Are You Afraid Of Death

Are You Afraid Of Death?

• Yes.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No.

Votes: 13 86.7%

• Total voters
That sounds totally cool, Mark. I'm 4 years behind you and I feel that I'm rapidly approaching that state as well. I just need to work through a couple of residual, sort of middle age crisis issues. Actually, things are really blooming for me and I'm almost off the angst treadmill, as it were. It's helped a lot to be able to write about things here. I'm almost to the point of having nothing left to say. That's good!

Cheers!

Chris

This sounds more like people afraid of living. Death is easy. The phrase 'peak experience' is a battle cry for death.

Sure Chris,
By your words it sounds like living is a matter of experience and control. Whereas, I think putting solo around a golf course is about as close to death as you can get, yet still breathe the next morning. You are putting yourself around the golf course. The ball is you. What makes it matter whether or not the ball goes into the next hole?

If living is a matter of control and experience, then death is just a matter of losing control and missing out on the next experience. If you have experienced the peak experience, then there is no higher pinnacle but to experience it again or lose it. If you have shot a hole-in-one on every hole, I imagine the game just won't be the same. The battle cry for death is: you enter the clubhouse telling everyone that you have shot a hole-in-one on every hole. So either people find a different green since the title has been taken, or worse: they begin the endless quest to repeat your experience. Who wrote the goal in the first place? Death by stick and ball. Death by the pursuit of control and experience.

A different definition of living might completely twist the thing around to render the phrase 'peak experience' obsolete... a phrase for experiential addicts and control freaks who pursue an emotional or experiential high. For example, rather than measuring what quantity of control and experience that you have obtained: What measure of control and experience have you given?

For example: How many people have you taught to play golf? How do you teach? Have you written a book about your religion of golf? Are you able to play with three very interested, inappropriately dressed girls... and still concentrate on the game? Have you ever played golf in a foreign country with people who don't speak your language, except the language of golf? Not trying to write the goal, but to identify that while control and experiences are one thing, true living may be something more complicated. If life were measured by the control and experience given, rather than obtained, then a person who lives to putt solo on a golf course is avoiding life entirely.

My experience so far is that one has to accept a modicum of terror and uncertainty to get on with releasing the security mechanisms that keep us from real experience. Fear, terror, anger at the discovery that there is no inherent fairness mechanism, giving up the false sense of control, giving up on the mythology of identity; the sense of ultimate aloneness that comes from releasing security blankets in order to penetrate the deeper layers of one's programming, and living in that uncoddled state day after day- that's the price to be paid for self-actualization.

But that's not "peak experience."
Golf is the closest thing to religion I have. Golf is like a dialog between all the inner angels and demons. It's a personal quest for self-mastery and control. Much better holistically than meditation. It's liquid physics. It's anger management. It's sheer Zen. It's a lifelong pursuit. You versus you.

Chris
I believe you might already see what I am trying to say, but do you see that you have spoken against your stated religion?

I believe you might already see what I am trying to say, but do you see that you have spoken against your stated religion?

OK, interesting. I'll have to think about that! BTW, I didn't say golf is my religion, I said it's the closest thing to religion I have.

Chris

Sure Chris,
By your words it sounds like living is a matter of experience and control. Whereas, I think putting solo around a golf course is about as close to death as you can get, yet still breathe the next morning. You are putting yourself around the golf course. The ball is you. What makes it matter whether or not the ball goes into the next hole?

If living is a matter of control and experience, then death is just a matter of losing control and missing out on the next experience. If you have experienced the peak experience, then there is no higher pinnacle but to experience it again or lose it. If you have shot a hole-in-one on every hole, I imagine the game just won't be the same. The battle cry for death is: you enter the clubhouse telling everyone that you have shot a hole-in-one on every hole. So either people find a different green since the title has been taken, or worse: they begin the endless quest to repeat your experience. Who wrote the goal in the first place? Death by stick and ball. Death by the pursuit of control and experience.

A different definition of living might completely twist the thing around to render the phrase 'peak experience' obsolete... a phrase for experiential addicts and control freaks who pursue an emotional or experiential high. For example, rather than measuring what quantity of control and experience that you have obtained: What measure of control and experience have you given?

For example: How many people have you taught to play golf? How do you teach? Have you written a book about your religion of golf? Are you able to play with three very interested, inappropriately dressed girls... and still concentrate on the game? Have you ever played golf in a foreign country with people who don't speak your language, except the language of golf? Not trying to write the goal, but to identify that while control and experiences are one thing, true living may be something more complicated. If life were measured by the control and experience given, rather than obtained, then a person who lives to putt solo on a golf course is avoiding life entirely.

Oh, I see. You're riffing off me. Carry on then...

Chris

Oh, I see. You're riffing off me. Carry on then...

Chris
No, I imagine that would require a few rounds of golf at the very least. I think Tiger Woods, as an example, feared a few things more about living than he did in golf, especially when the clubs came back swinging. :D

OK, interesting. I'll have to think about that! BTW, I didn't say golf is my religion, I said it's the closest thing to religion I have.

Chris

Are you able to play with three very interested, inappropriately dressed girls... and still concentrate on the game?

Luecy, I'm up for the test...

Chris, next November when I'm out your way we'll make it a fivesome.

Luecy, I'm up for the test...

Chris, next November when I'm out your way we'll make it a fivesome.

