Can belief in a higher power be combined with Evolution

I don't see Thomas as being... "uncharitable, ascerbic, and dodgy" (wow, what a strapline that is!) in this thread. I do find him ... an ultra, but, here, he's actually supporting your wild assertions, Andrew -- he's just saying it's not exclusive to Theosophy!

He's saying- theosophy is a bit poo, and to that, I must concur!

Or am I reading a different thread?

Thomas isn't really that bad. He can be a bit eccentric (well, a lot of us are like that too:rolleyes:), but that's just his way.:) You won't necessarily get what you want from a discussion with Thomas unless you know how to look for it. Some people just like arguing with him. AndrewX is sort of like ..... the same guy with a different slant.:D ..... except that he seems more cynical.

Every time I take Thomas off my ignore list, I regret it. I just pray I don't have to handle too many of his casualities in the future.

Seriously though, it is difficult to deal with someone whose shortcomings are truly based on - ignorance. Not ignorance in the pejorative sense, as in, looking down my nose [which is better kept to the grindstone anyway ... SOURCE of this figure of speech, anyone?] ... rather, NESCIENCE.

Thomas simply does not have some of the experiences, either of the things he himself believes in, OR of the things that others of us [whether as Theosophists, Gnostics, or what-have-you] believe in ... and this makes it awfully annoying when he tries to shoot down alternate interpretations and explanations for either the former, or the latter.

For example, some of us may know Thomas plenty well from another ~ of his appearances. Yet this man will flat deny the Universal Doctrine of Rebirth. Thomas, if your HIGHER POWER does not find it useful and necessary for you to accept such, then that is fine. I have no issues, no qualms, with that relationship between you and [your interpretation of, acceptance of, relationship with] God.

Just don't come telling me that your experiences, and your spiritual relationship, is the yardstick for the rest of us. I will do the same, but I will NOT HESITATE to show you that in fact, Rebirth is a Teaching and a Doctrine UNIVERSAL to all the world's great religions. You will have the uphill battle if you wish to argue this one.

Likewise, the Creationist who blabbers on about a 4,000 year old planet, will not make much progress with the rest of us. Eventually, I would put such folks on my ignore list just like Thomas ... except I would probably never be inclined to take them off again!

What I mean is, you reduce it to a 'figure of speech' that you choose either to accept or ridicule as you will, whereas tradition, and indeed many philosophers, regard metaphor and myth, and the symbol, as ascending to places where language cannot rise.

And again my point ... those scriptural metaphors you elect to embrace, 'kingdom within' etc., can all be grouped under the heading of 'self-serving' and egocentric exegesis, whereas those metaphors that refute such ideas, that place the human person as being utterly dependent for his being on God, you reject.

Really? Then why is one of the only two pre-programmed fears in the human instinct, that of falling?

God bless,

Thomas
Ah we all have our scriptures we embrace and then ones that ...not so much... but as to the metaphor and mythology being the high bar...that you can't get all wrapped around it with your brain...it has to be your heart, and what you've grocked you cannot explain... exactly why the two of us can't see eye to eye....neither of us can accurately explain our mystical experience to the other...so be it.

tis funny when you prefer to tell me what I reject, and what I believe, rather than describing your own alternatives....but again....so be it.

But 'in him I move and breathe and have my being' surely I'm dependent and interdependent and utlizing free will and all the gifts provided...heck I can't even get over my version of anthropomorphism, that of laying protected in the bosom of spirt, gotta luv it my brother as your darts can't harm me!

Hi Wil —
tis funny when you prefer to tell me what I reject, and what I believe, rather than describing your own alternatives....but again....so be it.
But I have! Although, not for a while now ...

We believe this:
"This plan of Revelation is realised by deeds and words having in inner unity: the deeds wrought by God in the history of salvation manifest and confirm the teaching and realities signified by the words, while the words proclaim the deeds and clarify the mystery contained in them. By this revelation then, the deepest truth about God and the salvation of man shines out for our sake in Christ, who is both the mediator and the fullness of all revelation."
Dei Verbum, paragraph 2.

