Your religious/spiritual journey

I would probably be more specific about that one. I think the purpose of emptying your mind would be more apt. I meditate on scripture.. so it needs more explanation probably.
Indeed, as there are many forms of meditation, including Christian mysticism but many others, and scientific research on the health benefits.

I have been a volunteer Street Pastor for the last fifteen years, we wonder the streets of our town until 3 - 4am, to listen care and help when we can. We don't go out to preach, and generally will only talk about God, if someone asks a God question first. Before we go out, we pray that God will place in our path the people he needs us to see. We pray for the words and actions to spread God's love and kindness in our town. We pray for the needs of our town and for the needs of the people we encounter.

Knowing that we go out in our weakness, and with God's strength has been a profound journey. We encounter lots of wonderful people, very troubled souls, angry drunks and a fair amount of drunken violence. I can remember the first fight we intervened in. We saw about a dozen angry drunks fighting, and we face a dilemma, on the one hand, we have all the risk assessments that say stand back and call the police, or we pray as we walk towards the fight.

As we approached the fight, I saw a man punched to the ground, another man was being kicked as he lay on the ground, we saw a man swing round and punch a woman in the face. We somehow walked in the middle of all this violence, there is little we could do, other than stand between protagonists, hold our hands out, trying to stop the man behind me, hitting the man in front. All I can say is, I experienced a profound sense of peace that is totally beyond my understanding. It almost seemed like they absorbed my peace, and after a time the fighting stopped. We stayed with them for some time, and when it came time to leave, they hugged us, shook our hands and kissed the lady Street Pastors. I was in my sixties at the time, the two remarkable ladies I was with were both in their seventies. We know, that we are the weakest and most vulnerable people there, should anyone turn on us.

We shall be going out this Saturday night, I don't know what we will encounter. All i know is, we put our trust in God and go. In fifteen years, there has never been a time when I have worried about going out. None of us have been hurt in fifteen years, but I also know how our Lord suffered and died, I know we can be harmed despite our prayers.

I would probably be more specific about that one. I think the purpose of emptying your mind would be more apt. I meditate on scripture.. so it needs more explanation probably.

A discussion of our various and probably differing views of meditation, contemplation, and esoteric practices would be very interesting. And good practice in holding space for views and beliefs other than our own. Good interfaith dialogue opportunity!

Want to start it? I'd be in!

A discussion of our various and probably differing views of meditation, contemplation, and esoteric practices would be very interesting. And good practice in holding space for views and beliefs other than our own. Good interfaith dialogue opportunity!

Want to start it? I'd be in!
I'm open to any dialogue! I doubt we could change each other's minds as long as that's not the purpose! There's a reason I believe what I believe just as you believe what you believe. I used to dabble in new age when i was younger. I was heavily into astrology and would do people's charts as a hobby. I used to believe a lot of things until I was convicted otherwise. I believe strongly in the demonic which I believe personally these practices are a gateway to that activity. You still want to discuss these now? 🤗

I'm open to any dialogue! I doubt we could change each other's minds as long as that's not the purpose! There's a reason I believe what I believe just as you believe what you believe. I used to dabble in new age when i was younger. I was heavily into astrology and would do people's charts as a hobby. I used to believe a lot of things until I was convicted otherwise. I believe strongly in the demonic which I believe personally these practices are a gateway to that activity. You still want to discuss these now? 🤗

Sure!

Ok I'll start. What does meditation do for you? What is it you are trying to accomplish for yourself? I will tell you what I think I know which may be wrong! I will explain what I do when I meditate and why.

My understanding the point is to empty ones mind from all thought.. I don't know about anyone else but my brain is constantly going.. almost like an inner dialogue.. it goes from one thought to the next and as I have anxiety issues it's a detriment as I've frequently experienced a cascade of thought that if not controlled will result in a panic attack. I've learned to ground myself by focusing on my 5 senses and to redirect my thoughts from one thing to the next. This took a lot of work and practice for it to become a somewhat natural thing. Is this a form of meditation?

I also have suffered from insomnia due to anxiety and have learned a technique of laying in bed and consciously relaxing my muscle groups while breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth very slowly.. then I tell myself a story in great detail.. each night I do this I'm asleep earlier in the same story I told myself the night before. I also use Lavender essential oils 😉

I think these are considered new age by some people but I believe the knowledge was a gift from God to help me in some terrifying moments.

