morality within evolution

alexa said:
Are you sure you really want to say "that evil is not done in the name of religion" ? I hope not.:D

Sorry, poor syntax. I agree with you: evil, perhaps the worst, is done in the name of religion. I need to avoid double negatives, especially after midnight.

Still, love is not the only feeling which animates the human being. :D
I'm not talking about emotions. I'm using the word love as Abogado del Diablo uses Oneness (I think). Perhaps I will capitalize it from now on. Love.

Oneness (Osho Rajneesh) :

I am one with all things

- in beauty, in ugliness, for whatsoever is

- there I am.

Not only in virtue but in sin too I am a partner,

and not only heaven but hell too is mine.

Buddha, Jesus, Lao Tzu - it is easy to be their heir,

but Ghengis, Taimur, and Hitler?

They are also within me!

No, not half - I am the whole of mankind!

Whatsoever is man's is mine

- flowers and thorns, darkness as well as light,

and if nectar is mine, whose is poison?

Nectar and poison - both are mine.

Whoever experiences this I call religious,

for only the anguish of such experience

can revolutionize life on earth.

juantoo3 said:
But religion is not morality. Religion pretends to some form of morality, but it is not the morality itself. Religion teaches the "oughts and ought nots," but the individual is the one who "feels" and interprets the meanings.
Every religion preaches that the essence of all morality is to do good to others. And why? Be unselfish. And why should I? Some God has said it? He is not for me. Some texts have declared it? Let them; that is nothing to me; let them all tell it. And if they do, what is it to me? Each one for himself, and somebody take the hinder-most-- that is all the morality in the world at least with many. What is the reason that I should be moral? You cannot explain it except when you come to know the truth given in the Gita: "He who sees everyone in himself, and himself in everyone, thus seeing the same God living in all, he, the sage, no more kills the Self by the self." Know through Advaita that whosoever you hurt, you hurt yourself; they are all you. Whether you know it or not, through all hands you work, through all feet you move, you are the king enjoying in the palace, you are the beggar leading that miserable existence in the street; you are in the ignorant as well as in the learned, you are in the man who is weak, and you are in the strong; know this and be sympathetic. And that is why we must not hurt others. That is why I do not even care whether I have to starve, because there will be millions of mouths eating at the same time, and they are all mine. Therefore I should not care what becomes of me and mine, for the whole universe is mine, I am enjoying all the bliss at the same time; and who can kill me or the universe? Herein is morality.

The above passage is from the book Living At The Source Yoga Teachings of Swami Vivekananda

Namaste Alexa,

thank you for the post.

alexa said:
Hello Juan,

You brought to our attention another aspect about the evolution of the morality of a human being, this time. I think you'll agree to the fact the human being is rather complex. The person I was yesterday won't be the same tomorrow. We change every day, till the end of our days.

Alexa
this, rather concisely, is the Buddhist teaching of Atman.... no permanently-existing, static self or soul :)

what we choose to lable "me" and "you" is nothing more than a mental imputation... in essence, seeking to "freeze" the constantly changing being into a recognizable and discrete object that we can then relate to as recognizable, discrete objects :)

Kindest Regards, Abogado!
Abogado del Diablo said:
But doesn't it just become relativism rather than a "universal" morality? Is it a morality at all? Biology could explain the desire to further the interests of immediate family, children and spouse without reference to any morality.
This is a valid point, at an individual level. I think Lunamoth summed it nicely, when she said something to the effect of "because it is universal does not mean all comply." Else, why the concept of an "evil" person?

I suspected a few posts back that you and I would discover that we were talking about the same thing but using two different words. I am pretty sure that's the case now.
This is comforting, reaching similar conclusions from differing perspectives. :)

It's also the essence of Machiavelli. But again, is this "morality." It certainly doesn't seem to have the feel of a "universal" morality like the golden rule or Kant's categorical imperative.
Good point. This would seem to be more appropriately applied to "law." Like Luna, I have not studied Nietzche, nor Machiavelli. Kant, if I understand, says (my crude words) it must be alright for you before it is alright for me. I can see your association with the "golden rule" in this regard.

This (utilitarianism) as a source or philosophy for moral guidance has always troubled me. Hence, the reason I asked the question much earlier, "is a little white lie as bad as a deliberate deceit?" Motive would play a factor, certainly, but is not an untruth an untruth? Of course, there are moments when an untruth is socially desirable: (those jeans look great on you honey, honest!) or, to a dying person (hang in there, you're going to be alright!). Technically, this is not moral to the letter, but it would seem to be the preferable course of action.

Only if you discount the power of aesthetics.
I am not familiar with this term is this context. Aesthetics to me is akin to art appreciation, being able to discern the more beautiful things in life. Before this conversation, I had never heard this term applied to morality.

