Sapere aude

Because that person has greater issues to deal with than being right or wrong about something.
That seems fair. But I wonder, anyway, why being right or wrong needs to be considered an issue? Again, if it's about something that genuinely poses a threat to physical well-being, then the point is taken. But if not, is it really an issue? :)

That seems fair. But I wonder, anyway, why being right or wrong needs to be considered an issue? Again, if it's about something that genuinely poses a threat to physical well-being, then the point is taken. But if not, is it really an issue? :)
I guess it depends on your definition of "physical well-being"...it's easier to get ripped off financially if you can't analyze a product or service well.

If a person invests, one wants to be right about the investments.

If you have children or pets, one wants to be right about THEIR care.

The list goes on....it's really the basis for public education...more education means a better society.

I guess it depends on your definition of "physical well-being"...it's easier to get ripped off financially if you can't analyze a product or service well.

If a person invests, one wants to be right about the investments.

If you have children or pets, one wants to be right about THEIR care.
The list goes on....it's really the basis for public education...more education means a better society.

But this came up in relation to the God of the gaps comment you made in connection with the things where science says 'we just don't know'.... in the case of avoiding being financially ripped off, I'm pretty sure that science would not be saying 'we just don't know', and it would be unlikely for the God of the gaps to be invoked. In terms of children or pets, if science has a clear answer, then sure, that can be applied because there would be no gap for the God of the gaps to fill.

So I think I'm still struggling to understand where the importance to correct a 'wrong' with regard to a God of the gaps scenario.

The god of the gaps scenario is a logical fallacy. If one only commits that fallacy, it's not very important.
There aren't many people who just commit a single fallacy, and that one being the only one.

If someone is prone to fallacious thinking, then it can affect them in more important ways as previously described.

The god of the gaps scenario is a logical fallacy. If one only commits that fallacy, it's not very important.
There aren't many people who just commit a single fallacy, and that one being the only one.

If someone is prone to fallacious thinking, then it can affect them in more important ways as previously described.
Ok, so the God of the gaps is automatically a logical fallacy, yes? So is your argument that all religion and belief must be illogical/fallacious and require correction?

Ok, so the God of the gaps is automatically a logical fallacy, yes? So is your argument that all religion and belief must be illogical/fallacious and require correction?
No. Not all religious people employ the fallacy. They just say "I don't know".

No. Not all religious people employ the fallacy. They just say "I don't know".
That's interesting. That sounds more like an agnostic than a religious person to me. But maybe I'm interpreting your reply in a more generalised way.

The God of the gaps is a logical fallacy, but the God of 'I don't know' isn't? Or are we working with different notions of the God of the gaps? I think that's likely with your notion presenting a much more absolute position (which is probably closer to the definition of God of the gaps, I'll grant you).

That's interesting. That sounds more like an agnostic than a religious person to me. But maybe I'm interpreting your reply in a more generalised way.

The God of the gaps is a logical fallacy, but the God of 'I don't know' isn't? Or are we working with different notions of the God of the gaps? I think that's likely with your notion presenting a much more absolute position (which is probably closer to the definition of God of the gaps, I'll grant you).
The thing about religion is, it's so nebulous. It's not science, not history, not philosophy, not math, etc.
It is whatever you want it to be.

So, plenty of religious people, understand the fallacy, and to avoid insulting God, don't use the fallacy. If they use "God", and then an alternate, natural explanation is developed, God gets smaller and smaller.

So typically what they'll do is just believe God is over everything, and he makes the natural world work the way it does. They avoid focusing on some narrow aspect of the natural world.

The thing about religion is, it's so nebulous. It's not science, not history, not philosophy, not math, etc.
It is whatever you want it to be.

So, plenty of religious people, understand the fallacy, and to avoid insulting God, don't use the fallacy. If they use "God", and then an alternate, natural explanation is developed, God gets smaller and smaller.

So typically what they'll do is just believe God is over everything, and he makes the natural world work the way it does. They avoid focusing on some narrow aspect of the natural world.
Good point. I'd worried for a moment that you'd end up adopting an almost evangelical zeal for 'correcting' people. But that would be my projection on the matter, and perhaps even when correcting people, you would do so with kindness and diplomacy. :)

They feel like they're free, there's no doubt that feeling exists. But they're not free.
If they are not free, then how can you say that "the drivers" are actually driving the cars?
Makes no sense .. either the drivers are responsible for the decisions, or something else is.

