Your religious/spiritual journey

We can't forget Daniels fast!

..or the fast of Dawud [ David, the author of Psalms]
Every other day.

I've tried it .. oh boy .. it's very hard.
It is much, much easier to fast every single day.
..but then, those things that are of great benefit are usually not easy.

I remember my grandfather fasting when I was little. I believe they were Jewish fasting days and was encouraged to engage in this practice by the Worldwide Church of God he was a part of.

Yes .. let's :)

Muslims fast the month of Ramadan, by abstaining from food, drink and marital relations
between sunrise and sunset.
The first 10 days bring the Mercy of G-d upon the world.
The second, God's Forgiveness.
..and the last 10 days bring emancipation from the fire of hell.
All praise is for the Lord of the Universe!
Y'know, as someone who has lived in a Muslim country(UAE) for many years, i think many Muslims may eat more during Ramadan than normal days. When the fast was broken at the evening time, so much gorging and gluttony took place as I saw with Muslim buddies and at restuarants.

Reactions: RJM
Although it seems the thread has moved past the meditation topic, I had some thoughts about that still.

When I was a teenager my mom and I got some self help tapes that had a metaphysical bent, I guess they could be loosely described as new age, sort of. They had guided meditations which my mom could really get into. I had a lot of trouble keeping my mind on them, it would always wander and I would lose track of the meditation.

One is that I'm not sure which form of meditation expects the practitioner to empty their mind, and I'm also not quite sure what is meant by that.
I do remember at Unity church we had prayer and meditation and we would discussing "quieting the monkey mind" which is about the constant thought content bouncing around. It was either our minister or someone else who said they managed this by thinking of their meditation as a visit with God, and if their mind wandered, they would acknowledge "God and I are looking at the grocery list" and then bring themselves back to the purpose of their prayer. The church also painted the words "Peace. Be Still" behind the lectern, with lights on it at night, so people who passed at night could see the phrase through the windows.

About a dozen years ago or so, not far apart in time from the memories I described above, I had an interesting experience. Sometimes when I was by myself I would grumble and rant aloud about some problems I was trying to resolve. It was always my assumption that God and/or whatever angels were supposed to be around me, were my audience in the background, whether or not I was intentionally engaging in any petitionary prayer or anything. One afternoon I was grumbling away about this that and the third that I thought I would have to do, or whatever help it was I thought I wanted or needed and couldn't get, when I just froze in my speech and my tracks and my mind went (relatively) blank. There was no dissociative experience or anything, I was aware of my surroundings. Just my train of thought stopped in its tracks. No more careless words or vain imaginings. I didn't lose free will or anything. I could start thinking again or start talking or moving again if I really wanted to, (I tried and realized all of it was possible but would take greater than normal effort and I wanted to see what was up and not override it).

So I gave it time. And it lasted for several minutes.

It would be easy enough to say that God just cut me off in my babbling. After all there are biblical account of Ezekiel and Zachariah being struck dumb though the context is somewhat different and it seems like trying to draw too strong a parallel would miss the point. There was simply no additional information presented indicating either rebuke (ex. "stop this how dare you"), or comfort (ex. "it's okay relax") no feeling like either of those, but more like the experience of a nonchalant coach repositioning you if you're performing a skill wrong (ex "no not that way this way") No emotion either way, nothing threatening or reassuring, nothing trying to scare me away or draw me in, just, STOP, experience this "empty" (ish) state for a moment. Akin to, Just listen. I could hear and see my environment, and not much was going on.

I had it happen again a few months later, and a few more times. If I grumble or rant in private, I hit a wall and just have to stop. And just be in stillness -semi-blank for a bit. No more careless words or vain imaginings for some minutes.

