looking for answers

silmoon

Reaction score
hello I'm new to this forum... I came here looking for answers spiritually talking, I've always been a very spiritual person even from when I was a child, I had started to write this thread earlier before in the day although with a more negative feeling to it and for some reason it didn't go through, the rest of the day was basically perfect and I decided to make a new one including both sides of the coin I am having a lot of issues in my life and I know this is related in some way with the disconnection I feel from spirituality as this has been always been a great part of my life. I'm having a lot of issues regarding relationships, things not going out ok at school, work, etc..., in fact yesterday was the worst day I had in a LONGGG time and maybe even in my life because not only one thing went wrong but almost everything.

I have no idea when this started but I know there was a turning point a year and a half ago where I just felt disconnected from everything and everyone on some level... I dunno if this could be related I feel it was all progresive and happened little by little and it wasn't just one simple thing but I lost a very dear friend to me, not to death but because of distance and other stuff as well...he was my best friend and we used to speak about basically eerything....

I'd also like to add that I do have some psychological issues ranging from mild to severe so if you are a very sensitive person I recommend that you stop reading at this point... I'm not going to post anything overly disturbing but just some little things I feel I need to get out of my chest. So a few years ago I had a very traumatic experience in my life where I promised to take care of my body and myself in general, from a few days before up until now I've noticed that I have a hard time taking notice (hehe) of when my body is hurt, yesterday I was carrying a lot of copies for some people and my arm started getting scratches I didn't even notice until I saw my arm... same thing happened a few days ago with my feet bleeding. The thing is that since I had that experience everytime I see blood or my body hurt I get really sensitive, upset and sometimes I even start crying.

I don't know why but I feel these things going on are related to my feeling that I drifted apart from the faith I used to have in spiritual things. The weirdest part at least for me is that there are always things...that remind me or feel like they are pointing me in a certain direction in my life...or that I can relate in some way to things that were very important to me when I was not in this state of mind, and they all lead back to this, to my hope and faith...of something else...

I wanted to know if anyone had any advice or opinion to give me that could help, it would be greately appreciated. I do know there is not one simple truth to everything but I also know that there is something else in life, this is the most basic feeling that has always been with me throughout my life and it's a part of me I cannot deny, so I just wanted to know if anyone could give me some advice...thanx

silmoon,
Welcome. May I ask what Belief system you were raised in?

etu I was raised catholic but well I've never really felt like I belonged in there, ever.
There have been times when I've wanted to ask questions to so called priests that would go against their beliefs and my family in general doesn't quite understand why I don't like going to church, mostly my mother cause she is very religious. I don't have any problem going but I don't believe in it if that makes sense... When I was really little I just thought the feeling would pass or that I would grow to be "ok" with it, like maybe there was something wrong with me and that I would understand later on, but it hasn't passed and actually as I grow older I get more and more questions popping up in my head about that, where I live there are very few people who understand my pov on the subject... I dunno what else to add just that...

There are a couple of catholics on the forum, they'd probably be more than willing to answer your questions.

There are many religions and denominatons that make it uncomfortable to ask questions, making you feel less by not simply believing.

As to this forum, ask away.

Silmoon,

I have only just returned to these forums after a long time and have just seen your message. I see it has been about a month since you posted this. I hope you are well, and you are on the way to finding greater peace :)

When you mention the various troubles you've been having, this makes me think of the matter of 'external conditions'. Some of the things I have been exploring spiritually involve the effort to be capable of contentment, independent of these conditions.

I'm sure that everyone has a tendency to recommend the paths that they themselves are on, so I feel a little bit guilty for this - but ultimately you must decide for yourself if what path is best for you.

In any case, in some effort to respond to a call for help in whatever humble way I might, I would recommend you look into Stoicism and Buddhism. Meditation can be helpful but I would look, particularly, into the Buddhist concepts of 'no-self', detachment, and loving kindness. In Stoicism, I would look into their distinctions between the good, bad, and indifferent.

