The Death Burial and Resurrection of the Lord Jesus -Palm Sunday & Easter

B

Bandit

I am putting this up for a short discussion on the Lord Jesus over the next couple of weeks.
The death burial and resurrection of the Lord Jesus.

15:1Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
15:2By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
15:3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
15:4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

robocombot said:
Did jesus descend into Hell (or Abrahams Busom?) for 3 days to collect the righteous dead?
I dont know. I know it is written in there what happened but I dont know how literal it was as far as literally taking the righteous that had passed on. It seems literal, then at other times it seems they also are waiting for the resurrection just like we are. What do you think?
Jesus did descend into hell, but he himself was not left there.

Then there was that part of how graves were opened during or just after the death of the Lord Jesus.

I love the resurrection more than Christmas!:)

Psalms 16:10
For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Acts13:32 And we declare unto you glad tidings, how that the promise which was made unto the fathers,
13:33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.
13:34 And as concerning that he raised him up from the dead, now no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David.
13:35 Wherefore he saith also in another psalm, Thou shalt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
13:36 For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:
13:37But he, whom God raised again, saw no corruption.
13:38 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins:

Rev1:18I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.1Cor.15:55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

robocombot said:
Did jesus descend into Hell (or Abrahams Busom?) for 3 days to collect the righteous dead?
I think it was "sheole" or the grave, not "hell" as the english bible says.

Matt
SO01651_.gif
6-11 The disciples went and did as Jesus had directed them; they brought the donkey and the colt, and put their cloaks on them, and he sat on them. A very large crowd spread their cloaks on the road, and others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road. The crowds that went ahead of him and that followed were shouting, "Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest heaven!" When he entered Jerusalem, the whole city was in turmoil, asking, "Who is this?"

The crowds were saying,
"This is the prophet Jesus
from Nazareth in Galilee."

I think this thread is a good idea, Bandit. I have a timeline of the last week from my Bible. Might I suggest that on the days given members here share favorite verses from the indicated events?

Sunday, The Triumphal Entry

Monday, Jesus curses the fig tree, Jesus cleanses the temple

Tuesday, The Authority of Jesus Questioned, Jesus Teaches in the Temple, Jesus Annointed

Wednesday, The plot against Jesus

Thursday, The Last Supper, Jesus comforts the disciples, Gethsemane,

Thursday night/Fri Jesus' arrest and trial

Friday, Jesus' Crucifixtion and death, burial

Sunday, The empty tomb, Mary M. sees Jesus in the garden, Jesus appears to the two going to Emmaus, Jesus appears to teh 10 disciples

One week later, Jesus appears to the 11 disciples, Jesus talks with some of His disciples

peace,
lunamoth

The Triumphal Entry
12The next day the great crowd that had come for the Feast heard that Jesus was on his way to Jerusalem. 13They took palm branches and went out to meet him, shouting, “Hosanna![c]” “Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!”[d] “Blessed is the King of Israel!” 14Jesus found a young donkey and sat upon it, as it is written, 15“Do not be afraid, O Daughter of Zion;
see, your king is coming,
seated on a donkey's colt.”[e]
16At first his disciples did not understand all this. Only after Jesus was glorified did they realize that these things had been written about him and that they had done these things to him.

17Now the crowd that was with him when he called Lazarus from the tomb and raised him from the dead continued to spread the word. 18Many people, because they had heard that he had given this miraculous sign, went out to meet him. 19So the Pharisees said to one another, “See, this is getting us nowhere. Look how the whole world has gone after him!”

(John 12:12-19)

The Coming of Zion's King

9 Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion!
Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem!

See, your king comes to you,

righteous and having salvation,

gentle and riding on a donkey,

on a colt, the foal of a donkey.

(Zechariah 9:9, NIV)

lunamoth said:
The Coming of Zion's King

9 Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion!
Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem!

See, your king comes to you,

righteous and having salvation,

gentle and riding on a donkey,

on a colt, the foal of a donkey.

(Zechariah 9:9, NIV)

Happy Palm Sunday to you as well Luna...:D

v/r

Q

Nice post luna

I once met an athiest who blasted me and what I thought I knew about this subject.

Jesus Gave a sign the Sign of Jonah 3 days and 3 nights
Mt 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
Mt 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

if you look at your time line there is no way it fits with a friday crucifixion.

you would have to count backwards from sunday counting it as the third day
I will use the names of our days and nights to explain.

third day -Sunday 1st day of week

third night- Saturday night

second day-Saturday 7th day of week

second night- friday night

first day- friday 6th day of week and a Jewish High sabbath because of passover John 19:31

first night- thursday 5th day of week

Crucifixion- on thursday during the day.

