Theosophy vs. Syncretism

In my understanding Christ is not Jesus's last name. There is Jesus and there is the Christ....Jesus the Christ...

Jesus speaks sometimes as himself (human), sometimes as the Christ (the messenger/the modem/the conduit) and sometimes as the Father, invoking I am.

It is accessing the conduit, becoming one, grokking oneness, that I believe he is speaking of.

Keep our feet on the ground....on holy ground, for our feet are for under standing, don't worry about swelled heads...Thomas the Christ, Andrew the Christ....all is possible if we choose to connect.

Me? It appears I am quite addicted to the material world and have not quite ready to sell all I own....

In my understanding Christ is not Jesus's last name. There is Jesus and there is the Christ....Jesus the Christ...
Yes, but the text asserts that Jesus is the Christ personified. One and the same thing. Say 'Jesus' you mean Christ; say 'Christ' and you mean Jesus.

Jesus speaks sometimes as himself (human), sometimes as the Christ (the messenger/the modem/the conduit) and sometimes as the Father, invoking I am.
Yes. I too am human, I am a son, I am a father, sometimes a messenger/modem/conduit, sometimes a source. Do we not all? But we don't all claim to be Christ.

Eckhart, most famously, declared that when He is in God, all distinctions disappear ... but he never claimed to be Christ. He's far more profound than that.

It is accessing the conduit, becoming one, grokking oneness, that I believe he is speaking of.
I completely agree that on occasion Scripture speaks of Him that way – in His own words or in the words of the sacred scribe – but on other occasions He speaks of Himself in others ways – in His own words and in the words of the sacred scribe. Not the least His many claims to His divine authority.

It was this that got him crucified, after all!

And that when both He and the sacred scribe talk of the authority He claims, then that belonging to Him and Him alone, without question. It is His, it is never 'ours'. Anything we have from Him, and without Him we are nothing.

It is 'in Him we live and move and have our being', as the Cretan poet, and St Paul, say. Not in us He lives and moves and has His being.

Big difference. It's a matter of who we place in the prior position, 'Him or me'. I come down on the side of Him.

We have to balance all frames of reference, rather than choose one and ignore all the rest.

Thomas the Christ, Andrew the Christ....all is possible if we choose to connect.
If we connect, then it's Thomas in Christ, Andrew in Christ, Wil in Christ ... the Christ is the bit we connect to. It's in addition to us. Christ in one thing, not multiple things that share a striking similarity.

Me? It appears I am quite addicted to the material world and have not quite ready to sell all I own....
Ah ... that explains it then! ;) Sorry, my bad. Really, that applies to us all. To quote Gaff from the film Bladerunner, "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

But to be serious again, remember that Jesus also said He is bread, a door, a shepherd, a servant, a king, a groom, a worker, a traveller, a well, a spring ... the way, the truth and the life ... so we have to look at these things in the material context. No one's assuming He's actually made of dough, or wood ...

In my email...

Imagine a life in which even your most mundane daily tasks and activities were filled with reverence and a deep sense of divinity.

This is what Christing is all about - the divinization of our bodies and lives. Christ is not just the name of a person who lived 2000 years ago but a PROCESS of incarnating more of the Divine into our lives.

It's a journey than we can all engage to realize the union of heaven and earth.

This is the seed recognition from which a new understanding of our paths grows, according to spiritual teacher Saniel Bonder, who has spent a lifetime at the frontiers of transformation.

Saniel has worked on both outer and inner levels with great seers and sages and founded his own spiritual school. In the process, he's developed real breakthroughs that have allowed hundreds of people to fully realize this journey of incarnating the Divine.

That's why I'm excited to be able to invite you to experience Saniel's latest work on Christing during a free call next week called: " What is Christing 2.0? A Path of Incarnating the Divine into Your Daily Life."

You won't want to miss this event since Saniel will share powerful insights into how to open to more and more conscious love that can suffuse your very cells and contribute to "landing" in your body, relationships, and even businesses in a way that is unmistakably holy AND normal at the same time.

No matter what your current or past spiritual tradition (Saniel was even raised Jewish!), I encourage you to be present to this beautiful experience of coming home to your true nature. Saniel is an integral thinker endorsed by Ken Wilber and a profound mystic committed to healing the split between spirit and matter.

I studied personally with Saniel as a teacher for several years and even had him marry my wife and me because I have so much respect for his luminous clarity, vast heart, and path of divine embodiment. He's a great gift!

The event is FREE but you need to register here to join me to hear about how we make this journey REAL: What is Christing 2.0?

And do register even if you can't attend live as you'll be able to listen to the recorded replay at your convenience.

Stephen headshot Dec12 88x112.jpg In spirit,
Stephen Dinan
P.S. I believe that the whole intuition about The Second Coming is really an intuition that humans would evolve to the point where Christing becomes much more common and widespread. Saniel is at the leading edge of this work that I see as the core of a new era, helping us understand how we can engage this journey ourselves.

Register here: What is Christing 2.0?

ShiftNetworkEmailFooter-Short.jpg

Are you offering the above as an example of Theosophy and/or Syncretism?

Although I have taken notes, the question for me is how to be concise, or at least err on the side of brevity. What I will do is post 2 or 3 times, rather than one long, mammoth thing (alas, I say it, but seldom manage it!) - since some folks already can tell an elephant once they see the ice melting all around it, needing no further elaboration or commentary. Others behave like the Three Blind Men of Hindustan, no matter what you do, so I suppose it will all balance out ...

A few specifics:

Thomas said:
If I may say, it does rather seem to me that the Theosophical Association relies on 'The Emperor's New Clothes' argument: If we don't see it the way you do, then we're blind, stupid, corrupt or incompetent.
Some Theosophists, as Christians, Muslims, Jews or any other group, do prefer to replace one belief system with another. They become spiritual materialists by simply substituting Theosphical tents and doctrines for whatever didn't rub them the right way ... or else they make of Theosophy their first and only religion, having never before claimed any spiritual path as their own. Yet even the second group does not understand the Founders' intentions. To understand Blavatsky and to seriously pursue her intent - and that of H.S. Olcott and W.Q. Judge - is to come into contact with the sublime, liberating Teaching of the Mahatmas. And as it turns out, they did not provide us with a `new robe' to simply dress up in, for the putting on of airs. Yes, some see religion that way, and it shows. But that is not Theosophy, and that is not what is asked of a Theosophist.

The following is taken from the `About Us' page, on the web site of The Theosophical Society of America ... yet all true Theosphical societies and groups [of which there are several] believe likewise, and emphasize essentially the same:
"In accordance with the Theosophical spirit, most Theosophists regard Truth as a prize to be striven for, not as a dogma to be imposed by authority. They hold that belief should be the result of individual understanding and intuition rather than mere acceptance of traditional ideas, and that it should rest on knowledge and experience, not on assertion. Truth should therefore be sought by study, reflection, meditation, service, purity of life, and devotion to high ideals.

At the same time, Theosophists respect the different beliefs. They see each religion as an expression of the Divine Wisdom, adapted to the needs of a particular time and place. They prefer the study of various religions to their condemnation, their practice to proselytism. Thus, earnest Theosophists extend tolerance to all, even to the intolerant, not as a privilege they bestow but as a duty they perform. They seek to remove ignorance, not punish it; peace is their watchword, and Truth their aim.