I'm sure others here may have their own ideas on helpful avenues to explore so I'll leave that to them to offer up. Please feel free to continue your discussions as needed.

Best wishes :)

Sincerely,
Daniel

etu I was raised catholic but well I've never really felt like I belonged in there, ever.
There have been times when I've wanted to ask questions to so called priests that would go against their beliefs and my family in general doesn't quite understand why I don't like going to church, mostly my mother cause she is very religious. I don't have any problem going but I don't believe in it if that makes sense.

Hi Silmoon, you can be Catholic and not go to church. Or you can be some other deomination of Christian and not go to church.

My Dad is Christian but I can't remember the last time he went to church. But that doesn't mean he doesn't live the Christian life and follow Jesus' teachings. After all, how many times did Jesus go to church or teach out of a church?

I used to work with a Fisheries Biologist who lived in Alaska, and loved to be outdoors. He was spiritual but not in an organized religion sort of way. His in-laws from the East Coast were very religious and disapproved of him not going to church. One day they asked him why he doesn't go to church on Sunday mornings. He replied that he "goes to church" every time he heads out for a hike in the Alaskan mountains.

I would personally suggest starting with your Catholic faith and working from there. I grew up Southern Baptist, and if you're like me, a Christian upbringing has shaped you in many ways, and is likely the belief system you're most knowledgeable about. Catholicism is very strong in my current community, and some priests are very cool and open minded, whereas others I've met have been much more traditional. You might have to "shop around" a bit to find a community that is welcoming to your point of view and questioning. If not in Catholicism perhaps in a Protestant denomination. If not there perhaps in Unitarian Universalism. If not there then maybe in an Eastern Tradition or no tradition at all.

But, you might be able to find your answers and life path within Catholicism or Christianity. Just maybe not in the particular church you've been going to. There are many paths in life that ultimately, IMHO, lead to the same place.

Pura vida,
Iowa Guy

Silmoon,

Would you feel guilty if you left the church?

not really I believe it has nothing to do with church in itself but mostly with me ( I haven't gone there for years and just go on special occasions when I "have" to) I appreciate the input on the subject and I've been seeing a lot of things unfolding in my life in a way I did not expect but I'm still going through this process and I feel like everyday I learn something new. Where I live people are very traditional over religious matters and so there are very structured beliefs of how things should be on certain aspects. I've noticed a lot of people are constantly in struggle with the religious part of our culture since it is mostly the same and there is not much diversity, this creates conflict and separation of groups of people on a lot of levels. This is just a broader aspect of it, and has nothing to do with my personal beliefs, but it has definitely played an important part in my concepts of "right" and "wrong".

I have found budhism to be quite interesting before but never really looked into it I might actually it look up into the budhism and stoicism religions. Thank you.

not really I believe it has nothing to do with church in itself but mostly with me ( I haven't gone there for years and just go on special occasions when I "have" to) I appreciate the input on the subject and I've been seeing a lot of things unfolding in my life in a way I did not expect but I'm still going through this process and I feel like everyday I learn something new. Where I live people are very traditional over religious matters and so there are very structured beliefs of how things should be on certain aspects. I've noticed a lot of people are constantly in struggle with the religious part of our culture since it is mostly the same and there is not much diversity, this creates conflict and separation of groups of people on a lot of levels. This is just a broader aspect of it, and has nothing to do with my personal beliefs, but it has definitely played an important part in my concepts of "right" and "wrong".

I have found budhism to be quite interesting before but never really looked into it I might actually it look up into the budhism and stoicism religions. Thank you.
Zen melds in with other traditions quite well. It might be a way to balance out the overly structured environment with the spontaneity of Zen.

Silmoon,

I have a lot of experience talking with former Catholics and Christians, and one of the biggest problems they often have is that they feel guilty for leaving the church. (They often fear the idea that 'turning their back on Jesus' is going to send them straight to hell.) I am glad to see that you do not have this problem.

