Which history would you visit?

I would like to go back to my homeland Cyprus as it was 12'000 years ago. Apprently it was Atlantis www.discoveryofatlantis.com , I want to see if the people had any similarity to us today and if they look anything like me :)

Yes, it would be interesting to take a closer look at Galilee during the first few decades AD.

Pre-Islamic Arabia might also be interesting.

How about the Mayans?

InPeace,
InLove

Ancient India would be fascinating. So would Ancient Mesopotamia. I'd also like to see America during her frontier days.

I suppose the only history I would never want to visit would be 1300's European - the Black Plague would just be too horrible to witness.

Pesach! At the Beit ha-Mikdash! And Yom Kippur... I want to know what it was like for my ancestors back in the day, how they encountered God, what it was really like to do a coming-close, a qorban, with the incense and the Leviim singing and the noise of the crowd and the smell of the barbecuing meat. And I want to go earlier and offer up at one of the many slaughter sites too from my own flock. And I want to hear the prophets speak. And I want to go later in one of the first synagogues, davening by memory. And I want to go to the Beit Hillel and learn there. Oy that would be wonderful. Maybe too I should visit a concentration camp so that I really know. And maybe too I should visit the hasidim in Europe (I want to meet Reb Zuzya and see how much about his stories tell truths about his character.) And I'm sure I could keep going. My ancestral history pulls me in every direction.

Dauer

dauer said:
Pesach! At the Beit ha-Mikdash! And Yom Kippur... I want to know what it was like for my ancestors back in the day, how they encountered God, what it was really like to do a coming-close, a qorban, with the incense and the Leviim singing and the noise of the crowd and the smell of the barbecuing meat. And I want to go earlier and offer up at one of the many slaughter sites too from my own flock. And I want to hear the prophets speak. And I want to go later in one of the first synagogues, davening by memory. And I want to go to the Beit Hillel and learn there. Oy that would be wonderful. Maybe too I should visit a concentration camp so that I really know. And maybe too I should visit the hasidim in Europe (I want to meet Reb Zuzya and see how much about his stories tell truths about his character.) And I'm sure I could keep going. My ancestral history pulls me in every direction.

Dauer
Shalom.Dauer,

Shalom, Dauer,

Yes, maybe the night when God instructed the nation of Israel to take nourishment from the sacrificial lamb “…with your cloak tucked into your belt, your sandals on your feet and your staff in your hand (Exodus 12:11). I think that that must have been something hard to retell, so even though it would have been unimaginably difficult, I am sure that it was also something glorious. I would have to say that it would be very interesting to study. In more than the many ways it has been presented.

InPeace,
InLove

Last edited:
To Dauer,

Sorry, I tried to edit my post, but the fonts kept messing up--or maybe it was me. Anyway, I needed to tell you that there is no hidden meaning there!:) Just trying to cut and paste, and had trouble.

Shalom,

InLove

I would have to ask, what really happened there? There are modern scholars who suggest that originally there was a fertility festival in which a lamb was sacrificed in the spring and also a separate festival involving the simple unleavened bread, neither of which would have had to do with the Exodus. And then those who came into Canaan brought their stories and over time it all got mixed together, maybe not completely until the Babylonian Exile. THat's one possiblility.

I think it would be awesome to visit sacred history too, and I'm sure it's been done on Shamanic journeys. I know I've read a guided visual meditation about crossing the sea. But I want to know what it was really like for the real people, because I think as the approach to God shifts from generation to generation, it can get a little hard to connect with the older experiences, like the slaughter of an animal. But to actually be there and be a part of that, I can imagine it being deeply spiritual...

unless there's too much kibitzing, too much side chatter. I don't like that at shul. Then again, at the Beit HaMikdash things might be different. Maybe I would like it.

Dauer

I would watch, hidden from a distance as Shakyamuni reached enlightenment under the Bhodi tree, and then wait until Brahma and Indra came and begged him to turn the wheel of Dharma.

Then I would listen to him teach and I would understand his words even though I do not understand the language. I would become his disciple and learn the Dharma from the lips of the newly manifested Buddha and perhaps I would be liberated in that very lifetime.

Would anyone be interested in the Protestant Reformation? I think the whole thing would be fascinating--I wish I had a videotape of Luther hammering the proclamation to the door--so to speak.

As always,
InPeace,
InLove

Okay, Constantine, then, and the Nicaens? (sp?)

Just pushing the conversation--I really don't want it to get lost.

InPeace,
InLove

Would anyone be interested in the Protestant Reformation? I think the whole thing would be fascinating--I wish I had a videotape of Luther hammering the proclamation to the door--so to speak.
It would be really neat just to sit down and speak with Luther. I've heard he was a serious nut-job (like many geniuses ;)):D

You know I think I've had favorite historical periods that I'd like to visit but in learning more about them and studying them, I have come away with the feeling and apprehension that there would be such a "down-side" to my visiting that period.

