A perspective on the esoteric

Thomas

So it goes ...
Veteran Member
Reaction score
"O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding the profane novelties of words, and oppositions of knowledge falsely so called."
1 Timothy 6:20

There is a common concept of the 'esoteric' that defines it as something "confined to and understandable by only an enlightened inner circle". It is assumed to be a secret teaching of some sort, imparted to the initiate, such as the 'keys of knowledge' given to the gnostic neophyte to enable him or her to ascend through the various spheres.

In later times an explicit elitism has crept in to such a degree that some will insist that the same esoteric data is common to all traditions, or that there is one set of meta-esoteric principles that all traditions aspire to — that the esoterism of one tradition can explain or replace the exoterism of another — which is a patent nonsense — but then, some today, pursuing a sentimental or misguided ecumenism, or egalitarianism, or both, speak of 'Zen Christianity', which shows nothing but a failure to understand either tradition in any real depth.

In short, this notion of 'esoteric data' although almost as old as the term itself, is, despite its antiquity, somewhat paradoxically, quite an exoteric one!

Whilst it is true that the word “esoterism” is the complement of exoterism, in general this is assumed to mean secret, hidden or discreet knowledge which complements the common or mundane understanding. This is true at the exoteric level, but there is a deeper esoterism, and this is the esoterism of which St Paul speaks to Timothy.

To paraphrase, many assume the esoteric is the “spirit” which completes the exoteric “letter”. What is missed is that the spirit is spirit, it is not a mode of the letter. By which I mean, the spirit is not more words, no matter how discreet, secret, hidden, or how many hoops the initiate has to jump through to arrive at them. Spirit is spirit — beyond forms, beyond words.

In Christianity and, I believe, authentic Platonism, by esoteric what is alluded to is the realisation of that which the letter speaks of or alludes to.

Thus, to quote the Buddhist axiom, 'before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water; after enlightenment, chop wood, carry water', it's not that the Buddhist knows something about chopping wood and carrying water that few people know, but that, now enlightened, the same person chops wood and carries water, but a profound change has been worked in that person, a change that cannot be summed up in words, nor has any dependency on knowledge as such.

The old New York taxi driver's saw says it all: "Lady: 'How do I get to the Carnegie Hall?' Taxi river: 'Practice, lady, practice!'

Furthermore:

Where there is formal truth (expounded in a doctrine), there is also a non-formal truth (embodied in a way of being), a truth that stems from the nature of things. This truth is vocational, since not every man grasps this nature, but on the other hand those who do, do not necessarily grasp it in a formal manner, that is, intellectual ability does not designate one a saint, nor are saints necessarily intellectuals.

By the same token, what you know does not designate who you are, and who you are is not dependent on what you know. A person who knows a lot is not necessarily a better person who does not know as much as he ... one's sanctity is subject to not qualitative determination, as much as people like to think so.

The parable of the rich young man (Matthew 19) is illuminative on this point:
"And behold one came and said to him: Good master, what good shall I do that I may have life everlasting? Who said to him: Why asketh thou me concerning good? One is good, God. But if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments."
Our Lord makes the point that goodness in itself is not a quality adhering in things, but the immanent presence of the Divine. This presence is 'esoteric' precisely because it is not seen.

"The young man saith to him: All these I have kept from my youth, what is yet wanting to me?"
The man has followed the letter of the law.
"Jesus saith to him: If thou wilt be perfect, go sell what thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come follow me. And when the young man had heard this word, he went away sad: for he had great possessions."
We are not talking about material goods here, but knowledge. The young man knows much, but does he live according to what he knows? He knows the law, but he cannot live the law ...

God bless,

Thomas

Thomas, to me the esoteric is that which is available to all who decide to contemplate and look beyond the literal. To those who realize through reasoning that Genesis is not scientific history nor fact of any kind but metaprhor and allegory To those that can see that much of what is contradictory has its reason, and much of the claimed historical is anything but.

Here in the states we have many who tout instant canyonification and believe Jonah got swallowed by a big fish....but many....albiet by the majority a few....look beyond the surface to explore further...

