What's For Dinner?

The sourdough bread making is going great...last few loaves didn't need any measuring cups...eyeball everything and knead till the dough feels right.

Variances in temperature and humidity make it nearly impossible to accurately measure flour by volume anyway. My 'go to' cake recipe calls for 2 cups of flour, but on dry days I often get by with a lot less. Whereas I sometimes need more if it's raining. So I usually start with 1 1/4 cups and eyeball it from there, gradually adding more as needed.

I've made sourdough bread a few times. One of these days I'm going try my hand at soda bread.

"Chicken" soup with matzo balls that I doctored up with ginger, cinnamon, tumeric and Cinese five-spice powder (have to cut the saltiness somehow.) I also had matzo pizza. Tomorrow night's the last night of Passover (I can eat "normally".)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Yeah, I've heard that too. I've also heard that in small doses it can be beneficial. Flea control and whatnot. It's not a regular part of his diet though. Just something he sneaks a taste of every so often. Now if I can just get him to stop licking my Salonpas liniment.;)

I got a "care package" today, and one item was "bunny"-shaped macaroni. I made homemade macaroni and cheese using the shaped pasta and a cheddar that can pretty much cut itself. I made roasted baby carrots to go along with the mac and cheese, adding my special pumpkin pie spice blend (it includes ground cardamom, which isn't usually in pumpkin pie spice.)

I might bring some roasted carrots tomorrow for the potluck party/last day of belly dancing class since the carrots are diabetes-friendly as well as vegan. I'm not vegan, but there might be guests that are.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Vegan sushi roll (it had asparagus, cucumber and avocado along with the nori.) They served the roll with wasabi and pickled ginger, a packet of soy sauce to go with for the asking. Since they didn't have anything diet, I bought some bottled water to go with it. Later I bought a chocolate/vanilla soft serve twist in a cake cone (had to treat myself for not killing anyone up until then...)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

A little Szechuan Style chicken stir-fry.
100_2976.JPG

A cauliflower stir-fry, using orange, purple and green cauliflower along with tofu and other vegetables and a Korean-style sweet chili sauce. Alas, I was a bit of a pig...

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Sounds interesting. Don't think I've ever seen other than white cauliflower. We didn't pig-out too bad. Had to save room for homemade vanilla ice-block.:)

Sounds interesting. Don't think I've ever seen other than white cauliflower. We didn't pig-out too bad. Had to save room for homemade vanilla ice-block.:)

I guess that I'm lucky that I look around at the different offerings in the produce area of my local grocery store (concerning the different cauliflowers.)

I have a problem that you don't face: I live alone and I don't necessarily get along with my neighbors. Most refuse to eat anything that doesn't contain meat, and the ones that will eat vegetarian stuff claim that they are on some "special" diet (like the "macrobiotic diet" or the "only organic diet", etc.)

I have sugar-free chocolate fudge cheesecake ice pops in my freezer, waiting to be eaten when the temperature goes above 80° again (instead of vanilla ice block...) Might try making a lavender vanilla "ice block" just as an experiment...

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I guess that I'm lucky that I look around at the different offerings in the produce area of my local grocery store (concerning the different cauliflowers.)

I have a problem that you don't face: I live alone and I don't necessarily get along with my neighbors. Most refuse to eat anything that doesn't contain meat, and the ones that will eat vegetarian stuff claim that they are on some "special" diet (like the "macrobiotic diet" or the "only organic diet", etc.)

I have sugar-free chocolate fudge cheesecake ice pops in my freezer, waiting to be eaten when the temperature goes above 80° again (instead of vanilla ice block...) Might try making a lavender vanilla "ice block" just as an experiment...

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

The wife makes a trip every couple weeks to an Asian/Indian grocery about 15 miles north of us. They have all sorts of interesting produce. I'm not sure if they have multi-color cauliflower, but I doubt it will be on the wife's shopping list anytime soon. Ever since I told her what was used to make the brains in an old horror movie we were watching one time.:D

Shame about your neighbors. We get along great with ours. They're the same way though. If it ain't got meat, it ain't supper. We have no special dietary restrictions, but we don't eat red meat and do try to limit our sugar intake as much as possible.

Vegetarian taco salad using leftover taco shells, sugar-free white chocolate pudding and sugar-free decaffeinated raspberry iced tea. :kitty:s are eating ocean whitefish and tuna gooshy food in gravy, sprinkled with catnip.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Vegetarian pepperoni pizza (vegetarian pizza that I added vegetarian "pepperoni" to) and homemade pineapple granita. Will have leftovers for a couple/few days... Furred managers had adult formula dry food and fresh water.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Didn't know if I wanted pizza or waffles, so I made pizza waffles! Need to make homemade waffles for this experiment. Had diet raspberry iced tea to go along with the waffle. :)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Farmers Market this afternoon in the city. Fresh corn. What a delicious dinner!

Back