So for me Baptism and the Eucharist are the Alpha and the Omega of Christian experience ... the Sacraments are not just words ... The Liturgy is something not confined to the time and space in which it occurs.

On more than one occasion you have said the Liturgy and the Eucharist are just words ...

At the heart of Christianity for me stand two mysteries: the Trinity and the Incarnation; the Mystery of the Incarnation rises in the Mystery of the Trinity and reveals it, the Mystery of the Trinity reveals the vocation of the Cosmos.

But 'in him I move and breathe and have my being' surely I'm dependent and interdependent and utlizing free will and all the gifts provided...
Absolutely, but I have always read Unity as interpreting 'in him I live and move and have our being' by conflating 'him' and 'I' to be the same thing?

I refer to Scripture and Christ's words: 'without me you can do nothing', or even more the words spoken to Catherine of Siena "I am He Who Is, you are she who is not"

Which I think shapes the whole disposition of the soul/self towards its Creator in the Christian tradition.

Thus 'far greater things shall ye do' and indeed we shall 'move mountains', but by His power, and according to Hs will, not under our own steam. He accomplishes the work, our co-operation is our assent to the work to be done, and that marks His grace towards us, and our supreme dignity as His creature — not even angels can match that.

Jesus says 'follow me' ...

God bless,

Thomas

To better understand natural selection, the first approach used by Darwin to explain it was the argument from domestication in order to disprove the immutability of species. Here's an example I drew from Richard Dawkin's The Greatest Show on Earth: Wolves have been sculpted by breeders into around two hundred breeds of dogs. Throughout the time lapse of a mere few centuries of artificial selection, a difference as significant as those between a Chihuahua and Great Dane have occurred. What is being sculpted here is the gene pool of a given breed or species. The breeder may desire to "shorten the snouts of future generations of boxers" by selecting which dogs should be mated together. Genes ("lengths of DNA codes") are shuffled like a deck of cards to the next offspring, reshuffled yet again with the following offspring, and so on and so on. This principle of shuffling accounts for the variations seen in species all around us. Natural selection, however, with no awareness, with no particular desire, shares the same process as artificial selection--only no human being is doing the selecting; nature does it by selecting those that are the fittest to survive. Clearly, gene pools are central to neo-Darwinism. They can be subtracted from and added to.

Is this understanding of natural selection correct?

Natural selection is a mindless, purposeless process, to quote Daniel Denett. It's totally blind. Since natural selection does the creating, there is no need for a designer. So it is we have reductionists like Michael Ruse saying: "The whole is composed of nothing but its parts . . . An organism is nothing but the molecules of which it is made." What I don't understand from the "nothing butters'" position is why they can't look at evolution holistically. I must be an antireductionist. It seems like taking things apart is an inadequate approach to entirely understand evolution. It also seems logical that beings are becoming more and more aware. While I'm aware that that organisms can become less complex, others (for example, humans!) become increasingly complex. Robert Wright writes:
To the extent that we can judge from an imperfect fossil record, the growth in brain size—from Australopithe­cus africanus to Homo habilis to Homo erectus to early Homo sapiens to modern Homo sapiens—is brisk, with no signs of backtracking and lit­tle in the way of pauses. It looks for all the world like 3 million years of pretty persistent brain expansion.
What I'm confused about is evolution can lead to less complexity, increasing complexity, or simply leave the universe with a static species with very few changes over millions and millions of years. WHY? The fact that living organisms arose somehow out of inorganic matter is very telling, I think, because I tend to interpret evolution as progressive. If you look over a vast, vast period of time, doesn't this appear to be so? Perhaps things can hop off of the progressive track, but this does not mean that something is not always on the progressive track.

