Christian propaganda calling Allah Moon God a lie.

Amergin

Reaction score
Allah is a variation of the Judaic God. In prehistoric Amorite theology, El, Elohim, Eloah. El, the father god, has many divine sons, who are known by the plural of his name, Elohim, or Els. Eloah, might then be used to differentiate each of the lesser gods from El himself. In Islam, the divine name Allahumma, used in the Qur'an as a variation of Allah, is clearly related to El, Eloah, Els, and Elohim. It has nothing to do with the Moon.

Hubal, Illat, Ta'lab, and Wadd are the Moon gods of ancient Arabian mythology.

You are confused because the crescent moon and star are used as symbols on Islamic flags and buildings. The origin goes back thousands of years before Muhammad who did not use the Crescent Moon symbol.

The pre-Christian Greek city of Byzantium used the Crescent Moon and star as the flag of the city before Christians renamed the city, Constantinople. The Pagan and later Islamic Turkic people of central Asia used the Crescent Moon symbol of the heavens.

The false claim that Allah was a Moon God is simply Christian anti-Muslim propaganda (or a lie.)

Amergin

It is believed that the crescent moon symbol was adopted on Muslim banners (at some early point, but later than Muhammad) because they adhered to the lunar calendar (months starting with the "1st" day of the moon when the baby moon is visible following the sun down), identified with the Abrahamic faiths, as opposed to the solar calendar ("months" are arbitrary twelfths of the seasonal year, averaging ~30 1/2 days, a little longer than the lunar phase-cycle ~29 1/2 days), which was identified with the regime of the Caesars.

The false claim that Allah was a Moon God is simply Christian anti-Muslim propaganda (or a lie.)

Amergin
I've not met the Christians that promote this.

To me it just yet again seems to be someone attempting to stir the soup, find divisions where they don't exist.

I've not met the Christians that promote this.
You'll find them on the kinds of boards where the End Times are in the next couple years, and birds are dying because God is angry at a court's ruling on same sex marriage, etc.

what makes you think its wrong and made up ?

By just about everything I've read.

Of course if you have some information that is new and different let us take a look at it.

To me currently it is the typical one upmanship contest, trying to differentiate oneself from the others, and as the best defense is a good offense, if one wishes to differentiate and we have problems elevating our side, we try to diminish the other side....making us look better in the process.

By just about everything I've read.

Of course if you have some information that is new and different let us take a look at it.

To me currently it is the typical one upmanship contest, trying to differentiate oneself from the others, and as the best defense is a good offense, if one wishes to differentiate and we have problems elevating our side, we try to diminish the other side....making us look better in the process.

from what I've read it seem perfectly valid

the islamic assumption is that allah and the God of the Bible are the same thing, IMO they are not.

How do I know this ? as someone who was a muslim but later became a Christian allah and the God of the Bible are different entities IMO, is that one upmanship ? not at all its simply the truth as I see it.

I thought you were going to provide some substance...but....

Allah is the moon god....this is valid??

You are not monotheistic then?

The Quran refers to Jesus quite a bit yes? and the Torah, and speaks of the same G!d.

I thought you were going to provide some substance...but....

Allah is the moon god....this is valid??

in my view the notion that allah is a moon god is entirely plausable, and i have already posted why I think this is the case.

but i am aware that there are differing opinions on this, not being being an expert of ancient languages of that time i would have to defer to the opinion of others, however as already stated the allah of the quran and the God of the Bible are different entities IMO and the basis of this opinion is entirely down to personal experience.

You are not monotheistic then?

yes I believe in one true God, there are however other spiritual forces that some refer to as gods.

The Quran refers to Jesus quite a bit yes? and the Torah, and speaks of the same G!d.

and yes the quran does refer to Jesus, however the quran is the work of anti christ.

Yup.....God of Quran is Moon God, God of OT is Thunder God, while Jesus is a syncretic "Dionysus + Horus + Mithras" God........lets debunk all Abrahamics......shall we?

Real God is Shangdi, the eternal. :D

in my view the notion that allah is a moon god is entirely plausable, and i have already posted why I think this is the case.

but i am aware that there are differing opinions on this
It is not a matter of opinion. It is a question of fact. It is a falsehood, a deliberate lie.

I personally don't care whether it's the truth or a lie.

