There is no proof of God ...

Is that ALL you got?
To be fair, that's all that's needed.

Evolution is SUBSTANTIATED, it is fact at this point in time and because the Christian scriptures say otherwise they cannot be the word of god but of Man.
Only fundamentalists think the Bible contradicts the Theory of Evolution ... in fact Catholic scientists have made significant contributions to science. Gregor Mendel (1822-1884), and Augustinian Friar, pioneered the study of genetic inheritance. Mendel presented a paper on inheritance in 1865, six years after Darwin's On the Origin of Species. Darwin was unaware of genetics, yet without it, his theory cannot be adequately explained.

To be fair, that's all that's needed.

Only fundamentalists think the Bible contradicts the Theory of Evolution ... in fact Catholic scientists have made significant contributions to science. Gregor Mendel (1822-1884), and Augustinian Friar, pioneered the study of genetic inheritance. Mendel presented a paper on inheritance in 1865, six years after Darwin's On the Origin of Species. Darwin was unaware of genetics, yet without it, his theory cannot be adequately explained.
When your religion is founded on the Word of your GOD, as in Scripture, as in the Vulgate . . . any divergence no longer belongs to that religion. How could it?

Sooooo because Isaiah didn't specifically say "Jesus", it's null and void. I don't follow that logic one bit, but to each his own.
Well . . . DUH!
Can you imagine if the Bible did mention Jesus by His name? Every boy born in Israel would have been named Jesus. It would have been pointless to name Him in prophecy.

Likewise if a prophet had warned us that a man named Adolf Hitler would lead Germany into a war killing millions of people, nobody would name their kid Adolf Hitler. It would be pointless to name him in prophecy.

But like I said, to each his own.
Not a very good rebuttal . . . but thanks

When your religion is founded on the Word of your GOD, as in Scripture, as in the Vulgate . . . any divergence no longer belongs to that religion. How could it?
Hello there, when I was here before under another name, Thomas posted this concerning the Catholic understanding of scripture. Very nuanced!

To search out the intention of the sacred writers, attention should be given, among other things, to "literary forms." For truth is set forth and expressed differently in texts which are variously historical, prophetic, poetic, or of other forms of discourse. The interpreter must investigate what meaning the sacred writer intended to express and actually expressed in particular circumstances by using contemporary literary forms in accordance with the situation of his own time and culture. For the correct understanding of what the sacred author wanted to assert, due attention must be paid to the customary and characteristic styles of feeling, speaking and narrating which prevailed at the time of the sacred writer, and to the patterns men normally employed at that period in their everyday dealings with one another. (Dei Verbum, III, 12, 2)

Really, as I see it, you seem only familiar with literal/fundamentalist readings/understandings of the Biblical text - which is in a sense a "modernism" born of Martin Luther et al, the printing press and mass literacy.

His statement along with my added comments does however suggest Yeshua being another failed Messiah in a line of failed Messiahs.
True . . . thank you for pointing that out. The 'nobody' comment comes from me, I think LOL!
It's accepted that Jesus does not meet the requirements of the Jewish warrior Messiah. But was that ever his intention? Jesus obviously understood the Jewish position on what the Messiah would be.

Regardless, Jesus has by no means 'failed' by his life and death. The fact that we are talking about him here. There are libraries filled with words about Jesus and galleries filled with art around Jesus, and countless wonderful architectural buildings and temples. Probably more than any other figure in all human history.

Jesus has certainly turned out to be anything but a failed and unimportant would-be Jewish messiah, like the others you mention. Bart Ehrman acknowledges the fact.

It's accepted that Jesus does not meet the requirements of the Jewish warrior Messiah. But was that ever his intention? Jesus obviously understood the Jewish position on what the Messiah would be.

Regardless, Jesus has by no means 'failed' by his life and death. The fact that we are talking about him here. There are libraries filled with words about Jesus and galleries filled with art around Jesus, and countless wonderful architectural buildings and temples. Probably more than any other figure in all human history.