--------------------------------

The Society is dedicated to promoting the unity of humanity; to foster religious and racial understanding by encouraging the study of religion, philosophy and science; and to further the discovery of the spiritual aspect of life and of human beings. The Society stands for a complete freedom of individual search and belief, while promoting in its members a willingness to examine any concept and belief with an open mind, and a respect for other people’s understanding."​

Thomas said:
In my own limited experience, Guénon has been the source of much fruitful insight.
Guénon reveals his ignorance the moment it sounds forth in an indictment of Theosophy ... the moment he refers to it as syncretist, and as "a counterfeit of tradition." Nothing more need be said to, or about one who has chosen his own blindness, further communicating his malady to those who would readily take up such shackles and add them to their own. Read such claptrap at your own peril!

Thomas said:
No. Guénon makes no claim to represent the Theosophical Association. Unless you're claiming that the Theosophical Association is the tree from which all the world's religions have sprung!
Thomas, I hope this isn't a deliberate attempt to confuse the issue. Please either refer to Theosophy - and keep it simple ... or else ask questions, where you don't understand. What is this `Theosophical Association' you speak of? Please provide links, a web site, a reference, or your own, tailored interpetation. As I say, there are many associations, societies and groups which comprise the modern Theosophical Movement. Such a modern movement began with HPB, Olcott and Judge, a triangle [and intentionally thus] that formed a nucleus for the One Work. This was HPB's own project and she bore the karmic fruit of it, which eventually did her in [at age 60] ... but it was certainly the project of the Mahatmas, too, once you understand something of the connection between Them and their `lay chelas.' The more you understand about Discipleship, both East and West, the more all of this becomes clear.

It's a good thing Guénon does not pretend to represent Theosophists [again, the `Association'? what?] ... since he accuses theosophy and occultism [use lowercase, if it's easier] as being syncretist. This is like saying Christianity is polytheistic. By most acceptable, conventional explanations, it JUST AIN'T SO. And this is the point of the thread. Either grasp that, or else ask questions for your own - and other folks' - edification. Otherwise, you're just banging your head against your own, interior walls. But do at least let's be clear about *which Association* you're referring to. And I'll go back and see if I missed a post or a link or something!

Thomas said:
Yes, but the text asserts that Jesus is the Christ personified. One and the same thing. Say 'Jesus' you mean Christ; say 'Christ' and you mean Jesus.
In short, Thomas has it completely wrong on this one ... :(

There is of course, room for a certain amount of interpretation.

Certainly inasmuch as `Christos' refers to the `Annointed' and completed or Perfected Initiate, we must be careful not to interpret the misunderstanding Thomas has posted as anything but a misunderstanding. In time, if he practices, there will indeed be a Thomas Christos, or an Andrew Christos, as wil indicates ... in the spirit of wil Christos, I must insist. Prior to the higher initiation, one may be a chrestos, or candidate FOR initiation. But we aren't speaking of Catholic tradition here, or Christian tradition from the 5th and 6th Centuries forward. The thread is not even about the specific path and process of initiation, yet for clarification, we must point out - I must - that Thomas is 180 degrees from the Truth on this one.

I refer him, and anyone else who's confused on the matter, to a short piece on `The Esoteric Character of the Gospels,' parts I, II & III. This will, if studied, pondered and contemplated, set you straight. If at first you don't succeed, try - try - again. But don't give up, and let's be clear about what plenty of Theosophists, occultists, esotericists and New Age folks do believe, the latter group being one which *would not exist* if not for Theosophists and their contributions, from the days of HPB forward, yet also hearkening as far back into time as the Egyptians, Toltecs, Atlanteans, etc.

Christ is one of the "just men, made perfect" in Hebrews 12:23, and the Divine Standard as it has applied to Jesus of Nazareth, and also applies to all of us, is made plain in Ephesians 4:13. Fail to grasp or apply the meaning of these verses, and you will fall flat on your face in the attempt to understand your own Higher Nature, that of Jesus, Christed, that of God ... and thus of Creation Itself. Yes, you might talk high'n'mighty, and have a head just brimming with knowledge. But you ain't grasped the simplicity, the Beauty and the Truth of Christ's OWN Teaching, *for us ALL*.

No, you don't need to convert to *anything* to become what you're meant to become, and you damn sure don't have to make lip-service confessions of being a Christian, a Theosophist, or anything else. A quotation in my next post, from the Nazarene Therapeute, should lend a bit more clarity ...

Thomas said:
If we connect, then it's Thomas in Christ, Andrew in Christ, Wil in Christ ... the Christ is the bit we connect to. It's in addition to us. Christ in one thing, not multiple things that share a striking similarity.
The thing here is that it's a bit like fractal geometry. IF a man understand fractal mathematics better, he might understand how Christ does indeed dwell within us, even literally, such that St. Paul's "Christ in you" is no more complicated than those words imply. But I do say, IF a man understood geometry, or the Christ, or Love, or God, or any of that ... including himself. Indeed, *IF* ...

Thomas said:
No one's assuming [Christ is] actually made of dough, or wood ...
Nor that we eat him, or drink him, if we're smart, wise, informed, etc. But that's asking a lot, isn't it.

And while I do believe we should seek greater understanding of The Christ, I'll be taking a Theosophical approach on the Alt and Esoteric forums. Even then, the only other Theosophists around here that I know of, such as Nick the Pilot, may not see eye to eye with me. And that's fine.

What I do is to bring my years and lifetimes of experience, study, meditation, practice, insight and exploration - mistakes, tears and all - to the endeavor. Having been a student of Alice Bailey's teachings, of Agni Yoga, of `The New Thought Form Presentation of the Wisdom' via Lucille Cedercrans, and of other Teachers and Teachings ... I do try to cast my net wide, while keeping in mind that some have never even heard of these authors and `chapters' in the account of the modern revitalization of the Mystery Teachings.

But once folks do realize that what we're dealing with here is the *Restoration of the Mysteries* and nothing less, I think they can decide for themselves that the TREE of my earlier metaphor is indeed, Theosophy - in the same way that when practiced, Christianity is indeed `The Teaching of the Master.' In either case, we can be true to the Mission and Purpose, or we can be less so, or our behavior, thoughts and actions can in fact pale by comparison. The excerpt I will share in the next post make this pretty clear.

wil said:
In my email...
wil, I like it! Christing and Saniel both sound intriguing. I'd attend if it were practical ... :)

I can't straighten out the discussion ... but I can suggest reading THEOSOPHICAL AUTHORS if you would like to learn about Theosophy, the Theosphical Society - be that in America, the HQ in Madras, India, or any other branch, anywhere in the world [it is very popular in Australia & New Zealand].

I would not read the writings of one so biased and prejudiced against Theosophy as Rene Guénon if I wanted to grasp WORD ONE about Theosophy. Since the man clearly has these biases and prejudices, and states outright that he sees only syncretism ... then by definition he does not understand, and has not experienced the kind of insight - at least into this subject - which is of benefit if we are to discuss Theosophy or grasp its essence.