The trouble with religion is that nothing is ever black and white. Everything is always fuzzy. If it's "true," it's never as "true" as the day sky is blue. If it's a "lie," it's never as "false" as the night sky is black. In the good ol' days when we used to have Christianity vs. Islam debates here on these forums, the moon god argument was a favourite. On the Islam side, the idea that Christians were idolaters and polytheists was a favourite. But I always had the feeling that these kinds of discussions were always pointless because of the motivation behind it, which was to put down the other religion and promote your own.

The name "Allah" probably was used to refer to some moon god prior to the advent of Islam and Jews and Muslims are probably right that the Trinity does equate to a form of idolatry, that Christians should revise their theology. But even if this were true, the name "Allah" doesn't refer to a moon god anymore and the Trinity isn't even set-in-stone in Christianity. It's just an interpretation. (Oh, and it doesn't matter what Elohim meant back then. We know the Tanakh is really talking about the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.)

The later Christians got confused about what the early proto-Christians meant with their mysterious terminology. They knew it was important to be "monotheistic." They just forgot what was really "fundamental" and "essential" to Christianity and created a number of creeds associated with the Trinity and Jesus being God. Christianity was supposed to take the Gentile Christians away from pagan idolatry. The Seven Noahide Laws as outlined in Acts 21 was the one "creed" they forgot.

The Quran contains references to important people in the Tanakh, so it has to be talking about the Jewish God Hashem. Who would believe that Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Moses worshipped a "moon god" named "Allah?" We know it's unlikely they did. The Tanakh wasn't even written in Arabic. It's more likely that "Allah" is equivalent to Hashem.

In religion, you may be able to show how something may be true, but you can never really prove it. That's because what you propose is just a theory. There are other possibilities. To think that your theory is the only correct theory is a very biased attitude.

But bias isn't the problem. The problem is the wrong kind of bias. What would you make of Jesus and his predecessor Hillel saying that loving your neighbour was equivalent to fulfilling the whole Law? That's a pretty biased attitude. It implies that all other commandments are secondary. If you could be kind to your neighbour, all other commandments temporarily become "optional." You'd skip the Sabbath to help your neighbour. After you've finished helping your neighbour, all the commandments become mandatory again.

Nothing is absolute. There are no absolutes in religion. Everything is relative. It's just a question of deciding what's more important. God is important, not because He is absolute, but because of reasons I cannot going into detail here, He's just important. You don't have to believe in God if you don't want to; nobody is forcing you to believe in Him. It's your choice. Do you think God is important?

The moon god argument is silly and pointless because it doesn't really address an important issue. It's a way to put down Islam and that doesn't really help anyone except those who like to play that kind of game. Muslims will simply hit back by saying the Trinity is idolatry or that it assigns partners to God. That kind of game gets us nowhere.

NiceCupOfTea can have his views because as he's told us a number of times already, he had a negative experience of Islam. I'm assuming it has to do with him being exposed to some very legalistic attitudes in Islam, just like there is legalism in Christianity with regards to Trinitarian theology.

Moon god, Trinity or not, Islam will still be Islam and Christianity will still be Christianity.

I had not heard of this moon god thing. You know, modern theology is highly derivative, collative, and adaptively anachronistic. The same can be said of ancient theology. There is nothing pristine about the theology and theocratic musings of the foundational mythology of the Abrahamic sects. This is one reason why the horror against the "Pagan" origins of Christianity is silly. It's all in the mix.

Chris

Yup.....God of Quran is Moon God, God of OT is Thunder God, while Jesus is a syncretic "Dionysus + Horus + Mithras" God........lets debunk all Abrahamics......shall we?

Real God is Shangdi, the eternal. :D

nice post Farhan

The trouble with religion is that nothing is ever black and white.
Questions about what worshipers of this faith or that are truly directing their worship toward may be fuzzy, but questions of historical fact are black and white. Like: Mithraists did not believe that Mithra was born of a human virgin in a manger with shepherds and wise men all around, etc.
The name "Allah" probably was used to refer to some moon god prior to the advent of Islam
NO, NO, NO! Prior to Muhammad, Allah was used by Arabic-speaking Jews to mean the Jewish God, by Arabic-speaking Christians to mean the Christian God, and by hanafis (native Arabic monotheists) to mean the One and Only One God. It was always used by those who believe that there is
only a God of Everything, never by those who believed that there was one god of the moon and another god of the sun and a god of thunder and a god of this and a god of that. The meaning of the word is "THE" God as opposed to "a" god, and claims that it ever meant anything else are simply a fabrication.

Back