Mystery Thread

Kind of changing the subject (but not completely) here's an idea I had for an interesting cake using sweetened condensed milk (or melted caramels):

Line a fluted tube cake pan with toasted chopped pecans before pouring in chocolate cake batter. Bake as per instructions. Make dulche de leche from sweetened condensed milk (or melt caramels.) Pour the caramel treat over the cake after it has been removed from the pan and cooled thoroughly. Ta-daaaa, turtle cake.

I know. Mope corner.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

greymare,

I almost forgot a rather important thing in the instructions: make sure to "brush off" the loose pecans before pouring on the caramel (perhaps sprinkling the loose pecans over the caramel so you don't waste them. :eek:)

Back to my "residence" - the Mope Corner.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I'm bumping this thread back up with these two recipes posted elsewhere on the forum...yum....
You musta missed lunch again, SG, or else you would be taking such lovely, enviable temperate temperatures so hard.

But it's not too late for wild mushroom and goat cheese strudel with herb pesto...

str_012605_strudel.jpg

For your interest, here's a recipe for mushroom and goat cheese strudel with balsamic syrup.
http://closetcooking.blogspot.com/2008/04/mushroom-and-goat-cheese-strudel-with.html

ok you have pressured me
4cups sr flour
1 cup custard powder
1 tin condensed milk
1 500grm butter
2 cups sugar
mix together
teaspoon of mix to cook for 10 mins
after cooked, make up icing and join bikkies togethere and keep infreezer until you are ready to eat.............
thats it....
my secret family recipe...............

Yum....

I don't recall if I posted the recipe ("receipt") for cream pie with variations here, but I tried one of my (in)famous experiments with it. I couldn't decide between bringing a chocolate cream pie or a banana cream pie, so I made a chocolate banana cream pie.

I didn't get any. :(

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I don't recall if I posted the recipe ("receipt") for cream pie with variations here, but I tried one of my (in)famous experiments with it. I couldn't decide between bringing a chocolate cream pie or a banana cream pie, so I made a chocolate banana cream pie.

I didn't get any. :(

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
Yum. Did you mix the chocolate into cream filling mixture, or did you put a layer of dark chocolate on the pastry before adding the filling in order to keep the pastry from getting soggy?

Yum. Did you mix the chocolate into cream filling mixture, or did you put a layer of dark chocolate on the pastry before adding the filling in order to keep the pastry from getting soggy?

Made the chocolate cream filling and folded the sliced bananas into that.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Another recipe from my "throwtogether" pile: cheeseburger pie.

Basically it starts like the beefy broccoli casserole recipe ("meat"-wise) with the browning of the "meat", onions and the peppers, but withholding the broccoli and without making the rice. Add a small can of tomato sauce (puree for those of you who don't use American terms for the stuff) along with 2 T. of tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce to taste. Pour into an unbaked 9" deep dish pie shell, then cover with between 1 and 2 c. shredded cheese (I used American cheese last time I made this) and cover with a second pie crust. Cut slits into the top crust and bake as directed for the pastry.

Next time I might try using leftover mashed potatoes for a top crust. :eek:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine (Mope Corner resident)

Another recipe from my "throwtogether" pile: cheeseburger pie.

Basically it starts like the beefy broccoli casserole recipe ("meat"-wise) with the browning of the "meat", onions and the peppers, but withholding the broccoli and without making the rice. Add a small can of tomato sauce (puree for those of you who don't use American terms for the stuff) along with 2 T. of tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce to taste. Pour into an unbaked 9" deep dish pie shell, then cover with between 1 and 2 c. shredded cheese (I used American cheese last time I made this) and cover with a second pie crust. Cut slits into the top crust and bake as directed for the pastry.

Next time I might try using leftover mashed potatoes for a top crust. :eek:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine (Mope Corner resident)

Hey Phyllis!

I bow to your unmatched talent in the cooking department, but what if you used the mashed potatoes for the *whole* crust, I mean wouldn't that be a variation on shepherd's pie?

Another variation I tried once and was quite pleased with, was a recycle of Thanksgiving turkey...using stuffing for the crust, the turkey meat and veggies and gravy inside, and topped with the mashed potatoes. That came out well for me, I'll have to remember to try again this year.

Hey Phyllis!

I bow to your unmatched talent in the cooking department, but what if you used the mashed potatoes for the *whole* crust, I mean wouldn't that be a variation on shepherd's pie?

Another variation I tried once and was quite pleased with, was a recycle of Thanksgiving turkey...using stuffing for the crust, the turkey meat and veggies and gravy inside, and topped with the mashed potatoes. That came out well for me, I'll have to remember to try again this year.

Aw, shucks. :eek: Most of my recipes come from desperation or from much better cooks (like the cream cheese frosting "receipt" posted by InLove.)

I might try your variation using vegetarian Peking Duck and Chinese vegetables for the usual turkey and "traditional" veggies. Maybe add some cranberries or leftover cranberry sauce. *shrug*

Back to the infamous corner. :kitty:s are waiting.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Hey Phyllis!

You have leftover gravy from thanksgiving? Gee, I have to make both kettle AND pan gravy (at least a gallon--in a BIG soup tureen) in order to get any leftover gravy.

Back