Is survival the "good"?
I would think by definition it would have to be, otherwise we would not be having this discussion. :) My concern is that survival is not the "be all and end all."

This does provide a segway into another question that crossed my mind recently; is it "universally moral" to further human survival at the expense of other life? Particularly those Vaj calls "sentient beings?" I mean, death is a requisite part of life, chi feeds chi, but at what point is taking of life no longer essential to survival?

No. Just the opposite. Logic drives morality. But it depends on langauge, which is ultimately empty of truth. So too is a logic of morality.
Thank you for the clarification. And I guess I can see the comment about "logic of morality" being empty of truth, in that every philosophy I have looked at seems to fall short at some point. Human logic is great at generalities, but it struggles with the details. (LOL, "the devil is in the details!" :D )

My apologies for not being quite as active lately, there is so much more I want to address, but time is precious right now, so I will have to participate as I can. Many thanks to all who are taking part in this discussion! :)

I said:
As morality is essetnailly seen as a human aspect, I don;t think it is ever inferred in the theory of evolution.

In terms of Sociobiology there may perhaps be an argument to be made that human morality itself is a direct development from the rules of interaction that govern social apes.

Hmmm ... I think this could be a rather vague term, and we need to define what we mean by "moral" behavior. Certainly some behaviors we might characterize as "moral," such as love and devotion to friends and family, assisting those weaker than oneself, seeking reconciliation after a disagreement, seeking to keep the peace within a community, a capacity for affection beyond one's immediate family, empathy for others, coming to the aid of another, even if they are not a relation, despite danger to oneself .. and these are just off the top of my head .. these behaviors have been seen in other animals, particularly in our non-human primate relations, great apes for sure, but also monkeys. Researchers are always struggling to find an evolutionary explanation for such behavior, how it might enhance the individual's "fitness" and various theories have been put forth. Generally, in primates, it is thought that, because they largely live in groups, these evolved, instinctive social behaviors are of benefit to all, though a particular individual might suffer and even die. We only say that such behavior is "moral" when we see a human primate doing it. :D

alexa said:
Regarding the nature, as a moral guide, I have an example in my head : an animal doesn't kill another one just for fun. It kills to survive.

Regards,

alexa

Chimps have been known to kill to protect their territory from intruders, even if the "intruder" is a single unknown chimp, and will frequently attack individuals perceived as "strange" ... and by this I don't simply mean "unknown" because chimps can and will accept some newcomers into their group, but rather the individual in question has some non-conformity, either physical or behavioral. I suppose this could loosely be characterized as a survival instinct, if it is taken as an effort to protect the group, it is certainly not done purely for fun, but this type of killing is definitely more complex than the usual killing for food we see in most other animals. There are elements of greed and intolerance ... again attributes we mainly think of as "human" but if you accept that humans are simply another animal that evolved in this world and that the great apes differ little from us genetically then you have to allow them a measure of both our good and bad qualities. The orangutans I work with certainly display a range of "human" qualities on a daily basis. :)

mandrill said:
(..) but if you accept that humans are simply another animal that evolved in this world and that the great apes differ little from us genetically then you have to allow them a measure of both our good and bad qualities. The orangutans I work with certainly display a range of "human" qualities on a daily basis. :)
I agree that humans are animals, on the top of the scale, but still animals. :D

Vajradhara said:
this, rather concisely, is the Buddhist teaching of Atman.... no permanently-existing, static self or soul :)
Namaste Vajradhara,

It seems I do have some affinities with the buddhist path after all. :D

Alexa

Kindest Regards, Alexa!

My sincerest apologies if it seems I have been neglecting your posts. I assure you, I have read them all, I just haven't the time to respond to them all.

alexa said:
You brought to our attention another aspect about the evolution of the morality of a human being, this time. I think you'll agree to the fact the human being is rather complex. The person I was yesterday won't be the same tomorrow. We change every day, till the end of our days.
This is a very good point to consider, and I think Vaj's response was valid and appropriate.

Oneness (Osho Rajneesh) :

I think this is a wonderful poem.

Here is one I found a long time ago:
God is not invisible!
God is not mutable or changeable!
God is so natural, He is super-natural.
God was/is/always will be.
God is in all, nothing exists without Him.
He created Light and Dark, Good and Evil, War and Peace, Greater and Lesser,
Upper and Lower, the Seen and the Unseen, Heaven, Earth and the Sea,
and all that in them is, and gave balance to ALL.
He created us for His pleasure, and granted us free will.
He also created Love.
He loves us, and has set us free.
We have the free will to Love Him, and return.
Or not.
God is in all.
All is not in God.

Every religion preaches that the essence of all morality is to do good to others. And why? Be unselfish. And why should I? Some God has said it? He is not for me. Some texts have declared it? Let them; that is nothing to me; let them all tell it. And if they do, what is it to me? Each one for himself, and somebody take the hinder-most-- that is all the morality in the world at least with many. What is the reason that I should be moral?