The problem which Thomas has, as I have assessed it over several years, is that he cannot see the forest for the trees. His nose is quite close to the `tree' of his own preference, and this is Roman Catholicism. I cannot, nor do I intend to, remove his nose from the sweet-smelling sap or his chosen - tree. All I will do is remind him, where and whenever appropriate, that he is mispresenting, or has misrepresented, Theosophy, the Theosophical Society (probably any of them, any time, any place) ... and the modern Theosophical Movement. In this level of metaphor, Theosophy IS THE FOREST, Mr. Gump.

Sometimes such mispresentation may be intentional, clever and underhanded, but my job is not so to judge. Rather, I must assume ignorance, plus innocence - whatever I may suspect - and simply point out, "Hey, it ain't so," or - "No, you've not quite gotten this correct, nuanced or otherwise."

Theosophy is not Syncretism. It is, indeed -as per my earlier metaphor - the trunk of the ONE TREE [Bodhi, Yggdrasil, etc.], where that tree represents Truth, even unto Mankind's OLDEST and ORIGINAL TRADITION(s). The `s' is lowercase and parenthetical, here, because if you will read The Secret Doctrine, or at least its abridgement, or otherwise one of several modern works which attempts to summarize and gently interpret the sublime Wisdom presented therein ... what you will find is a well-documented account, with more footnotes and research than most of us could manage in twelve lifetimes, of the very STORY of Humanity, upon this Earth globe, for the past 18 million years and more. You will find, if you seek, an account of what happened prior to our arrival, or descent into incarnation, you find explained the conditions we have all undergone in our past evolution, as well as the `Cosmogenesis' which brought the Cosmic and Solar processes of Creation [Emanation] into the Planetary and later, Human, arena. And you will come up with far more questions than are answered, regarding all of this, yet you will have had your feet set upon the truth PATH OF UNDERSTANDING, and you will be enabled to move from the Hall of Learning to the Hall of Wisdom. Your journey, instead of being finished, will have just begun - AND YOU WILL KNOW IT.

Now, strange as it may seem, I can witness - all by little lonesome [and really, not, which some of us understand, and some of us don't] - precisely the Awakening, gradual and slow, across several stages and obviously several lifetimes ... of the spiritual Spark within the individual, incarnating Jiva. And since I understand how this applies to and within my own life, I do also know something about how it applies to YOU, whoever you may happen to be. This is why, even without knowing or hearing all of the particulars, I do in fact grasp something of the Universal(s). I would think that Thomas, of all folks, understands this notion ... yet if you claim a great degree of spiritual insight with one breath, and then deny something as basic as the Law of Rebirth with the next, I am forced - except in the case of a discussion involving other, interested parties - to simply clam up, as diplomatically, carefully and Soulfully as I know how. The reason is, those who wail and assail themselves against their own, inner walls of unknowing, simply cannot yet - until they choose - step twenty feet to the side, pass through the OPEN DOOR which the Christ Himself affirmed was, and is, available to us, and "SEE THE LIGHT," much less bask in it.

No, I am not a basilisk. More putty-like, at the moment, but still. I do know something about modern Theosophy, about its beginnings - or modern-day revival ... and I have myself been a student, among other students, in several study/meditation/service groups, while also using the writings of several different authors as our material. So I know something about Occultism, or Esotericism, as it is often called. If one's exposure has led to the term `esoterism,' that's a personal preference - maybe a British thing, but I can assure you, it just don't apply here in modern `Murica, so I stick to the spelling I know from 25 years and many, many generations of Theosphical writings. Many of those guys were Brits, however, so I kind of like to keep things simple.

The real intention of this thread was to help folks understand more about what Theosophy is, but the hope was that I might make headway by saying something about what it is NOT. And witting or no, Thomas has helped me immensely in this process. By quoting Guénon, he points out - along with being a perfect Guinea pig, again I think just by chiming in - precisely what it is like to fail to grasp what Theosophy asserts.

Today's world wants to be lazy, to simply find all the food on the plate, ready for you to gobble up without ever chewing, without thinking about it one whit. And that's not the purpose of Theosophy at all. That's the problem with those who nitpick and point, often invoking the `cafeteria religion' metaphor, while not realizing that their own practice has been to swallow whole, untested. The proof is in the pudding. Had such beliefs as Reincarnation been more thoroughly submitted to THE LIGHT, and I do mean THE mind of God, not your point of contact with it, since Thomas doesn't like that one [not good enough, you see, for HE goes STRAIGHT to THE mind of God] ... well, if all this is so, then by now you'd realize that we're all Reborn.

But you see, a good Theosphist (or Theosopher, as one man put it, with a smile) will never stand up and say, "Hey, you must believe in Rebirth," or the World Teacher, or any of that ... because as you may have noted earlier, INTOLERANCE is not what Theosophy is all about, any more than replacing *one* set of religious beliefs with another. And you can insist on being daft, but YES, the trunk of the tree IS Theosophy. It has been called Atma Vidya or Gupta Vidya, as well as the River Alpheus, or Ariadne's Thread. All of these, and dozens of other metaphors, have been present in Greek, Egyptian, Roman and earlier mythologies. To dodge them, in one fell swoop as it were, is simply to prove that your own religious beliefs currently serve for you as a veil - or perhaps Douglas Adams' *towel* ... and of course, ever hitchhiker knows the importance of said towel!

The truth is, we retain our crutch, often enough, long after we've even needed it. And I see plenty of evidence of that. How could I not? I DO RELATE ... yet the point of Buddha, or Christ, being the `raft' is not to strap it to your back once you've crossed the bridge. And of course, plenty still stand proudly upon *this* shore, just a-wearin' that raft as proud as they can be, struttin' their peacock feathers, showin' off their STUFFFFFFF. Yeah, spiritual materialism, gold candlesticks and all. Not what the good Pope Francis, or HH the Dalai Lama, are advocating AT ALL!

But of course, this has its parallels among or with Theosophists, and I know about that, all too well.

Time for another post ...

I will add, here, some bit of commentary, from Jesus of Nazareth - and if you'd only ask Him, you'd know the authenticity ... for THAT, as everything else in matters spiritual and religious, is a personal undertaking (the verification and triangulation of Truth, of Wisdom, when encountered). From `The Vision of the Nazarene' [by Cyril Scott] in the chapter `Of Prayer and Worship':

"Nevertheless, I also said: Wherever two or three are gathered together in my Name, there am I in the midst of them. But again many have misinterpreted the meaning of my Name.

For know that those who are gathered together in harmony, peace and love, and who call to me in the spirit of Service, they verily are [my emphasis] gathered together in my Name, and to them I come, because like attracts like.

But those who are gathered together to perform ceremonies with errant minds and hearts yearning for wordly things, to them do I not come, for their wandering thoughts never reach me at all.

And yet, think not that I am averse to all ceremonies even though I raised my voice against vain repetitions; for know that ritual and ceremonies are as the crutches to the lame of spirit, to be discarded when man has become whole in spirit.

Lo, nowadays many do scoff at these crutches of the halt and the feeble. And their scoffing is born of intolerance; yet in ritual devoutly performed there is my Power and my Love.

And in some repetitions also there is my Power, but in others is only foolishness and even harmfulness; for man, by reason of his materialism, has lost the Golden Key to the right use of my Ritual and my Words of Power.

And now, would I say; he who prays with true sincerity for the happiness of others shall obtain happiness himself, and he who prays for the enlightenment of others shall obtain enlightenment himself; for so doth he open the door to that Pure Consciousness which is Unity and Joy."​

Another chapter treats of Sciences and Cults, in which the Galilean Adept has this to say:

"The time is not far hence when man shall know Truth by direct perception, in that above the plane of Mind is the plane of Intuition, from which all knowledge can be directly acquired.

