Evolution is Unscientific

You always see the negative aspects. A good shaman, priest, rabbi, guru, prophet, imam will search to heal and strengthen the soul. There are and have always been those who just profited from their position and those who take their task serious.
That is not fully accurate as even well intended Shaman, like any other religious leader, can have a weak moment. It isn't either / or.

I do not deny 'Punctuated Equilibrium'.
Then what argument do you have with me? Humanity "suddenly" gained symbolic thought, and there is no environmental reason shown to have caused it.

That's it. What further legitimate argument can there possibly be?

Then what argument do you have with me? Humanity "suddenly" gained symbolic thought, and there is no environmental reason shown to have caused it.

That's it. What further legitimate argument can there possibly be?
How do you figure "Humanity "suddenly" gained symbolic thought"?
Why would that be and not a product of evolution?

It took more than a 1,000 years. It began with Ardipithecus kadabba some 6.8 million years ago or Austrelopithecus afarensis some 3.9 million years ago.
ov250pq1nytg6nmm8w4y0vfdt3xsvte.png

I do not believe in existence of soul. I am an atheist.
I don't know how you want to name what I called the soul. My understanding of the soul is independent from religion, the total of conscious and unconscious state or state-holder in us. So, maybe psyche, anima, mind, person...

And I'm sure quadratic equations were required survival traits.

:rolleyes:
Babylonian mathematicians, as early as 2000 BC (displayed on Old Babylonian clay tablets) could solve problems relating the areas and sides of rectangles. There is evidence dating this algorithm as far back as the Third Dynasty of Ur.
Geometric methods were used to solve quadratic equations in Babylonia, Egypt, Greece, China, and India. The Egyptian Berlin Papyrus, dating back to the Middle Kingdom (2050 BC to 1650 BC), contains the solution to a two-term quadratic equation. Babylonian mathematicians from circa 400 BC and Chinese mathematicians from circa 200 BC used geometric methods of dissection to solve quadratic equations with positive roots.
These early geometric methods do not appear to have had a general formula. Euclid, the Greek mathematician, produced a more abstract geometrical method around 300 BC. With a purely geometric approach Pythagoras and Euclid created a general procedure to find solutions of the quadratic equation. In his work Arithmetica, the Greek mathematician Diophantus solved the quadratic equation, but giving only one root, even when both roots were positive.
In 628 AD, Brahmagupta, an Indian mathematician, gave the first explicit (although still not completely general) solution of the quadratic equation ax2 + bx = c as follows: "To the absolute number multiplied by four times the (coefficient of the) square, add the square of the (coefficient of the) middle term; the square root of the same, less the (coefficient of the) middle term, being divided by twice the (coefficient of the) square is the value." This is equivalent to:
b7b95da94d1b56f6b23d48f357f7164c61257038

Last edited:
The state-holder is brain when the organism is alive, and nothing/dust after that. Why would I name something which I know does not exist?

The state-holder is brain when the organism is alive, and nothing/dust after that. Why would I name something which I know does not exist?
It's above all because we can't understand your brain with our brain.
Besides, the neural system is very complex; there's a system called autonomous nervous system, which seems to act autonomously in many tasks, still being interconnected with the rest of the body including the central nervous system. But even in there, it seems that there are processes that shortcut the brain, and many things inside the brain are not evident to our consciousness.
Even though this is bound to matter, where I fully agree with you, we are bound to make abstraction from it, and think on a higher abstraction level. You can't improve ones well-being through the electro-chemical processes and the interconnections of the nerval system.

Babylonian mathematicians, as early as 2000 BC (displayed on Old Babylonian clay tablets) could solve problems relating the areas and sides of rectangles. There is evidence dating this algorithm as far back as the Third Dynasty of Ur.
Geometric methods were used to solve quadratic equations in Babylonia, Egypt, Greece, China, and India. The Egyptian Berlin Papyrus, dating back to the Middle Kingdom (2050 BC to 1650 BC), contains the solution to a two-term quadratic equation. Babylonian mathematicians from circa 400 BC and Chinese mathematicians from circa 200 BC used geometric methods of dissection to solve quadratic equations with positive roots.
These early geometric methods do not appear to have had a general formula. Euclid, the Greek mathematician, produced a more abstract geometrical method around 300 BC. With a purely geometric approach Pythagoras and Euclid created a general procedure to find solutions of the quadratic equation. In his work Arithmetica, the Greek mathematician Diophantus solved the quadratic equation, but giving only one root, even when both roots were positive.
In 628 AD, Brahmagupta, an Indian mathematician, gave the first explicit (although still not completely general) solution of the quadratic equation ax2 + bx = c as follows: "To the absolute number multiplied by four times the (coefficient of the) square, add the square of the (coefficient of the) middle term; the square root of the same, less the [coefficient of the] middle term, being divided by twice the [coefficient of the] square is the value." This is equivalent to:
b7b95da94d1b56f6b23d48f357f7164c61257038

Yeah, I had already referenced Babylonian mathematics recently, thought it was this thread but it was in another.

Doesn't change anything, still chasing around in circles. None of this (symbolic reasoning) is *required* to survive or thrive, and yet seemingly pops up out of nowhere.

You're confusing . . . in post 365 you are making an argument FOR Evolution however, Evolution doesn't 'suddenly' happen it is a long long process . . .
That was already covered. I can only presume you haven't kept up with the discussion.

It is called Punctuated Equilibrium.

A thousand years is a long, long time to you or me. In terms of evolution, a thousand years is very quickly. Humans, in the space of about 1 to 2 thousand years, went from living in caves to tending fields and living in walled city / compounds. And there was an explosion of knowledge. The only thing that changed...environmentally...was the addition of grain to the human diet.

Humans are not ruminants, we did not evolve to consume grain. But "we" began cultivating grain for cattle feed, beer and bread, not necessarily in that order, and grain has become so ubiquitous that "bread" has become a symbol for food in general.

And the most important change to come about during this period of time, right at the end of the Ice Age, +/- 10K years ago, is the human "opening of the mind" to symbolic thought. It is thought that opioids in the grain affected the brain in such a way that certain functions kicked in, but I can't say exactly when this occurred. And all of these changes took place in the span of 1-2 thousand years. It would be another 2-3 thousand years before Stonehenge or the Egyptian Pyramids would be built.

Gobekli Tepe...and there are enunciation marks I can't make on my English keyboard. I believe it is in Turkey. It predates even Sumeria.

Even though this is bound to matter, where I fully agree with you, we are bound to make abstraction from it, and think on a higher abstraction level. You can't improve ones well-being through the electro-chemical processes and the interconnections of the nerval system.
Whatever abstractions or falsehood we create is all because of the electro-chemical processes and the interconnections of the nervous system.

None of this (symbolic reasoning) is *required* to survive or thrive, and yet seemingly pops up out of nowhere.
It was required by the officials of Babylonian kings to measure land and decide tax thereon.
No tax - no kingdom - no protection of the army - no support for intellectual activities. One thing leads to another.

Back