Ahanu, good point about the holistic view. Why did organic systems not reach stability. One possible answer is that the world is chaotic, so every time it changes any life that has reached stability is suddenly over specialized and dies. If that is the case than the survivors are not the fittest but the weakest of the fittest. Essentially whatever creature is the most borish, lazy, temperamental and socially needy survives the best. :)

Your position is riddled with contradictions — you rubbish myth and metaphor, then quote myth and metaphor at me, you elect to allow these metaphors because they suit your agenda, you disallow those because they don't ... so in effect you use Scripture where it can be interpreted to validate a position, and ignore those bits of Scripture that don't, by a process that's completely arbitrary.

Isn't that entirely normal among Christians? I mean, seriously, I don't think I've seen a Christian make an argument without picking and choosing. And always, always, they can justify the process to themselves if not everybody else.

But that's the process of faith. And the process of Interfaith is to accept that, whether we entirely believe it as acceptable or no, we can accept the other person's view with respect.

As someone sagely pointed out in one of the Jewish threads, we bring peace to the world not by correcting those who do different, but by accepting that what is different may actually be right.

Isn't that entirely normal among Christians?
One of the touchpoints of Catholic doctrine (and I would say Orthodox, too), is its holistic and organic nature — everything accords and relates to everything else — too often, in modern interpretations of Christianity, threads are picked from the fabric, to use a metaphor, and the garment is thrown away.

As I have said elsewhere, I don't contend with Buddhists or Brahmins ... but I will contest with those who attempt to turn Christianity to their own favour and their own ends, and most of those denominations have arisen in the US, where religion is treated as a consumable, just like everything else.

Creations in America, for example, are doing significant damage to the reputation of Christianity generally, and I myself face people who assume I am a creationist because I'm Catholic — so I will content with creationists.

God bless,

Thomas

Thomas said:
but I will contest with those who attempt to turn Christianity to their own favour and their own ends
I believe your own tradition set the track record on that one, Thomas.

And while some may be fooled by all the pomp & circumstance, gold candlesticks and cathedrals ... most folks can see by now that the emperor HAS NO CLOTHES.

but I will contest with those who attempt to turn Christianity to their own favour and their own ends

Every church does that, including the Catholic Church. What I dislike is when someone tells me, "I know what it means better than you do. If your view is different to mine, then your view is wrong," without justifying why their view is so much more "correct" and "rational" than mine.

Those who support the official and established position turn Christianity in their own favour and their own ends. Just because you have an organisation that regards itself as "Christianity" doesn't mean that anyone who disagrees with that organisation about a particular issue in "Christianity" is wrong. It doesn't matter if it's another church or just an informed layperson.

Everybody is turning Christianity to "their favour" and I see nothing wrong with that. What I do not agree with is when someone claims to have a better reason for doing it than anyone else.

You know, I was thinking, I think Thomas is right that Creationists - whether in America or elsewhere - are doing themselves and others a disservice ... but it's not just because they misrepresent Christianity. They also misrepresent science. What we end up hearing is the familiar false dichotomy of Creationism vs. Evolutionary THEORY (as some are keen to call it).

Most of us know good and well that the scientific teaching of evolution has, itself, evolved MUCH since it was originally presented in modern form by Alfred Wallace and Charles Darwin in the middle of the 19th century. The ancient Greeks were also evolutionists, Aristotle being a foremost scientist in his day, helping to guide the thinking of his peers [I mean real thought], soliciting inquiry regarding how we study and classify flora & fauna, and thus laying foundations for the future understanding of the world we live in.

But let's not confuse the scientific method, which does include empirical observation and the goal of producing measureable, repeatable evidence ... with any particular set of teachings, or theories, which we have posited about Nature, since these ideas and theories we know to always be subject to further revision as new studies are conducted, and new information becomes available for review.

Not everyone, as yet, can look out into the starry heavens and see, either with naked eye or even with powerful telescopes, PROOF that there is anything like Intelligent Design underlying all of Cosmos. But that does not mean that this is not the case.

Where such perceptions [as astronomers have every day] are lacking, it is quite understandable that the average citizen does not as frequently ponder the idea of the meaning and Purpose for all of existence ... unless s/he is of the contemplative, philosophical mindset.