Enemies of religion and of me have scientists and scientific thinkers been called by the bigoted and unkowning; yet never can seekers after truth be mine enemies, for verily they are my friends.

Alone those scientists who devise deadly instruments of destruction are mine enemies for they are the enemies of Love.
Because pride and dogmatism ever close the shutters against the light of further knowledge, did it become needful to inspire another movement as a counteractive to their negations [St. Paul, now Master Hilarion, inspired Spritiualism - popular in the 19th Century - and this is the reference].

No longer should man be dependent on the word of those who believed or professed to believe yet had not seen. Proof was he to have offered him in place of that non-comprehending belief which had erroneously come to be glorified as a virtue.

Ridicule and sneers and slander were the weapons used to combat this new cult; so was it denounced even by my followers as something evil and ungodly, even though it hath and increasingly doth bring comfort and healing to the sorrowing and bereaved [John Edward bears the literal IMPRESS, the very likeness of - via the Augeoides - his own Teacher, Hilarion, whether or not his methods and practices are 100% legit, which is another matter].

Nevertheless, this do I say; in spite of denouncings and jeerings and revilings, this cult will prevail; fo the time has now come to span the illusionary gulf between the seen and unseen, so that man should know the truth of his immortality.

And that other cult [Viz, Occultism, Esotericism, Theosophy], which is the synthesis [added emphasis] of religion and science and philosophy, shall also prevail. Verily neither of these cults is the enemy of my faith; they are its complements and the complement of each other, and the Blessing of God is upon them."​

One might note that the subtitle of H.P. Blavatsky's magnum opus, The Secret Doctrine is presented as "the Synthesis of Science, Religion and Philosophy," and that she opens with the following quote from Montaigne:
"I have here only made a nosegay of culled flowers, and have brought nothing of my own but the thread that ties them."​

What this means is that the culled flowers are the many ancient, otherwise untraceable teachings from a variety of religious and spiritual traditions, the thead that ties them being the effort to distill them down to their common root - although such synthesis cannot ever, and does not in this case occur, via the use of Occam's Razor. Rather, HPB is often simply *recording* what was dictated to her, and in those cases where her mind was unprepared for the material being presented, great effort was expended to change this circumstance, such that she certainly - as a Soul - benefitted from the entire process vicariously. She was trained in Tibet, by the Mahatmas directly, having visited there twice, and in the second instance I do believe that she herself was assisted in the process of taking an initiation - which made her work in India and America, including her writings, possible.

Since I'm so damned long-winded today, there is a final chapter before I take a break ...

Theosophy was, and remains, the combined Work of Inspired, Illumined or Enlightened Adepts, the Mahatmas ... expressing their own Divinity, a true outpouring of the Love-Wisdom, the Illumined Intelligence and also the spiritually Empowered WILL of God ... in partnership with those members of our own Humanity, such as H.P. Blavatsky, and later Alice Bailey, et al, as have merited and demonstrated the right to such a working relationship, usually by virtue of the attainments across many lives of self-sacrifice and Love for fellow, struggling Humanity.

In short, the Bodhisattva, World Teacher, or Christ - as Christians refer to this figure - both sanctioned, and sent forth the mandate to present TO and FOR Humanity, an update, a `New Dispensation' of Teachings for Aspirants and Disciples, for the Aquarian Era. These have come forth in three waves, or time periods, with three main & different amanuenses involved. The first was H.P. Blavatsky, who co-founded the original Theosophical Society in 1875, writing Isis Unveiled and The Secret Doctrine for use by students, plus the short volume The Voice of the Silence.

The second wave, or phase of Teachings, was via Alice Bailey, consisting of 19 bound volumes published by Lucis Trust Pub Co, which Alice founded. These are available, as are the works of HPB, online, freely, and are usually downloadable in several forms. Alice's own writings consist of 6 volumes also published by Lucis Trust, yet she makes clear that these are her writings, only one being a joint project between her and the Tibetan Teacher (who translated The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali for her).

There are Theosophists who `can't quite figure out' whether or not Alice Bailey was, or is, a Theosophist, and that is a story unto itself - sad, silly, yet not so strange, given our failings and lower human nature (the `little self,' with its pettiness and jealousies, all of which demonstrated once Alice suggested that she had been visited by a Mahatma, even as a little girl) ...

The third `wave' of Teachings from the Mahatmas is definitely intended - as have been the other two - for ALL WORLD ASPIRANTS AND DISCIPLES, including Christians, and is by no means the `special property' of some chosen, favored group. The third such installment of Teachings may be yet to come. They will be recognizable as coming forth across the popular media of distribution, including radio, television and the Internet. Yet they will, for those with `eyes and ears,' be as recognizable as have been the earlier teaching of both AAB and HPB. And I can't tell you any more, since I know of a Teacher here, a few dictations there, but do not - myself - see the 3rd leg of Teachings, unless I'm just plain daft, which is entirely possible, being often the case.

But I do know that Christ Returns, or rather, reappears - with His avant-garde. These are the Masters of the Wisdom, including some figures which are very close to the Christ, such as the Adept Jesus, who is a `Lord of Compassion' (references here and here) ... as well as Master Hilarion, who was St. Paul; the Tibetan Master, who figures prominently in Biblical history both Old Testament and New; the Masters Morya and Kuthumi, who likewise appear to the Christian many times in one or another of their former lives [Pythagoras, Akhenaton, Balthazar, Melchior, etc.], and many others.

The number of senior Initiates who will be found, increasingly, at the head of the world's great religious faiths, environmental movements, scientific groups, economic organizations, political parties and universities ... is many, though perhaps not yet as great or as proliferate as are the initiates of lesser degree [Birth, Baptism, approaching the Transfiguration], plus the people of Goodwill who can and will be directly impressed and influenced by Divine Will, and by the Love-nature of the Christ and Masters.

The Goal of the Theosophical Movement, across several centuries - but in particular with respect to the Reappearance of the Christ - may be said to be the preparation for the Sons of Men, AT LARGE and en masse, even as the entire Planet Earth, to take the First Initiation, the Birth of the Christ within the human heart. This has no more to do with Christianity than with any other religion, and in fact, as most people can recognize, the organized religions have often proved more of an impediment and embarrassment to this aspect of the Christ's Work, than an asset. This will not for long remain the case, and the Noble sacrifice of many generations of occultists and Theosophists will one day be seen in its proper light and significance, such that those who love to bandy about dogmatic theologies, whipping their fellows with the lash of the tongue, will be glad to find a place under the Bodhi Tree at all - and, I predict, will be the greatest SUCK-UPS the Christ has ever in fact known, then or now. But time will tell whether the World Teacher even has time to entertain such nonsense, once SHE takes the stage and makes plain HER appearance to the world.

I predict that if only she will appear as a black, left-handed lesbian, we can piss off most of the people in the world at once who never really knew what the Christ was all about anyway, and meanwhile, most Theosophists I know can simply smile, give a quick wink, and get back to the Work - same as always. Yes, a lot goes on unseen and even unsuspected, but that's because, the moment you let certain cats out of the bag, they want to nail either you, the cat, or both to the TREE of their choice - whatever may be the popular shape among the natives, and whatever the common method of persecuting the Righteous Lightbearers happens to be.