So while the esoteric, metahphysic is available to all....it is confined to the small group who aren't lazy....quite the threshold to overcome for most of my country.

Hi Wil —
Thomas, to me the esoteric is that which is available to all who decide to contemplate and look beyond the literal.
I still think that puts it into the realm of the intellectual, it's still operating around 'the letter of the leter', so someone who is clever, or better informed, is more esoteric, which I agree happens in the contemporary sense of the term — how can you write the esoteric in a book?

You can buy a book of koans, as if knowing the koan, and being able to explain it, means you're enlightened.

That's utter rubbish.

I think Plato was indicating something else.

To those who realize through reasoning that Genesis is not scientific history nor fact of any kind but metaphor and allegory
Well that's not esoteric, really, is it? That's just text criticism.

we have many who tout instant canonification and believe Jonah got swallowed by a big fish
OK. But you tout 'ye are gods' and 'we live and move' in a manner no less fanciful than the idea of God being an old man with a long beard sitting on a throne in the clouds ... you take them at face value, and ignore both tradition and text criticism, the latter being very argument you use to undo those texts that don't tickle your fancy! Explain that!

To those that can see that much of what is contradictory has its reason, and much of the claimed historical is anything but.
Still talking form crit.

Remember that many of yesterday's assertions about what can and cannot be true have been revised today. Time and time again, the 'inaccuracies' in the Gospel of Luke, for example, have been shown to be quite accurate, thanks to archaeology.

... it is confined to the small group who aren't lazy ...
That's the point I'm trying to make. They read something, and take it's meaning on board, not mentally, but spiritually ... and it's the spirit bit that's esoteric. Form criticism will never get that.

As I said, intellectual capacity is no measure of sanctity ...

God bless

Thomas

Thomas I know you are aware there is more than intellectual contemplation....but the intellectual contemplation and biblical criticism opens the door to the passages we should judge worthy of more time sitting with and absorbing...

As they are put into question by being nonfactual or unreasonable or not believed to be by the author the question is why are they there....and then we can enjoy what we glean from them.

But as I believe they are meant for all....and each of us have different lives.....they don't always mean the same thing for all....what joy.

Lucian of Samosata could have been the first to actually use the term. If I remember correctly he was kinda a cross between James Randi and Robert Anton Wilson, satirical, especially towards religion. However, what Plato puts into Socrates' mouth and what Aristotle taught "inner things"--beyond "nous" or intellect, much in parallel to "metaphysics" being beyond the material.

The real question is what we mean by it. One can always find some expert who debunks the use of some term (the logical positivists debunked all terms about interior experience).

While the scientific-materialist-logico-mathematical "nous" can help us bring clarity to nearly everything (you all know how anal I am bout that), once one goes beyond the intellect and the material, all bets are off. From then on it is merely a matter of presenting (in some sense) some justification, some abductive or inter-subjective or informational consistency.

Thus, I kinda-sorta fall on the Feyerabendian spiritual anarchy end and Thomas and Aupmanyev on a more structured Popperian or Laudanian end. That is, I say, as long as you do not hurt anyone else and do not treat or speak of others as you would not have them treat or speak of you, go for the esoteric, the spiritual, the D-vine as you want. I do think neither of the other two would follow me there.

Wil and Radar,

Since I am a follower of an esoteric tradition, I thought I would add my observations as to the nature of esoteric traditions. According the the theory, the Divine Wisdom contains some teachings that, quite frankly, the general population are not ready for. Because of this, some of the teachings are being withheld and we call these teachings esoteric teachings. However, there is good news. Humanity is continuing to progress and become more spiritual as the centuries go by. As a result, more of the teachings are being slowly released to the general public. It is comforting to know that all of the esoteric teachings will be released to all of us by the time we reach enlightenment and nirvana at the end of the human race.

comforting to know that nirvana, enlightenment and all the teachings will be released at the end of the human race?

I don't know how that is comforting....

I'm just comforted in knowing that I exist, that I have food and shelter, happily in Maslows heirarchy....I'm a cheap date.

