What book are you reading at the moment?

A Suggested Title

Vajradhara said:
Namaste all..

"i tend to read certain books (genre) in certain areas. for instance.. i perfer to read my monotheist texts in my library. i find that i enjoy reading my Buddhist texts at lunch whilst i'm at work. i find that i enjoy reading my Taoist texts on weekends and i really don't read them during the week."

A NICE ONE IS THECELESTINE PROPHCEY BY JAMES REDFIELD.
IT IS A FUN BOOK, INTERESTING,FUN, AND CONTEMPORARY.
LATER ON,
BYRD
:D

BYRD GRIMM said:
Vajradhara said:
Namaste all..

"i tend to read certain books (genre) in certain areas. for instance.. i perfer to read my monotheist texts in my library. i find that i enjoy reading my Buddhist texts at lunch whilst i'm at work. i find that i enjoy reading my Taoist texts on weekends and i really don't read them during the week."

A NICE ONE IS THECELESTINE PROPHCEY BY JAMES REDFIELD.
IT IS A FUN BOOK, INTERESTING,FUN, AND CONTEMPORARY.
LATER ON,
BYRD
:D
Namaste Byrd,

i read that book back in the 90's.. my mother really enjoyed it and encouraged me to give it a read. i was nonplussed by it really.

did you enjoy it?

Such heavy reading material. Stuck into the Vampire Chronicles once again...:) Patiently awaiting the next novel in the saga of Lestat and the Mayfair Witches. Really ought to start on the other books but I have lurking on the shelves gathering dust. I go through spurts of reading, some fact some fiction.
Nice to see a kinda book review here.
I'm surprised that Monty Python hasn't really hit Stateside. But then again our British humour is somewhat unique, you just have to look at The Carry On Films. None can equal them.:D And I have to say very British, I don't think they travel well.

suanni said:
Such heavy reading material. Stuck into the Vampire Chronicles once again...:) Patiently awaiting the next novel in the saga of Lestat and the Mayfair Witches. Really ought to start on the other books but I have lurking on the shelves gathering dust. I go through spurts of reading, some fact some fiction.
Nice to see a kinda book review here.
I'm surprised that Monty Python hasn't really hit Stateside. But then again our British humour is somewhat unique, you just have to look at The Carry On Films. None can equal them.:D And I have to say very British, I don't think they travel well.
Namaste suanni,

interestingly enough... one of my childhood friends' aunt is Anne Rice. we got a chance to go to a party at her house in New Orleans... talk about an odd house... she has a sarcogophas in the front room because, as she said "i'm scared of mummies." which i found to be very funny, coming from her :)

oh.. some Yanks like the Python troope, don't worry about that ;) in one of the high schools that i attended, we had a talent contest, or should i say a lack of talent contest... in any event.. my friends and i did a Monty Python skit, the Evolution of Jape.... we thought it was great... not many others did :)

Call me impatient but when is the next one coming out? She did it again, leaving 'my darling Lestat' at the point of getting up to no good again (In my mind). I would also love to see an update on the Taltos! Hint,hint (I also fell in love with Lasher, such a shame he died...ah sigh) My favourite method of escapism! If she based Lestat upon someone I would really like to meet him;)
Ah artists and their little eccentricities. Maybe the sarcogophas is to scare her to write so well!!! Think I know what they maybe for though, the Queen of the Damned was Egyptian. To write so many good novels she could live in an old Gothic mansion, I don't care, I LOVE her work. I've read most of her work. I loved Violin, loved The Servant of the Bones.
I fell in love with Lestat at 'first bite', he's everything in a man I love. He could come and bite my neck anytime (providing I can spend a few centuries with him:) )
Thankyou for that little bit of info and excuse me for adoration....is it of Lestat or of his creator?:D

On the subject of the British humour....it is kinda like different. Toilet humour, we often refer it to or nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Everyone is different in their tastes in humour. I like some American comedy (George of the Jungle), not much though. The Carry On Films (if you could ever get hold of a copy) are definitely British (Forget Carry On Columbus....that sadly lacked the old formula), as are the St. Trinian's Films, the 'Doctor' films....the books are available, author is Richard Gordon and are as good as the films....they're old though.