Christ will, effectively, destroy the current Sanhedrin ... and I do think the Catholic Church knows full well, some of the more informed, about the changes coming down the pike. We will see what additional revelations come spilling forth form the Vatican Libraries, or what else the current Godsend, Pope Francis, manages to divulge and inspire. Perhaps he will not be poisoned by his own Curia, as was Albino Luciano ... and perhaps those with Eyes to see, and Heart to recognize, will even notice that it's Jesus Himself who can be found governing, from the Papacy in Rome, just as has been predicted.

You see, as Theosophists - and human beings - we are not only FREE to speculate, we are encouraged to do so. And while I make every effort to show GOOD TASTE along these lines, I cannot but screw up my face when I look back to all the slanderings - in the name of `religion,' a loving God or - heaven forbid, JESUS. I assure you, in each such case, "He did not know you." That's universal, and that's your Gospel (the Christian one, Christ's own Teaching) ... not my impress or interpretation.

Act in Love, and sure enough, Christ AS LOVE will be present. Make it any more complicated, and yeah, you pretty much deserve the mess you make of things ... although to be certain, the blood of the karma of confusion, is on YOUR hands. I know a bit about that, too. Don't ask.

Namaskar

Guénon reveals his ignorance the moment it sounds forth in an indictment of Theosophy ...
Actually, it's his insight into the heart of things that shines out. It's his insights into the core truths of all the world's traditions that first drew my attention to him. And the attention of others. I'd review your notes, if I were you, and not the ones provided by your mentors.

I tell you what stands out – plain as day – is your continual need to disparage everyone else. A wise man ... in fact a number of the wise across many traditions agree, that: 'If you've nothing good to say, better to not say anything'.

"And if I should have prophecy and should know all mysteries, and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:2

There's a lot of wisdom in Paul's words. Offer me knowledge or caritas, I'll take caritas every time. Knowledge without caritas leads to elitism, and I'm afraid down through the ages, the 'esoteric schools' reek of it. The one to which I belonged was full of it.

Thomas, I hope this isn't a deliberate attempt to confuse the issue. Please either refer to Theosophy - and keep it simple ... or else ask questions, where you don't understand. What is this `Theosophical Association' you speak of?
OK. Let me explain.

A Sufi, despairing of The New Age, once said:
Once the Way of the Sufi was a way without a name;
Today it is a name without a way.

A paraphrase might be:
Once the Way of the Theosopher was a way without a name;
Theosophy then was a universal – without form or formulae – it is not 'badged' as this or that, and finds its expression, naturally and supernaturally, across a broad range of disciplines – Platonic, Stoic, Jewish, Christian, Moslem, Brahminic, Buddhist, Daoist, etc ...
I say this for two reasons:
1: When HPB (or whoever) chose the name, they tried to 'capture' the universal and claim possession of it. In that moment, they lost it. But they still make that claim. To do so it necessitates that they, and they alone, are the only possessors, and that every other claim to theosophy is fraudulent.

You can't deny that. You say as much yourself. So does Nick.

The Theosophical Society is, inevitably, a particular style of theosophy. The claim that all other theosophies are wrong is specious.

2: I have been told here that, despite 'The Secret Doctrine' stating 'there is no religion higher than truth', that this is no longer a truth of the association. Today, I am reliably informed by a Theosophist, the freedom to believe in whatever one likes is more important than whether or not what is believed is in any way founded in the Real and the True.

In shorter short:
Universal theosophy is an objective illuminative unfolding.
Your brand is a subjective reductive enclosing.

CAVEAT:
Now, if this were the old days I would expect an excoriating series of personal attacks both on my character and my tradition.

Might I point out that you continue to do so, albeit in more discreet fashion, whilst I have studiously sought to stick only to the matter under discussion, and not engage in mudslinging ... please remember that. It's one of the facets of the modern Theosophist that I find most indicative of someone not quite what it purports to be.

+++

In short, Thomas has it completely wrong on this one ...
Really? :rolleyes:
There you go again: 'I'm right, he's wrong'.

In time, if he practices, there will indeed be a Thomas Christos, or an Andrew Christos, as Wil indicates ...
There is now, if only you could see it. ;)

... prior to the higher initiation, one may be a chrestos, or candidate FOR initiation ... But we aren't speaking of Catholic tradition here,
No, we cut through all that 'systematising' that you esoterists so love to do!

I refer him, and anyone else who's confused on the matter, to a short piece on `The Esoteric Character of the Gospels,' parts I, II & III.
I have indeed read them. I did so to refresh myself on the Chrestos/Christos debate. Suffice to say, if those papers were put forward for peer review ... :eek:

Actually, it's [Guenon's] insight into the heart of things that shines out. It's his insights into the core truths of all the world's traditions that first drew my attention to him. And the attention of others. I'd review your notes, if I were you, and not the ones provided by your mentors.
Dodging the bullet is fine, but you did not address my criticism. Guenon is biased, and he is mistaken. You may like his writings and find some of his insights helpful, but unless you can see past *his* shortcomings, you take them upon yourself, Thomas. You own them, and it need not be so.

The fact is, however, we barely begin to scratch the surface. Your antipathy toward Theosophy, Theosophists and all things Theosophical has been evident for years. It is not my part to speculate upon what karma, what personal experiences of your own led to this set of circumstances ... be they recent, or in some prior incarnation unknown to us all. But I do think you yourself tell a bit of the tale below, in mentioning your own, *direct* experience in an esoteric school which rubbed you the wrong way. This speaks volumes, yet I have to wonder if it has simply taken a decade to finally write (or type) those few short lines - so clearly.

Thomas said:
I tell you what stands out – plain as day – is your continual need to disparage everyone else. A wise man ... in fact a number of the wise across many traditions agree, that: 'If you've nothing good to say, better to not say anything'.
I will not watch you sabotage a discussion which I began as positive, and constructive, aimed toward clearing away a bit of the confusion which is sometimes brought to the table. And yes, chiefly by you. I have always pussyfooted around it, and yes, sometimes with less gracefulness than I know I ought to demonstrate. Yet Thomas, you make it a real challenge to pull Respect out of my ass when your Wytchfinder General mode gets turned on.

Maybe there's something you have to share from your favorite esoteric authority which actually adds to the discussion, and either supports the point, or else isn't simply a `drive-by' in which you yourself are hiding in the passenger seat, or back seat, letting Rene G. here take all the flak. I mean, did you get a chuckle out of it, or what?

The exact quote is "Modern counterfeits of tradition like occultism and theosophy..." ~ and I do not know what follows, due to the ellipsis. But the point is immediately understood that Thomas, and his confederate Guenon here, do not buy the description of what Theosophy is, given by Theosophists themselves, or by the Mahatmas, regarding the teachings that have originated with or been revealed by Them as Theosophy!

Well, you are certainly entitled to an opinion, and to believe whatever nonsense you set your heart upon believing, but Thomas, I'm not exactly as dumb as some of the folks who apparently are wowed and enamored with your towering intellect. I have said before, wow me with Church history, or whatever it is about your own path which - to be certain - I do not know. Roman Catholicism is just not my thing, but chances are that the experiences which you have had can provide a perspective which means more ... at least around here, than the price of tea in China. So ...