He was in the grave before the High sabbath began. Now I know that goes against the simple sunday school version but it is kind of like the wise men at christmas it seems it was easier to put them right at the birth of Christ and shove the crucifixion from friday to sunday but the math wont work that way.

I hope this doesnt offend anyone but I like the truth and am old enough to handle 3+3 sometimes the sunday school stuff has to be retold as adults with a little deeper study.

P.S I have that same time line in the back of my Bible but it still doesnt make the math right. Sorry to mess up Good Friday :D

something inside always tells me it was not a literal 72 hours.

he rose on the third day not as if there had to be this specific 'waiting period'
When the spirit of Jesus went back to God, that was it. DOA

they were so concerned about his resurrection they had to put guards there to watch it but only up to the 3rd day.
    1. Notice that the chief priests and Pharisees wanted the tomb guarded only until the third day, because that is when the resurrection was to occur, NOT on the fourth day! And remember, the watch at the tomb began at the end of the seventh day Sabbath, so that it could be guarded for all of the third day, which Sabbatarians say is Saturday. It was at the end of the duration of 3 days, using their own literalness, that guards STOPPED guarding the tomb. This proves that Jesus was going to raise before, not AFTER 72 hours had elapsed!
    2. Since we have irrefutable Bible evidence that 3 days & 3 nights may in fact be literally less than 72 hours or 3 days & 2 nights or 3 nights & 2 days (Cornelius: Acts 10:3,9, 23,24,30; Starving servant: 1 Sam. 30:12,13; Queen Esther 4:16; 5:1) we must call into question the literal length of time Jonah was in the sea monster! In light of the Bible passages, how can we be sure that Jonah was literally (Roman time thinking) 72 hours in the sea monster??? We come full circle to the well established point that the Jews would have viewed Friday 3 PM to Sunday 6 AM as being 3 days & 3 nights.

lunamoth said:
I think this thread is a good idea, Bandit. I have a timeline of the last week from my Bible. Might I suggest that on the days given members here share favorite verses from the indicated events?

Sunday, The Triumphal Entry

Monday, Jesus curses the fig tree, Jesus cleanses the temple

Tuesday, The Authority of Jesus Questioned, Jesus Teaches in the Temple, Jesus Annointed

Wednesday, The plot against Jesus

Thursday, The Last Supper, Jesus comforts the disciples, Gethsemane,

Thursday night/Fri Jesus' arrest and trial

Friday, Jesus' Crucifixtion and death, burial

Sunday, The empty tomb, Mary M. sees Jesus in the garden, Jesus appears to the two going to Emmaus, Jesus appears to teh 10 disciples

One week later, Jesus appears to the 11 disciples, Jesus talks with some of His disciples

peace,
lunamoth
yes indeed we shall Lunamoth:) . this is our hope and victory, washed in the blood of the Lamb.

Kindest Regards, all!

Just two cents to add that might help. The "High Sabbath" referred to just after Jesus' death on the cross was the Passover, not the "common" weekly Sabbath. Passover can fall on any day of the week. So, if Jesus did indeed rise on Sunday, which I am in no position to argue, then the High Sabbath must have fallen on a Thursday by our calendar. Jesus would have given up the ghost about 3pm Wednesday, about the time the sacrificial lambs were being slaughtered in preparation for Passover, and the veil in the Temple was rent from top to bottom exposing the antechamber. I have not taken the effort to look into the astronomical calculations to confirm this (Passover is reckoned by the lunar calendar), in part because of the confusion created by the Gregorian correction to our calendar. Perhaps somebody with a little more time might like to look into it and try to figure it out? And I am open to correction from a more learned person of the Jewish persuasion in my assessment of Sabbath keeping and Passover preparation.

juantoo3 said:
Kindest Regards, all!

Just two cents to add that might help. The "High Sabbath" referred to just after Jesus' death on the cross was the Passover, not the "common" weekly Sabbath. Passover can fall on any day of the week. So, if Jesus did indeed rise on Sunday, which I am in no position to argue, then the High Sabbath must have fallen on a Thursday by our calendar. Jesus would have given up the ghost about 3pm Wednesday, about the time the sacrificial lambs were being slaughtered in preparation for Passover, and the veil in the Temple was rent from top to bottom exposing the antechamber. I have not taken the effort to look into the astronomical calculations to confirm this (Passover is reckoned by the lunar calendar), in part because of the confusion created by the Gregorian correction to our calendar. Perhaps somebody with a little more time might like to look into it and try to figure it out? And I am open to correction from a more learned person of the Jewish persuasion in my assessment of Sabbath keeping and Passover preparation.
yes Juan I have thought of this too. I am still not sure it was the yearly unleavened bread passover. A plural "Sabbaton" in Mt 28:1 refers to weekly Sabbath.
"High Day" of Jn 19:31 refers to weekly Sabbath, not 1st day of unleavened bread (I think)
Mary brought spices on Sunday (after sundown Saturday). I believe after sundown was considered the next day, like we consider 12 AM the next day.
I dont think the last supper was a literal passover either.
The disciples did not know that Jesus would be dead the following day and there is no mention of a passover lamb in preparation. Jesus was that lamb.
So far I see the gospels are all in one accord.