I think we touched on some of this, about selfishness and the like. As for why be moral? That is a good question, especially if there is nothing like a universal morality. Survival is the automatic answer I see, but that does not explain a mother's love for her child. :)

You cannot explain it except when you come to know the truth given in the Gita: "He who sees everyone in himself, and himself in everyone, thus seeing the same God living in all, he, the sage, no more kills the Self by the self." Know through Advaita that whosoever you hurt, you hurt yourself; they are all you. Whether you know it or not, through all hands you work, through all feet you move, you are the king enjoying in the palace, you are the beggar leading that miserable existence in the street; you are in the ignorant as well as in the learned, you are in the man who is weak, and you are in the strong; know this and be sympathetic. And that is why we must not hurt others.
This seems to be in agreement with Abogado earlier, about seeing himself in others and others in himself. I must say though, it would seem to be much easier to accept being the king in the palace than the beggar on the street. If all else is equal, I'd rather be king any day.

That is why I do not even care whether I have to starve, because there will be millions of mouths eating at the same time, and they are all mine. Therefore I should not care what becomes of me and mine, for the whole universe is mine, I am enjoying all the bliss at the same time; and who can kill me or the universe? Herein is morality.

The above passage is from the book Living At The Source Yoga Teachings of Swami Vivekananda

Something here just doesn't sound right, at least to a logical mind. A million mouths may be eating, but if yours is not one of them, you do not survive. As a poem, this is a beautiful thought. :) As logic, it is seriously lacking, and sounds more like propaganda to console the miserable masses. I mean no offense, it just doesn't seem rational to me. Perhaps that is why Vaj keeps telling me I do not understand the Eastern mind...:D
I agree that humans are animals, on the top of the scale, but still animals. :D
Ah! A while back we had a wonderful contributor who posted a lot into a discussion of evolution. She was very insistent on pointing out to me that it is human arrogance to assume we are "on the top of the scale." In other words, we may be animals, clever ones at that, but do we really have the right to assume we are on the top of the scale, and why? Strength?, there are stronger. Speed?, there are faster. Size?, there are larger. Brains?, ah! here is perhaps the only serious distinction between us and the rest of nature. (And by some of what I have seen cross my path, I am not sure brains always count for much! :D )

What value does other life hold, in relation to ours?
For as much as I solicit Vaj's input, and the great deal I have learned from him, I am inclined to think that a lot of us around here have a little buddhist within. ;) Some of us just enjoy eating rice gruel! :D

juantoo3 said:
Kindest Regards, Alexa!

Ah! A while back we had a wonderful contributor who posted a lot into a discussion of evolution. She was very insistent on pointing out to me that it is human arrogance to assume we are "on the top of the scale." In other words, we may be animals, clever ones at that, but do we really have the right to assume we are on the top of the scale, and why? Strength?, there are stronger. Speed?, there are faster. Size?, there are larger. Brains?, ah! here is perhaps the only serious distinction between us and the rest of nature. (And by some of what I have seen cross my path, I am not sure brains always count for much! :D )

Yeah, I noted this too, but was not going to get into that debate. :) But since you brought it up ...

The idea that humans are at "the top of the scale" falls back to the old idea of the "Great Chain of Being," where all of life is advancing towards human. Trouble is that all these other "lower" life forms are still around (well, not all, but many) - they did not disappear, unnecessary, after humans showed up. (This is actually an argument used by some to disprove evolution, not understanding how things really work) Nowadays it is accepted that modern humans may be at the top of their scale, but foxes and goats and cockroaches and rabbits and chimpanzees and so on and so forth are also at the top of *theirs,* though all of us continue to change and will evolve further in time if the environmental pressures are great enough (and not severe enough to kill us.) Actually, cockroaches may very well be at the top of all scales .. heh heh .. seemingly able to survive anything, live virtually anywhere with no technology needed, and multiply quickly .. but that's another topic.

What humans have done, to their distinct advantage at present, is to focus their evolution quite heavily on the forebrain, to the point where it is relied on almost exclusively for survival. For example, we can live virtually anywhere because we were able to figure out how to alter the environment around us in various ways. Of course, if you look at other animal groups, intelligence specific to their needs is always an advantage, and probably has a domino effect .. for example, smarter prey being able to better alude predators and reproduce, leading to the smarter predators being best able to survive and reproduce, and so on and so forth. But, somehow, humans have taken this general race to be the smartest one on the block to a new and more general level .. being able to successfully compete and, usually, win, against any other species they encounter. Its no wonder we get arrogant. ;) Still, for all our brains, we have yet to figure out how to stop actions that could eventually wipe us out, like ruining our natural environment, over-running our resource base, etc and so forth. In the end, the quieter, "dumber" species that seem to be able to live in better harmony with their environments may prove hardier. We are really quite specialized after all, and that usually proves to be a disadvantage.

