Your belief

That was just rude. And untrue. You say few bother and than most Christians. Which is it. You may be referring to carnal Christians but Spirit filled Christians are a new creation you may not understand that we are very sensitive to the Holy Spirit and His convictions of our sins. We understand that we are not saved by our works but that works are a product of our faith.

We revere the Old Testament as we believe Jesus is in every book. If you care here is a link.

In my experience this would be the exception, not the rule.

I've lost count of the times I've heard that "the Old Testament doesn't matter anymore." I've heard this so often from every corner of Christianity. Apart from one Pastor who does (did, he's passed away now) teach from the Old Testament routinely, I've not heard a Pastor even mention the Old Testament in any other context in 40 years. (Allow me to correct myself, an occasional part of a Psalm or oblique reference to Job without actually reading from that book)

I wish I were exaggerating.

And if my grammar may have seemed confusing, let's try this:

I would say all of the Old Testament is important to Christians. However, few bother.

Most Christians dismiss the Old Testament as unimportant and irrelevant

When was the last time YOUR Pastor taught directly from Judges or Kings? Hmmm?

Last edited:
It’s interesting how many different stories I have been told over the years about Islam. I know Muslims who would not agree with you. I have been told that all Muslims go to the Garden with rivers running under it. Even if you have done more bad than good, they still get there. It’s much like the Catholic religion, all Catholic get to heaven because they belong to the church and a Priest will forgive them at their last rites. Your definition of faith, certainly do not agree with the Jewish or Christian definition of Faith.
For sure I heard many Christians who have views that are different from yours, not only Catholics but also Protestants. Same in Islam. And yes, there will be quite a lot of Muslim who don't agree with me.

For sure I heard many Christians who have views that are different from yours, not only Catholics but also Protestants. Same in Islam. And yes, there will be quite a lot of Muslim who don't agree with me.
Yes, involve man in anything and the lies start pouring out.

We are all sinners .. but not equally so.
We are all sinners equally. Jesus died for the sins of the the whole world not for a select few. My sins would be considered worse because I have the truth. For whom much is given much is required. Let me tell you I repent a lot!

And around and around we go...

It isn't that good works are not to be done, it is that good works need to be done in the correct spirit / motivation / intent. Good for its own sake.
And I've said this before I believe when we face the Lord to give an accounting it won't be what we think we did right that will be rewarded.

And I've said this before I believe when we face the Lord to give an accounting it won't be what we think we did right that will be rewarded.
Exactly. I've said the same thing here before too!

It's not about what you believe, it's about what you do with what you believe.

Where is your heart?

You do need to guard your heart, but your heart will do for what your heart connects with. I call it circle of influence for my own understanding, but it is family and friends you interact with routinely.

Last edited:
In my experience this would be the exception, not the rule.

I've lost count of the times I've heard that "the Old Testament doesn't matter anymore." I've heard this so often from every corner of Christianity. Apart from one Pastor who does (did, he's passed away now) teach from the Old Testament routinely, I've not heard a Pastor even mention the Old Testament in any other context in 40 years. (Allow me to correct myself, an occasional part of a Psalm or oblique reference to Job without actually reading from that book)

I wish I were exaggerating.

And if my grammar may have seemed confusing, let's try this:

I would say all of the Old Testament is important to Christians. However, few bother.

Most Christians dismiss the Old Testament as unimportant and irrelevant

When was the last time YOUR Pastor taught directly from Judges or Kings? Hmmm?
I would love to introduce you to my pastor then. Pastor Bill Quinn of Calvary Chapel Fort Worth.

There's a movie called Jesus Revolution out that was based on the founder of our church Chuck Smith. All Calvary Chapels teach expository ..through the bible book by book.

I think your experience is limited and your experience with Christians night be quite limited as well? My daughters church which teaches topically just did a teaching on Hannah and Samuel this morning in honor of the kids graduating high school.

Btw Numbers and Leviticus are the harder ones for me.

Btw Numbers and Leviticus are the harder ones for me.
My eyes glazed over reading some of those books. I'm sure if I was more invested a lot of that would make more sense, I think there is an underlying "instruction" (I don't know a better word to use). It is over my head in a lot of places.

I started a thread about the Wilderness, for the time they wandered coming out of Egypt, maybe you would like to participate?

