The Mystery of God’s Will Unfolding in this Matrix

I have heard this before as well and there are problems I have with it. It was never mentioned in the four gospels. His mother and half brothers were mentioned as early as the wedding at the start of His ministry. There were other female followers and the gospel accounts listed the names of their husbands if Jesus was indeed married one would think it would have been mentioned. . I think you are right that it would have to be pure speculation.
AFAIK it is speculation, based partly on the observation that a Jewish man of his age would have been married and it was unusual for him not to have been. However I don't know how much is really known about that, whether there were all sorts of reasons for people to be out of alignment with the norm, like at any time and any place, not everyone does what is average or expected.

Even if he did marry due to norms and his wife was not mentioned, I wonder if was due to him being widowed and he declined to remarry. However that is and always will be nothing but pure conjecture based on nothing but entertaining the premises that "it was unusual not to be married" and "the wife isn't mentioned" and putting that together with knowing how people sometimes respond to loss and grief. My conjecture is based on no substantial evidence. Speculation is fun and even edifying, but it's critical to maintain the distinction between what evidence we have, and what we don't have, and then what is just guesswork.

I don't know if this is stated or implied somewhere in the non canonical Gospels. I have a book of some of the non canonical gospels somewhere, read a bit of it then set it aside for graduate school (ages ago) and don't recall now what I learned.

I have heard the speculation that the wedding at Cana was his own wedding. I think it is interesting speculation. I don't recall what they clue was that had people speculating in that direction. Something in the dialogue. But AFAIK there is nothing else to corroborate it.

Deeply intriguing... I'll have to poke through it. I don't know what they base their "take" on (esp as @Faithful describes it is at variance with the information on record) but it's always interesting to see alternate interpretations.

I always wondered why Jesus, once bodily resurrected, didn't stay around longer, fulfill Messianic prophecies more undeniably, throw out the Romans, become King, alternately, travel the world and evangelize personally, etc. Always interested in the alternate stories, and alternate sects, for example the non canonical Gospels are interesting just by existing and surviving.

I read the book by their founder, Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, some decades ago. It postulates that Jesus survived the crucifixion, travelled to India where he lived his life and died naturally.

Here is the wiki link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_in_India_(book) and I think there is a free version at https://archive.org/details/JesusInIndia

Not omitting of course that Mirza Ghulam Ahmad is/was himself the self-declared new incarnation of Jesus?
Yes, the Ahmadis believe that he(Mirza) is the second coming. They are not recognised by many(all?) Islamic sects and have faced much persecution(and still do).

Not omitting of course that Mirza Ghulam Ahmad is/was himself the self-declared new incarnation of Jesus?
This link is about Mirza Ghulam Ahmad.

It is relevant to your observation.

@Craz

Regards Tony

@Craz

Regards Tony

I have always wondered about the interaction between Ahmadiyya and Baha’i, considering their founders lived roughly contemporary to each other.

@Craz

Regards Tony
Yes, we've been here before. I asked @paarsurrey to respond but he did not.

I have always wondered about the interaction between Ahmadiyya and Baha’i, considering their founders lived roughly contemporary to each other.
There have been loads of Messiah/Messenger claimants in the last 2 centuries.
Here's the list of Islamic claimants(wiki), full list at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_messiah_claimants

Islamic tradition has a prophecy of the Mahdi, who will come alongside the return of Isa (Jesus).

• Muhammad Jaunpuri (1443–1505), who traveled Northeastern India; he influenced the Mahdavia and the Zikris.
  • Báb (1819–1850), who declared himself to be the promised Mahdi in Shiraz, Persia, in 1844. His followers became Baha'is and claim that, among religions which expect a pair of messengers, he is the first of that pair.[49] (Related to Baháʼí claims—see Combination messiah claimants section below.)
  • Baháʼu'lláh, Mirza Husayn 'Ali Nuri,(1817-1892). See Combination messiah claimants section below.
  • Mirza Ghulam Ahmad of Qadian, India (1835–1908), proclaimed himself to be both the expected Mahdi and Messiah,[50][51] being the only person in Islamic history who claimed to be both. Crucially, however, he claimed that Jesus had died a natural death after surviving crucifixion,[50] and that prophecies concerning his future advent referred to the Mahdi himself bearing the qualities and character of Jesus rather than to his physical return alongside the Mahdi. He founded the Ahmadiyya Movement in 1889 envisioning it to be the rejuvenation of Islam. Adherents of the Ahmadiyya movement claim to be strictly Muslim, but are widely viewed by other Muslim groups as either disbelievers or heretics.[52][53]

There have been loads of Messiah/Messenger claimants in the last 2 centuries.
Here's the list of Islamic claimants(wiki), full list at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_messiah_claimants

Thank you for the list! The 19th century in particular seems to be an extremely fruitful century for prophet/messiah claimants. Joseph Smith, Baha'u'llah, Nakayama Miki, Hong Xiuquan, etc., etc. I find the Ahmadiyya particularly interesting; they seem to be quite active in my city, actually. There's a mosque right near me.

Last edited:
I have spent much time with Bahai & Ahmadi communities. It was in a secular way , meaning I was not looking at their religious claims, but rather how they lived and interacted with their local communities in England.

I have met with Ahmadis in Israel, which is the only country in the Middle East where they can openly practise their religion.

Most of the Bahais in Israel, live in or near Haifa, near their main centre, where they come for a time to do service there. Maybe @Tony Bristow-Stagg can comment on this.

However, I must comment that I really enjoyed my time both communities.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of them. I just looked them up.

I'm a bit obsessed with 19th century religion haha, so I know a few of the less 'mainstream' prophets of that century. Joanna Southcott is another fascinating example; I encourage anyone with an interest in the subject to read about her. She still has followers.

Back