Genesis 3:3-4

But that's another thread topic, why the god of Genesis II needed to lie to the human beings he supposedly created. Neither Adam or Eve died when they ate of the fruit of the tree of knowledge. "but of the tree of knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the DAY that you eat of it you shall surely die.

Adam lived on to the unbelievable age of 930 years, (Gen 5:5) and Genesis II has so set the stage for the degradation of women that the death of Eve isn't even mentioned.

Why would a god who created lesser beings and supposedly controlled everything about that creation of them get mad at these beings he himself has created and is responsible for what they are? That is not a very psychologically healthy god to say the least..this sets the tone for worshiping something less than Goodness as God.

~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~

Plato, Mindfreak, and Paganprophet,

I agree with Juan, that talking trash about Genesis in a Christian thread shows a lack of respect.

I already have a non-Christian thread where these things are discussed, without a danger of disrespect.

http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/pentateuch-wisdom-6950-11.html

Feel free to visit that thread, and ask me about Saul's wife, and other things in the Bible that do not, well, make sense.

Re: ~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~

paganprophet said:
Only the Gnostics knew the truth of Genesis 3:3-4
that must be why they were such a huge success, still exist in such large numbers and are so influential nowadays.

Haven't any of you noticed the change of God's name and the whole tone of difference between the God of Genesis I and the god of Genesis II?
it may have escaped your attention, pp, but this was the founding myth of the "documentary hypothesis". we are well aware of it and i would make the same answer to you that i make to everyone - my auntie is also my cousin's mother, my uncle's wife and a grandmother to her grandchildren. each of us call her something different and she is different things to all of us, yet astonishingly, she manages to be just one person.

Elohim vs. Yahweh is what's going on.
in the sense of the midot, perhaps. if you look at the context, you will see that every time the E-Name is used, it is in a context of Divine Judgement, yet when the Y-Name is used, it is in a context of Divine Mercy. and have you noticed the combined name in 2:4-9, 2:15-16, 2:18-19, 2:21-22, 3:1, 3:8-9 and 3:13-14, 3:21-23? we have, many centuries ago.

Jesus tried to tell you and yet Christianity went on its merry way following the Jewish traditions with Paul and then Augustine expanding the idea of Original Sin to separate human beings from their Source in Elohim.
except that judaism has no concept of "original sin".

Then there's the lies..
...such as?

But that's another thread topic, why the god of Genesis II needed to lie to the human beings he supposedly created. Neither Adam or Eve died when they ate of the fruit of the tree of knowledge. "but of the tree of knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the DAY that you eat of it you shall surely die.
i'd spit, but i'm too busy laughing. *that's* your criticism? *that's* your exegesis? hur, hur, hur. adam and eve could not die *in the garden*. mortals cannot live *in the garden*. to be human is to be mortal. to be able to live with the knowledge that your actions have consequences is the quintessence of mortality. when they chose choice, they chose mortality. an immortal could not exist within the framework of normal causality - i mean, what would happen if someone chopped his head off? what would stop him smoking a thousand cigarettes a day? would causality be suspended? what adam and eve chose was the *ability to learn and through it, to change and develop*. G!D does not change. it was the serpent that lied and told them that they would be "like G!D" - they might have thought that, but the downside would be realising that with their new knowledge, their new freedom, came consequences and a price.

Why would a god who created lesser beings and supposedly controlled everything about that creation of them get mad at these beings he himself has created and is responsible for what they are? That is not a very psychologically healthy god to say the least..this sets the tone for worshiping something less than Goodness as God.
read the text again, mate. nowhere does it say that G!D Was Angry. G!D Gets Angry, sure, it's quite common later on, but not here. would you get angry at a baby for dirtying its nappy? there is nothing in the text to support this assertion - it's simply a lot of gnostic fidgie-widgieness.

b'shalom

bananabrain

bananabrain said:
to be human is to be mortal. to be able to live with the knowledge that your actions have consequences is the quintessence of mortality. when they chose choice, they chose mortality. an immortal could not exist within the framework of normal causality - i mean, what would happen if someone chopped his head off? what would stop him smoking a thousand cigarettes a day? would causality be suspended? what adam and eve chose was the *ability to learn and through it, to change and develop*.

