Conversion Help!

Wow, I vaguely remember posting this years ago. Since then I have abandoned my conversion attempt.

I do not feel an outsider can actually convert unless they know someone who is already within the Jewish community.

I also think that it would be much easier to convert if you are converting for marriage. Judaism isn't some weekly religious service you attend, it's a life style, a way of living.

I have abandoned my belief in God as well and I feel much happier for it.

I am not down on people who do believe, but I don't feel I can believe without fooling myself or I would have to put up blinders.

I do, however, practice meditation through non-mystical buddhism to clear my mind and help me refocus.

Just responding to update,

Kwind

Judaism isn't some weekly religious service you attend, it's a life style, a way of living.

Yesterday at Tesco's bumped into the new addition to our lil village some jews!!! :D Side burns, hats and everything full on jews! Was awesome to see in the flesh lol.. (I am a weirdo... Never have a camera when you want one... lol.) Went past them and said Shavua Tov!!! Trying to be all smart an all and they went on to say that was really just a festival greeting.. However I still think it is a nice suggestion so I offered them a shalom instead lol. But yeah certainly a way of life I was just fascinated by their way of dressing heh...... Probally thought to them selves "the goy's around here must be crazy!!!!!" Oh and I believe any religion you take up should be a life style not just a weekly thing... Love and peace ain't just a weekend job.

Anyway!!

No longer believe in god? What made you stop? Also what made you believe in the first place?

Alex,

Only a very small minority of Jews dress like that. They look a heck of a lot like the amish because they're both maintaining style of dress that existed for a time in eastern europe. In the scheme of things ultra-orthodoxy is a fairly modern Jewish movement.

-- Dauer

still, alex, that's a kiddush HaShem, a sanctification of the Name, good on you. shame they didn't respond in a less didactic way, but they were probably totally and utterly surprised!

b'shalom

bananabrain

Alex,

Only a very small minority of Jews dress like that. They look a heck of a lot like the amish because they're both maintaining style of dress that existed for a time in eastern europe. In the scheme of things ultra-orthodoxy is a fairly modern Jewish movement.

-- Dauer

Side burns would look good on you D! :D

still, alex, that's a kiddush HaShem, a sanctification of the Name, good on you. shame they didn't respond in a less didactic way, but they were probably totally and utterly surprised!

b'shalom

bananabrain

hehe... I guess I can come across as quite overwhelming when excited, wide eyes and large smile isn't the norm lol.... I hope I meet them again(well in this small place, I am sure I will.) Try and not come across as a lunatic next time :p

The family had one of the large Tesco trolleys... I wasn't aware that Tescos sold Kosher food? Then again I guess it isn't something I tend to look out for.

If your husband does not convert with you, many rabbis will not accept you as a conversion candidate as they would be creating an intermarriage.
Also, Judaism is heavily home centered. Is your husband willing to keep kosher?
Observe shabbas and yom tov? How can you do all this without your husband?

Judaism is also heavily community orientated, and I think you might find it tough
to be involved in community events and activities if your husband is not interested
in them.

Yesterday at Tesco's bumped into the new addition to our lil village some jews!!! :D Side burns, hats and everything full on jews! Went past them and said Shavua Tov!!! Trying to be all smart an all and they went on to say that was really just a festival greeting..

Are you sure they were Jews, LOL? Some of the crazy Messianic gentiles run around trying to look and act more Jewish than Jews.
A couple of the Messianic gentiles in our area make the Chabad rabbi
look like a goy!

And "shavua tov" is not a holiday greeting, it just means "good week"
and is used after havladah/shabbas.

Back