About Homosexuality and Religion

KnowSelf

Reaction score
Baptist are in staunch opposition regarding homosexuality as mentioned in the Bible, however, I am not so certain that homosexuality is a sin based upon the understanding homosexuality is not a choice toward compatible attraction. in truth I do not know, God's thought on this matter except for what is written in the Bible.

Be wary of the King James Version then! He was gay.

You are a Christian right? Most Jews I know have no issues with gays... So stick to the NT and tell us what Jesus has said.

No one "knows" what God's "thoughts" are. Any Divine Inspiration is based in the personal interpretation of a symbology that has no verbal translation. The "Gospel" translated as the teachings of Jesus "The Father" is Love, we are One with The Father, love Him as yourself and your neighbor. Love is the only Truth that is necessary. It is the unconditional love of God. Unconditional means: no conditions, no exceptions, no "ifs, ands or buts". Very clear, too simple for most to comply with.

No one "knows" what God's "thoughts" are. Any Divine Inspiration is based in the personal interpretation of a symbology that has no verbal translation. The "Gospel" translated as the teachings of Jesus "The Father" is Love, we are One with The Father, love Him as yourself and your neighbor. Love is the only Truth that is necessary. It is the unconditional love of God. Unconditional means: no conditions, no exceptions, no "ifs, ands or buts". Very clear, too simple for most to comply with.

Social tolerance has changed since 1960 resulting from Civil Rights and freedom from discrimination laws social tolerance has evolved. The bible condemns homosexuality Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 and Romans 1:26-28.

I have trouble supporting these texts, some claim homosexuality undermines God's created order between man and woman to procreate and replenish the earth. If this is the only argument against same-sex relationships then what about birth control? If the prime object of sex is replenishing the earth then why is family planning accepted practice and same-sex relationships forbidden according to the scriptures listed above?

I believe we have limited control in altering who we really are. We can change our behavior and build character but we can't change who we are.

I got a bushel of stones, let's get started!

For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.

10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

In Islam, sex is not simply for the purpose of replenishing the earth.

There is reward and pleasure.

It is narrated that once Imam Jafar Al-Sadiq asked his students - “What is the most pleasurable thing?” To which they responded, “There are many pleasurable things.” He then says, “The most pleasurable thing is making love with your spouses.”

It was reported from Abu Dharr that the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said: “In the sexual intercourse of any one of you there is reward.” They said, “O Messengerr of Allah, when any one of us fulfils his desire, will he have a reward for that?” He replied, “Do you not see that if he were to do it in a haraam (forbidden) manner, he would be punished for that? So if he does it in a halaal (permissible) manner, he will be rewarded.”

Social tolerance has changed since 1960 resulting from Civil Rights and freedom from discrimination laws social tolerance has evolved. The bible condemns homosexuality Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13..........
Christian scripture does not form any part of my bible, so I will leave to others to make any comments concerning 1st Corinthians and/or Romans. As for Leviticus, it can in no way be considered a blanket prohibition of same sex activity as it does not mention women who engage in same sex activities, nor will you find any elsewhere in the Torah where lesbian sex is explicitly dealt with.

While the Torah clearly prohibition some male homosexual activities under some circumstances, it is less clear that the condemnation is a blanket condemnation of all sexual acts and it is less clear as to whom the prohibition applies.

Oh, the shackles that bind influential minds when authority misleads.

It has been my interpretation of the "condemnations of homosexuality" refer to the practice of pedophilia, not relations between adults.

It has been my interpretation of the "condemnations of homosexuality" refer to the practice of pedophilia, not relations between adults.
Did not know that, what about Sodom and Gomorrah?

1) Did not know that,
2)what about Sodom and Gomorrah?

1) Are you saying that you didn't know this was the poster's interpretation or are you saying that you somehow think the poster is providing the interpretation?
2) Sodom and Gomorrah is not about homosexuality.

My upbringing only included homosexuality, thank you forum I’m learning

Been listening to Alan Watts “Out of your Mind” it has affected feelings toward church and religion. I’m finding fault with things I was taught and the way church is conducted.

Sorry to butt in. But isn't the word 'sodomy' derived from the Bible story of Sodom and Gomorrah? I don't have any investment in the issue of homosexuality addressed in the thread. Sex lives of consenting adults who do not want to impose on others. But I'm interested to know how Sodom is not connected?

Last edited:
I remember that the cities were destroyed because there were no righteous people there, not because they were inhabited by gay men exclusively.
In particular, the inhabitants did not respect rules of hospitality.

In particular, the inhabitants did not respect rules of hospitality.
Yes, exactly. The sin of S&G was not that of the love of two people of the same gender. It's was more akin to rape: "... the men of the city beset the house both young and old, all the people together. And they called Lot, and said to him: Where are the men that came in to thee at night? bring them out hither that we may know them... " (Genesis 19:4-5).

Note that Lot was willing to hand over his two virgin daughters to the mob (v8) ... go figure ...

another example of being led to believe S&G was about homosexuality.

I am merely a product of the food I was given

Be wary of the King James Version then! He was gay.
LOL, so wrong on so many levels! :D

One: Alluding to James' sexual orientation at all would suggest homophobia on this side of the pond.

Two: James was the sponsor of the project, not the translator, and there's no evidence nor suggestion that his sexual orientation had any bearing on the project whatsoever.

Three: As well as relationships with male courtiers, there are the many children born to his wife, and a mistress, so not really 'gay' in the 20th century sense, it cannot be argued he was 'in the closet' nor that his relations with women were simply to provide an heir and as 'cover' for his homosexuality.

Four: Whilst he shows remarkable public and private affection, that does not necessarily assert the affections were overtly sexual. James might well have been 'camp' (to retrofit another modern term), or he might have been such a predatory heterosexual that it didn't really matter if one wore trousers or a skirt.

Five: Our understanding of sexual orientation today means we should be careful about assuming convenient 'norms' when looking back on past lives. Looking at his exhortations against sodomy one could read the history in such a way to suggest that James — who never knew his father nor really his grandfather – was brought up in a severely dysfunctional household and could have been the victim of grooming and abuse by the much older Esmé Stewart, 1st Duke of Lennox! (Highly unlikely, I'll admit.) Or his relations with older men might simply be affections directed towards an absent father ...

Me thinks thou dost protest too much.

All of your points do not deny what appears to be factual...he sponsored a translation of a book which is used to decry male to male sex acts while participating in male to male sex acts himself.

I could care less, I simply point out the irony which covers the cake.

Back