If Jesus suddenly came to earth, would he approve of modern Christianity?

Again, this have no relevance in the Christian sector. Even if you have problems understanding the logic of this, I think the fact that it's a against forum policy should be clear now.

Me thinks this is not the first nor the last forum that Shib will push the envelope till he is kicked to the curb...and then whine it wasn't his fault.

Course he could prove me wrong by playing nice in the sand box....let us see...

The issue I had wanted to explore was the difficulty of reconstructing anything about Jesus himself or about the early church.
OK. The difficulties are well attested, but I think there's a tendency to generalise on that point and assume everything is inaccessible and nothing is knowlable is just not the case.

I think we kid ourselves that we're somehow an evolutionarily different species to man of Antiquity. It's a glamour. At heart, which is all that matters, we have not really changed that much at all, we've just surrounded ourselves with technology which gives us the gloss of 'civilisation'.

So to the mind, the gulf is chasmic; to the heart, it's nothing.

So much effort and energy is expended on an over-arching empiricism which is itself part of the West's 'problem'. So much forensic examination. So much analysis. So little insight.

If the same time was spent meditating on the text, rather than trying to determine the shoe size of the author, we might well have a lot more insight into what matters, as opposed to what doesn't.

The Daoist texts are far further removed from us than Biblical Scripture, so are the Buddhist texts, so are the Hindu ... do we write them off?

And their provenance! OK, we've got a copy of the Tao Te Ching dating from 200 years after it was supposedly composed, but that's long enough for the skeptics and cynics here to assert it's most likely nothing at all like the original document. Give it to the Jesus Seminar and watch them dismantle it according to the limits of their own scant credulity.

And the Buddha! Heck, nothing was written down there until 400 years later! So all that lot goes in the bin.

I just don't see Daoists or Buddhists arguing whether Lao Tze or Siddhārtha Gautama Shakyamuni ever existed, or what their agendas were, or whether or not their chroniclers were sitting round the fire making it all up ... maybe they do, but I've never come across it.

In other words, the biblical materials and related classics have come down to us from multiple traditions and a lengthy redaction process.
Again, the Upanishads, the Lotus Sutra ... same deal, but not the same skeptical and cynical dismissal. I don't see anyone here railing on about how unreliable, untrustworthy, etc., those scribes were.

We no longer fast.
Well you're talking of 'you' now ...

I think we underestimate the vast gulf of knowledge and culture that separates us from the worlds of 2000 years ago, and that if given time machines, neither we nor they would easily recognize things seen in a trip to the other’s lands.
I think we overestimate 'knowledge' and 'culture' – it's all dressing.

Underneath it all, we're the same people.

And I'd recognise the Liturgy. And not because of the words. But then 'modern Christianity' tends to be non-Liturgical, so I suppose it's true that if Jesus came back ...

What I will agree with is that, with our intent focus on the material letter, the forensic detail, etc., we've lost access to a huge element of language, which is symbol. There, I would agree, much has been occluded, and the content of ancient texts is generally beyond us.

Compared to Antiquity we are 'intellectually narrow-minded' and are becoming increasingly more so as we determine the world according to ourselves.

To the Ancients, the veil between this world and other words was diaphanous. Today we are so focussed on the material, the the veil is concrete.

If Jesus saw all the people who abused his name for countless times, He'd be pissed beyond comprehension

Again, this have no relevance in the Christian sector. Even if you have problems understanding the logic of this, I think the fact that it's a against forum policy should be clear now.

Was Jesus a Jew or was he not? Christians are using a Jew to teach against his Faith which was Judaism and you don't find it relevant for a Jew to stand in favor of Jesus' Faith? What is your problem? Do you have some thing against Jews? Show me where it is against forum policy to put in a word in defense of Jesus' Faith which was Judaism.

If Jesus saw all the people who abused his name for countless times, He'd be pissed beyond comprehension

If Jesus was a Jew and many paint him as a Greek demigod as we have in Mat. 1:18, you don't find this to be an abuse of the Jew that he was? You are right, if he could know what they are doing to his name, he would definitely turn in the grave.

If Jesus was a Jew and many paint him as a Greek demigod as we have in Mat. 1:18, you don't find this to be an abuse of the Jew that he was? You are right, if he could know what they are doing to his name, he would definitely turn in the grave.
Jesus would be or is very upset over the use of his name in many ways to include war.