Nothing else ever happens, I never lose track of where I am, I never do anything weird or get any weird messages or anything, no visions, no strange sensations, no sense that I'm transported to anywhere else, no altered states of consciousness nor any nightmares or anything else weird, no belief changes, no headaches or dizziness in those moments or close in time to it, no seizures, nothing like that, what I described is just it. Nor is there any substance use that would play any role. It's always very simple and no different than when some skill or technique performance is being adjusted, a nonchalant, unemotional course correction, no rebuke, no comfort, just a redirect into a long moment of silence free of excess thought content. (aka sans the careless words or vain imaginings)

I don't know if I could get there by deliberate meditation in any form if I tried.

So with that in mind, to enter the astral plane or any of the other "planes" of existence they talk about -- total unknown! If it's real, I don't know if it's any safer than stepping off a cliff in this world, IMHO.
Have you looked into the techniques for achieving astral projection? They all rely on visualizing specific types of stuff during the day and before you fall asleep. I dunno if its something similar to lucid dreaming, which is a scientifically verified state of the brain. In both cases, you fill the mind with the idea of what you want to achieve and then when you fall asleep, it happens. Could be a form of triggered dreaming.

Have you looked into the techniques for achieving astral projection? They all rely on visualizing specific types of stuff during the day and before you fall asleep. I dunno if its something similar to lucid dreaming, which is a scientifically verified state of the brain. In both cases, you fill the mind with the idea of what you want to achieve and then when you fall asleep, it happens. Could be a form of triggered dreaming.
I have heard of things of that nature, but never really researched them.

I don't know if I could get there by deliberate meditation in any form if I tried.

You can. The specific form is called 'zazen meditation' from the ideas of Japanese Zen teachings. Most meditation in the East is seen as spiritual in some form, I think. The stuff about focusing on the breath was just a step to training the mind to focus on something, anything and maintain that focus.

Zazen was meant as a path to focus on the mind itself. Initially as you do it, you lose attention and get carried away into the thoughts that arise. But with practice, you would watch the thoughts come and go. You wouldn't interact with them, just be aware. With time and practice, the frequency of the thoughts would decrease and eventually, there would be long stretches of pure, silent uncluttered mind.

I know its real cos I have achieved it. Just being aware of the consciousness itself. Many months of mostly regular practice now let me stay in a large stretch of about 30-40 mins of mostly quiet awareness. Super relaxing and enjoyable. After about 40m though, i quickly and repeatedly find it difficult to have a quiet mind or focus. Just more practice needed, I guess. I skip my regular evening meditations sometimes, and what I note, if I been skipping many days in a row, is that my dream recall will drop to zero. I enjoy my dreams so I got returning motivation for sticking to a routine of zazen.

I am currently working on bringing it into daily living instead of when I am stretched out on a bed only.

Last edited:
Zazen was meant as a path to focus on the mind itself. Initially as you do it, you lose attention and get carried away into the thoughts that arise. But with practice, you would watch the thoughts come and go. You wouldn't interact with them, just be aware. With time and practice, the frequency of the thoughts would decrease and eventually, there would be long stretches of pure, silent uncluttered mind.
This seems consistent with what they stated at Unity. At least some aspects of the method. I don't recall if they stated there would be long stretches of the pure uncluttered mind.

When people express fear that this "empty mind" is dangerous, or in some way spiritually problematic, is there in fact any cause for concern, or is this due to misunderstanding what this experience is?

When people express fear that this "empty mind" is dangerous, or in some way spiritually problematic, is there in fact any cause for concern, or is this due to misunderstanding what this experience is?

I see no threats from it whatsoever. I dunno what fears would come from it. It spiritual in that it brings you into an abiding peace. After all, you just have to consciously start thinking and interacting with your thoughts to turn 'monkey mind' back on again! So, my guess would be that any concern over harmful causes, would purely be from misunderstanding the experience. Mostly likely because one has yet to try it.

Have you looked into the techniques for achieving astral projection?
But readdressing this, i don't know if you saw earlier in this thread, where a few of us were talking about this. I noted I would be very cautious about astral projection just because of the unknown aspect. My reasoning was that there are places in the physical world that are not safe to go. For various reasons. so I am inclined to be very cautious about making any attempt to travel around an astral world without knowing much about it. See my post #112 in this thread where I talk about it more.

