not what Paul (or any other apostle) preached...
Something you continually infer, but fail to actually demonstrate. Please offer an example and show your evidence and thus demonstrate the validity of this thesis.

unless he drove around in his chariot with a three inch high statue of Jesus' mother glued to the dashboard and I didn't hear about it.
And you're suggesting someone at Nicea did.

Let us not confuse tradition, custom, dogma and doctrine with historic events;
Except where the material evidence of historical events supports the tradition, in which case ignore that too?

and absolutely not as something beyond question and infallibly unassailable.
Indeed not, bit more sound than opinion and mere speculation.

Doing so is a disservice to scholarship as well as common sense. If we cannot surmount this, then we are indeed at an impasse.
You continue to ignore the evidence ... and the implication of the evidence ... in favour of your thesis.

If you want, we can go though Ignatius' letter to the Smyrnaeans point by point, would that help?

Thomas

Your assumption that a tradition is founded on the unhistoric is, however, false.
Oh, I think a casual read through what I have actually said over the last few pages of this thread would imply otherwise. The difficulty I am having in this conversation is that you accept tradition that is convenient...wholesale...and completely dismiss any conflicting tradition...wholesale. I agree there may be "a kernel" of truth behind traditions, but I do not accept, nor always reject, long held traditions wholesale.

Case in point is the "tradition" that Peter was at Rome. Was he, really? There is a reasonable possibility. But then we have this tradition that says, "oh, we found his bones, but we have misplaced them and nobody seems to know where they are now." How convenient...*exactly* like the tradition that Arthur and Guinevere's bones were interred at Glastonbury, until they were unearthed and "lost." OOOOPS...

You accept the tradition of Peter...wholesale...because it is convenient. You dismiss the tradition of Arthur...wholesale...because it is inconvenient. If this were an isolated case, it could be overlooked, but this is your method throughout. You accept convenient bias, wholesale without any question. You dismiss inconvenient bias, wholesale by any means possible. If you are not appealing to authority, you are leveling ad hominem. You hold no continuity to your arguments...everything is argument for convenience. And then have the nerve to accuse me of the very things you are doing. You repeatedly put words in my mouth or say that I said things over and above what I really did say...even after I clarify, again...and again. This conversation is just too frustrating. It's all there, and very easy for anyone to see. I have tried my utmost to maintain a form of scholarly neutrality...but I cannot discuss in an atmosphere such as this.

I expect so much more of you. I know you have it in you, I've seen it elsewhere. That is what disappoints me the most.

I am not attacking your faith. I am not attacking the faith of anybody. I have no desire to undermine anyone's Christianity. But I have a different set of standards to which I hold the term "truth." To me truth is reality. Is there reality within your version of the truth? Yes. Is it completely, totally, inerrantly true? Not a chance in hell.

Something you continually infer, but fail to actually demonstrate. Please offer an example and show your evidence and thus demonstrate the validity of this thesis.
Oh, no. I have repeatedly provided references (something I note you fail to do, "it is somewhere under a stack of papers"). How did the Ten Commandments get changed, if what Nicaea did was simply reinforce what Paul and Peter taught? How convenient that the one specific commandment that pertains to idols was...shall we say...omitted. Even Paul, in taking the commission to the Gentiles, did *not* alter the Ten Commandments nor the Noachide Laws! As a Hebrew rabbinical scholar that would have been unthinkable to him, and you can show me no place in the New Testament narrative where he did! I have shown *repeatedly* the anti-Semetic undertones surrounding the entire Council. Explain that away if you wish...Paul wasn't, and Peter sure wasn't anti-Semetic. You poo-poo the Jewishness of Jesus, without realizing the implications...not surprising, these same arguments have been reinforcing convenient prejudices for centuries. Shall I continue???

Now, *who* is overlooking the inconvenient *facts*???

Frankly, I don't care what statues you worship, if they aid your spiritual journey. But don't even try to convince me that Jesus worshiped with a statue of his own mother on the mantelpiece, or that somehow Paul and Peter taught that it was OK to do so. You have the nerve to say that the Nicaean creed was over two hundred years old at that time, when Nicaea was really all about separation from any residual Jewishness. By inference and by definition, that means the Creed was *not* what the Apostles preached wholly, totally and infallibly.

Others can take away what they will from this discussion, and if I have in any way polluted anybody's faith, I sincerely apologize.

This discussion will eventually come around to how a person defines "truth." I spelled out my definition plainly, I have no institution to defend or to which I am beholding. All I have is the Spirit to guide me, and that for me is enough.

If you are in this discussion to "win" it, I concede. You won.

Last edited:
I thought the icons and statues were there to spark the mind, kinda like when you see your bible on the table or when you drive across Colorado from the east and the mountains rise up before you.
But indeed I do remember some text in the OT about no image on the earth or in heaven above. So just a reminder not the real thing I guess.

I've read the above posts and many others here at the Christianity side of the forum and come away puzzled most times. For such an important event in history especially for Christians, I always seem surprised that there is not a more complete history, like something concrete, that shows exactly what went on.

