A New Beginning

radarmark

Quaker-in-the-Making
Reaction score
Thanks to salishan, NCOT and donnann I realize what kind of pain-in-the derrière I am here. I mean well, but this is awfully hard for me (I get spun up too easily and am way too pompous).

First, like most Quakers, honesty and truth are sacrosanct to me (that is why we affirm and do not swear… we strive always to be truthful with others). I have never misrepresented myself, my beliefs, or my knowledge on these pages. I may be (and am) inconsistent (“consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds”, look it up) and even contradictory (IMHO so are most of the Holy Books we read and quote). That probably drives you mad (“a scientist who doesn’t believe in absolute truth?” or “a Christian who quotes Zoroaster or Hui-Neng or Laozi as masters?”, I feel your pain).

So what I am going to do is put myself in exile, limiting myself to comments on this one thread (I apologize to Davos and Lunitik and AndrewX and juantoo3 for the verbal haranguing I have given them). I will, of course, respond to any PMs or comments of a thread directed at me (NCOT is great at this!).

My next entry will include a set of cross-references to the 4 or 5 posts of mine worth looking at (I’ll bet you they are not the same ones you would choose). I will make copies of interesting posts on other threads and post replies to them here as well.

To for my mea culpa. I am a child of the 60s… the Grateful Dead, Dylan, the Haight, and Vietnam. Grew up in suburban and urban Northern California and rural New Mexico. Served in the military (or with) from 1969-1997 and (except for 3-4 months when I tried to run my own SW company) have consulted for them since. My greatest influences are artistic both musical (GD, BD, Jefferson Airplane, Birds, VU, Fugs, Trane, Miles, Sanders) and fictional (Borgas, Dick, Mann, Joyce, Barth, Pinchon, Lovecraft, Heinlein). The other big influence is “fringe”: O-Sensei Ueshiba, Suzuki Roshi, Wilber, Fox (Matthew, not George, who is pretty mainstream), Campbell, Yogananda, Krishnamurti, Rajneesh (still can’t call him Osho).

Religiously was raised Methodist (Chinese Missionary Methodist out of old College of Pacific) but “mixed blood” (Jewish Mother, Catholic Father, some Native, some post Civil War Black). Put down “Metis” as my ethnicity (Canadian term for mixed). Never joined any religious or spiritual group (except libertarian party when I thought it was the cat’s meow) until I found the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers). Did not graduate high school but did four undergrad degrees and three grad degrees (yes, Martha I am a real nuclear physicist). Happily married 34 years (this time). Have a little horse farm (no longer ride competitively since last time I fractured spine, ditto for moto-cycle—Guzzi, that is) with two cats in the yard and a big vegetable garden.

I get upset with authority (and have a real bad case of PTSD) because of childhood abuse. I do not like ideology, especially anything that smacks of prejudice and mistreatment (that is why I crawled so far up some ___holes on this site). I really think like I write, warts and all.

The only Religion I could ever be tempted to profess besides my Quakerism is an Islam of the Imam Rauf-Ahmadic-Sufic sort or Chabad (but, try as I might I can never master a foreign language—I was a preadolescent stutterer, do not get me near anyone who stutters, I become non-verbal).

Peace, Pax, Shalom, Salaam, My Friends!:D

P.S. for you Muslims and Jews who are offended at that, it is just that from what I understand of those two paths, they “appeal to my grokiness”.

Thanks to salishan, NCOT and donnann I realize what kind of pain-in-the derrière I am here. I mean well, but this is awfully hard for me (I get spun up too easily and am way too pompous).

Who's been giving you trouble? I'll deal with them for you!!!!

My next entry will include a set of cross-references to the 4 or 5 posts of mine worth looking at (I’ll bet you they are not the same ones you would choose). I will make copies of interesting posts on other threads and post replies to them here as well.

I am actually quite curious as to the nature of the offence.

I get upset with authority (and have a real bad case of PTSD) because of childhood abuse.