Kindest Regards, Mandrill, and again welcome!

It is a pleasure to have someone approach this discussion with a little better understanding of animal psychology.

mandrill said:
we need to define what we mean by "moral" behavior.
You might be on to something. I hadn't realized until Abogado's recent post that morality can hold so much intrinsic meaning to different people. From time to time, we have discussed "law," perhaps better defined as formal morality or religion. But that was not my intent at all at the beginning. By "morality," I meant the instinctive understanding of what one ought or ought not do in given situations. I am attempting to discover if this is "universal" or simply learned behavior.

Certainly some behaviors we might characterize as "moral," such as love and devotion to friends and family, assisting those weaker than oneself, seeking reconciliation after a disagreement, seeking to keep the peace within a community, a capacity for affection beyond one's immediate family, empathy for others, coming to the aid of another, even if they are not a relation, despite danger to oneself .. and these are just off the top of my head .. these behaviors have been seen in other animals, particularly in our non-human primate relations, great apes for sure, but also monkeys.
Surely, the bulk of these examples are found throughout social animals, from elephants and whales down to (perhaps a lesser degree) ants and bees.

Do you see love as simply a form of "moral," not a distinct and separate thing unto itself?

Researchers are always struggling to find an evolutionary explanation for such behavior, how it might enhance the individual's "fitness" and various theories have been put forth.
Indeed. As there are other academics that question whether morality is a valid path for science to explore. Is all human behavior rightly to be reduced to evolutionary sources? If so, then is nature a valid source to turn to for moral examples? If not, then do we look to ourselves? Or perhaps beyond ourselves?

Generally, in primates, it is thought that, because they largely live in groups, these evolved, instinctive social behaviors are of benefit to all, though a particular individual might suffer and even die. We only say that such behavior is "moral" when we see a human primate doing it. :D
I can see this, survival of the individual is better achieved, at least among social animals, through strength in numbers.

The thought just occured to me, why then do we (humans) nurse our wounded and sick? There may be examples in nature, but I am unaware of any. Animals typically end the suffering of one of their own, usually in an unkind manner.

Chimps have been known to kill to protect their territory from intruders, even if the "intruder" is a single unknown chimp, and will frequently attack individuals perceived as "strange"
I have heard of such things, yet I cannot help but wonder what example it teaches humanity. I have thought for a while now that "war" began when the first single-celled creature attacked and ate another.

Even in looking at human morality, it is not improper to say that it is confined to the group (however large that may be), and outsiders are not generally granted the same moral courtesy. Which would explain why such as war still exists, even while so many cultures teach some variation of "thou shalt not murder."

but this type of killing is definitely more complex than the usual killing for food we see in most other animals. There are elements of greed and intolerance ...
True, but I don't think confined to simians. I have heard of such killing among many other types of animals, ridding the "herd" of undesirables. In some cases, I cannot help but wonder if is it simple chance and opportunity, as a jealous male mountain lion attacking and killing a cub. I have seen chickens turn on an injured chicken and peck it to death. Are such as these valid moral examples for modern human society?

again attributes we mainly think of as "human" but if you accept that humans are simply another animal that evolved in this world and that the great apes differ little from us genetically then you have to allow them a measure of both our good and bad qualities.
Yet it seems at some point in history humanity made a paradigm leap in moral development. This is not to imply that all humans are at all times moral, certainly we all fail from time to time. But I like to believe we collectively strive for a higher ideal than even the apes. I suppose a great deal of the discussion has been whether or not I am only being wishful or hopeful in this assessment.

The orangutans I work with certainly display a range of "human" qualities on a daily basis. :)
It sounds like you have a very interesting job! :)

I do wonder though, if we have a tendency to anthropomorphize animal behavior, of presuming human tendencies in animals?

Thank you very much for your contribution, I look forward to more as time allows! :)

juantoo3 said:
Kindest Regards, Mandrill, and again welcome!
Thank you for making me feel so welcome as I fumble my way through these discussions, it is a pleasure to be here. :)

juantoo3 said:
You might be on to something. I hadn't realized until Abogado's recent post that morality can hold so much intrinsic meaning to different people. From time to time, we have discussed "law," perhaps better defined as formal morality or religion. But that was not my intent at all at the beginning. By "morality," I meant the instinctive understanding of what one ought or ought not do in given situations. I am attempting to discover if this is "universal" or simply learned behavior.
Hmm .. when you speak of understanding what one ought to do, that seems to imply a degree of conscious thought on the matter, while "instinctual" tends to imply the opposite. I think, if there is a distinction at all to be made between human "morality" and that of other animals it would have to be in the degree of consciousness involved .. in the deliberate choice of one behavior over another. I think an argument could be made that some other animals, at least, do make choices regarding how to treat specific individuals, while others act and react purely on instinct. I don't know that I'd agree that "morality" as we tend to view it is instinctual at all .. when we speak of someone being a moral person we usually admire them for that, and our admiration is usually not given to behaviors that one has no control over.