I also meditate on the Word of God . There is simply reading and then there's picking a verse and truly focusing on it.. doing this brings it alive to me.

Now my issues with emptying ones mind just for the sake of emptying it.. I feel like our thought life is a protection of sorts . When we empty it it's allowing something else to fill it or manipulate it. That's my personal belief.

Ok I'll start. What does meditation do for you? What is it you are trying to accomplish for yourself? I will tell you what I think I know which may be wrong! I will explain what I do when I meditate and why.

Let me say that I view "meditation" as a giant big blanket term covering a wide variety of techniqurs, practices, and goals. Like "sports", which can mean olympic level athetic achievements, team sports, jogging, or going to the gym, "meditation" can be extreme practices like bringing down mental and bodily functions to a minimum, on the border to deep dreamless sleep, to breathing and relaxation exercises, to visualizations, to cultivating mental attitudes like loving-kindness or sympathetic joy.

Then there is the related set of practices and techniques which I like to call "contemplation", for example holding a verse or prayer in one's mind with reverence.

And to make matters more interesting, Eastern and Western usage of "meditation" vs. "contemplation" are reversed! I outlined the Eastern usage.

So why do I meditate?

First of all, it feels good. Like keeping my body fresh with a shower and a toothbrush in the morning, meditating for half an hour first thing in the day is to me a form of mentally keeping clean. I can take stock of my mental state, see which parts are relaxed or agitated or torpid, and apply the tools I learned over the years to give my mind some care: Concentrate on something to draw a scattered mind together, or relax into pleasant breath sensations to spread some calm, that kind of thing.

I'm also a fan of some more explorative meditation practices - what does the mind do when I keep my attention on the same thing for a long time? For me, diffetent mental states start to unfold, some of them quite "trippy". I enjoy that.

The technique of keeping the five senses in mind is a very well-known and good one. I'm happy you find it useful and compatible with your beliefs.

I'd like to ask a question about your thoughts regarding demonic influences on an "empty" mind - do you see this as different from dreamless sleep?

In some Jewish traditions it is thought that the soul leaves the body during sleep, and is returned by God's grace in the morning. This couldbe understood as addressing such concerns as you raised. What's your take?

I've learned to ground myself by focusing on my 5 senses and to redirect my thoughts from one thing to the next. This took a lot of work and practice for it to become a somewhat natural thing. Is this a form of meditation?

I also have suffered from insomnia due to anxiety and have learned a technique of laying in bed and consciously relaxing my muscle groups while breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth very slowly.. then I tell myself a story in great detail.. each night I do this I'm asleep earlier in the same story I told myself the night before. I also use Lavender essential oils 😉

I think these are considered new age by some people but I believe the knowledge was a gift from God to help me in some terrifying moments.
Not necessarily new age, but perfectly sound anxiety management techniques that are often recommended for anyone struggling with anxiety.😇

I'd like to ask a question about your thoughts regarding demonic influences on an "empty" mind - do you see this as different from dreamless sleep?

Im always trying to reason things out for myself if I don't understand something and the bible isn't clear on it.. but I feel that applying what I do know I can theorize it. Prayer for example.. I can pray and my focus is completely on God as it's a conversation between He and and I'm open and receptive to the listening part.. if my mind is empty with nothing of God to ground it I really believe it makes you susceptible to the enemy. I really don't know how else to explain it to an unbeliever. Since I believe we have souls I do believe our souls can leave our bodies in a sense like astral projection. Do I think that's a good thing to do if your own will ? No

Link with scripture that helps me divide what I should and should not do. I don't know how I managed before the Internet and all we had was a concordance LOL I don't trust most pastors anymore because too many times they put feelings or opinions rather than teaching the entire word

In some Jewish traditions it is thought that the soul leaves the body during sleep, and is returned by God's grace in the morning. This couldbe understood as addressing such concerns as you raised. What's your take?
I would not even know where that be located in the bible to decide whether to believe or not. I do know that there is Jewish mysticism beliefs that I don't have opinions on as it's not part of my faith and would certainly not tell them they were wrong.

I really think we are similar in how we view meditation because it's more about utilizing our bodies as God created them. Breathing is an underused skill for sure as I notice when I'm tense I'm not breathing correctly.