Some people like the Elizabethan era, but if they were close to the Court of Elizabeth they could quite easily lose their heads!

But one thing I'd think I'd like about the past and that would be nice to restore would be a slower sense of time...

I was researching a 1907 newspaper for my fatehr who was seaching for his grandfather's obituary... I couldn't find it even though he was buried in my town. But in searching this old newspaper, I really had the strong impression that everything was a lot slower and less harried.

So if I could have something from the past, it would be a less harried existence and slower pace of life.

A very interesting discussion. I'm assuming that if we could travel back in time we would need to speak a variety of languages...

There are so many excellent places in time in which I would like to visit. I couldn't possibly name all of them. These are my top choices:

I would go back to the time of the Buddha and listen to one of his many discussions on Dharma (Dhamma). I would also visit many of the empires that existed way back when such as Greece, Rome, Egypt, Babylon, etc. Also some of the South/Central American people like the Inca, Maya and Aztec (although I wouldn't want to be around for the human sacrifices to Huitzilopochtli, their patron god).

It would also be very interesting to be around in the time of the European explorers (late 1400 to early 1500 CE). Some of them were so mystified by the "unknown" while others were convinced that they knew what the world looked like (such as Christopher Columbus). I would've loved to just point them in the right direction.

The replies have been great so far, keep 'em coming! :)

If we can travel in time, could we not move forewards instead of backwards and see which (if any) of our promised prophets, messiahs and buddhas will arrive?

Awaiting_the_fifth said:
If we can travel in time, could we not move forewards instead of backwards and see which (if any) of our promised prophets, messiahs and buddhas will arrive?

I put 200 bucks on the sayoshant. Anyone want to get in on this?

Well I'd bet everything on Maitreya, but since the time is not yet right I dont think Id be able to collect in this life.

Forgive my immense ignorance but who is the Sayoshant? (I know very little about Judaism which is, I assume, the relavent faith here)

I think Dauer was maybe joking a bit but a Saoshyant is from Zoroastrian tradition and is a Promised Messiah... there is more than one Saoshyant and some have posed the idea that Meitreya concept could have been influenced by Saoshyant. One example is found in John Clifford Holt's introduction to the Anagatavamsa Desana 1993 edition published by Mottilal Banarsidass, Delhi.

Also see this:

Saoshyant
 Concise Encyclopedia Article Page  1  of  1

In Zoroastrianism and Parsiism, the final saviour of the world.

He is the foremost of the three saviours who are posthumous sons of Zoroaster. He is expected to appear at the end of the last millennium of the world, miraculously conceived by a virgin who has swum in a lake where Zoroaster's seed is preserved. He will vanquish demonic power and resurrect the bodies of the dead, bestowing eternal perfection on them after all souls have been cleansed.

Source:

http://www.britannica.com/ebc/article?tocId=9377742&query=savior&ct=

In my religion Baha'u'llah (1817-1892) has been identified with Maitreya.

- Art

Yes, Sayoshant! Super-Sayoshant! Super-Maitreya! Fuuuuuuuuu siooooooon ha! Super-Sayotreya!

Judaism has the moshiach/messiah, a concept in significant ways different from the Christian concept, the traditional idea of which, the triumphalist one about a person, I reject.

Dauer

Hello
Anytime between 400Bc and 300bc. Pellopenesian wars, thermopylae , Mantinea,
its sad really that in any period of history id want to be in the thick of battle.
Im really not a violent person but im drawn to ancient warfare like a moth to the flame. also, at the height of Alexandria in egypt, i could spend years in that great library. Id love to meet alot of people of that time, maybe just a glimpse of what they looked like, Herodotus, Perikles, Leonidas, Agis ,and of course Alexander of Macedon.
Hm my two cents.

I do believe I'd like to travel back to that point of time in history - whenever it may have been - when there was a Wisdom in Egypt as familiar to the average citizen as arithmetic is to people today. I would like to have been present when the Sphinx and the Giza Pyramids were seen as the Guardian and the Temple, respectively ... and not just an enigma and some tombs.

I might not have had the mind for geometry or the higher calculus, but to have even been present when these were more commonly accepted as attainable by all ... would have been (was?) a blessing. I would give anything to have had the rare honor & privilege of learning something of the Sacred Science of Astrology/Astronomy ... from those who designed those mighty monuments and saw through to their completion - by means that we have yet to re-discover & understand.

I know, or believe that the secrets are safely guarded, tens of thousands of years later, but to see them unearthed & made available to the spiritual seeker of today ... would be like traveling through time - both to Ancient Egypt (and Atlantis), as well as to a similar Utopian future which may yet dawn if are able to reconcile our differences and work for it.

Until the time is right, there is always the Imagination! :)
protokletos

Back