The consequences of our neglect.

Tony Bristow-Stagg

One Planet One People Please
Reaction score
Firstly I do not post this to have an argument of faith. I post it so we can all consider our actions against the knowledge that God is Love. All that is not Love, is thus from our own selves and the disintegration of Love is a sign of our neglect of the virtue of Love.

On 11 March 1936, prior to the 2nd world Shoghi Effendi the Guardian of the Baha'i Faith wrote the following to the Bahá'ís of the West.

"The process of disintegration must inexorably continue, and its corrosive influence must penetrate deeper and deeper into the very core of a crumbling age. Much suffering will still be required ere the contending nations, creeds, classes and races of mankind are fused in the crucible of universal affliction, and are forged by the fires of a fierce ordeal into one organic commonwealth, one vast, unified, and harmoniously functioning system, Adversities unimaginably appalling, undreamed of crises and upheavals, war, famine, and pestilence, might well combine to engrave in the soul of an unheeding generation those truths and principles which it has disdained to recognize and follow. A paralysis more painful than any it has yet experienced must creep over and further afflict the fabric of a broken society ere it can be rebuilt and regenerated....

(11 March 1936 to the Bahá'ís of the West, published in The World Order of Bahá'u'lláh: Selected Letters (Wilmette: Bahá'í Publishing Trust, 1991), pp. 193-94) [6]

There are many more passages such as this available. Shoghi Effendi after the 2nd world war also offered that further conflict was inevitable and in the 1950's wrote this.

"...The violent derangement of the world's equilibrium; the trembling that will seize the limbs of mankind; the radical transformation of human society; the rolling up of the present-day Order; the fundamental changes affecting the structure of government; the weakening of the pillars of religion; the rise of dictatorships; the spread of tyranny; the fall of monarchies; the decline of ecclesiastical institutions; the increase of anarchy and chaos; the extension and consolidation of the Movement of the Left; the fanning into flame of the smouldering fire of racial strife; the development of infernal engines of war; the burning of cities; the contamination of the atmosphere of the earth, these stand out as the signs and portents that must either herald or accompany the retributive calamity which, as decreed by Him Who is the Judge and Redeemer of mankind, must, sooner or later, afflict a society......"

These are all born out of our inability to Love each human as part of the one Family of humanity.

What else can be offered. Love is the key.

How will humanity find Unity, without the Love that God has given us?

Regards Tony

How else indeed?

Shoghi Effendi joins his voice to the chorus of others over the centuries who've said exactly the same thing, in arguably worse situations than we're in now.

So it goes ...

I've been thinking about this topic a lot lately, considering all that is going on in the world. If we loved each other as God loves us, of course no one would ever harm another person. But I don't think that will ever happen, until 'the end'. I think war and violence are fundamentally part of human nature. I guess the only thing we can do is try to change our own actions.

I've been thinking about this topic a lot lately, considering all that is going on in the world. If we loved each other as God loves us, of course no one would ever harm another person. But I don't think that will ever happen, until 'the end'. I think war and violence are fundamentally part of human nature.
I agree. Expecting human nature to change is a non-starter. Nature is what it is. The world is what it is. Nature is ever changing and bound to death of every creature. The lion kills the zebra to survive.

Spiritual teaching is about my eternal soul, not about trying to establish peace in nature that can never come, imo

Last edited:
Peace on earth is false teaching, imo

Life is good! And getting better all the time.

Electronic media and instant knowledge of atrocities around the world combined with limited bandwidth is a two edged sword which leads to confusion and dismay.

Don't just read and watch negativitfy...don't fall for the marketing if it bleeds it leads...make your own choices...or wallow in "woe is me misery" it is a choice.

Electronic media and instant knowledge of atrocities around the world combined with limited bandwidth is a two edged sword which leads to confusion and dismay.

Don't just read and watch negativitfy...don't fall for the marketing if it bleeds it leads...make your own choices...or wallow in "woe is me misery" it is a choice.

Do you believe material advancement is the heart of spiritual discourse?

Do you believe material advancement is the heart of spiritual discourse?
The heart? No. Why do you ask? And how do you define material advancement.

I think indoor plumbing and sewage treatment is a plus. Necessary for spiritual advancement...nah...but I would not think removing it would help.

Reactions: RJM

I guess the world gets better and worse all the time. There have been better times, and there will be worse times. Its good to remember that before panicking.

How else indeed?

Shoghi Effendi joins his voice to the chorus of others over the centuries who've said exactly the same thing, in arguably worse situations than we're in now.

So it goes ...
What ever happens Thomas, it is Love the Baha'i share.

Regards Tony

If it is to be it is up to me...

No use waiting for Godot imo

If its up to humanity, we're doomed lol. I'm not waiting for God to fix the world. I think we should all work to make the world a better place. What I meant is that we will never stop violence, we will never stop war. Only until 'end times', for lack of a better word, will those things stop.

I've been thinking about this topic a lot lately, considering all that is going on in the world. If we loved each other as God loves us, of course no one would ever harm another person. But I don't think that will ever happen, until 'the end'. I think war and violence are fundamentally part of human nature. I guess the only thing we can do is try to change our own actions.
I see that is why God sends Messengers, to show us what change is needed and give us a choice with fair and just warning.

All I can really offer is that after reading what has been offered over the last 40 years, I can say God's Will is unfolding as we were foretold it will. That much destruction would happen before we eventually embrace the Love required to build a united humanity.

Why do we still not choose to Love? We know the consequences of 2 world Wars and of what raping the planet of its resources results in, yet we are now building to another possible conflict on a global scale.

To me that is 100% the result of Materialism, turning away from God.

Regards Tony

If its up to humanity, we're doomed lol. I'm not waiting for God to fix the world. I think we should all work to make the world a better place. What I meant is that we will never stop violence, we will never stop war. Only until 'end times', for lack of a better word, will those things stop.
Be assure there will be a most great peace, but you are correct, our lower nature wins out far too often.

We live in the age of transition, we have been given the chance to be the foundation builders of that most great peace.

The next stage is a lesser peace built by the Nations, but this will only happen after a global event that shakes the limbs of all humanity.

The Lords Prayer is that promise of the Most Great Peace. Where we do on earth as it is done in heaven, we Love each other, becomming one spirit in one body. We embrace the Light and Life that is Christ.

Regards Tony

I agree. Expecting human nature to change is a non-starter. Nature is what it is. The world is what it is. Nature is ever changing and bound to death of every creature. The lion kills the zebra to survive.

Spiritual teaching is about my eternal soul, not about trying to establish peace in nature that can never come, imo
I see rhe Lords Prayer is a cry from the heart and a prophecy.

Regards Tony

Back