What book are you reading at the moment?

My current stack:

The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs by Patricia McConnel
Textual Poachers: Television Fans & Participatory Culture by Henry Jenkins
Soulcraft: Crossing into the Mysteries of Nature and Psyche by Bill Plotkin
Poets on the Peaks: Gary Snyder, Philip Whalen & Jack Kerouac in the North Cascades by John Suiter
the current issue of Poets & Writers magazine
fanfic, lots and lots of fanfic -- at the moment, largely XFiles/Lone Gunmen and The Sentinel, with the occasional detour into Stargate SG1 and Due South (yes, I'm really that weird)

Since I just moved a couple of weeks ago, most of my library is still in boxes, hence the shortness of the reading list.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Vajradhara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
I'm now on The Wounded Land by Stephen R. Donaldson (first book of the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant trilogy.) It's nice to have friends so willing to warp your fragile little mind in such a positive way. :D

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

wow... that's a great trilogy... though i've not read them in many a year now :)
I finished The Wounded Land and am now on The One Tree. I'm seriously considering buying copies of the entire series for myself (if only for referense :p .) Isn't it grand to have friends who are so willing to "warp" one's "fragile little mind" in such a way? ;)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Kindest Regards, all!

After finally making it through all the other stuff I printed out for other discussions, I am currently in the middle of Gould's "Rocks of Ages." I can now see some of the comments made elsewhere, and I am more convinced I like Gould and his take on the whole religion vs. science thing.

PS, I got through the first Thomas Covenant trilogy long ago, good, but no comparison to the Lord of the Rings, which I had completed only just before. FWIW.

juantoo3 said:
Kindest Regards!

On the subject of series books, has anyone else read Frank Herbert's "Dune" series? :D
oh yes!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Vajradhara said:
oh yes!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Fear is the thought killer.

juantoo3 said:
Fear is the thought killer.
hehe... close :)

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

and of course... how can we forget...

I won't tell you who the traitor is, or when we'll attack. However, the Duke will die before these eyes and he'll know, he'll know, that it is I, Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, who encompasses his doom!

Vajradhara said:
hehe... close :)

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
Yes, I must ask forgiveness, it has been what...20 years or so since I read it?

Was there not also a passage about looking far afield for wolves, ignoring the one at the gate?

juantoo3 said:
Yes, I must ask forgiveness, it has been what...20 years or so since I read it?

Was there not also a passage about looking far afield for wolves, ignoring the one at the gate?
oh.. it's bee a long time since i've read it as well... i'm remembering the movie, most often, when i think of this work.

hmm... i'm not entirely sure... i'll have to sluth around...

Kindest Regards Vaj!
Vajradhara said:
oh.. it's bee a long time since i've read it as well... i'm remembering the movie, most often, when i think of this work.

hmm... i'm not entirely sure... i'll have to sluth around...
The movie "Dune" was something of a disappointment for me, too much story in too little time. There was so much nuance glossed over or completely ignored. Frankly, had I not read the book, I suspect the movie would have gone over my head. My experience was much the same with "2001", except I saw the movie first. Of course, as a 9 year old, I don't think I was expected to "get it." I read the book as a teenager, and saw the movie again, and it made so much more sense then. Dune is even deeper regarding so many aspects of human nature. Also quite poignant and telling, considering the state of the world today, since the book(s) were written in the '60's.

Just picked up In Search of Zarathustra : Across Iran and Central Asia to Find the World's First Prophet by Paul Krizwaczek. A fascinating read. Has anyone else read this? Can anyone speak to whether his perceptions of Islam etc. are accurate?

With metta,
Zenda

Originally posted by Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
I finished The Wounded Land and am now on The One Tree. I'm seriously considering buying copies of the entire series for myself (if only for referense :p .) Isn't it grand to have friends who are so willing to "warp" one's "fragile little mind" in such a way? ;)
Finished The One Tree and am now starting White Gold Wielder. I'm not sure how my friends are going to warp my fragile little mind after I finish this book. Perhaps with Cats In Space which I've been eyeing in their current residence. I think it's by Bill Fawcett, but I'm not sure (haven't gotten a chance to look that closely.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

juantoo3 said:
Kindest Regards Vaj!
The movie "Dune" was something of a disappointment for me, too much story in too little time. There was so much nuance glossed over or completely ignored. Frankly, had I not read the book, I suspect the movie would have gone over my head. My experience was much the same with "2001", except I saw the movie first. Of course, as a 9 year old, I don't think I was expected to "get it." I read the book as a teenager, and saw the movie again, and it made so much more sense then. Dune is even deeper regarding so many aspects of human nature. Also quite poignant and telling, considering the state of the world today, since the book(s) were written in the '60's.
Namaste Juan,

oh.. no doubt about it... in my experience, if someone hasn't read the books, the movie is mostly seen as some type of action flick... if that. there are alot of my friends that didn't the book and still have no idea what the movie is about.. though they've watched it often.

this is, of course, not unique to this movie treatment of the book... take a look at LoTR for instance... whilst i'm ok with leaving out all the singing... i wish they would have had the Tom Bombidil scene with the Barrow Wights.. that was a fantastic scene in the book.. though since Tom sings all the time... they probably left it out for that reason.

Whenever I try to read a book these days, it all appears scrambled to me. Can barely emulate an American dialect anymore, much less read a book from start to finish.

It's as though the book becomes a medium through which I and those around me are able to talk without speaking and, well, to be honest, I think most Americans, these days, spend far too much time trying to figure out what other people are doing instead of just...being themselves.

Magazines are somewhat tasty though.

:)

hey sidi )

well try reading in the mornings when your brain's freshened. if yer working that'll be difficult of course but why dont you try reading @ weekends.
just finished reading kozinski's 'painted bird' if you havent read that yet, im quite sure you'll like it. right now, reading 'Galileo's Commandment'. i do really hate the book itself, though feeling quite illaterate in those matters.

The Spiral Staircase ( K. Armstrong, for a book club) and The Battle for God (also by K. Armstrong, thought I'd tackle 'em together). Gearing up for Anna Karanina (trying to do one classic per summer, and summer is almost over).

I finished White Gold Wielder, and am now reading Cats In Space and Other Places (which is an anthology of feline related scifi/fantasy stories collected by Bill Fawcett.) The oldest story in the collection is from 1939,and the newest ones are from 1991 (the anthology is from 1992.)

I shall soon be reading a heck of a lot more books at the same time (school begins September 2 for me.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Ken Wilber's "Sex, Ecology, Spirituality; The Spirit of Evolution."

Ok....I'm re-reading portions of it. It's a little dense and I proceed by reading small bits of it and then spending lots of time in contemplation. At my current pace, I'll finish it sometime next year. :D

Back