It would be good to ask in Judaism like you mention and see what NewAgeNerd or the others see in that, except they dont understand Jesus was the passover lamb.
Here is a link using the NJKV.:)

http://users.aristotle.net/~bhuie/po-eat.htm

Dear Bass, Bandit, Juan, Everyone,

I was not trying to start a debate about the days, just trying to find a way to honor God and enjoy fellowship with you all. As I said the timeline came out of my Bible and I'm not worried at all about whether it is literal-factually correct. However, following it as I posted would put us in synch with the majority of the members of the Body, which is meaningful to me.

However you decide is fine with me.

:)
peace,
lunamoth

lunamoth said:
Dear Bass, Bandit, Juan, Everyone,

I was not trying to start a debate about the days, just trying to find a way to honor God and enjoy fellowship with you all. As I said the timeline came out of my Bible and I'm not worried at all about whether it is literal-factually correct. However, following it as I posted would put us in synch with the majority of the members of the Body, which is meaningful to me.

However you decide is fine with me.

:)
peace,
lunamoth
I know Lunamoth. However one decides is fine with me too. it is not something I want to debate either. I think the scriptures turned out the way they did on purpose to keep us coming back to them. Good soul food:) .

Our church still passes out palm leaves on Palm Sunday and we make a pass through the isles of the temple with the branches at the beginning of service singing. Then the children get the branches at the end of the service and they take the lead passing through the temple singing. It is really a neat service.

Does anyone else still wave the palm branches?

I think every one will agree with that Luna

The important thing is the tomb is empty and the stone rolled away. :D

If anyone waved palm branches in my neck of the woods they would be plastic. LOL

I am starting to see something different about this guys. Check out this site and let me know what you think. What I am seeing is there may have been one of the two lambs eaten the same night of the last supper. For some reason I still see it as preparation and everything still falls into proper timing considering the way they viewed the hours then.
(sundown on thursday would actually be friday) see?

this certainly does not have to be a debate at all, but there is no reason why we cant fellowship and discuss it like brothers. That would be a real blessing.:)

http://www.cin.org/users/james/questions/q060.htm

"The Passover" could refer to at least four things: (1) it could refer to the two chagigah lambs which were slaughtered and eaten, one on the evening of 15 Nisan, during the Passover seder, and one on the following day of 15 Nisan (Jews at the time reckoned the day as beginning at sundown, so the evening of the day preceded the morning of the day), (2) it could refer to the Passover meal itself, (3) it could refer to the day on which the Passover meal was eaten, and (4) it could refer to the eight day festal cycle including both Passover day and the following seven day feast of Unleavened Bread. We see this latter usage in the gospels themselves. Luke 22:1 tells us: "Now the feast of Unleavened Bread drew near, which is called the Passover."

I used our modern days and the midnight to midnight just to make it easy to understand.

But yes it seems Jesus was crucified on the the 4th day of the week and in- tombed buy the beginning of the 5th day (Our thursday evening/Jewish beginning of Friday) calling that period the first night in the grave.

I think it is awesome that the passover was fullfilled even in the grave the rest of the sabbath the presenting Himself in Jerusalem as was required by the statutes of the time.
In other words the creation of our salvation was completed in the same way as the creation of the world. With sunday the 1st day beginning a new week and a new beginning for us as believers.

The only reason I had brought this up is because so many details and things that had been symbolic in times past where in this one week fufilled in the flesh. These little details show a God that doesnt change. The God that lead the children of Isreal out of Egypt is the same God that raised our Saviour from the dead. Every part was very important and every detail a blessing to know the truth of.

Just looking for a place to share these words of comfort:

I made you and I will carry you;
I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

(Isaiah 46:4b, NIV)

Looking forward to tomorrow's discussion about the fig tree and Jesus at the Temple:

The Fig Tree Withers
18Early in the morning, as he was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. 19Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered.
20When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. “How did the fig tree wither so quickly?” they asked.

21Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. 22If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”

(Matthew 21:18-21)

lunamoth

Back