shaking womens hands

Tao_Equus said:
Thank you for the link. It seems there is nothing to stop a handshake as long as there is no desire or fear of desire. Glad thats cleared up :)

yes i agree, i feel that answered my question. thanx for the link. working with students at a college, i know many muslims women, we shake hands, smile and talk and they are very friendly with me. its a nice place.

No Muslim man is to shake hands with a non mahram women. I don't like Islam online this website is trying to make Islam look good to the west by watering down Islam so people in the west will feel all happy inside. They also say Muslims can play Music and go to movies both are also Haraam. :mad:

Yaqinud Din said:
No Muslim man is to shake hands with a non mahram women. I don't like Islam online this website is trying to make Islam look good to the west by watering down Islam so people in the west will feel all happy inside. They also say Muslims can play Music and go to movies both are also Haraam. :mad:

That is your understanding. Not every muslim believes as you do.

They also say Muslims can play Music and go to movies both are also Haraam. :mad:[/QUOTE said:
reminds me of that movie footloose... anyone see that?

BlaznFattyz said:
reminds me of that movie footloose... anyone see that?
I havent seen it but i know what its about. And still, this sounds more like a deriding post than anything else. Lets try to keep focused by posting constructively.

thipps said:
No bowing Phyllis. Dont offer your hand. Just say hello. Give a slight nod of the head even if you like.:) The question isnt stupid.

Thank you for the answer, now here comes another rather stupid question: if the Muslim man offers his hand to shake, it is then permissible to shake it, or is it still haraam?

Sorry. :eek:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Thank you for the answer, now here comes another rather stupid question: if the Muslim man offers his hand to shake, it is then permissible to shake it, or is it still haraam?
Ty for your question.That was really a genius type of a q.As it is evident from the previous posts,whether shaking hands is haram or not depends on the situation and on the age of the handshakers.

If a muslim man want's to shake hands with a women and there is no fear of desire there is nothing wrong,and if he is shaking hands just for enjoyment then it's wrong.Personally i guess you are not allowed to shake hands with young women because i being a young man know there is always a fear of desire.So what i conclude is you can shake hands with older female and with childrens.

The above explanation is very subjective so it can be wrong,at the same time it can be right,i don't know.:eek:
p.ali

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine said:

Sorry. :eek:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
haraam for whom? For him, yes; for you... well, you're not Muslim now are you? So, you wont feel obliged to follow Islamic rulings. I personally would like you to not shake his hand and remind him that Muslim men arent supposed to shake the hands of women but, then again, you might not be enclined to do that cause he just might decide to not be your doctor anymore.
tough decision for you.
And Allah knows best.

PluckyAli said:
As it is evident from the previous posts,whether shaking hands is haram or not depends on the situation and on the age of the handshakers.
don't be too sure about that article by Yusuf Al-Qaradawi...not just yet atleast. I'm trying to find some time to have a closer look at what he has written and the evidence he has quoted cause I know that whatever Yaqinud Din posted is right, so I suspect something fishy in his article. I might be wrong but, hey, it doesnt matter in the end. The truth is all that matters.
regards,
thipps.

Hi All

just thought that I'd point out that this shaking of hands and the implied tension between a western view and an Islamic one.

If in the west a man touch's a woman with desire it is called sexual harassment, if the woman feels that the touch is of sufficient threat then she has (rightly so) re-course to the law.

I think the positions are not that far apart...

Peace.

Are there any suggestions for us brothers who have to work with and occasionally meet with female clients? For instance, I've had situations where a woman would offer her hand, and I would have to say, "I'm sorry I don't shake womens' hands." and even to me it sounds rude the way I say it. What do you do when a woman offers her hand to you? How do you make it clear that you're not being rude?

--Would a rose, by any other...?

namesdontmatter said:
Are there any suggestions for us brothers who have to work with and occasionally meet with female clients? For instance, I've had situations where a woman would offer her hand, and I would have to say, "I'm sorry I don't shake womens' hands." and even to me it sounds rude the way I say it. What do you do when a woman offers her hand to you? How do you make it clear that you're not being rude?

--Would a rose, by any other...?
Well, i suggest you explain to them (before the situation arises) that Islam does not allow you to shake hands with women and thats the reason you ask them politely to not offer thier hands for shaking, so that there is no awkwardness in the first place.
If someone, who does not know this, offers thier hand.. well, you obviously cant shake thier hand... so you directly say: 'My religion does not allow me to shake hands with women' so that they know right away and there is less chance of being offended by them. The following hadith should help. The situation in the hadith seems to be similar to what you might face.
And Ahmad narrated with a saheeh isnaad (authentic chain of narration) from Umaymah bint Raqeeqah that she said: “I came to the Messenger of Allaah (pbuh) with other women to give the oath of allegiance to him, and he accepted our pledge to abide by what is in the Qur’aan… We said: ‘O Messenger of Allaah, will you not shake hands with us?’ He said, ‘I do not shake hands with women. Rather what I say to a hundred woman is what I would say to one woman.’”
The point is that your intention is not to be rude, so hopefully the other person will realize this when you explain to them.
hope this helped.
And Allaah knows best.