Trot out the Guenon if you must, but be prepared, please, to back up your assertion. You seem to think Theosophical ideas are pretty well a mishmash of whatever old HPB and her dupes could cook up with a ouija board ... for - though you yourself may never have uttered those words, the kind of disparaging, negative things you have to say about *all things Theosophical* or which do not smack of your own `esoterism' - say it or not, you make your opinions abundantly clear. And I don't find those pock shots, straw man attempts, gazes down your nose and vain efforts to simply brush aside what isn't convenient - as FRIENDLY, either.

Believe it or not, it does go both ways. And everyone knows it. There's probably plenty of room for both of us to learn - and demonstrate - that in fact, you don't have to be particularly fond of another person, or `like them' or their beliefs, or believe one word of it, or care to ... in order to strive toward the GOAL of rational, civil discourse. It's just that in this case, I happen to feel like you are out of your depth. You've had some experience, and maybe not just limited to one esoteric school ...

But Thomas, it's not safe to make too many assumptions about another person, or what they've been through, if they themselves have not shared it with you, or if you don't otherwise, somehow - know it. And one thing you'd stop blathering about - if you but knew it - is how Theosophy just doesn't `shore up,' or measure up, or `fit the bill' ... since for you, this is abundantly, ridiculously clear, while yet for many thousands of people, across perhaps 4 or 5, maybe more generations now, it does. And yeah, I mean all around this great big world, from America to India, Australia to Japan, the Philippines to Russia, and ALL over the UK, too. :D

All you have to be able to do, is accept that. And you're having a hard time. I'm sorry about that, for it's not my job to force you - or anyone - or anything ... while yet if I can help folks to see what it is that Theosophists DO believe, and what they ARE interested in doing, with respect to say, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, religions in general, politics in general, diplomacy in general, and so forth - then MAYBE, just MAYBE, folks will stop freaking out when they come into contact with people who are *not* Catholic, or Christian, or Pagan, or Agnostic at all ... but are, in fact, part of the modern Theosophical Movement or mindset. I realize that many folks immediately will invoke images of Shirley Maclaine, and that's not bad at all ... since `through the glass darkly,' yes, she *might as well be* today's HPB, for all we know.

Either learn to understand, relate to, connect with and thus achieve COOPERATION WITH your Brother, or else be condemned - self-condemned - to despise, to belittle, to combat or to try to CONTROL him. Our problems are deeper-rooted and more basic, in some ways, than some would like to admit, yet they are also, often by very virtue of this, almost - the same. They do overlap, and they do affect, as well as mirror, all of Humanity (and our collective problems). You can never do better than to acknowledge and accept this, and Ponder its implications ... except to APPLY that simple aspect our existence and [while remaining firmly rooted to this shared space upon the floor of this Cave] make the best of it.

Some will not like being told, learning, and having to face the FACT that we are, in this sense, almost literally bound - just a few feet away - from both our greatest Friends, in a very real sense, and our greatest adversaries. But if one understands the Allegory intimately enough to begin with, and is prepared to deal with the implications, imagine what use, how much greater benefit, this Soul - and heart and mind - is, and can be, in the Service of the Lord of Lords.

Now the difficulty is, if you cut yourself off from the Fountain, the Spring, the very Source of Wisdom and Love, and Truth and Guidance ... even in but one of its humblest, imperfect and proverbially wayward of exponents, then you also - even unwittingly - deny yourself a certain measure of the Light, of the Love, of that Truth. I hope that if you must Ponder again, and yet again what I have said, that you will see, even gladly acknowledge that it is so. It goes both ways, and if I do not have any exchanges with you - then whoever you are, or have been, or are yet to become - is temporarily *lost* to me.

But to see Thomas disappear from Interfaith.org, seems absurd. Projects do require our attention, and my time will come. I do hope you are returning, when time permits, and when the resolve to `Keep the Faith' is as strong as ever, and Service the same great Goal as it has ever been with you. And I am sure that this will be so!

"And if I should have prophecy and should know all mysteries, and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:2

There's a lot of wisdom in Paul's words. Offer me knowledge or caritas, I'll take caritas every time. Knowledge without caritas leads to elitism, and I'm afraid down through the ages, the 'esoteric schools' reek of it. The one to which I belonged was full of it.
Well, there you have it. We'd like everyone to be the perfect exemplar of Agape-Love, yet I would suggest that it is our own Journey, and our Co-Attainment of this *same Goal* which will hold us fast to the Path. We can easily see where our neighbor needs the improvement. To know ourselves as well - can take some Sirius huevos. ;)

Sorry that your experiences have been less than stellar. I have tales of three or four esoteric groups, and peripherally plenty more. I have overwhelmingly positive and Soulful, uplifting, moving experiences and memories, including the forging and renewing of most of the greatest Friendships I've ever made ... tales to share of Wonders, Beauty, Magnificence and all that I could have ever hoped and dreamed of. There is hard work, and there are stories of difficulties, periods of adjustment, trials which led to change and those which continue to call me Forward - while reminding me squarely, at times, of my own limitations (self-imposed or otherwise).

Most of all, however, I know of the possibilities - for us ALL - and I know that NOTHING can swerve our feet from the Path of evolution, and that all setbacks are but temporary, and experiences in the life of the personality but fleeting. With sound perspective, action in the present becomes more vital, never less so. The Solution is always provided, and guaranteed, yet it is up to us to discover this, to find the many possibilities and ways to apply a Solution, and to make sure that we gain from an experience whatever lessons are being provided from the Soul plane `downward.' Some lessons are familiar, and everything - truly everything we do in life - is the manifestation of a higher turn of the proverbial Spiral.

Love, the Great Law of Attraction, governs our entire Solar System. It most certainly does not originate locally, but it is the very Law of Life, the substance of our Being, and it is what the Feather of Ma'at is weighed `against' once we stand before Thoth-Hermes and hear our heart go `thud' upon that Libran SCALE, measuring in the Grand, Greater Balance how well we have connected - as did those folks in Ephesus so long ago - with the Apostle's words in chapter 4, verse 13.

To know that we are not judged and sentenced to an ETERNAL `reward' or `damnation' based upon a few, short decades (or none, for the stillborn) of FINITE actions, words and thoughts ... is comforting to me, and I believe that some `Knowledge' - certainly when provided, shared, taught and revealed in the Light of Love - is very much worth having, even cherishing above most other forms of knowledge, such as how to cheat while playing the stock market, or go fracking for natural gas on land that you don't own, or get away with crimes against both Humanity and Nature which in fact, we really ought not even be thinking about.

So yeah, I dig love ... and I want you to know, I DIG LOVE. I also know that it goes hand in hand with Wisdom, and that these, together, are but two sides of one coin, Yin and Yang, either one being non-existent in our Universe and for our Humanity, without the other. :)

The name of the game is - I like it like that.

A Sufi, despairing of The New Age, once said:
Once the Way of the Sufi was a way without a name;

A paraphrase might be:
Once the Way of the Theosopher was a way without a name;
Theosophy then was a universal – without form or formulae – it is not 'badged' as this or that, and finds its expression, naturally and supernaturally, across a broad range of disciplines – Platonic, Stoic, Jewish, Christian, Moslem, Brahminic, Buddhist, Daoist, etc ...
I say this for two reasons:
1: When HPB (or whoever) chose the name, they tried to 'capture' the universal and claim possession of it. In that moment, they lost it. But they still make that claim. To do so it necessitates that they, and they alone, are the only possessors, and that every other claim to theosophy is fraudulent.