I would say the purpose of everything we do is key. Maybe a demon would be very interested in my mind being empty and not someone who was an unbeliever? I'm not willing to risk it.. I have my own thought life corrupting me. I'm very conscious of sitting at church listening to my pastor teach and an inappropriate thought comes in.. like what the heck! Or reading the bible and suddenly become so sleepy for no reason. I ascribe that to the enemy which is my flesh the devil or the world. Regardless it makes it hard!

Not necessarily new age, but perfectly sound anxiety management techniques that are often recommended for anyone struggling with anxiety.😇
I most definitely learned how to do these from researching how to manage anxiety. Mental health treatment these days is so much different than when I was young and thought I was going crazy.

Since I believe we have souls I do believe our souls can leave our bodies in a sense like astral projection. Do I think that's a good thing to do if your own will ? No
I agree it could be unsafe, but I don't have an exact theory what would happen, I'm mostly concerned about the unknown or minimally known aspect of it all.

If astral projection is a genuine thing (and I've known many people who think it is) my biggest concern about the safety of it has to do with how thoroughly unknown the "other side" is. After all there are lots of places on Earth I wouldn't go because I don't know the area, much less the dangers when physical conditions are unsafe (extreme cold, extreme heat, rugged terrain, underwater, inside a volcano, violent people, dangerous animals, etc) or in an even more extreme example about the physical world:: Even if one left the Earth physically such as -- if they really do create tourist opportunities to space stations or the moon or something -- how safe are those conditions? I'd hesitate no matter how cool it sounded.

So with that in mind, to enter the astral plane or any of the other "planes" of existence they talk about -- total unknown! If it's real, I don't know if it's any safer than stepping off a cliff in this world, IMHO.

What other things can we talk about. Fasting??
Yes .. let's :)

Muslims fast the month of Ramadan, by abstaining from food, drink and marital relations
between sunrise and sunset.
The first 10 days bring the Mercy of G-d upon the world.
The second, God's Forgiveness.
..and the last 10 days bring emancipation from the fire of hell.
All praise is for the Lord of the Universe!

Yes .. let's :)

Muslims fast the month of Ramadan, by abstaining from food, drink and marital relations
between sunrise and sunset.
The first 10 days bring the Mercy of G-d upon the world.
The second, God's Forgiveness.
..and the last 10 days bring emancipation from the fire of hell.
All praise is for the Lord of the Universe!
Gorging before sunrise and immediately after sunset isn't fasting, imo. Many people don't eat for 16 or 20 hours in 24

Last edited:
I do a form of intermittent fasting for health reasons. I eat my dinner between 6 and 7 pm and break my fast between 11-12 the next day.

My Spiritual fasting would be for the purpose of drawing closer to God and it would not necessarily have to be food.. it can be whatever separates me from Him.

One of my bosses was Muslim and he practiced Ramadan. We were all careful not create a stumbling block for him by eating and drinking near him. Much respect for that practice.

Another very good friend of mine is Hindu and frequently fasts I am always worried for her as she is also strictly vegan and is just so tiny. She is one of the most humblest people I know and very gentle and sweet . She never announces that she's fasting but we can always tell by her demeanor. She is very disciplined and I respect her and love her very much.

Th
Gorging before sunrise and immediately after sunset isn't fasting, imo. Many people don't eat for 16 or 20 hours in 24
The hardest part for me would be no drinking.. I could do food I could do marital relations (would suck though) but liquids?? I always have water or coffee LOL

I partook the Ramadan fast one year, along with my husband, just to see what it was like.

It was honestly really hard. And I'm not a stranger to fasting. I suspect it was how prolonged it was.

We have done the Navaratri fast for quite a few years now. It can be complex, but you are very very limited in what you can eat. The first few days is easy, but as time wears on it gets harder. You eat, and still feel hungry(likely due to the decline in proteins, and the lack of grains).

The Navaratri fast goes for 9 days. One year I did no food the first 3 days, only raw foods the second set of 3 days, and normal Navaratri fasting food the next 3 days. That kicked my butt, and I didn't repeat it.

I used to go hardcore at Lent. I also never ate meat on Fridays. I ended going very overboard with it because of my scrupulosity though. It's interesting how common fasting is in world religions (Christianity, Buddhism, etc.).
There's a health factor to it too. The dead cells shed causing healthy cells to regenerate more quickly.. it's been shown to lower inflammation. Seems like the major world religions knew something pretty darn important about how the body works.

Back