You stoked my curiosity, BB. At the risk of hijacking this thread, assuming there was an afterlife (i.e. resurrection), would humans be mortal or immortal? Would we still be able to make choices? If we could, then we couldn't live in the Paradise?

hi bananabrain,
it was the serpent that lied and told them that they would be "like G!D" -
me and muslimwoman were talking about this on another thread, actually and want to see what you think about this. you see the serpent in a sense didn't lie for it is written in the KJV:
Psalms 82:1 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.
Psalms 82:6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High
in the tanach it is written:
Psalm 82 God stands in the congregation of God; in the midst of the judges He will judge.
Psalm 82:6 I said, "You are angelic creatures, and all of you are angels of the Most High."
Judges 16:31 And he judged Israel twenty years.
now, if Samson was a judge, and the tanach replaces the word gods with judges and Samson was godlike or superhuman... just makes me wonder. know what i mean? should i take it easy and not think like a child and take everything literally? i mean is it me or is the scripture a prophecy of how mankind will be after the messianic age? please bear with me for i am only trying to understand this scripture since it is so mindblowing. hope to hear from you soon.

Dondi said:
At the risk of hijacking this thread, assuming there was an afterlife (i.e. resurrection), would humans be mortal or immortal? Would we still be able to make choices? If we could, then we couldn't live in the Paradise?
i guess the argument i am making is that if you are not mortal, you are no longer really human. that's more of a philosophical point, which is what i believe is alluded to by the midrashic 600ft tall spiky hermaphrodite adam. the more logical point is that the edenic state is one of complete communion with the Divine, whatever we mean by that, but in that sense you are so much a part of the Divine that the concept of choice cannot be operative, because it presupposes sin, which is by definition the choice to do the *wrong thing*. by definition, of course, this is not possible as part of the Divine, therefore logically it seems to me that the edenic state must preclude choice, as we would effectively become similar to angelic beings.

LeoSalinas22 said:
Psalms 82:1 G!D standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.
ok - you're having a translation issue. the hebrew is not as straightforward. i would read it as "G!D (E-LoHIM) stands in the congregation of G!D (E-L), judging in the midst of the mighty/princes/judges/important people/celestial beings (eLOHIM - with a "small e", as it were). this is a literary construction and could be taken to refer to our conception of a celestial "supreme court", where G!D acts as Chair.

Psalms 82:6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
i would read it as "you are mighty/princes/important people/celestial beings (eLOHIM - with a "small e"), children of the Most High (E-LYON)".

incidentally, verse 7 (normally translated as "you shall fall like one of the [sarim] angelic princes") would not therefore refer to ha-satan or anything like that, but to the primordial adam who was first an angelic being, but then, in line with his choice to choose choice, became a human.

as you correctly point out, the word used of samson is also "judge" - ShoPheT - which is the same root as that used in ps 82:1: "YiShPoT". this bears out the "supreme court" imagery mentioned above.

i mean is it me or is the scripture a prophecy of how mankind will be after the messianic age? please bear with me for i am only trying to understand this scripture since it is so mindblowing.
i don't think it's a prophecy for the future, not at first glance (mind you i read this psalm every tuesday) but more of a cosmic description of How Things Are, if that makes any sense.

b'shalom

bananabrain

i guess the argument i am making is that if you are not mortal, you are no longer really human. that's more of a philosophical point, which is what i believe is alluded to by the midrashic 600ft tall spiky hermaphrodite adam. the more logical point is that the edenic state is one of complete communion with the Divine, whatever we mean by that, but in that sense you are so much a part of the Divine that the concept of choice cannot be operative, because it presupposes sin, which is by definition the choice to do the *wrong thing*. by definition, of course, this is not possible as part of the Divine, therefore logically it seems to me that the edenic state must preclude choice, as we would effectively become similar to angelic beings.

So the view in Judaism is that we would be like angels in an edenic state in the afterlife?

according to some sources. our view of the afterlife and the World-to-Come is aggadic - in other words, there is no one authoritative opinion, rather a plethora of recondite symbolic statements.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Back