This is perhaps being picky about terminology though, as I do understand what you mean - humans tend to know right from wrong and then choose between them. However, I wonder if an infant, never schooled from day one by parents as to proper behavior, would have such a capacity to choose. We might feel that morality is instinctual simply because we began to be taught its basic tenets so early we cannot recall ever not knowing them.

That still leaves the question about those behaviors that we normally characterize as "moral" being seen in other animals who have less capacity to instruct their young in such details. Perhaps we'd have to say that the capacity for moral behavior and choosing this course above another is somehow inherited, but perhaps humans have expanded on the basic structure in some way?

juantoo3 said:
Do you see love as simply a form of "moral," not a distinct and separate thing unto itself?
I think that loving behavior, or any act of solitation and kindness towards another, is usually thought of as "moral." Love rarely exists in a vacuum that leads to no outward expression .. "love" as a pure feeling though, without conrresponding actions, if we can actually isolate such a thing, would perhaps be something different. Certainly loving someone, or loving everything, can act as a catalyst for certain behavior choices. I guess it would be impossible to tell if someone really loves you without their displaying certain behaviors towards you consistently, and not others. The only love we can be sure exists before it is expressed in action is what we feel inside ourselves, I would think.

juantoo3 said:
The thought just occured to me, why then do we (humans) nurse our wounded and sick? There may be examples in nature, but I am unaware of any. Animals typically end the suffering of one of their own, usually in an unkind manner.
If by nursing you mean we attempt to heal them that is probably a unique human trait, although I cannot say for certain that some of the apes don't attempt this. If you simply mean behave in a kind manner towards the infirm, assisting them to keep up with the group or obtain food and so prolonging the time until they actually succumb, then there have been many examples of this in other animals. You will see such behavior in primates especially but I recall a documentary on meerkats I once watched where the entire group would slow their pace to accomodate an aged and sick individual that had been with them all of her life. Again, this curtesy is more likely to be extended to group members, rather than outsiders, while humans, some of them at least, have been known to make no distinction towards who they assist.

juantoo3 said:
Even in looking at human morality, it is not improper to say that it is confined to the group (however large that may be), and outsiders are not generally granted the same moral courtesy. Which would explain why such as war still exists, even while so many cultures teach some variation of "thou shalt not murder."
Yes indeed, for most of us this is true. However, perhaps here is one more way we can separate true mortality to simply acting in the best interest of one's group, which could be an inherited trait. I don't know that I'd agree that someone who treats members of his own group with special kindness, then thinks nothing of distaining and even killing members of another group as a true "moral" being. It always troubled me to see our political leaders telling us that "God is on our side" when speaking of going to war with another group, as if this other group were not made up of human beings like ourselves, with the same qualities, good and bad, as ourselves. It always struck me that the true moral choice would be to seek an alternative to killing them .. although that does get complex, particularly when you look at some forms of government that appear to routinely display cruelty to their citizens, and ridding these people of such a government might certainly be characterized as a kindness.

juantoo3 said:
Yet it seems at some point in history humanity made a paradigm leap in moral development. This is not to imply that all humans are at all times moral, certainly we all fail from time to time. But I like to believe we collectively strive for a higher ideal than even the apes. I suppose a great deal of the discussion has been whether or not I am only being wishful or hopeful in this assessment.
I think I tend to agree with you here. I would say that it is the degree of conscious choice involved that separates us, however, rather than in some larger capacity for such behaviors .. the striving for a higher ideal is likely a direct consequence of this complex brain of ours, perhaps in more than one way, as, besides having a greater capacity to think about and, of course, debate such things, we also, many of us, have more leisure time to ponder these issues, not being so preoccupied with the daily struggle to merely survive.

juantoo3 said:
I do wonder though, if we have a tendency to anthropomorphize animal behavior, of presuming human tendencies in animals?
Ah yes .. that argument is always put forth whenever one suggests that humans are not truly unique. All I can say to this is to remind you of the basic facts of genetics .. humans are not so different, genetically, than the great apes or even the other primates. Chimpanzees have 99% of our DNA, orangutans around 97%. If we accept that some capacity for behavior, emotions, and all the other components that influence behavior, do have a genetic base, would it not be truly odd not to find these behaviors in other primates? It seems to me that science always strives for the most simple explanation for observations, yet in the case of behaviors displayed that seem identical to human many of us opt for more complex theories, in order to preserve our specialness at all costs. :) If I say that my cat runs to me when I get home because she loves me and not because she is hungry then I may certainly be anthropomorphizing. However, if I tell you that our teenaged orang boy is sulking because he did not get to go outside that day and most likely will be in a bad mood for most of the day so watch out .. that is a fact I've observed enough times (teenaged boys sulking is a true universal trait I think) to be quite comfortable in asserting. :D