Was Jesus a Jew or was he not? Christians are using a Jew to teach against his Faith which was Judaism and you don't find it relevant for a Jew to stand in favor of Jesus' Faith?

The Christian faith is built on the idea that Jesus is the son of God, if he isn't then Christianity would be something else. But this is the Christian section, where Christianity is Christianity. It's encouraged to explore all aspect of faith in a respectable manner, at the right time in the right place. Bringing up the same thing in many different threads (that is discussion something completely different) is not respectful nor place. To create a new topic where the purpose is to discuss the issue, which you have, is the right place. People who find the topic interesting will then discuss it, there.

What is your problem?
I have no idea how to be clearer, what words don't you understand?

Do you have some thing against Jews?
Why would I?

Show me where it is against forum policy to put in a word in defense of Jesus' Faith which was Judaism.
Time and place, not all times and all places, then it's no longer interfaith.

The Christian faith is built on the idea that Jesus is the son of God, if he isn't then Christianity would be something else. But this is the Christian section, where Christianity is Christianity. It's encouraged to explore all aspect of faith in a respectable manner, at the right time in the right place. Bringing up the same thing in many different threads (that is discussion something completely different) is not respectful nor place. To create a new topic where the purpose is to discuss the issue, which you have, is the right place. People who find the topic interesting will then discuss it, there.

Why would I?

It is written that jesus never went against the jewish faith and he was a jew. To argue against this fact is sheer ignorance of historical fact.

And I have never once said he wasn't raised Jewish or even called himself a Jew, I said he was the son of God in the Christian belief. Please do try to keep up.

I for one would just wish JC would get his Holy Butt down here and straighten out the mess he created. And the same for Moses, and Mohamed, and the Buddha, and Shiva and all the other Great Religious Leaders.

They all started these religious orders, then took off and left fallible humans to interpret or misinterpret as they saw fit for the last couple thousands of years. It is way past time they returned and set the record straight.

I'm not holding my breath, though.

Jesus would be or is very upset over the use of his name in many ways to include war.

"He IS upset!" How can the dead be upset about any thing? According to Ecclesiastes 9:5,6 the dead once dead they no longer can express their emotions.

Why would I?

Oh! I see. But to teach against the Faith of Jesus which was Judaism every forum and at any time is open season to do so?

It is written that jesus never went against the jewish faith and he was a jew. To argue against this fact is sheer ignorance of historical fact.

And I believe so as I fully agree with you. How could a loyal Jew go against his Faith which was Judaism? On the contrary, Jesus himself declared to have come to fulfill and to confirm the Law and the Prophets aka Judaism down to the letter. (Mat. 5:17-19) The founder of Christianity, Paul, was the one who used Replacement Theology as the foundation of his Church. (Acts 11:26)

And I have never once said he wasn't raised Jewish or even called himself a Jew, I said he was the son of God in the Christian belief. Please do try to keep up.

You have said that you don't have a Bible. Therefore you are simply copying from Hellenism the Greek myth of the demigod which was the son of a god with an earthly woman to claim that such a myth is possible in Judaism. That's what I mean by vandalizing Judaism with the things of Christianity. Jesus could not have been the son of God just because Paul said so. (Acts 9:20)

I for one would just wish JC would get his Holy Butt down here and straighten out the mess he created. And the same for Moses, and Mohamed, and the Buddha, and Shiva and all the other Great Religious Leaders.

They all started these religious orders, then took off and left fallible humans to interpret or misinterpret as they saw fit for the last couple thousands of years. It is way past time they returned and set the record straight.

I'm not holding my breath, though.

Jesus never created any mess at all. Paul was the one who used him to create Christianity and cause all this mess in the world. (Acts 11:26)

To tell you the truth, I can't see the reason for the surprise. Jesus was a Jew whose Faith was Judaism. Why would he approve of modern Christianity? I find quite obvious that he wouldn't.
modern. Christians are not in the presence of God today.
that makes all the difference. Todays christians love one another as they are.
God loves us from what we are.
One is the love of the world. One one is the love of God..

One can easily telepathically communicate with the "other world", or as I prefer to call it "parallel universe". Learning to understand telepathy is somewhat like learning a foreign language, but once mastered, there is no limit for its use. Dreams are telepathy in the sleeping state.
I did learn to understand dreams and telepathy, did learn to interpret the symbolisms and I can indeed telepathically communicate with Jesus, ask him questions, decipher his answers. And you can to if you just set your mind to it.

Back