Authority is unavoidable when you need someone to make the decisions.

I do not like ideology, especially anything that smacks of prejudice and mistreatment (that is why I crawled so far up some ___holes on this site).

I think ideology is unavoidable too when people get political and idealistic. Ideology isn't so bad when people admit to having one. That's when you can agree to disagree. Bananabrain says it's like having bad breath.

The only Religion I could ever be tempted to profess besides my Quakerism is an Islam of the Imam Rauf-Ahmadic-Sufic sort or Chabad (but, try as I might I can never master a foreign language—I was a preadolescent stutterer, do not get me near anyone who stutters, I become non-verbal).

You're not alone ....... I'm starting to like the idea of the Oral Torah as something that guides the reading of one's written tradition -- including the NT and Quran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarmark http://www.interfaith.org/forum/a-new-beginning-15188.html#post263619

Who's been giving you trouble? I'll deal with them for you!!!!
Not that simple… I “jump on folks” (look at how I abused Davos intentionally or just rubbed salt in the wounds for mojobadshah). I am not really like that, and do not like that I do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarmark http://www.interfaith.org/forum/a-new-beginning-15188.html#post263619

I am actually quite curious as to the nature of the offence.
See above, it is me finding fault with myself.
Quote:
I get upset with authority (and have a real bad case of PTSD) because of childhood abuse.

Authority is unavoidable when you need someone to make the decisions.
Yep, but Quakerly decision-making (kinda an oxymoron to tell you the truth) is stated verbal consensus as authority. I like that. When someone says “you are wrong and must have a Master” (see exchanges with AndrewX), it goes someplace negative. But instead of just saying “get off your high horse” I respond quite badly (not how I want to respond).
I believe believing in a Gyd that is one, loving H!m or H!r with all of out heart and mind and being, and treating our fellow creatures (extending to eco-systems) with respect and honor is incumbent on us. That means respecting traditions. But when a tradition or an individual does not provide me with the same courtesy it just pisses me off.
Quote:
I do not like ideology, especially anything that smacks of prejudice and mistreatment (that is why I crawled so far up some ___holes on this site).

I think ideology is unavoidable too when people get political and idealistic. Ideology isn't so bad when people admit to having one. That's when you can agree to disagree. Bananabrain says it's like having bad breath.
I agree, but most (esp. the three whose names I have used) do not see it in the same way. It becomes a matter of “absolute truth” (something I really do not know exists).
Quote:

You're not alone ....... I'm starting to like the idea of the Oral Torah as something that guides the reading of one's written tradition -- including the NT and Quran.
Oral Torah and Halakah are wonderful! Orthodoxy does not believe in birth control, but on a case by case basis it was sanctified during Shoah (Hear! Hear!). Similarly, the Imam Rauf rap on Umma (community) and Fiqh (jurisprudence) fill my heart with joy.

Thank you, Friend for reaching out and replying. Peace unto thee and thine.

i dont really understand what you are getting at on this thread.

but i really enjoy your presence on the forum :)

i just given you a big atral hug :)

I am not giving up on the forum. I am merely not going to interject myself (troll) in conversations. That way, since I have to copy into Word and transfer something I want to respond to here, I have time to cool down.

I do not like how I come across. I am really not a bully (IMHO).

Astral hug back, Friend.

My post I grok the most:
http://www.interfaith.org/forum/263312-post2.html

The one original post:
http://www.interfaith.org/forum/262464-post43.html

Thanks to salishan for prompting both of those.

One fragment:
Let me go over my three magic words here—

daats'i -- roughly Navajo for "maybe" (per dictionary) but used colloquially to mean "yes", "no", "perhaps", "possibly" and all situations in-between. Meaning "the world is not certain".

the lack of a work for time in Hopi -- "when" (future sense of now) "hisat", "then" (past sense of "now") "paasat", "now" "yaasat". You would think "time" to be "sat" it isn't... the closest is "pahanatewa" which literally means "white man's sun" or "clocktime".

