False prophets.....

Postmaster

Reaction score
I really should start to read the bible.. Truth is I haven't really read it fully, but I think its something I have to do.. For historical and religious education.

I have a question, did the New Testament talk about any false prophets? And can anyone see this as a connection to Muhammad? Who came 610 year later?

There are many references to false prophets in the bible.. If you have not read the bible then I suggest that you do that how else can you know what God wants you to know. How to discern false prophets is actually pretty simple..

Matthew 7:15-23 "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

All true Christians are in agreement that our standard is the Word of God, the Bible. God left us this Book as a reference, standard, or gauge so we could know whether something is good or evil, truth or error, right or wrong. (2 Timothy 3:16-17: "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.'')

The Lord said in verse 20 of Matthew 7 that we would know them by their fruits. What are these fruits? Galatians 5:22-24 defines them as being the fruit of the Spirit. "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts." We are told to look at their lives and see if these fruits are predominant in them and examine if they are living the crucified life. Of course, we must allow for imperfections that have not been overcome yet; but we should readily see the fruit of the Spirit in more abundance than the imperfections. One way we can check this is to notice the words that a man speaks. The Scripture says in Matthew 12:33-35, "Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit. O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.''

Deuteronomy 18:22 when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the thing does not happen or come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.

Hebrews 5:10-14 called by God as High Priest "according to the order of Melchizedek," of whom we have much to say, and hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food. For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

1John 2:3-4 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, "I know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Romans 16:17 Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them.

John 10:3-5 To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers."

" I am the Good Shepherd, and know My sheep, and am known of Mine. As the Father knoweth Me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down My life for the sheep... My sheep hear My Voice, and I know them, and they follow Me" (John 10:14-15,27).

"For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect" Matthew 24:24

What then of the prophecies that Jesus would return in the first century? People were waiting for him to come back in the flesh. It didn't happen. This is spoken about in Paul's letters and epistles when the members are told to make themselves useful, work with their hands until the day comes.

"Under the law there were at least five classes of speakers -- Moses, the lawgiver; the wise men, who gave counsel; priests, who taught the law; prophets, through whom God spoke His word; and psalmists, who were the singers or poets in Israel" (Homer Hailey).

"By way of general definition, a prophecy is an oral or written disclosure in words through a human mouthpiece transmitting the revelation of God and setting forth His will to man" (Gleason Archer, Jr.).

God told Moses that his brother Aaron would be his "prophet" (Ex. 7:1). God then explains the nature of this work in Exodus 4:14-16 ...... the prophet is a "mouthpiece."

Fore-telling the future was only a small part of prophecy; the major work of the prophet was to reveal God's will to His people ...... what God expected of them in the present. "As a spokesman for God he was more a forth-teller than a fore-teller" (Hailey).

http://www.zianet.com/maxey/Proph1.htm

I was involved in a huge thread on this a year ago I will see if there is any other interesting info that I posted there and report back.

Love beyond measure

Sacredstar

For example, God's word clearly teaches that "all are not prophets" (1 Cor. 12:29). However, in the last days, "all can prophesy" and have dreams and visions whether they are prophets or not:

"But this is what was spoken of through the prophet Joel: 'And it shall be in the last days,' God says, 'that I will pour forth of My Spirit upon all mankind; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams." (Acts 2:16-17 KJV; see also Joel 2:28-29; 1 Cor. 14:31)

Onwards and upwards and party on in GOD's zone nobody is excluded from hearing GOD.

Sacredstar

didymus said:
What then of the prophecies that Jesus would return in the first century? People were waiting for him to come back in the flesh. It didn't happen. This is spoken about in Paul's letters and epistles when the members are told to make themselves useful, work with their hands until the day comes.

And I am, which means that the letters are still serving their purpose. And yes, people were expecting Jesus to return then, just as I am expecting him to return in my lifetime. For me, it's a prudent path to follow. But I also know that, just as Jesus said, nobody knows when he is coming back except for the Father, and Jesus is coming back at a time when he will not be expected. He was expected in the first century AD, but with every subsequent century his return has become less and less expected.

Probably because human kind have become more and more selfish...he will not return to be crucified again....so it is our choice how long we wait, our free will. It could have happened a 1,000 years ago but we missed the opportunity............

blessings

Kim xx

Emmit Fox said that Jesus will return when we stop looking to the sky for him but look within.