Oh dear, look at the time .. I think I need to avoid reading this forum before I need to be somewhere. :eek:

alexa said:
Namaste Vajradhara,

Alexa
Namatse Alexa,

it's a point of view concerning things... not really a belief system.. though it certainly has that element as well :)

as an aside... i often wonder how much of our religious view, or lack thereof, is determined by the world view that the culture we are raised in.

i'm in a bit of a disadvantage in this bit of the discussion as i was raised in a different culture than the one that i live in now... so i suppose my curiosity is more towards those beings that have only known one cultural view and how that may have shaped or formed thier opinions about morality or God or ethics and so forth.

Juan, thank you for the reminder... i'm off to have some rice gruel myself ;)

Kindest Regards, Vajradhara!

As always, it is a pleasure to have your insight added to the conversation!

Vajradhara said:
as an aside... i often wonder how much of our religious view, or lack thereof, is determined by the world view that the culture we are raised in.
Certainly. The overall philosophy of a given culture and society would have to influence the outlook of a given individual, I would think. Even if an individual were to "rebel," and choose another system to guide him/her, as long as his/her mother's voice still echoes inside, there would be some residual from the former culture. The person may choose to ignore those echoes, but they are as much a part of that person as the air s/he breathes and the water s/he drinks.

i'm in a bit of a disadvantage in this bit of the discussion as i was raised in a different culture than the one that i live in now... so i suppose my curiosity is more towards those beings that have only known one cultural view and how that may have shaped or formed thier opinions about morality or God or ethics and so forth.
Aw, Vaj! I have seen you argue the validity of your path across and through evolutionary thought, and I have seen you demonstrate the validity of ethical action in a number of philosophical scenarios. I would think this a wonderful opportunity to bring it all together. At the time your voice is needed, you choose to remain silent?

I agree that silence among fools is wise; but when the voice of a teacher is needed, and the students hear nothing, then nothing is learned. :)

Vajradhara said:
Namaste Vajradhara,

I was raised in an eastern orthodox religion, so imagine my surprise when I did Brian's test and found I was 100 % a quaker and 100 % UU. Not that I was completly convinced about my mother's path, still a surprise there were others with same convictions. So, I began my reaserch about quakers and joined recently a board discussion. I don't know way, but my instinct rejects Unitarian Universalism completly.

Have you ever heard about Alexandra David Neel ? She was a French exploratrice and had spent many years in Tibet. I have just finished a book written by her assistant, Marie Madeleine Peyronnet. It seems she had a lot of character and she was very proud about it. I have other two books to read, this time she's the author : one about buddisme of Budda and the other one about mystiques and magicians of Tibet. Should be interesting.

Regards,

Alexa

juantoo3 said:
My sincerest apologies if it seems I have been neglecting your posts. I assure you, I have read them all, I just haven't the time to respond to them all.
Dear Juan,

I have to appology too. I was afraid you would be discouraged about Abogado's posts, so I had chosen to be a little provocative just to encourage you to reply. I'm sorry if I didn't understand well between the lines.

Where does the poem God is not invisible came from ? I like it.

This seems to be in agreement with Abogado earlier, about seeing himself in others and others in himself. I must say though, it would seem to be much easier to accept being the king in the palace than the beggar on the street. If all else is equal, I'd rather be king any day.

:D I think you are not the only one.

Ah! A while back we had a wonderful contributor who posted a lot into a discussion of evolution. She was very insistent on pointing out to me that it is human arrogance to assume we are "on the top of the scale." In other words, we may be animals, clever ones at that, but do we really have the right to assume we are on the top of the scale, and why?

Oh, my ! I wonder where my head was when I wrote that ! :D

Regards,

Alexa

Kindest Regards, Mandrill!

Thank you for your response!
mandrill said:
This is perhaps being picky about terminology though, as I do understand what you mean - humans tend to know right from wrong and then choose between them. However, I wonder if an infant, never schooled from day one by parents as to proper behavior, would have such a capacity to choose. We might feel that morality is instinctual simply because we began to be taught its basic tenets so early we cannot recall ever not knowing them.
This is valid. Helen Keller comes to mind, and while I am not well versed in the story, I understand it was a challenge up to a point to teach her, and then suddenly it all made sense and she went on to become the woman we celebrate today. The studies I have heard of dealing with separating infants (human and animal) from their mothers and placing them in "sterile" environments with no genuine outside contact seem to end in disaster for the infant. There is so much an infant gains from the tactile sensation of touch, and a "mother's love", that an infant literally withers and dies without it.