I, too, grew up Catholic, I went to Cathlic high school, the whole nine yards. I ended up becoming a Buddhist, so I find it fascinating that you are also taking a look at Buddhism. If you have any questions about Buddhism, please do not hesitate to ask.

You mentioned several things about you that caused you to turn away from Catholicism, but only very briefly. Please give us some more examples.

Hi Silmoon —

Sorry you had a hard road with Catholicism, but I was raised Catholic myself, so can sympathise. I 'wandered off' in my twenties, joined a cult, did quite well, saw through the scam it had become ...

Having a strong martial arts background I took to Soto Zen (If I could have found a Tendai school things might have gone differently!).

Started reading the Perennial Tradition and went for it big time, and, before I knew it, was reading Catholic theology/philosophy/metaphysics, and have since discovered all the things I was never told at school.

I'm guessing you're in the US? It seems quite marked that American Catholics have little theological or philosophical support for their enquiries, but then theology/philosophy is not big of the 'must have's of a parish priest.

Luckily I found a Dominican Priory, so can corner the brothers there, and we've had some spirited discussions! I've also done a degree in Catholic theology, so on paper my education equals that of your average parish priest.

Anyway, any Catholic aspects I can help you with, I'll happily discuss with you. Comparative religion I'm quite into, also.

Nick here is a Theosopher, so loyal to the movement has quite an anti-Catholic bias, so don't feel too obliged to dish the dirt for him, as much as he enjoys it ...

God bless,

Thomas

I'm guessing you're in the US? It seems quite marked that American Catholics have little theological or philosophical support for their enquiries, but then theology/philosophy is not big of the 'must have's of a parish priest.

Luckily I found a Dominican Priory, so can corner the brothers there, and we've had some spirited discussions! I've also done a degree in Catholic theology, so on paper my education equals that of your average parish priest.

It is a shame what is taught in Catholic Schools and Catechism.... In a Jesuit College in the states, a practicing priest and professor tells his students that Genesis and Revelation are metaphor and shouldn't be taken litterally and much of his class bursts into tears as the rug gets pulled from beneath them.

He goes on to say that the Church figured centuries ago that the people don't want the truth....they want rules and regulations and heaven and hell and simple stories, not personal responsiblity....so until one goes on to higher learning, they are milk fed...

This is wrong. If folks were taught the metaphor and metaphysics from the time they were toddlers we'd have a completely different world today.

Somehow we can do this with the story of the Ugly Duckling, and the lion and the mouse, and Humpty Dumpty....but not with the Bible....and it is a shame.

We are doing every congregant, every parishioner and every child a disservice by pertuating the mythology and not exposing and expressing the value of the mystery and how you can take the verses and make them valuable in your own life if you bring them to today instead of leaving them as false history.

hello I'm new to this forum... I came here looking for answers spiritually talking, I've always been a very spiritual person even from when I was a child, I had started to write this thread earlier before in the day although with a more negative feeling to it and for some reason it didn't go through, the rest of the day was basically perfect and I decided to make a new one including both sides of the coin I am having a lot of issues in my life and I know this is related in some way with the disconnection I feel from spirituality as this has been always been a great part of my life. I'm having a lot of issues regarding relationships, things not going out ok at school, work, etc..., in fact yesterday was the worst day I had in a LONGGG time and maybe even in my life because not only one thing went wrong but almost everything.

I have no idea when this started but I know there was a turning point a year and a half ago where I just felt disconnected from everything and everyone on some level... I dunno if this could be related I feel it was all progresive and happened little by little and it wasn't just one simple thing but I lost a very dear friend to me, not to death but because of distance and other stuff as well...he was my best friend and we used to speak about basically eerything....