But you see, we have just as many opportunities to ponder the verities, and to recognize the hand of the Creator, the proverbial John Hancock [the signature of the Divine in the HANDIWORK of the latter] ... if we observe the smallest ant, the ant building his anthill, or the majestic mountains in the distant landscape as they rise heavenward and remind of us of what human hands have not done.

Evolution, for those who understand something of its inner workings, is no blind process, either set in motion by a clockwork God [although this is the belief of Deists, and I certainly think they are on the right track!] ... or so imperfectly conceived as to require such Divine Intervention as many theologies are forced to invent, as they deviate further & further from the plausible and the observable.

Again, the signature of God is evident, and many a scientist has already affirmed this in her awe and appreciation of the ORDER apparent throughout all of Nature. We see this on every level, in the Macrocosm and in the micro ... in the DNA spiral and on sub-atomic levels as we come closer & closer to certain breakthroughs regarding the true nature of matter.

We do know, as you point out, Thomas, that a more accurate picture of the ESSEntial Nature of things is what Buddhists call Interbeing. In this, there is a HIGHER revealed in the lower [even in the least], just as we may soon also discover that in fact, Humanity is not so alone after all ... meaning that the evolutionary process will soon enough be shown as the RULE [or Law] governing all of Existence.

In the classrooms, we must stick to what we can presently defend, and although I admire what Dawkins says in likening the Creationist myth to something like Holocaust denial [Youtube link, from another IO thread], he is quite harsh in the treatment of the Faith card.

At the end of this short clip, Dawkins calls attention, not just to the American influence - as Thomas points out - but also to Islamist fundamentalism and the dangers of giving every crackpot idea under the sun equal airtime, all in the name of multiculturalism.

You see, this is where, as a student of the Ageless Wisdom, knowing full well that the ancients in some cases were FAR more enlightened regarding Spiritual Evolution, Higher Powers in both Nature and man, even pondering the raison d'etre for planets, stars and LIGHT ... I would say, YES, we need to be having these discussions ~

~ and not just so we can dismiss the notion of `equal airtime,' for although I quite agree that we must advance the scientific method as part of the FOUNDATION of Western society and a necessary mode of inquiry in the New Era, it is undoubtedly the case that additional lines of approach - to Wisdom, to knowledge, to Insight and moral evolution also exist.

These, thank GOODNESS, cannot squarely be gathered under the roof of one world religious tradition, or even among a collection of the most popular. They do not exist "in their purest form," these lines of approach, in some particular country, or within the sacred halls of any one man's familiar trappings and preferred style of WORSHIP.

America, you see, was founded on the notion that we have LIBERTY when it comes to matters such as this, along with the RIGHTS and privilege, so well enjoyed by participants in discussions such as this from every country [or so many], to EXPRESS our point of view ... provided we do so Responsibly and without violence & bloodshed.

In fact, whether in America or ANYWHERE ELSE in our world at the present time, it should be abundantly clear to anyone with a Conscience who is even halfway awake and paying attention, that certain ancient lines of conflict and OUTDATED ideologies or assumptions about human nature are being thoroughly put to the TEST.

It is clear to some, that either we EVOLVE through, and BECAUSE OF - rather than despite - the present conflict, or ... and some would feign pretend that the Cause and Effect relationship is not apparent ... Nature may wrap the matter up in Her own, tried and True, but sometimes cataclysmic fashion.

The stage is being set, the major Powers active in the world today are battling it out, and while scientists like Dawkins do have good points to make, they are still content to smirk at those who have the strength of religious Conviction on their side. I would agree with Dawkins, NOT that religionists are hallucinating, but only that there is often a MISinterpretation of what they have experienced. For, as often as one man experiences JESUS in his out of body experience, another has met MOHAMMED.

When these two cannot sit across a table and acknowledge that what was most important was the EXPERIENCE ITSELF and its implications for a possible, necessary and inevitable World PEACE [seems like a jump, but sometimes a LEAP OF FAITH is precisely what is required] ... I shudder to think of what further cataclysms may literally ROCK our world.