Perhaps we'd have to say that the capacity for moral behavior and choosing this course above another is somehow inherited, but perhaps humans have expanded on the basic structure in some way?
Perhaps. Then again, perhaps the basic structure was expanded for us?

I think that loving behavior, or any act of solitation and kindness towards another, is usually thought of as "moral." Love rarely exists in a vacuum that leads to no outward expression .. "love" as a pure feeling though, without conrresponding actions, if we can actually isolate such a thing, would perhaps be something different.
Oh, I agree that love can generate moral action. I just see love as an independent operation aside from moral action. One can love a person, and hate what they are doing or even what they represent. That old love/hate thing. Interesting though, we can (and often do) hurt those we love by immoral action. And we can "hate" something like a chicken, but love to eat it for dinner. A rather profound paradox...

I guess it would be impossible to tell if someone really loves you without their displaying certain behaviors towards you consistently, and not others.
I am inclined to disagree. People that love me often cause me hurt and grief. It is not (necessarily) intentional, but it happens. Humans will be humans. Whereas people who do not know me, and therefore do not know to love me, do not (directly) cause me grief. People who deliberately intend to cause me grief usually make themselves known by their actions.

The only love we can be sure exists before it is expressed in action is what we feel inside ourselves, I would think.
Internal expression of love is the only we have to gauge with. It works in our self, so we know it exists and it works. We can only guess at how it works in others, and on a larger scale (natural/world level, and universal level).

If by nursing you mean we attempt to heal them
Yes. So I am guessing that, like humans, there is an arbitrary factor to morality, even among animals?

However, perhaps here is one more way we can separate true mortality to simply acting in the best interest of one's group, which could be an inherited trait.
Um, did I miss something? I would be very interested in hearing what other way you had in mind.

I don't know that I'd agree that someone who treats members of his own group with special kindness, then thinks nothing of distaining and even killing members of another group as a true "moral" being.
I can see how you might say this, but do you see how this is your individual interpretation? There are those philosophies that hold there are no "good or bad" actions, and there are those philosophies that hold that expediency is the ultimate "good" (a little bad now for greater good tomorrow!), and there are philosophies that range all in between the extremes. No matter the philosophy though, it seems to me (and here I could well be mistaken) that individuals hold within themselves certain internal guidelines for moral behavior. Most act using those guidelines (internal and external), some choose to ignore or subvert them. I think we all, from time to time, give in to our animal urges at the expense of our moral guidelines. But for socio/cultural reasons practically all of us return to our moral guidelines, and for internal reasons we all justify our actions as being moral. This may be a psychological safety valve of some kind, but in extreme situations I would think it creates a distorted view of the world around.

I can see how an individual, especially in the context of a society, would conform to the generalities of a cultural philosophy, but in the details it is left to him/her. Where the detail conflicts with the generality, the individual is in psychological (super-ego) conflict, and for sanity would resolve the situation in whatever manner seemed best. It is in these individual internal interpretations of morality that I see the potential for a universal morality, an "outside" source guiding us.

I have also been struggling with a comment Abogado made a little while back, about the "morality vs expediency" of advertising, specifically inciting internal conflict, creating desire instead of contentment (my words, and perhaps not fully accurate translation). Let us consider; "we" know "right from wrong," but we get a certain pleasure from "wrong." Behavioral psychology is concerned with motivating people to do something; in the case of advertising, to buy a product. A company cannot sell morality, people will not buy. A person who believes they can influence the public to their brand of morality through business is mistaken. A (relatively) good business does not try to sway the public, that is far too difficult. Instead, that business responds to the public, and adapts as necessary.

Why does Hollywood create so many movies that exemplify immoral or unmoral behaviour? Because the public enjoys these forays into their id, there is a certain pleasure in being naughty, in being animalistic. The movies that embrace and promote a moral overture have a really tough sell, and as a rule do not do well at all. We want to see people in moral conflict, and live vicariously through them for two hours at a time. We do not want to see "peace and harmony," peace and harmony do not sell because people do not want to buy. It becomes a feedback loop, Hollywood gives us what we want, and as our children grow up seeing these things (especially if there is no genuine formal moral teaching in the home) they begin to assume that moral conflict is the rule, not the exception. More and more, we tend to embrace immoral behaviour as "natural and normal," and a new standard is created in our societies. Ultimately, we do it to ourselves, Hollywood is merely the vehicle.

Here, I have picked on Hollywood as the example, but truth be told, it permeates Western culture, and through globalism is advancing across the world. Good or bad? time will tell, but it is the course of evolution for humans for the next hundred years or so.