I'd also like to add that I do have some psychological issues ranging from mild to severe so if you are a very sensitive person I recommend that you stop reading at this point... I'm not going to post anything overly disturbing but just some little things I feel I need to get out of my chest. So a few years ago I had a very traumatic experience in my life where I promised to take care of my body and myself in general, from a few days before up until now I've noticed that I have a hard time taking notice (hehe) of when my body is hurt, yesterday I was carrying a lot of copies for some people and my arm started getting scratches I didn't even notice until I saw my arm... same thing happened a few days ago with my feet bleeding. The thing is that since I had that experience everytime I see blood or my body hurt I get really sensitive, upset and sometimes I even start crying.

I don't know why but I feel these things going on are related to my feeling that I drifted apart from the faith I used to have in spiritual things. The weirdest part at least for me is that there are always things...that remind me or feel like they are pointing me in a certain direction in my life...or that I can relate in some way to things that were very important to me when I was not in this state of mind, and they all lead back to this, to my hope and faith...of something else...

I wanted to know if anyone had any advice or opinion to give me that could help, it would be greately appreciated. I do know there is not one simple truth to everything but I also know that there is something else in life, this is the most basic feeling that has always been with me throughout my life and it's a part of me I cannot deny, so I just wanted to know if anyone could give me some advice...thanx

Silmoon, you need, first, to go to a Doctor to check about this physical condition which is causing you the itching in your body, and the bleeding from your feet. Then, you should try to look for a church or other religious organization to connect and share your spiritual aspirations with other people. The way of religious forums is just a token of a help but not enough. You need to socialize with people who have the same aspirations and share each other's experiences as you have done here. Good luck, then.
Ben

The weirdest part at least for me is that there are always things...that remind me or feel like they are pointing me in a certain direction in my life...or that I can relate in some way to things that were very important to me when I was not in this state of mind, and they all lead back to this, to my hope and faith...of something else...

I do know there is not one simple truth to everything but I also know that there is something else in life, this is the most basic feeling that has always been with me throughout my life and it's a part of me I cannot deny, so I just wanted to know if anyone could give me some advice...thanx

Hello Silmoon,

It sounds to me when you talk about this feeling you have, that you are describing faith. Many people think faith is just a belief, an intellectual position we have, or a hope or wishful thinking. But for me, faith is a feeling, an experience. It's something within you that makes you search to find answers to the big questions of existence.

Although faith may be just a feeling, it's a powerful force. It is an inner call to pursue a spiritual quest. If Catholicism doesn't inspire you why not look into some other religions? Do some reading and see if anything catches your interest and gives you enthusiasm. If there are churches or temples or ashrams nearby you can visit, you could try that. Keep an open mind and an open heart and see where it leads you. Let your inner sense of satisfaction guide you. You may find that by looking outside of Catholicism, you gain a new appreciation for what is within Catholicism. Otherwise, you may find another spiritual practice more suited to you, that can give you a sense of connection to others and also to God.

I hope its ok for me to also recommend you try chanting the Hari Krishna mantra as a spiritual practice. I find it excellent and it has the capacity to soothe and quiet the mind. It's free, its easy and can be done at any time and any place. It can be chanted mentally, or out loud. It can be sung to any tune, or chanted using beads as mantra meditation. The words Hari, Krishna and Rama are all names of God and therefore a spiritual sound vibration. Please try it for yourself and see what you think. It goes like this ....

Hari Krishna, Hari Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hari Hari
Hare Rama, Hari Rama, Rama Rama, Hari Hari

I wish you well :)

To silmoon, I recommend you meditate and pray heartily. You need to release every negative feelings and thoughts which bothers you the most. Let it out and ask Him to guide you in every decisions. I hope you're ok by now.

Hi Silmoon -
I was a Catholic, and I also did not feel liked I belonged. I am now a minister in a different spiritual tradition.

I think that your desire to find your own spiritual path is a good one. You want to find that path that resonates with you and which will motivate you to learn and grow. It might be a good idea to try several different types of paths to see which one fits you best. I think an important consideration for you in choosing where you want to get involved is to be sure that questions are encouraged, not dismissed.