But back to the topic.... Again, yes esoteric by definition is open to a small group...but again I say that small group is defined by the people that take the time and the trouble to investigate for themselves, to cogitate, meditate, circumambulate scripture until they find a definition, an explanation of how it applies to their life. But also they must be open to the realization that that interpretation is not for everyone, it may be for some others, but mostly it is for themselves...and not only that but that will most likely change as they progress thru life.

I agree that he was not talking about material possessions...and at a time thought he was talking about knowledge....but now think it is more than knowledge, it is beliefs, perceptions that we must release...it is whatever we are holding on to, whatever straw we've chose to grasp that we need to let go of....this topic is so important it is retold as a camel getting thru the eye of the needle....

When you go into that room and close the door....come with an empty cup...not a full one!

"that small group is defined by the people that take the time and the trouble to investigate for themselves, to cogitate, meditate, circumambulate scripture until they find a definition, an explanation of how it applies to their life."

--> Wil, I see what you are saying, but I want to give a different perspective. I think we agree that our goal is to strive for a higher level of consciousness than the human level. (Would you agree with that?) For me, that level of consciousness is the nirvanic level. Anyway, the idea I want to present here is that (according to the theory) the only way we can achieve this next level is (1) by proving we are ready to transition up to the next level and (2) by being invited to transition up to the next level. The idea here is that we will not be able (or 'allowed') to make the transition to the next higher level of consciousness (nirvana or whatever) until we meet these two requirements. (I suspect these ideas do not fit into your own personal belief system.)

To me, these ideas are fundamental to the idea of an 'esoteric tradition.'

Well, Nick, they may be fundamental to you. But since the concept of esoteric (as we can trace back in the Western world) probably predates Socrates with no mention of either "proof" or "invitation". Nor do I believe Nibbana (I believe you are using the term in an modern sense, not its original, Jainist-Buddhist sense) implies the necessity of proof or invitation (for Jains it is simply extinguishing karma and "where there is nothing; where naught is grasped, there is the Isle of No-Beyond. Nirvāṇa do I call it—the utter extinction of aging and dying" as the Buddha defined it also lacks that connotation).

According the the theory, the Divine Wisdom contains some teachings that, quite frankly, the general population are not ready for.
This is also the case for Christianity. From the outset we have the instruction of the catechumenate, who are bound by the disciplina arcani, before entry into the Mysteries of the Liturgy. The neophtye is then invited to enter a period of deeper instruction, reflection and contemplation, which we call mystagogy.

But this is still the esoteric at the material level, or the level of what can be called formal esoterism. I am trying to highlight the higher, formless esoterism, which is to do with the Spirit, not the letter.

(It is also evidence why sola scriptura in itself is a flawed concept, in the case of the Abrahamic texts, and looking at the evidence of the world. They can only be unlocked and properly understood in conjunction with the oral tradition, which preserves the formal order of Christian esoterism, that's why we refute so many versions of 'esoteric Christianity' which reduces everything to the formal domain and, without the illumination of the Spirit, makes many inaccurate assumptions.)

Because of this, some of the teachings are being withheld and we call these teachings esoteric teachings.
This falls under the formal esoteric distinction of any tradition, I think.

As a result, more of the teachings are being slowly released to the general public.
Again, this is still of the order of a formal esoterism, is it not, as that which is being released must necessarily be in the possession of someone? We tend to release everything, under the auspices of 'those with ears to hear'.

As an aside, when I studied martial arts, the teaching methodology of the Katori Shinto Ryu, one of the oldest traditions, followed the strict formal rule of a linear progression. The Kashima Shinto Ryu, equally as venerable, follows the 'release everything' rule, a more organic way, with formal but no formless instruction, the student then 'sees' what he or she is capable of, and receives the instruction in the formless esoteric teaching to go with what he or she has picked up intuitively.

The formal is like the body, without the animating spirit; the formless is the animating spirit, with not body.

It's a bit like the vessel and what it contains — the formal is the vessel of containment, the formless is what is contained. If the vessel is not 'up to' containing the formless, it just passes through, if I can stretch the analogy. Thus the vesel contains what it is capable of.