Either we get it together regarding this Higher Power thing tout de suite, or I have a feeling all of the HYPE that Hollywood has been feeding us regarding 2012 and Mayan Calendar catastrophes is going to start actually looking GOOD. :eek:

Yes, friends, the Yellowstone Caldera is still sitting there, just kind of slowly going ~ bubble, BuBble, BuBBle ...

So, you know, sorry to burs- wait, I mean ... :confused:

Fundamentalism, as many know, is simply the death throes of the old world order, working itself out not simply in the religious or even the political arena ... but in every Life upon our planet. When are some of us going to get the message, that what happens on the LARGER[est] scale affects what happens on the smaller[est] ... and vice versa?

Butterfly effect, anyone?

This cycle repeats itself, it is well known and studied, and major world changes [Progress, Growth, all in accordance with a Divine PLAN] are coordinated ... Age after Age, as has ever been the case since the world began.

Why on EARTH [or, umm, any other planet with a Humanity!] would we find this surprising ... is a worthy subject of discussion, and this is what the world's many religions have tried to assist us with, down through the ages, though each has clearly offered a slightly varying means of SOLVING our dilemma.

I wonder, now that science and religion, with an Internet just teeming with philosophers, has entered the 21st Century ... will we survive long enough to work out the SOLUTION to our present Crisis?

If so, what will that SUSTAINABLE SOCIETY look like, which some have been envisioning and trying to help develop or Evolve since time and the human Journey first began? Certainly it will be a WORLD Civilization, even if there are still many and diverse Cultures, and even though a religious pluralism of expression must for a time characterize the coming Universalism.

Hmmm ....

And while some may be fooled by all the pomp & circumstance, gold candlesticks and cathedrals ... most folks can see by now that the emperor HAS NO CLOTHES.
Oh my, Andrew ...

I tend to think that of Theosophy — take away the stuff you've borrowed and clothed yourselves in from authentic traditions, and you're left with ... ?

God bless,

Thomas

Every church does that, including the Catholic Church.
I know. I don't dispute that.

What I dislike is when someone tells me, "I know what it means better than you do. If your view is different to mine, then your view is wrong," without justifying why their view is so much more "correct" and "rational" than mine.
Well we've disputed that issue ourselves — to you Jesus is a reformed Judaism message misunderstood by Hellenism, to me it's a new message, translated by Hellenism ...

But I do offer reasons why I think opposing arguments don't carry the day.

Those who support the official and established position turn Christianity in their own favour and their own ends.
Not necessarily.

Just because you have an organisation that regards itself as "Christianity" doesn't mean that anyone who disagrees with that organisation about a particular issue in "Christianity" is wrong.
Doesn't mean they're right, either.

It doesn't matter if it's another church or just an informed layperson.
What matters is the claims they make.

Everybody is turning Christianity to "their favour" and I see nothing wrong with that.
I do, when the message is more a reflection of the personality and ideology of the person, than the message of Scripture.

What I do not agree with is when someone claims to have a better reason for doing it than anyone else.
I rather think that depends on the validity of the reason.

The Catholic Church is not, as many might suppose, at odds with everyone. We are progressing relations with the Russian and Greek Orthodox Patriarchates (hindered by nationalism, curiously enough), and are in communion with the Eastern Oriental Patriarchies, as well as the Lutheran and Anglican communions (relations with the latter strained by defections to Rome).

We also have discussions with Jews, Moslems, Buddhists and Hindus, which generally are on convivial terms, although the media is always ready to exploit a dispute.

We are opening 'The Court of the Gentiles' in Paris, as a place of dialogue between Catholicism and the secular world.

But I do defend the right to stand by and defend what we believe in. I do not engage others about what they believe as such, I engage others abpout what they believe about what we believe.

God bless,

Thomas

Well we've disputed that issue ourselves — to you Jesus is a reformed Judaism message.........

I believe Jesus might have been a follower of a particular faction in Judaism, but he had a vision far bigger than just being a follower of that faction. Jesus wasn't interested in winning internal disputes or being a Pharisee. He had his sights set on the rest of the human race. That's despite the fact that he never made an effort, before his death to reach out to Gentiles. It was after his resurrection that he set that plan in motion.