BTW:thanks for the research, I just don't have the patience to wade through thousands of pages of information to distill the more important pieces like that which has been shown here. Just wish now and again though, that there could be more of an agreement on what it presents.

Last edited:
So, do we continue with Geza Vermes, or shall we disparage his person too in order to discredit his research and effort? I do hope there are others willing to constructively join the conversation, and who do not need to resort to fallacious logical reasoning to make their points.

Hi Juantoo —

So, do we continue with Geza Vermes, or shall we disparage his person too in order to discredit his research and effort?
Well you can, and certainly he has a viewpoint to be respected, but it is not infallible.

I haven't him ... I read through an interview, and felt a couple of points he made were rather assumptive ... but the point is that his work does not represent a proof as such, just a hypothesis.

I would certainly pay more attention to him, than probably the whole Jesus Seminar rolled into one, but then I would pay attention to other voices too.

Someone I listen to quite closely, on early Christianity and especially Pauline studies, is the Anglican theologian N.T. Wright.

So certainly if you want to topic Vermes as a discussion point, then let's discuss, but if you're posting his theories as incontrovertible proof, indeed many of his critics, from what I gather, tackle him on his own ground when he asserts that non-Jewish theories of Christianity must have come from the Hellenic culture, and therefore are not properly part of Jesus' teaching, and can be disposed of.

Recent scholarship has shown that contemporary Judaism in the time of Jesus was far more varied than is generally assumed (no doubt in part to the influence of hellenic culture) and more diverse than perhaps Vermes allows.

Remember, it was a 'given' that John's Gospel was Hellenic in its inspiration, even gnostic, because of his use of the image of light and darkness ... then it was discovered that John's language is in fact rooted in Jewish mysticism.

Thomas

On the discussion of Vermes, let me put this, in response to statements made by the author in an interview with The Guardian newspaper.

Might I add beforehand that this is really quite unfair — a newspaper interview does not fairly represent a body of work, although it might indicate a disposition

Yet if you look at what Jesus actually said, then you get a different picture.
Well we don't have what Jesus said, do we, other than in the testimony of the Gospels? So the idea that passing Scripture through some kind of filter is a dubious practice, surely? The only way to differentiate between what the Gospels report, and what Jesus actually said, is by way of a massive assumption?

If he did talk about the resurrection, he forgot to write it down; so it's more likely he didn't.
Again, He didn't write anything down, so the logic of this argument is wanting, surely? And He did talk about it though, didn't He?

Also, the written texts we have are after the event, and are the testimony of an oral tradition, except John, which we may safely assume to be an eye-witness account, and which provides a remarkable insight into our interpretation of Scripture.

And if he did, then why did his resurrection come as such a surprise to the apostles? No one said, 'Of course, Jesus said it would be like this' when his tomb was found to be empty; even Mary Magdalene assumed that someone must have moved the body. Nobody's reactions correspond to the expectation of a resurrection.
But the solution to that is in Scripture itself:
"Then that other disciple (John) also went in, who came first to the sepulchre: and he saw, and believed. For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead." John 20:8-9
I think this is John, written comparatively late, making a point on the apostolic testimony, that many of the things Jesus said confounded his followers — they left in droves after his bread of life discourse as recorded in John, and the twelve were themselves at a loss when he said one of them would betray him — the point I would have thought was their expectation of the resurrection was in the Jewish tradition, of the Messiah coming on the wings of heaven, and all that ... the actual simplicity of the physical resurrection might have come as something of a shock, even for those who had some order of expectation!

Vermes goes on to argue that subsequent sightings of Jesus are best understood as visions in which the apostles felt his charisma working as it had done when he was alive.
Only if you toss out everything in Scripture which doesn't agree with the theory, on the grounds that it doesn't agree with the theory!

Thomas obviously thought the disciples had seen this order of vision, and berated them for their hysteria ...
(Aside: why wasn't Thomas in hiding with the rest of them after the crucifixion? Maybe because he is the one who said "Let us go up to Jerusalem and die with him" — Thomas was probably out and about, ready to stand up for Jesus if he was challenged? Just a thought... )
... until Jesus turned up and said 'put your finger in my wounds' ... Jesus ate with the disciples, indeed He cooked for them ... the testimony of Scripture is explicit in presenting Him as a physical resurrection.

The idea of an afterlife predates the Christian era and the preaching of eternal life is well attested; a physical resurrection is not essential to a belief in spiritual survival."
Then why was such a doctrine ever seen as essential in the first place ... why, if you're going to invent a mythology, make any more of it than is necessary for it's acceptance? By this argument one might ask why the disciples invented a mythology that was so easy to dispute? If you're going to hoodwink someone, the rule of thumb is to stay as close to the truth, and the acceptable, as possible.

Perhaps because that is what happened ... it's a crazy thought, I know ...

I hope my reasoning is neither fallacious nor illogical, unless one is arguing de facto that belief in Scripture is necessarily fallacious and illogical, and that any evidence that supports said belief must be false, or is at least inadmissible ... whereas any suggestion or implication to the contrary must be treated as proven and factual, for that very reason.

Thomas

Back