Jesus has certainly turned out to be anything but a failed and unimportant would-be Jewish messiah, like the others you mention. Bart Ehrman acknowledges the fact.
The Beatles were bigger than Jesus . . . just sayin' ;)

Reactions: RJM
The Beatles were bigger than Jesus . . . just sayin' ;)
All depends what one thinks is important.

Everything but Christ is non-existent, nothing worthy of mention, all dependent on Christ, that includes the Beatles, you and me.

Even the dust around Jesus was exalted above the knowledge of the learned and all the praise of all that glorified Him.

Just saying'.....😉

My sister was the a very big Beatles fan, thus I was brought up with their music. A time of great change and the birth of unbridled liberty.

Regards Tony

All depends what one thinks is important.
It was tongue-in-cheek Tony, based on a comment John Lennon made in 1966:

"Christianity will go," he said. "It will vanish and shrink. I needn’t argue about that. I’m right and I will be proved right. We’re more popular than Jesus now. I don’t know which will go first – rock ‘n’ roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It’s them twisting it that ruins it for me."

That caused an uproar all around the world.

It was tongue-in-cheek Tony, based on a comment John Lennon made in 1966:

"Christianity will go," he said. "It will vanish and shrink. I needn’t argue about that. I’m right and I will be proved right. We’re more popular than Jesus now. I don’t know which will go first – rock ‘n’ roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It’s them twisting it that ruins it for me."

That caused an uproar all around the world.

Thank you for that.

Regards Tony

The greatest proof of God, when the Messengers are no longer walking this earth, is the Word that is given.

That Word will set the standard for the Dispensation, no other vision is as complete as the God given Revelation.

As times unfolds that wisdom given in that Message unfolds, the Counsels are embraced, the Word permeates the hearts and souls of humanity.

The next stage we will face, after still more destructive actions by wayward peoples and nations, is a requirement that has already been written.

".. The time must come when the imperative necessity for the holding of a vast, an all-embracing assemblage of men will be universally realized. The rulers and kings of the earth must needs attend it, and, participating in its deliberations, must consider such ways and means as will lay the foundations of the world’s Great Peace amongst men. Such a peace demandeth that the Great Powers should resolve, for the sake of the tranquillity of the peoples of the earth, to be fully reconciled among themselves. Should any king take up arms against another, all should unitedly arise and prevent him. If this be done, the nations of the world will no longer require any armaments, except for the purpose of preserving the security of their realms and of maintaining internal order within their territories. This will ensure the peace and composure of every people, government and nation..."

The wisdom of that utterance from the 1800's will become more and more obvious, the current choices by many war minded souls and tyrants, will see to that.

Regards Tony

My hot dogs prove there's a God. It took a mind to make my hot dogs. It took a mind bigger than my hot dogs to make my hot dogs and it took a mind bigger than my hot dogs to create a universe.
You know...if we squeeze the poop outta them intestines we can grind up the rest of the carcass and stick it in there....in other news myltiverse happens.

Been on the beach near miami for 2 weeks enjoying creation.

But He said that before the sin of Adam?
He could have given up on the project then. By not erasing His creation at that point, or any point since, it suggests that He decided that it as still good enough to keep the project going.

Do I?

Yes, I wonder how much Jesus had to play along with this concept. I suspect that he preferred teaching about a spiritual Way that would become a cultural movement that would overcome the worldly ways of the prevailing culture and society. The Messiah thing seems a trap set for him by the Jewish tradition. I suspect that he saw us all as saviors if we can grow spiritually and be enlightened. I see a movement towards democracy in Jesus’ theology. And Isaiah and other latter prophets also seemed to grasp the need for greater inclusion and empowering the previously disenfranchised.

That (after opening the link) was a good read. Appollinius (sp?) apparently avoided the Messiah trap , but got killed anyway. I guess the Romans saw that even a cultural movement would be problematic to their power hungry cause.

Back