You can't deny that. You say as much yourself. So does Nick.

The Theosophical Society is, inevitably, a particular style of theosophy. The claim that all other theosophies are wrong is specious.

No, Thomas, this is your projection, and it is your child. You have grown so entrenched - either as a Roman Catholic, or just as a person - that you do not even see the trick of the mind which has you duped, here. The evidence is right in front of you. Interfaith.org doesn't even know the word `theosophies' - because there isn't one. YOU invented it, just now. Your error is to divide the Wisdom of God.

You parade, profess, preach and carry on about what makes sense to YOU, in your theology, and where your search for meaning has led YOU. And that's well and good. But your attempt to exclude, to isolate, and to keep your own views, your own reasoning, your own theology, and your own sacred tradition PURE, PROTECTED upon ITS PEDESTAL - is as abundantly obvious as the fact that you have never understood the Mission of H.P. Blavatsky and countless other Theosophists, AT ALL.

Now, I cannot say that you have never tried, or sought to, but one thing I can tell you is, you have not succeeded. Judas may have thought, I argue that he must be considered rather than simply scapegoated, he *may* have thought that he was acting for a greater good. I believe that to try and force the hand of the Christ, and evoke the `militant messiah' out of Him, was perhaps his well-intentioned goal, a definite possibility. But he did not know well enough that Karma affected the entire situation, including the possible actions of the Master, and he did not at all realize the higher PURPOSES of the Ministry and Plan of God, with Christ at the hub of the wheel, and all of Humanity arm-in-arm along the periphery.

Thus, Judas betrayed his Master, and so did the other Apostles, even the closest ... which gives further poignancy to the prayers of Christ upon the Cross.

Now I assure you, what you say against or about HPB and Theosophy, you say against your own Lord, even Jesus of Nazareth, and also the Christ, and thus you say these things either for or against your Brother, and in the very Light and Love of God, and of Truth. There is no escaping that. You either know this, or you will know it. And that is that.

So if you want to throw some shade, just know that you bring the color - not Theosophists, or HPB, or Nick, or me, or anyone outside of your own darn self. We can each and all evoke the best from within another, or the worst, but most of the time we evoke something in-between automatically, whether or not we are intending to make things better or worse. The more weight we give to consciously invoking the Christ within, the more we will meet with success.

Should a person fail to even understand that there is a Christ Immanent, within his own heart - and within that of his Brother - regardless of what planet his Brother is from, or what he believes, or doesn't believe ... what tragedy for him who denies the Christ within simply owing to his own, daft ignorance. But woe unto him who knows, and yet denies, for his example is to be heeded, and his fate avoided. If I had to guess, I'd say you just plain don't know any better. And I forgive you for that ...

What I can offer, I may myself not even yet know or realize ... but one thing I will not do, is piss down your back and tell you it's raining. I will do my best to shake your hand, but I will - because I have learned to - watch whether or not there is a dagger in your other hand, and for that reason we may not, until this war is over, actually embrace.

The love of the Christ extends to ALL. And I hope you realize what that means. A Judas will write himself out of the Heavenly Father's proverbial Will, or Covenant, if he insists ... and thus one may encounter a Hitler, or - if we weren't careful, and had the Axis Powers succeeded, even worse. But those are sordid matters, and in my own `Book,' you and I are neither enemies, or so opposed in our Mission and Purpose [this go-round] that we cannot, or can afford not to, co-exist.

Keeping it Simple? Yes, KISS indeed. But I am awake while I sleep, and if I am fortunate, I even come Alive in my moments of Meditation. The rest of the time, I know my casket and my curse, I know my Lord, and I know that this is *not a dress rehears-al* ... this is the Real Deal.

Who knows where any of us were 1000 years ago, or 2000. The Greeks did seem to *speculate* upon it, but I give ol' Pythagoras, and Plato, Empedocles and Socrates, Philo and Plotinus, Porphyry, Hamlet and Horatio ... more credit than simply being good philosophers, poets and - stand-ins. The Tibetan, AND Egyptian Books of the `Dead' weren't just good guides for getting you BACK into the Spiritual planes, where each subsequent descent into RE-Incarnation begins. But then - it takes a person DIRECT, STRAIGHT KNOWLEDGE and EXPERIENCE to find these things out. Speculation, sure. OPERATIVE Masonry is what I'm talking about.

And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one in this greeeeeat big, rather expansive Cosmos ... to have figured out a tiny little piece of the puzzle, a corner of the pie. Hint: It's in the Earth, as well as the Sky. Don't let the Oil Robber-Barons take it all, or ruin the spoils of their smash'n'grab ... and maybe, just maybe the Christ will be able to help us build the New Church upon this ROCK [doh!] a little sooner, with fewer upheavals, than might otherwise be possible.

Part III of my reply was the longest, but it is lost. Thus for the better.

What you want Thomas, is to have it both ways. One. There must be a highest, final authority, or PROOF of the veracity of the Gospel. So it works for your theology, so you try to apply that template to Theosophy, and you err. You err because while Theosophists are human, with shortcomings, obstacles and all the challenges on the path of discipleship as the next bunch, we also don't mind taking out your middle men.

We manage to connect, plenty of us, straight with the SOURCE. Why read about some Westerner's interpretation of the Roman Catholic's objections to the false doctrine of Nibbana ... when we can sit, at the feet of the Master - and knowing ANY of the Mahatmas is a Blessing, a Gift, a Marvel and a Responsibility - receiving the Dharma directly.

Why quibble about who got which chapter and verse of the Gospels confused with which other chapter and verse, when there is the Illumination, the Insight, the Occult Commentary, and even the experience of the Mahatmas themselves - Jesus, the Christ, St. Paul, The Magi, Mary the Mother of Christ, and the Mighty Archangels direct - to compare with one's own best efforts, one's own aspirations, one's own current experiences, and one's own, highest, sacred IDEALS for the fulfillment of Soul Purpose, in Service to God's Plan?

You seem to think there is something missing, and if only you would bring me something I haven't seen, haven't experienced, or do not already know based upon my own path and experience ... I would observe it. At best, I have made the effort to practice, and observe greater Humility, yet this is difficult while being slapped in the face with a wet, dead fish, and being called `inauthentic,' the follower of a `false, syncretic tradition,' despite my knowing quite well and clearly, who is the less Illumined practitioner.

No, I will recoil when I can, and do have my days - and moments - and I am long-winded, and I DO drop the ball, failing to fly the Standard of the Higher Ideal, the Golden Stairs as HPB presented it ...

... but once the assault is on, and once Wytchfinder General mode is engaged, I cannot help but valiantly defend The Noble Sacrifices of Theosophists and Their Adept Inspirers. You assail both of these when you say word ONE against HPB, against Theosophy, and against its adherents.

This is not the same as disagreeing with a teaching, or questioning something even thoroughly. But these are not your method, your tactic, your goal, or your underhanded, dishonest practices ... and I have noted over the years that you can go from as pleasant as a partridge to as ornery as an alligator. Makara you and I may be, I'd as soon see the Capricorn after the Archer and Scorpion. Whilst yet Saturn applies its tests, it may be that we will not make the progress in discussion that I would hope. Discipleship is a thorny path, and we do not always yield to the Soul blithely. It is, after all, a Long, Dark NIGHT.