The same Spirit, of course, animates everything ... it's just a matter of whether the vessel can apprehend, and comprehend, what is passing through it. Because growth is organic and dynamic, the individual can be 'present' and 'active' in one or more 'levels' simultaneously. So it's quite possible for someone to be illumined, but not have the body of knowledge that goes with it — the pure heart with a simple mind. It's equally possible for someone to possess a great degree of knowledge, but not have the illumination that goes with it. The content is known, but not actualised or realised, but rather becomes a trading value.

Thus there are many, many sanctified people in the world who haven't got the slightest inkling of what most people take to be esoteric, nor, really, is it necessary. It's not what you know, it's who you are that counts in the end. That's why it's the Way of the Heart — for the heart speaks of the whole person.

The Spirit is, in Itself, One and undivided. Thus if the Spirit indwells, It does so absolutely (because It is Absolute) in all times and all places the sanctified know everything they need to know to attain the highest, deification or theosis; what it withheld is to do with universal matters (such as the date of the end of the world), but does not limited the person — someone who is enlightened is enlightened — I don't think the man of tomorrow will be 'more enlightened' than the man of antiquity, although, of course, will know a lot more, because they've had more time to put the formal words on the formless 'knowing'!

Thus "And Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him." Genesis 5:24.

God bless,

Thomas

Hi Wil —

Wil:

Again, yes esoteric by definition is open to a small group...but again I say that small group is defined by the people that take the time and the trouble to investigate for themselves, to cogitate, meditate, circumambulate scripture until they find a definition, an explanation of how it applies to their life. But also they must be open to the realization that that interpretation is not for everyone, it may be for some others, but mostly it is for themselves...and not only that but that will most likely change as they progress thru life.
Quite right! Well said.

I agree that he was not talking about material possessions...and at a time thought he was talking about knowledge....but now think it is more than knowledge, it is beliefs, perceptions that we must release...it is whatever we are holding on to, whatever straw we've chose to grasp that we need to let go of....this topic is so important it is retold as a camel getting thru the eye of the needle....
And again!

When you go into that room and close the door....come with an empty cup...not a full one!
Bravo!

God bless,

Thomas

What did you do with the Buddhic level of Consciousness, Nick, embodied for us and demonstrated by the Christ ... to which we are invited by Christs and Buddhas alike, and by all of the Great Ones down through the ages?

Not long ago I mentioned Bliss, yet the Buddhic world is also home to what the Christian calls Unconditional Love {Agape} and true, Perfect Forgiveness ~ as Practice the Arhats to the Promise of PERFECTION realized by, in & *through* Asekha Adepts, Chohans, and beyond [Ephesians 4:13].

So, although you mentioned Nirvana, I wouldn't leave out ~ ^^ the above ^^ ~

~*~

Otherwise, you leave out LOVE

More later ...

Attachments

• Wavy~Sun.jpg
    Wavy~Sun.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 371
But since the concept of esoteric (as we can trace back in the Western world) probably predates Socrates with no mention of either "proof" or "invitation".
Exactly! Is this not because we seek to formalise what is hinted at?

Réne Guenon, whom I believe we both admire(?), did much in the Perennial Tradition to formalise the esoteric — mainly as a necessary medicine to the many notions around at the time about what constitutes the esoteric in the various orders he contended with in his day — he was a great critic of the so called 'esoteric schools' that were so fashionable in France at the turn of the last century, especially their complete misunderstanding of Oriental doctrines, but even he lacked the access to documents both of Greek philosophy and the Christian Tradition.

Jean Borella has written a complete response both to the errors he unfortunately assumed about both in Guénonian Esoterism and Christian Mystery.

... for Jains it is simply extinguishing karma and "where there is nothing; where naught is grasped, there is the Isle of No-Beyond. Nirvāṇa do I call it—the utter extinction of aging and dying" as the Buddha defined it also lacks that connotation.
Excellent quote in reference to esoterism — the rending of all the veils!

This reads to me — if you will — as the same as Christian apophatism. Again, Borella has identified my own favourite, the much-maligned Johannes Scottus Eriugena — as one of the greatest metaphysicians of Christianity. Regarded by many as 'the last great platonist of the West'. Indeed, in his lectures on the History of Philosophy Hegel said ""Philosophy properly speaking began in the ninth century with John Scottus Erigena" and is regarded as being a thousand years ahead of Phenomenology and the German Idealistic School.