That is awesome to hear.

I've been burned by "good" Christians, so I tend to keep myself scarce.
That makes me sad. There's a song by Todd Agnew called My Jesus if you don't mind. Here are the lyrics

My Jesus

Which Jesus do you follow?
Which Jesus do you serve?
If Ephesians says to imitate Christ,
Why do you look so much like the world?
Cause my Jesus bled and died
He spent His time with thieves and liars
He loved the poor and accosted the arrogant
So which one do you want to be?
Blessed are the poor in spirit
Or do we pray to be blessed with the wealth of this land
Blessed are they that hunger and thirst for righteousness
Or do we ache for another taste of this world of shifting sand
Cause my Jesus bled and died for my sins
He spent His time with thieves and sluts and liars
He loved the poor and accosted the rich
Who is this that you follow?
This picture of the American dream
If Jesus was here would you walk right by on the other side
Or fall down and worship at His holy feet
Holy, yeah...
Pretty blue eyes and curly brown hair and a clear complexion
Is how you see Him as He dies for your sins
But the Word says He was battered and scarred
Or did you miss that part?
Sometimes I doubt we'd recognize Him
Cause my Jesus bled and died
He spent His time with thieves and the least of these
He loved the poor and accosted the comfortable
Cause my Jesus would never be accepted in my church
The blood and dirt on His feet might stain the carpet
But He reaches for the hurting and despises the proud
and I think He'd prefer Beale St. to the stained glass crowd
And I know that He can hear me if I cry it out loud
I want to be like my Jesus
I want to be like my Jesus (hey yeah)
I want to be like my Jesus (oh oh ohhhh)
Not a posterchild for American prosperity, but like my Jesus
You see I'm tired of living for success and popularity
I want to be like my Jesus but I'm not sure what that means to be like You Jesus
Cause You said to live like You, love like You but then You died for me
Can I be like You Jesus?
I want to be like you Jesus
Source: LyricFind

I do not understand how you seem to separate "Christian" from "Catholic" given that:

"The Catholic Church, also known as the Roman Catholic Church, is the largest Christian church"

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church

😕
True. It is more accurate to recognize Catholicism as a part of Christianity.
In common parlance at least here in the US, Christianity is often used to refer to Protestantism in its many forms and then Catholics are labeled specifically as Catholics. I think some Protestants don't know Catholics are Christians. Some of this is anti Catholic bias. I remember my grandparents having some anti Catholic sentiments, not so much for the people as for the church and what little they knew of the theology.

Some of this is on the Catholic church for being rather exclusive, at one time Catholics were discouraged from ever setting foot in Protestant churches. So they set themselves apart.

The Church of England is Anglican Protestant but functions more like a Roman Catholic church which it broke apart from.
There are layers to that... there are some variations within the Church of England in terms of practice, the Catholic like practices are considered 'high church' or even AngloCatholic, which refers to a 19th century movement to revitalize the church by returning to its roots I believe. Then there is the concept of "low church" which is more evangelical in nature, and "broad church" which is more like what are called mainline Protestants in the US.

There is an Episcopal church near me (the American wing of the Anglican church) which states it is "Anglo Catholic" in practice. I haven't gone yet to see what it is like.

No offence. Going to church just for "hatches, matches and dispatches" is I think typical in this country for many people who self-identify as Christian. They probably haven't read anything from the Bible since they left high school. When asked about their religious beliefs on the national census, or on a form, they will without hesitation tick the box "Christian."
Sometimes called "cultural Christians"

Yes He did. Jesus said before Abraham was I AM
I always wondered about that one. Was he saying "I am" referring to himself?? OR... referring to the way God referred to himself "I am that I am" also translated "I will be what I will be" Was he calling himself God, OR just referring to the existence of the Great "I Am" the God of Abraham.

Certainly they would not. I am taking about the Pharisees in Jesus day.
John 10:33 (NASB95): The Jews answered Him, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God.”
Did they think he WAS God, or they interpreted him to be claiming he was God? I'm sure they weren't convinced he WAS god. They felt he was on a high horse and acting equal to God, I think. As to whether he WAS God... boy do I wish his words were unambiguous straightforward and direct. Especially about something so important.

Back