My people, the Scots, invented golf. Of all of the things that Scottish scientists, doctors, singers, and inventors have achieved, golf is the most stupid sport and waste of arable land in the world. I am not the only Highlander who hates golf. My greatest anger occurs when a telly channel's regular schedule is canceled for a Golf Tournament. I ask God to forgive me for the barmy profanities from my mouth when I turn on the telly and see some wanker swinging a golf club.:eek:

Amergin

Namaste,

thank you for the interesting poll.

i choose "no".

i would like to say, however, that there are some stipulations to that no :) namely, i do have some fears in regards to certain methods of death and i do have a general sort of fear of having wasted some opportunities in relationships with people and i tend to have this lingering fear of something vaguely unknown....a sort of biological clock running out, if you will, but it's hard to articulate.

metta,

~v

I'm not afraid of death. I'm sure when it comes I'll be quite accepting of it in a fatalistic way.

The fear is of not doing what I'm supposed to in this life before dying. Trouble is, I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to do in this life. There are themes, hints, shades and forms, but it feels they will not be revealed until my river of life flows into their places.

I saw a programme the other day......"I survived....... beyond and back", some of those stories were very comforting (to me, anyway).

People who thorough accidents or attempted murders etc, actually, died..... for a few minutes, and had experiences...then (obviously) brought back....... I especially like the guy who said, when he died, he saw a glow......... a light ........but he heard his name being called....... he said, if thunder could talk and say my name, that was what it was like..!!!
I guess we will all find out for ourselves, eventually.

Love the Grey

My people, the Scots, invented golf. Of all of the things that Scottish scientists, doctors, singers, and inventors have achieved, golf is the most stupid sport and waste of arable land in the world. I am not the only Highlander who hates golf. My greatest anger occurs when a telly channel's regular schedule is canceled for a Golf Tournament. I ask God to forgive me for the barmy profanities from my mouth when I turn on the telly and see some wanker swinging a golf club.:eek:

I'd like to say the same amount Australian football, or just about any kind of football.:D People kicking balls around is the most disgusting thing on this planet. They might as well be kicking my backside so I can sue them for assault. I generally hate sport anyway. Every sport is a kick in the bum. Every sport is a form of violence. All sport should be banned IMAO.

I voted 'no' ...

... but when I do something rather silly and reckless on my motorbike, it seems I should be voting 'yes'.

God bless,

Thomas

Amergin

Well look, if your only exposure to golf is TV then I totally understand. I used to feel that way too. I started out playing video golf. This was back when super NES was brand new. What I liked about it was that it was a thinking person's sort of video game. For every shot there were a number of factors to take into account. There is the wind, the lie, the club selection and what that does to the trajectory of the ball, the shape, disposition, and contours of the green. You have to take all these factors into account and then figure the remaining distance as a ratio to the club's shot length. This is a game where the older and smarter you are the more advantage you have rather than it all being based on quickness of reflexes. And, there's no timer. I can walk away, make a sandwich, grab a drink, come back, study my shot some more, and swing when I'm ready.

For my thirtieth birthday I bought myself my first set of clubs. I found that playing real golf was nothing like playing video golf. I couldn't stand on the tee box of a par 3 thinking :"OK, the wind is left to right and blowing against me, so I'll close my stance, go up a club and choke it down to 85%, and put top spin on the ball to hold the wind." No, I had to whack at the ball with all my might and hope it went in the right direction. It took me fifteen years to learn to hit down on my irons. I'm just now dialing in my driver. And I've found that I can't ever get my game going on all cylinders. If I practice my short game my long game goes to hell. If I'm spot on with the putter I can only hit my driver into the trees. It's so frustrating and beguiling all at the same time. And just when I'm ready to chuck it all I make one of those magical, pure shots. "I hate golf, I hate golf, I hate golf..." "oh, nice shot!" " I love golf, I love golf, I love golf."

And it's meditative. I've been in that magical zone where you don't think you just do. How do I get back in that zone? You have to think, you have to plan and take risks, but you have to let it go and not think. Oh so paradoxical! I have to have a conservative game plan. I have to know when to take chances and know when to take my lumps and just get it back to the fairway. I have to play from within my abilities, but that's so hard. I want the glory. I want to absolutely crush the ball. There's a time for that, but is now the time?

And, golf, unlike other sports, is a lifelong pursuit. You can play it 'til you're dead. I got my butt kicked by a seventy year old woman a couple of weeks ago. How cool is that? What a hoot! And it's not all about ego. It's fun. It's a social past time. It's a game where manners and etiquette matter.

I understand that in many parts of the world golf is a rich man's sport. There are class issues involved. Here in Arizona anyone can afford to play golf. You still need to wear a collared shirt at better courses, but it's not about money. And the contrast between the green of the golf course and the brown of the surrounding desert and mountains is so, so beautiful! It's like walking on an emerald gem. The birds are chirping, the prairie dogs and bunny rabbits are scurrying about, the water is crystal clear with big fishies swimming who've never known the fear of the hook, wild coyotes wonder fearlessly across the fairways, geese who have migrated from the north waddle around or fly over, and it's all just so serene and wonderful! And I step up to the tee box and absolutely CRUSH my driver. Man, heaven cannot be as good as this.

Chris

Well, attracting and holding on to a mate is a sort of game. You have to understand the unspoken rules. You have to understand that what is said and what is meant are often two very different things. You have to know how to offer value and wait. Gotta know how to wait and shut up. You have to know how to allow the tension to build, and when it's the right time to release that tension. But without honesty, value, and virtue it's all pretty hollow.

Chris

Back