God bless,

Thomas

The esoteric isn't the `fruit' of anything. In the Ageless Wisdom Tradition, when we say esoteric, we simply mean the portions of the physical world [plasma, as science calls it, plus three ethers] which most people cannot directly perceive, including the medium of LIGHT, which as every scientist knows, VIBRATES in what is otherwise considered `empty' space.

To this we must add the Astral Plane, in which occur all of the emotions, passions, feelings and desires of the average human beings, as well as pertaining to the animal kingdom. Even vegetables are sensitive to the astral vibrations, as most of us with a functioning heart chakra probably know.

The chakras exist within the etheric double, or subtle portions of the physical body. They also, however, exist in our astral body, with further `outlets' or interfaces between our emotional aura and the Astral Plane at large. Walk into an elevator, get close to the people around you [unavoidable, sometimes] and voila! You just crammed people close enough together that our astral auras are now touching, and everyone grows quiet, `self-conscious' [as we call it] and so forth. Or then there's the feeling we know where the mood and energy in a room is otherwise perky and upbeat, or folks are friendly and social ... then, as someone enters who doesn't quite match our mood, either a hush descends, or ~ even if this is our friend {or is that, especially?} ~ we find ourselves growing serious, or somber, or even upset, as the case may be.

Pretend we do not co-inhabit an astral plane which is right here, right now [and also Earth's corresponding aura, extending as far as the moon, at perigee]... and you will have no possibility of an afterlife, for this is where Charon enters, and Hades has a tale or two to tell, ere you proceed along your Way.

Teilhard de Chardin, the French Jesuit palentologist who spoke of Omega Point, also taught us of what he calls `the Noosphere.' Earlier, Descartes terms this the res cogitans in contrast to the RES EXTENSA, or tangible world of physical forms. And earlier still, Plato acquaints us with the world of Forms, by which he means the Iconic, Archtypal Eidos, ranging form the objects of our senses as we perceive them, even electro-chemically and within the brain, through the corresponding impulses & far subtler vibrations of matter within the ASTRAL plane, then into the Mental World with its lower sub-division of concrete, mortal thoughts, personality-centered and mundane ... reaching subtler still into the Divine Nous, or Abstract Mind, which the Egyptians called Ma'at [MAHAT] as a Cosmic PRINCIPLE, and which we encounter in the Individual Human Being as the Rational Soul ~ or HIGHER MANAS in its Divine expression, with lower manas giving rise where the Ahamkaric Principle meets the Life-Thread {Sutra'Atma} ~ on the 3rd sub-plane [counting downward] of the Manasic Plane.

Wait wait wait ... sounds like a whole bunch to keep track of, right? Maybe? Already cumbersome, eh?

No problem. Buddhic Consciousness allows the temporary removing of pretty much any of the various `veils' which we typically allow to get into our way ... or otherwise place there, as obstacles ... somewhat like stones, which are usually a burden to lift. And I mean that.

Yes, Buddhic Consciousness peels away the `I and thee' or even an artificially forced, close-but-no-cigar, otherwise sort of Unity, and shows in a FLASH what the Buddhist teachings describe as NON-Duality. Think about that.

Yes, THINK. What is non-duality?

It will challenge some, as they need to cling to SOME-thing. Ha!

Bodhi-chitta can be developed, cultivated, practiced and engendered within one's fellow human beings, as the so-called `Christ Consciousness' ~ which is really the MONAD, says H.P. Blavatsky, or Pure SPIRIT, we might say ... acting THROUGH the Soul, whose `Middle' or 2nd Principle - being the equivalent for IT of OUR `astral body' - becomes a special sort of focus, whereby the 2nd Aspect of the Monad [Love-Wisdom] sort of resonates, or stimulates the 4th Principle (or kama-manas, desire-mind) by Virtue of the intervening 4th Plane, called `Buddhi' [Sanskrit knowledge helps, before we summarily dismiss the insights of the Yogis, Saints, Sages, & Arhats down through the Ages as folly, hallucination, or child's play].