Good point. I'd worried for a moment that you'd end up adopting an almost evangelical zeal for 'correcting' people. But that would be my projection on the matter, and perhaps even when correcting people, you would do so with kindness and diplomacy. :)
I much more prefer to be corrected over correcting others. That's how I learn. I don't learn anything correcting others.

As far as religion goes, logical fallacies are just one type of mistake some religious people make, there are plenty others. Non-religious people also employ logical fallacies as well as plenty others.

In essence, the more detailed a religion purports to be, the more it opens itself up to criticism.

The more nebulous it is, there isn't much substance to criticize.

If someone corrected me, I'd be thankful for the help.
You and I have different authorities on which we stand. I stand on the authority of God's word. I believe it's inerrant and supports science. You stand on the authority of science and you believe it disproves the bible. If you aren't willing to be corrected by God's Word how can you expect me to be corrected by science based theology. They are all theories.

It amazes me that people who hold science above all can not see a creator as much as Science reveals a designer. You cannot accept something that you cannot reasonably explain but much of science you cannot reasonably explain. How can you explain moral right from wrong we inherently have? Or the part of us that makes us who we are? We have a body with a brain that functions like a computer but how do you explain consciousness?

You think you are a very smart man but my Bible tells me a fool says there is no God. So I feel sorry for you to have the knowledge of the truth so close but won't allow yourself to acknowledge it.

Faith is a powerful thing. We believe in consequences for our actions. We believe we answer to a higher authority than our own. Your attempts at correction will fall on deaf ears. You can try though. 😇

If they are not free, then how can you say that "the drivers" are actually driving the cars?
Makes no sense .. either the drivers are responsible for the decisions, or something else is.
Free will goes back to mind-body duality. That there is the mind, which is separate from the body. Somehow the mind interacts with the body, and causes the body to act.

The mind, being non-physical, has free will. It can choose as it pleases, unencumbered by the physical world.

We know that isn't true. Our mind is a manifestation of our brain, and our brain is physical.

There is no free will.

The drivers will use their brains to make their decisions, but those decisions are based on past physical occurrences. The choice a person makes will be based on that past. They are not free to make another choice.

You and I have different authorities on which we stand. I stand on the authority of God's word. I believe it's inerrant and supports science. You stand on the authority of science and you believe it disproves the bible. If you aren't willing to be corrected by God's Word how can you expect me to be corrected by science based theology. They are all theories.

It amazes me that people who hold science above all can not see a creator as much as Science reveals a designer. You cannot accept something that you cannot reasonably explain but much of science you cannot reasonably explain. How can you explain moral right from wrong we inherently have? Or the part of us that makes us who we are? We have a body with a brain that functions like a computer but how do you explain consciousness?

You think you are a very smart man but my Bible tells me a fool says there is no God. So I feel sorry for you to have the knowledge of the truth so close but won't allow yourself to acknowledge it.

Faith is a powerful thing. We believe in consequences for our actions. We believe we answer to a higher authority than our own. Your attempts at correction will fall on deaf ears. You can try though. 😇
You need to understand the difference between a scientific theory and conjecture.
Is it morally okay to own slaves? I say no, the Bible says yes. Who is correct and how do you know?
If you only follow a book, written by uneducated people in the Iron Age who didn't even know the Earth revolves around the Sun, then you have some catching up to do.

This is a normal atheistic answer to the question of morality. Slavery.

God never said slavery is ok but culturally it was accepted. I believe we are all in slavery today. I work every day to pay off debt. I do not work for myself. If I want things I have to have credit and with that credit comes interest. I pay taxes on the money I earn and pay taxes when I spend that money. This is slavery and it's cultural.

But I know that it's wrong to murder or steal I know what's right and wrong. I feel bad if I hurt someone or to see injustice. We can turn on the news and see the decline of morality every day. We say what is wrong with everyone why is there is much evil in the world. That's morality.

You need to understand the difference between a scientific theory and conjecture.
Is it morally okay to own slaves? I say no, the Bible says yes. Who is correct and how do you know?
If you only follow a book, written by uneducated people in the Iron Age who didn't even know the Earth revolves around the Sun, then you have some catching up to do.
Or even the difference between scientific hypothesis and scientific theory....and maybe how we use the word 'theory' colloquially. :)

The materialist hypothesis:
We know that isn't true. Our mind is a manifestation of our brain, and our brain is physical.
We don't know this at all -- because we don't know what exists outside of the timespace limits of nature

The non-materialist hypothesis:
The reality of nature is Plato's cave. The greater reality of Spirit weaves the dimension of nature, time and space. We perceive only the shadow play of the true reality.
"Light is the shadow of God"

Back