.........misunderstood by Hellenism, to me it's a new message, translated by Hellenism ...

Being translated by Hellenism isn't the problem. There are a number of problems with mainstream Christianity.

1) People aren't aware of the Hellenism component.
2) People don't know how to separate the Hellenism from the Judaism.
3) The Hellenism component dominates it and has primacy over the Jewish component.
4) failure to understand the Jewish component

It's been a while since we had that discussion, so I've forgotten whatever misunderstanding we might have had there.:)

Not necessarily.

They always do. It is impossible to do anything without the "self." Everything you do involves you. Everything I do involves me, so how can the organisation not be turning things in their own favour and for their own ends?

But hey, I'm not trying to be philosophical and metaphysical here. It just doesn't make sense to me why the organisation would work for its own demise? That's self-defeating.

Doesn't mean they're right, either.

It also doesn't mean the other guy is right.:) They could both be wrong. They could also both be right, especially if one party misunderstands the other and it's not always the side you would pick, Thomas (not that I want to be personal).

What matters is the claims they make.

Let's hope it's not in terms and conditions set by the "host," but rather an open question. It would be nice if there was the possibility of the visitor overthrowing the kingdom. -- with permission granted of course. It could be a simple matter of the visitor convincing the host, or just showing he's got the better ideology.

I do, when the message is more a reflection of the personality and ideology of the person, than the message of Scripture.

What if that person is also putting forth what he thinks is the message of Scripture? Why can't you give that person the benefit of the doubt?

The Catholic Church is not, as many might suppose, at odds with everyone. We are progressing relations with the Russian and Greek Orthodox Patriarchates (hindered by nationalism, curiously enough), and are in communion with the Eastern Oriental Patriarchies, as well as the Lutheran and Anglican communions (relations with the latter strained by defections to Rome).

We also have discussions with Jews, Moslems, Buddhists and Hindus, which generally are on convivial terms, although the media is always ready to exploit a dispute.

Fair enough.

But I do offer reasons why I think opposing arguments don't carry the day.

Opposing arguements.....

I've come to believe....if anyone really wants to know their religion....they need to study others. And not from within their framework.

One needs to step out of their framework, out from under their teachings and study anothers inside anothers...

As all will ever be taught by our own teachers....it how to counter the oppposing arguements....

I believe Jesus might have been a follower of a particular faction in Judaism, but he had a vision far bigger than just being a follower of that faction. Jesus wasn't interested in winning internal disputes or being a Pharisee. He had his sights set on the rest of the human race. That's despite the fact that he never made an effort, before his death to reach out to Gentiles. It was after his resurrection that he set that plan in motion.
Not so sure? What about the miracle of the centurion's daughter? There are also references to the Gentiles in the NT, and a reference from the OT. There is also John:
"Now there were certain Gentiles among them, who came up to adore on the festival day. These therefore came to Philip, who was of Bethsaida of Galilee, and desired him, saying: Sir, we would see Jesus. Philip cometh, and telleth Andrew. Again Andrew and Philip told Jesus. But Jesus answered them, saying: The hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified."
John 12:20-23.

Being translated by Hellenism isn't the problem. There are a number of problems with mainstream Christianity.
OK

1) People aren't aware of the Hellenism component.
It is always problematic, but it can be identified: when the Fathers theologised, they Platonised, so if one knows Plato, one can see the Hellenic influence.
Even today, theologians East and West are careful of this issue, and still discuss its ramifications.
The same might be said, dare I say, regarding Judaism? The later books of the OT, especially the Wisdom literature, show marked intercourse with Hellenic streams of thought.

2) People don't know how to separate the Hellenism from the Judaism.
Agreed. The soul/body dualism is part of the Hellenic inheritance.

3) The Hellenism component dominates it and has primacy over the Jewish component.
Well we see it the Christian component, through the Judaic and the Hellenic lens.