In addition to Buddhism, you might try Unity or Science of Mind (where I am a minister).

Don't give up. Pray for clarity and listen to your Divine Wisdom. You will be guided to the perfect path for you.

Rev. Della

The Lord says this;

"The Lord is near to everyone who calls upon Him in truth.

I the Lord speak the truth; I say what is right.

They shall be my people, and I will be their God, with faithfulness and justice.
These then are the things you should do: Speak the truth to one another; let there be honesty and peace in the judgments at your gates.

Seek the Lord, all you humble of the earth, who have observed his law; Seek justice, seek humility; perhaps you may be sheltered on the day of the Lord’s anger.

You have been told, what is good, and what the Lord requires of you: Only to do what is right love goodness, and walk humbly with the Lord your God.

Don’t my words promise good to those who walks uprightly?

Surely the Lord God does nothing, without revealing his plans to his servants the prophets.

For it is love that I desire, not sacrifice, and knowledge of God rather than holocausts.

Sow justice for yourselves , reap the fruit of piety; Break up for yourselves a new field, for it is time to seek the Lord, till he come and rain down justice upon you."

You shall return by the help of your God, if you remain loyal and do right and always hope in your God.

Let him who is wise understand these things; let him who is prudent know them. Straight are the paths of the Lord, in them the just walk, but sinners stumble in them.

"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road is easy that leads to destruction, and there are many who take it. For the gate is narrow and the road is hard that leads to life, and there are few who find it.I am the narrow gate anyone who enters by me will be saved."

Silmoon,
I would encourage you to turn to the truth found in scripture.
Matthew 11:28-30
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
This is an echo of the first beatitude Matthew 5:3, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” Note that this is an open invitation to all who hear but, phrased in such a way that the only ones who respond to the invitation are those who are burdened by their own spiritual bankruptcy and the weight of trying to save themselves by keeping the law. Verse 29 “you will find rest” from the endless, fruitless efforts to save oneself by the works of the law. This rest is permanent because of the grace of God which is not works based.
God sent His son Jesus Christ into the world so that you can have a relationship with God, forgiveness of your sins, assurance of your salvation, and eternity in heaven with God. John 3:16,For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
Another verse that has been helpful for me in difficult times is Psalm 55:22, “Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken. God loves you and wants to have a relationship with you. Turn to His word for guidance. I would also encourage you to find a group of bible believing, Christ honoring Christians that can encourage you and walk with you through any difficultly you have be facing.

(Matthew 5:3) . . .“Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need, since the kingdom of the heavens belongs to them.

So you are conscious of this hunger.

Read the bible everyday, just stick your finger in it and see what it says, and pray in the meantime to the power that does exist listening for these requests.

The bible in many ways is better than a church of course, because it is the actual word many o them have divested themselves of in the greatest principles of spirituality, they are state organs of the continuum of propaganda, just a veneer.

The bible is not a veneer, it is the source. So reading it, applying it and praying for that guidance with the belief that it does exist will help. Stick to it, and the anwers you seek will find you, you won't have to look for them.

(Hebrews 11:6) . . .Moreover, without faith it is impossible to please [him] well, for he that approaches God must believe that he is and that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him.

(Luke 18:1) . . .Then he went on to tell them an illustration with regard to the need for them always to pray and not to give up. . .

I, like RevDella, like the idea of a broader Scripture. Think of G!d as a old-fashioned bull's eye. You can get to H!r from any direction. Look up the wrtings of George Fox (like http://www.jesus.org.uk/vault/library/fox_autobiog.pdf) and find the passage "when all my hopes in them and in all men were gone, so that I had nothing outwardly to help me, nor could I tell what to do, then, oh, then, I heard a voice which said, 'There is one, even Christ Jesus, that can speak to thycondition' and when I heard it, my heart did leap for joy." and make that (again, per that of G!d within you) a goal. Let go, let G!d!

Back