It always troubled me to see our political leaders telling us that "God is on our side" when speaking of going to war with another group, as if this other group were not made up of human beings like ourselves, with the same qualities, good and bad, as ourselves. It always struck me that the true moral choice would be to seek an alternative to killing them .. although that does get complex, particularly when you look at some forms of government that appear to routinely display cruelty to their citizens, and ridding these people of such a government might certainly be characterized as a kindness.
OH boy! I really could go on about this, and ultimately I can agree with you, except perhaps in the details. I would rather not elaborate, please, because I would rather leave the political components out as a courtesy to our host. I do not mind including war in a generic, conceptual sense, but anything more concrete I must leave aside because of a promise I made to myself when I joined here.

I would say that it is the degree of conscious choice involved that separates us, however, rather than in some larger capacity for such behaviors
I can see this, because humans are considered the only creatures that hold conscious, rational thought, so by default this would seem apparent. I am inclined to think that some other animals do have flashes of conscious thought, and not just simians. A dog or cat amusing themselves with a toy, for instance. Perhaps this feeds into what Vaj calls "sentience."

.. the striving for a higher ideal is likely a direct consequence of this complex brain of ours, perhaps in more than one way, as, besides having a greater capacity to think about and, of course, debate such things, we also, many of us, have more leisure time to ponder these issues, not being so preoccupied with the daily struggle to merely survive.
I have been meaning to pull up two pieces of research that intrigue me concerning animal (and by extention, human) social and mental development, but I have been pressed for time.

The one piece was a Russian experiment in which foxes were domesticated. What I was looking into at that time dealt with morphology of domestic dogs, so I laid the research aside and misplaced it, so I am going to attempt to remember the results. At first, the foxes acted as caged wild animals would, being suspicious of the handlers. But over time and a few generations, as the survival requirements diminished (search for food and shelter, as well defense mechanisms), the animals became more and more tame, and began to adopt more domestic attributes. In the space of a few generations, the psychological outlook and temperament changed.

I didn't put a great deal of emphasis on this research until I stumbled upon a piece that suggested that human psychology had a paradigm shift with the advent of agriculture. While the research suggested an addiction to grain as the source, the shift from hunter/gatherer to agriculture created a completely different mindset, effectively domesticating humans. Agriculture provided the means for free time. Since, historically in Mesopotamia and a couple of other places, walled cities and other construction were developed, as well as technologies such as the wheel and cloth, in relative conjuction with agriculture, it would seem to me that rational thought expanded exponentially at that time.

Yet, morality already existed. It was formalized during the advent of agriculture (the Code of Hammurabi being an example), but the requirements of being social animals necessitated some elemental morality long before agriculture. The cave paintings at Lasceaux (sp?) suggest social cooperation, as does simian evolution, both of which suggest an elemental morality. But morality in the formal sense seems to stem from the advent of agriculture.

Here though, it is difficult to equate formal morality with religion. The cave paintings suggest a form of nature worship, implying an elemental religion that predates formal morality. Religion, in some basic sense, existed prior to agriculture. Why? What precipitated human belief that "he" could manipulate the environment around him to do his bidding? It is too easy to blame the frontal lobe. I find it difficult to envision a human simply imagining the concept of spirit, especially in the context of a hunter/gatherer society. Rather, I see some firm example that set a standard so to speak, although I have no idea what that example might have been.

Ah yes .. that argument (anthropomorphization) is always put forth whenever one suggests that humans are not truly unique. All I can say to this is to remind you of the basic facts of genetics .. humans are not so different, genetically, than the great apes or even the other primates.
Actually, I got it from psych 101, which also pointed out the similarities between humans and apes. And it also extrapolated human mental development from animal sources, so I would think the two can co-exist. The idea is to exercise caution in making such presumptions.

I would question the percentage numbers concerning simian genetics, those I have seen from researchers directly involved with the genome mapping project suggest somewhat lower numbers (although still quite high), but to argue that would take away from the discussion at hand.

Oh dear, look at the time .. I think I need to avoid reading this forum before I need to be somewhere. :eek:
I find myself in that predicament a lot. This forum is addicting, isn't it? :D

Kindest Regards, Alexa!

Thank you!

alexa said:
I have to appology too. I was afraid you would be discouraged about Abogado's posts, so I had chosen to be a little provocative just to encourage you to reply. I'm sorry if I didn't understand well between the lines.
I am encouraged you are so thoughtful towards me, thanks!

Actually, I enjoy difficult questions, it makes me consider my position. And I am not so set in my ways that I cannot see when I am mistaken, although it might take a little time to absorb.

Where does the poem God is not invisible came from ? I like it.
Thanks. Uh, well...I wrote it, a long time ago.

Oh, my ! I wonder where my head was when I wrote that ! :D
No harm, no foul. Funny thing when you climb a mountain, your head gets in the clouds! It happens to all of us! :D

Back