4) failure to understand the Jewish component
Possibly. Possibly not necessary to understand it, nor the Hellenic. The promise of eternal salvation is more Judaic than Hellenic, however.

It's been a while since we had that discussion, so I've forgotten whatever misunderstanding we might have had there.:)
Ha! Old friends do that.

so how can the organisation not be turning things in their own favour and for their own ends?
I would say that 'the organisation' is standing by its principles.

It also doesn't mean the other guy is right.:)
No it doesn't ... but then there's the evidence being argued. Each one is standing by what he believes, but that does not mean each has to accept the other is right, when they believe them to be wrong.

What if that person is also putting forth what he thinks is the message of Scripture? Why can't you give that person the benefit of the doubt?
Because I believe he's misinterpreting Scripture.

As Paul Ricoeur says, there's more than one way to interpret a text, but that doesn't mean that every way is right.

I spend a huge amount of time offering the reasoning behind why I dispute with people. Invariably, they rarely if ever respond to the actual reasoning, they just jump on to the next objection, as if sheer weight of numbers means anything ... not only do they not accept my reason, which is fair enough, they don't accept my reasoning, which is unfair, in that if my reasoning is sound, then their premise is false, or at best unreliable.

Too often it's not the subject being argued, it's the actual process of arguing itself that's flawed.

My point is, if you don't agree with Christianity, don't do it, do something else ... but don't invent your own version, that's fantasy. Be a Buddhist, be a Moslem, be a Daoist, but don't try and rewrite Scripture as a reflection of your own psyche.

The point is there are aspects of Christianity in general and Catholicism in particular I do not personally agree with ... but I see no value in inventing a new religion, drop those bits out, and then call it Christianity ... it's wouldn't be, it would be thomasism.

But what's the appeal of Thomasism? Not a lot. So I'll call it 'reformed' or 'New Age' or whatever, to give my notions a certain cachet, a certain appeal, and a certain authority.

Back to the question:
Can a belief in a higher power be combined with evolution?
Yes.

God bless,

Thomas

Back to the question:
Can a belief in a higher power be combined with evolution?
Yes.

Finally!

For you, does the Creator exist within the worldview of natural selection?

Oh my, Andrew ...

I tend to think that of Theosophy — take away the stuff you've borrowed and clothed yourselves in from authentic traditions, and you're left with ... ?

God bless,

Thomas
My direct experiences, my good man. And this is why I know what I know, believe what I believe ... and HOPE for what I hope for.

Why else?

Oh I get it. Because you read it in a book somewhere, or because that guy in the funny robes TOLD you to. As Gilda used to say, "NEVERMIND!" :eek:

Opposing arguements.....

I've come to believe....if anyone really wants to know their religion....they need to study others. And not from within their framework.

One needs to step out of their framework, out from under their teachings and study anothers inside anothers...

As all will ever be taught by our own teachers....it how to counter the oppposing arguements....
wil,

I quite agree, but the Catholic Church ... the VATICAN ... is really only concerned with countering the opposition. And that, because they start with the false assumption [ha!] that they have THE correct picture and assessment of undoubtedly important events 2100 years ago.

But they sure screwed up with Galileo. And know it's some of the Vatican's own astronomers [ASTROLOGERS, whether they will admit it our not] who make nightly observations, and add to our understanding. I wonder when they will decide to finally TELL US of various discoveries that some of them have already made.

Some of these would change things substantially, if they had the cojones to stand up and TALK. Case in point, one Monsignor Corrado Balducci. Oh, that this institution now consisting of little more than Jesuitism and cranks, would FIND HER FOOTING.

But hey, if that path is right for YOU, no one has an issue with it. It's when you step outside of that box you have drawn for yourself, and try to lower it over your neighbor's head, then feed him all sorts of nonsense over the darkness that you have created. No, that's not enlightenment, and it's NOT doing him any favors.

"Oh Good children, feed my sheep."
[And yes, St. Paul did say, some on milk, others on meat.]

Thomas, my authority [however imperfect, perhaps overstated and INcomplete] rests squarely within my HEART, because It Lives there. Where is yours?

Back