I am less concerned about the "empty mind" as I think it has to do with stillness. But to address our exchange above, I think it has to do with some fearing that an empty mind leaves one open for negative spiritual influences. I'm less likely to think that as I think there is a veil between our world and the other(s) that doesn't get pierced so easily. I don't think calming the mind pierces that veil or attracts negative entities as such. But the idea of trying to enter an astral plane or any other plane-- it's like walking off a high ledge into an unknown environment. I'd want to know an awful lot more about what's on the other side. After all, I wouldn't hop over a fence in this world if I didn't know what people or animals or debris on the ground of whatever else was on the other side of the fence.

@TheLightWithin Every night, as we dream, all of us visit new worlds and leave them as we wake. Some times these worlds can be horrific but we wake with no damage to mind or self. I am aware of the fears some have regarding astral projection. My belief that it is more a form of directed and conscious dreaming similar to a weaker form of lucid dreaming make me not fear it. I tried both astral projection(less) and lucid dreaming(more). I never projected but came close to lucidity. It proved to me we can, to some extent, direct our dreaming.

I recommend checking out the Reddit site, r/AstralProjection for more info. Plenty of folk will talk with you about their experiences and how you may have your own.

In terms of meditation and Christianity, there is of course Christian mysticism including hesychastic contemplation

The line "The hesychast is to pay extreme attention to the consciousness of his inner world and to the words of the Jesus Prayer, not letting his mind wander in any way at all." in the wiki makes me think it's along the lines of Hindu mantra meditation. There are many paths to the Divine.

David, the author of Psalms
Some of them:
Interestingly, the Psalms were written over nearly a 1,000-year period ranging from the lifetime of Moses in the wilderness (1440—1400 BC) to Ezra (fourth century BC). Most psalms were composed during the lifetimes of David and Solomon.

Some say David wrote none of them:
While many of the psalms contain attributions to the name of King David and other Biblical figures including Asaph, the sons of Korah and Solomon, David's authorship is not accepted by most modern Bible scholars, who instead attribute the composition of the psalms to various authors writing between the 9th and 5th centuries BC. The psalms were written from the time of the Israelites conquest of Canaan to the post-exilic period and the book was probably compiled and edited into its present form during the post-exilic period in the 5th century BC

Last edited:
Some of them:
Interestingly, the Psalms were written over nearly a 1,000-year period ranging from the lifetime of Moses in the wilderness (1440—1400 BC) to Ezra (fourth century BC). Most psalms were composed during the lifetimes of David and Solomon.
Right .. "Most psalms were composed during the lifetimes of David and Solomon."

"David's authorship is not accepted by most modern Bible scholars, who instead attribute the composition of the psalms to various authors writing between the 9th and 5th centuries BC. The psalms were written from the time of the Israelites conquest of Canaan to the post-exilic period and the book was probably compiled and edited into its present form during the post-exilic period in the 5th century BC"
Who knows..
I'm not saying that the text is necessarily word-for-word accurate. :)
..or that every single Psalm was written by David, peace be with him.

..or that every single Psalm was written by David, peace be with him.
I need to correct this. Not every Psalm was written by David.

David (75 total psalms; 73 noted in Psalms; Psalm 2 is attributed to David in Acts 4:25; and Psalm 95 is attributed to David in Hebrews 4:7): 3—9; 11—32; 34—41; 51—65; 68—70; 86; 101; 103; 108—110; 122; 124; 131; 133; 138—145

Asaph (and family) (12 psalms): 50; 73—83

The sons of Korah (11 psalms): 42; 44—49; 84—85; 87—88

Heman (1 psalm, with the sons of Korah): 88

Solomon (2 psalms): 72 and 127

Moses (1 psalm): 90

Ethan the Ezrahite (1 psalm): 89

Anonymous (the 48 remaining psalms)

Edit: I misread what you said! Sorry about that!

Last edited:
Back