"grok" -- Martian for "drink" or "thou art G!d".

Put them altogether and you might be able to get a grasp of what I want to do here.

One entire thread:
http://www.interfaith.org/forum/ask-a-spiritual-physicist-14276.html

That's it, the four posts I like.

May be a wimp, but a penny will get you a thousand dollars I can handle you.

Ever killed anything or anybody?
Easy young fella . . . just teasin' ya
Even though I'm 51 I guarantee you wouldn't wouldn't walk away without something missing ;)

How did you kill people? In the service? With a weapon?

"grok" -- Martian for "drink" or "thou art G!d".

I thought it was"
"Gradual (or, genuine) Realisation of Organic Knowledge"

OMG!!

Have we had the pleasure of Martian's Company here???

Better not anwser!

Easy young fella . . . just teasin' ya
Even though I'm 51 I guarantee you wouldn't wouldn't walk away without something missing ;)

How did you kill people? In the service? With a weapon?

Sorry, dude. Got you beat by a few (64). Yep, in service. Laos, 4802 JLD ran support for military use of Air America... well, actually, I patched up holes in aircraft and pulled bamboo out of struts and landing gears and bombracks, you could say those guys flew Nape of the Earth minus a few meters or loaded bbs (loaded ordinance. Mainly I chased tail and worked on electronics (look up "Commando Club" or LS 85, missed it but supported other Igloo White activities).

Killing was with weapons (hth, not air to ground). Look up Long Tien or "Spook City" or "Sky".:D

It seems my cursory visits have caused me to miss all your faults, Radar. I thought you were one of the intelligent , rational voices here.

Sorry, dude. Got you beat by a few (64). Yep, in service. Laos, 4802 JLD ran support for military use of Air America... well, actually, I patched up holes in aircraft and pulled bamboo out of struts and landing gears and bombracks, you could say those guys flew Nape of the Earth minus a few meters or loaded bbs (loaded ordinance. Mainly I chased tail and worked on electronics (look up "Commando Club" or LS 85, missed it but supported other Igloo White activities).

Killing was with weapons (hth, not air to ground). Look up Long Tien or "Spook City" or "Sky".:D
Nice (64)! you old fart!! LOL! Probably wouldn't mess with ya ;)

In any case . . . personally, I have enjoyed your threads and your replies, and your beatings on those that deserved them :D So, don't be going anywhere.

Wow, Snoopy, thanks. I just got tired of getting into lengthy discussions where I got mad. My choice, not forced into it.

"Rationality isn't all it's cracked up to be" R.A. Wilson

Wow, thanks. I just got tired of getting into lengthy discussions where I got mad. My choice, not forced into it.

i know what u mean. but you learn about yourself like that, well i did anyway.

"Re: Lesbian Woman Denied Communion at Mother's Funeral
... As a catholic, she shouldn't go for bread, or wine, because, as others have pointed out, she willfully goes against doctrine, which means she can't have communion. But, for the priest to make the decision to refuse... I was always of the opinion that this choice was not the priests to make. It is the ... supplicants (?) knowledge of the rejection of the doctrine that should also trigger the rejection of the host."

The assumption is that being Lesbian is a willful choice. Hmmmm. If being diabetic or schizophrenic were against doctrine would they be rejected?

If the funeral was public, then the public's rights trump the churches. That is classic old-fashioned Jeffersonianism. "For I have sworn upon the alter of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

"You think there is a clear distinction between housekeeper and renunciate, there does not have to be." -- posted on God & god - "Know ye not that ye are gods?"

There should not be. As the Late Lama Lenny Bruce said "It is easy to be holy alone on a mountaintop, it's people that ___k it all up!"

Wow, Snoopy, thanks. I just got tired of getting into lengthy discussions where I got mad. My choice, not forced into it.

Yeah, length ain't always quality.

And silence beats talk.

Back