Originally posted by suanni
Call me impatient but when is the next one coming out? She did it again, leaving 'my darling Lestat' at the point of getting up to no good again (In my mind). I would also love to see an update on the Taltos! Hint,hint (I also fell in love with Lasher, such a shame he died...ah sigh) My favourite method of escapism! If she based Lestat upon someone I would really like to meet him;)
Check out her web site http://www.annerice.com. It might give you the answers you require. ;)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Thanks

Been there, being a fan....of course I've been there....although not for a while. The site has been massively updated since I was last on and it has answered a number of questions. So sad to see that her husband, Stan (the inspiration for Lestat...he must have been some man) has passed on.
Thankyou:D

Now about to start on another favourite author's (Konstantinos) books, which has mysteriously reappeared after months of searching for it!

I read the vampire chronicles 10 years ago, in a trailer by the beach, in Puerto Penasco, Mexico. My hubby and I swapped books back and forth all weekend until we ran out of books. Then we headed back to the States. (And broke down on a Native American reservation ... but that is another story ... book material even! ;) )

And to respond to Vajra's question about reading patterns (see! I remembered this time ... ), I need to be in a certain state to read certain things. Some books just aren't conducive to riding the subway or out in the yard. I can't read Jane Eyre in the Summer, only in the Winter. The same with Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey. They are too psychological and dark for a bright sunny day. Pride and Prejudice, on the other hand, is a great read for a breezy, cool, and sunny afternoon. And I always read the Lord of the Rings in September. Don't know why. Maybe it's the memory of starting a new journey every September when I was in school ... ???

Zenda

I'm reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. It's a really good story that depicts her objectivist views. It's an excellent book and even though its really long (about 1100 pages) I would still recommend reading it if you are interested in politics, the economy, or want to learn more about objectivism.

I am reading The Rosicrucian Cosmo-Conception by Max Heindel
and The Book of Deer, which has many authors and, of course, The Holy Q'uran.

"The curious incident of the dog in the night-time" by Mark Haddon. I've just started but like it already. And of course Ananda Sutram.

just picked up two new texts...

Natural Liberation through Seeing the Bardo of your Mind Stream by Padmasambhava as narrated by Yeshe Tsogyal

and

The Nature of Space/Time by Roger Penrose and Stephen Hawking.

now... talking about the Lasher book...

did anyone else find it as erotic as i did? i am not sure what it is but when Anne chooses to, she can create as erotic a scenario as anyone. the fact that he was invisible also added to it, for me at least.

here i am a bit embarrassed to admit it, but i've read the entire Beauty series by her as well.. .though, of course, she was using a pen name at the time ;)

Vajradhara said:
now... talking about the Lasher book...i am not sure what it is but when Anne chooses to, she can create as erotic a scenario as anyone. the fact that he was invisible also added to it, for me at least.
One of the most disturbing authors I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

With all of this talk of Ann Rice, I might take some time out to look at one of her tomes.

Right now, I'm reading the third book in the Thomas Covenant first trilogy, The Power That Preserves (I had just returned the second book, The Illearth War, to its rightful owner and exchanged it for the third one. He promised me that, after I finish this one, he'll loan me the first book in the next Thomas Covenant trilogy.) I'm also reading through my latest cooking magazine, The Andromeda Strain, and I, Robot (again.) Gotta get a few more books besides the ones I already own before I end up climbing the walls from sheer boredom.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I'm now on The Wounded Land by Stephen R. Donaldson (first book of the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant trilogy.) It's nice to have friends so willing to warp your fragile little mind in such a positive way. :D

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine said:
I'm now on The Wounded Land by Stephen R. Donaldson (first book of the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant trilogy.) It's nice to have friends so willing to warp your fragile little mind in such a positive way. :D

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
wow... that's a great trilogy... though i've not read them in many a year now :)

do you want to hear something funny? when i was looking for wedding rings.. i insisted on White Gold... hey.. you never know ;)

Vajradhara said:
now... talking about the Lasher book...

did anyone else find it as erotic as i did? i am not sure what it is but when Anne chooses to, she can create as erotic a scenario as anyone. the fact that he was invisible also added to it, for me at least.

here i am a bit embarrassed to admit it, but i've read the entire Beauty series by her as well.. .though, of course, she was using a pen name at the time ;)
A friend at work lent them to me recently. I thought a lot of it was absurd, but some passages were pretty good and well ... erotic. Although I guess that's the point ... :rolleyes:

With metta,
Zenda

Back