Jesus doesnt even know when he will return.. only the Father knows. The believers are to have Faith in his return and watch for it so that Jesus does not return as a thief in the night.

Faithfulservant said:
Jesus doesnt even know when he will return.. only the Father knows. The believers are to have Faith in his return and watch for it so that Jesus does not return as a thief in the night.
Mark13
And Jesus answering them began to say, Take heed lest any man deceive you: For many shall come in my name, saying, I am {Christ}; and shall deceive many.
And when ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars, be ye not troubled: for {such things} must needs be; but the end {shall} not {be} yet.

Jeremiah 29
For thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Let not your prophets and your diviners, that be in the midst of you, deceive you, neither hearken to your dreams which ye cause to be dreamed.
For they prophesy falsely unto you in my name: I have not sent them, saith the LORD.

Jeremiah 9 Their tongue is as an arrow shot out; it speaketh deceit: one speaketh peaceably to his neighbour with his mouth, but in heart he layeth his wait.

More messages of fear and condemnation from the bible I see, may I ask do you really feel that if Jesus returned today that he would condemn anyone?

Listen to the intelligence of your heart and soul not the intellect of your head prior to responding.

Why do CF's glory in the doom and gloom in the bible? Why not embrace all that is good, enlightening and can assist others to find the light and GOD within?

Love beyond measure

Sacredstar

sorry if you see gloom and doom in the bible. I see truth and victory.

I suppose if you believe in the divinity and word of Christ then you are truly on the right path and nothing negative can come out of it, but it doesn't mean nothing bad can come of individuals, we have nothing to fear not even death or disease if we have God, only Good comes out of the bible and its something we should abide by and accept. Keeping things as simple and as close to God is to me the best way.

and what victory is there in condemnation?

Did Jesus not teach us to love our neighbour as ourself without discrimination? To not judge others lest he be judged?

I shared the good tidings that are in the scripture.

being love

Sacredstar

Star, if you do not like the bible, then leave it. We Christians love the bible. All of it.
If you feel the bible is gloom and doom then dont read it.

Some of us put our entire faith in the bible and we see and have experienced victory, power and the love of God. So why do you condemn the bible, seeing that is what we base our faith on. I consider that condemning and judging us who believe in the bible.:(
You have passed many judgements on the scriptures we believe in as guidance, counsel, might, faith, understanding, love and deliverance.
You will never be able to destroy the bible, no matter how hard you try.
It would help if you stopped fighting it so much and just leave it if you do not like it.

There are many false prophets among us, and there are true prophets. One cannot know a true prophet without also recognizing a false prophet.
Hello? This thread is about the false prophets who lie in deciet.

Sadly, I am starting to lose interest in the gnostic, mystical approach you have toward Christians and your constant bashing of the bible, which many put there faith in the bible. You are doing this in almost every thread a Christian starts.

If you would read it all, from beginning to end, insteading of picking and choosing what meets your needs, you will see there is victory.

Sacredstar said:
Listen to the intelligence of your heart and soul not the intellect of your head prior to responding. Why do CF's glory in the doom and gloom in the bible? Why not embrace all that is good, enlightening and can assist others to find the light and GOD within?

Will Jesus condemn anyone? No. But people are free to condemn themselves, and it's likely that there will be many who will, and the only one who will glory in their condemnation is Satan.

Now I don't consider myself to be a CF, but I am certainly a Bible-believing Christian. I don't glory in the condemnation of others, but my heart and soul leap at the thought of Jesus coming back tomorrow, that I could actually see him-- the real, tangible him-- with my eyes, hear his voice, and even give him a hug. And I glory in this because I understand the alternative-- the condemnation that I was in jeopardy of before I came to know my Lord. The one who is forgiven much loves much; unless one understands how much they have been forgiven, how will they ever love beyond measure?

Sacredstar said:
More messages of fear and condemnation from the bible I see, may I ask do you really feel that if Jesus returned today that he would condemn anyone?

Listen to the intelligence of your heart and soul not the intellect of your head prior to responding.

Why do CF's glory in the doom and gloom in the bible? Why not embrace all that is good, enlightening and can assist others to find the light and GOD within?

Love beyond measure

Sacredstar
because we do not live in a fairy tale.. there IS evil in this world and no matter what YOU say we cannot redeem ourselves.. its not biblical and has no meaning to us that believe the bible over the words of men.

We dont see it as doom and gloom... you see it as doom and gloom because if its correct you've been wrong for a long time.

Back