So no, I won't `take it lying down,' or at all, as that goes.

The discussion of chrestos and Christos may prove interesting, and maybe I will see you there. I don't expect much more to be said here, but I will certainly not address it, unless you at least try to support your arguments. Because ol' Rene has attempted to dupe us with a confusion between A. Crowley's "Do what thou wilt, shall be the WHOLE of the Law" ... and the `Nasti Paro Dharmah' - `No Religion Higher than Truth' motto ... does not mean that you have to follow suit.

Think for yourself, Thomas. I grant you that much, just after all these years of exchange. Surely you are brighter than that.

Here is Thomas, on the one hand prattling on about how well, how transcendent, how DIRECTLY his own theology and precious, narrow Catholicism seems to `grasp the Mind, Heart and TRINITY' of the Godhead ... oh, we go BEYOND all that systemization of you dumb esotericists, STRAIGHT to the source! ... and yet you cannot see that this is precisely what Theosophy DID DO, even as early as the days of the Mahatma Letters.

At great risk, it was acknowledged, the experiment with a new `wave' and phase of spiritual Teaching went forward, and not even with the full support of every one of their fellow Society members - the Society of Illumined Minds, Brother, the Hierarchy as it is known, and has been known for thousands, and in fact millions, of years.

But HPB proved that enough of a nucleus existed to justify the founding of the TS in 1875, and there has been a core of esoteric support from the Masters ever since. A dozen, two dozen, perhaps scores of additional groups, smaller movements and organizations have been birthed in the 140 years which followed. Sadly, one biased, prejudiced and soured Catholic would do away with generations of effort, thousands upon thousands of lives of commitment, fulfillment, self-discovery, God-discovery, Joy and progress ... all because - HE DOES NOT UNDERSTAND.

Either fix that, Friend, or soon enough, you won't be fooling anybody - but yourself. And if the light bulb is on, that won't even be possible, either.

We will see.

So, Andrew AFFIRMS the existence of a Bodhisattva, a World Teacher, the Christ of legend, of mythology, of MANY world traditions, and certainly of Esoteric Lore. But because he will not bow down before the Grand Inquisitioner and on peril of the fate of his `immortal soul,' tell dear Thomas here that "Jesus is exactly as you Catholics have decided, or keep re-deciding, or want ME to believe, regardless" ... because Andrew so refuses, Thomas must insubstantiate precisely those Theosophical doctrines which deviate from Roman Catholic dogma, namely, *most of them*.

Brother, I would just laugh, if people didn't once get burned, hanged, tortured, persecuted and dragged through the streets over this crap. But I also know which of the crap has to go. There's a Beacon of Light and Love which even now, as always, tells me so. And the easiest way for me to let that happen, is to just stand aside. If you charge, like the mad bull, determined to draw blood ... you may find, much to your chagrin, that it is your own Christ who bleeds for you, and the saddest lesson of all is what will go through your heart and mind in the moments that follow, after the sword or dagger drops, and once you understand these words:

THE SONS OF MEN ARE ONE, AND WE ARE ONE - WITH THEM
We seek to Love, not Hate
We seek to Serve, and not exact due Service
We seek to Heal, not Hurt.

You look up the other verses, and join in the Mantram of Unification, when you are ready. Do not fail to notice its earlier iteration, and be not surprised when you realize, St. Francis - said it first (or earlier).

So too, the Great Invocation has been spoken by the Christ since Atlantean Days, and it is but your Paternoster, in CHRIST'S OWN modern, updated `form' ...

Argue it with him, and tell HIM that "we really didn't need it," since - the CATHOLICS already knew all there was to know, practiced the Love of God perfectly, being in touch with the Highest Truths, far, far out of reach of the dumb occultists, who sought to pluck the star of the heavens - and lock it in a box (wait ...) ... and make away with God's own, greatest Wisdom.

And as you see that you are telling your own story, writing an autobiography, don't feel bad. I will still sign your yearbook, I will forgive you with even more authenticity and eagerness than ever before. And although I will not wipe away the tears, I will smile, since I am always - Your BROTHER.

Frankly, I don't give a damn that you don't trust, and have never trusted me. It's part of why you can't see past the glamours, and Maya, and realize word One when it comes to Theosophy. That's your bag, but once you see the problem as it is, I think you'll come round. In short, I will not deflate my ego, pack up shop, and let you set up `the new, Thomas-approved version of things.' If you manage to `keep me honest' by refusing to allow me to do the same, on the other boards at Interfaith ... then more power to you. But I don't think we have to rely upon you to do that at all. I think it will take care of itself.

Yes, do continue to ask questions, but try not to get so upset just because the Theosophists will ALLOW you believe what you want to believe, while only *encouraging* you to follow your own, chosen spiritual Path. I know it is a foreign concept to you, as you prefer to be told - what to do, how to do it, what to say, how to say it, what you cannot do, what you must do, and so forth. We don't work like that.

You see, we DO believe in the Atma-Buddhi-Manas within the human individual, and we find that SOUL needs none of our `worldly wisdom' and intercession, or interference, in fact - in order to Inspire us, and to overshadow us. Rather, by practicing some of the same techniques as do the Buddhists, as do Christians, as do yogis and shamans and shaberons, we can KNOW DIRECTLY the Love, the Joy, the Bliss, the Purpose, the Will and certainly the NATURE of the Soul, as it is all of this, all of these Qualities.

The esotericist does not rely upon priests and a paper pope. S/he takes her spiritual - as well as material - evolution into her OWN HANDS, and she does her best to follow the dictates of her OWN SOUL, her Conscience, as best as she receives them, or intuits them. Meditation strengthens the connection, study familiarizes us with the spiritual teachings as have guided Humanity for millions upon millions of years - always updated, revised, better presented BY THE HIERARCHY, with a WORLD TEACHER at its head, who knows His flock well, however widely dispersed and varying in their many practices and TRADITIONS.

*ALL of the above* - and more - constitutes SERVICE.

But the esotericist does not tell the Catholic that he is trying to have his cake and eat it too, unless he is selling indulgences. He prefers not to insist upon radical new theories or ideas, although he may not like being excommunicated - or burned at the stake - for showing that Saturn is out there in space, just like we are. And sure enough, in the modern day, the Theosophist hopes to enjoy that same opportunity as any to show that there are MANY roads, MANY paths, to the center of the Hub, the Heart of the System, the Truth which embraces ALL beings, ALL people, and even ALL of our mistakes, as it transcends - and rectifies them ALL, in a Higher LIGHT.

Where no one is interested, there are other responsibilities and - projects - which will most certainly call him away, assuming he is truly seeking the opportunity to be of Service. And I know this from experience, as well as the truth that `an idle mind is the devil's playground,' such that we usually get ourselves into the worst forms of trouble we've ever found. Thank Goodness there is also the helping Hand, to lead us away from our temptations, transgressions and trepidations.

May that same Hand, guiding as it does ALL of the Sons of Men ...
... remain within your aura, and may it lead you into Life.
May you hear the voice - of Diogenes Laertius.

Namaskar

Back