So, yes, we are free at any time to toss the Teacher away yet here I will quote a mantram which most recently a friend dictated to me, around age 102, before she passed away. This woman had been an esotericist most of her life, had met Alice Bailey, also knew Martha Linn, a student of same, and was certainly one of the greatest friends and most wonderful co-students on the Path whom I have ever known {1st Ray student, in Master M.'s Ashram} ~

This mantram is among the last of the materials received by AAB from the Tibetan Master.

I Stand and Wait

Printed in The Beacon, August 1949 and November 2001

I stand and wait, the One Who loves all men and things.
I stand and wait with mind upon the Will of God
And heart wrapt up in love of all mankind.
Around me also wait the many sons of men
Who, aeon after aeon, have found the hard and thorny Way
Which leads into the Presence of the One Who ever holds the Light.
They know the hour has come,
But wait the rising call which, day by day, is gathering force
Out of humanity's distress, men's need and agony.
Attentive also to another rising call, the Centre where the Will of God is known
Also awaits a summons from the Christ and His united Servers, the Forces of the Light.
The planet stands arrayed watching and waiting for the crisis point of men.
The hour has struck! Each year, at My Full Moon, a note sounds forth
And rings around the earth, meeting response from those who know Me well
The One they serve in self-forgetfulness, with confidence and with surety in the Plan.
To them goes forth the message from Myself,
Not from a Master, but from the One Who in wisdom and in love presides
Over the Plans of Hierarchy and the work of those who love their fellowmen.

I say: Keep close in touch with Me and with the Master who surveys your life.
With Us are found the forces of the living Light and Love which you must use.
Keep close to us, and day by day draw on the strength
And knowledge which We have and which is also yours.
Let naught disturb the acquiescent calm which keeps you close in touch,
Which brings you light and understanding
And keeps you steadfast on the Way.
We know that you are there, serving and struggling,
learning how to work, and dealing with the plans which will prepare My Way.
Knowledge will come of how to work and where to find the men
Whose hallmark of divinity is clearly seen in the way they love their fellowmen.
They are the ones we need, and they are the ones who can prepare My Way.
Keep close to men, and see within mankind
The working of the Plan which will bring Us to the outer realm of life.
I stand in readiness, and so do Those Who love and serve the Plan.
They stand with Me in ordered ranks, waiting the call to come.
Say to mankind: The time is ripe; the hour has come; the Christ is on His Way.
Nearer He comes, and Those Who walk that Way with Him
Have lived and suffered, and have left behind that which you now endure.
But, We have NOT left the sons of men behind;
We now return to bring to you light and life and peace
A peace which now can be, because goodwill is largely mankinds inner urge.
Thus will be brought full glory to the Greatest One
Whom I and you and all men serve-e'en though they know it not.
The Path which I must tread to reach your place
Is one of Light; its quality goodwill, and it is almost ready for My feet.
Work on. Failure is not for you. I COME.

*Thoughts on the Reappearance of the Christ*

By Alice A. Bailey, June 1949​

NAMASKAR
+ Om Om Om +
~*~

Neat, Ecumenist... for your own usage this is fine and I have no argument with it. However, in reality "esoteric" has a long long history from Socrates (ta esô the inner things) to Lucian of Samosota (esôterikos pertaining to the more inward).

So (JMHO) there is an existing historical definition that pretty much trumps "portions of the physical world which most people cannot directly perceive", including the medium of LIGHT.

Two slight scientific corrections. Have you ever seen a florescent light? That is a plasma. Light (and all other EM phenomena) are "wavicles" or "potential" before the measurement (your perception of light). It is neither wave nor particle, but a potential of either (depending on how you make your measurement). Sorry, there is no vibration, just as there is no empty space (it is fulled with a potential which is everywhere until the measurement is made).

Thomas, Wil, Radar, what a wonderful thread, the exchange of different ways to express the same thing is like different spices in a soup. I'm learning a lot here.

Radar,

I agree with you, it is good we can discuss these things, even if we do not agree. It's good to see where we agree and disagree, and it's good we can exchange ideas in spite of this.

Back