Last edited:
Awaiting_the_fifth said:
Are the rulings against touching womens hands in the Quran or Hadith?

Bumping this question as I'd like to know too.

redindica said:
Hi All

just thought that I'd point out that this shaking of hands and the implied tension between a western view and an Islamic one.

If in the west a man touch's a woman with desire it is called sexual harassment, if the woman feels that the touch is of sufficient threat then she has (rightly so) re-course to the law.

I think the positions are not that far apart...

Peace.

or she could do a karate chop and self defense moves

i think in the islam religion there is no shaking hands with women PERIOD.

it is so different because at my church everyone greets each other with Praise the Lord! and a hand shake.

would it be a contradiction to be allowed four wives, and virgins in heaven for men, yet a simple handshake is not allowed? it seems a little sided for the benefit of men who make the rules. as it has been seen in this thread, depending on who interprets or has power to enforce these rules, some may shake hands and some may not. maybe someone can help explain this?

it seems a little sided for the benefit of men who make the rules.

No Allah makes the rules

“The only saying of the faithful believers, when they are called to Allaah (His Words, the Qur’aan) and His Messenger, to judge between them, is that they say: ‘We hear and we obey.’ And such are the successful (who will live forever in Paradise)” [al-Noor 24:51]

And your Lord is not at all unjust to (His) slaves”(Fussilat 41:46)

“Is not Allaah the Best of judges?” [al-Teen 95:8]

“Do they then seek the judgement of (the days of) Ignorance? And who is better in judgement than Allaah for a people who have firm Faith?” [al-Maa’idah 5:50

about al-hoor al-'iyn st

Only the Shaheed will have 72 Hoor 'iyn

It was narrated that al-Miqdaam ibn Ma’di Yakrib said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The martyr has six blessings with Allaah: he will be forgiven from the first drop of blood shed; he will be shown his place in Paradise; he will be protected from the torment of the grave; he will be safe from the greater terror; a crown of dignity will be placed on his head, one ruby of which is better than this world and everything in it; he will be married to seventy-two wives from al-hoor al-‘iyn; and he will intercede for seventy of his relatives.”

The suicide bombers are not Shaheed.

Indeed, whoever (intentionally) kills himself, then certainly he will be punished in the Fire of Hell, wherein he shall dwell forever (Bukhaaree (5778) and Muslim (109 and 110)

And do not kill yourselves. Surely, Allaah is Most Merciful to you}, [Soorah an-Nisaa., Aayah 29].

And whoever kills a believer intentionally, his recompense is Hell to abide therein, and the Wrath and the Curse of Allaah are upon him, and a great punishment is prepared for him}, [Soorah an-Nisaa, Aayah 93].

The least of the people of Paradise will have two wives, and some will have more than that.

Al-hoor al-‘iyn will be wives of the men in Paradise

So (it will be). And We shall marry them to Hoor (fair females) with wide lovely eyes” [al-Dukhaan 44:54]

“They will recline (with ease) on thrones arranged in ranks. And We shall marry them to Hoor (fair females) with wide lovely eyes” [al-Toor 52:20]

Women will get a equal reward in paradise as men.

“Whoever works righteousness — whether male or female — while he (or she) is a true believer (of Islamic Monotheism) verily, to him We will give a good life (in this world with respect, contentment and lawful provision), and We shall pay them certainly a reward in proportion to the best of what they used to do (i.e. Paradise in the Hereafter)” [al-Nahl 16:97]

If any do deeds of righteousness, be they male or female, and have faith, they will enter heaven, and not the least injustice will be done to them. Verse 124, Surat an-Nisa

Whoever works righteousness, man or woman, and has faith, verily, to him will we give a life that is good and pure, and we will bestow on such their reward according to the best of actions.), Verse 97, Surat an-Nahl,

He that makes evil will not be requited but by the like thereof; and he that makes a righteous deed – whether man or woman – And is a believer – Such will enter the garden (of bliss): therein will they have abundance without measure.), Verse 40, Surat al-Mumin, or the believer.

The reward may not be the same but it will be equal and great

Allah knows best

BlaznFattyz said:
would it be a contradiction to be allowed four wives, and virgins in heaven for men, yet a simple handshake is not allowed? it seems a little sided for the benefit of men who make the rules. as it has been seen in this thread, depending on who interprets or has power to enforce these rules, some may shake hands and some may not. maybe someone can help explain this?
As Yaqinud Din said, God makes the rules. As far as helping to explain this so-called differing interpretation, I said clearly that i was working on having a closer look at the article posted which said that one could shake hands. I have not completed this yet but it seems the author of the article, Yusuf al- Qaradaawi has been quoting weak ahadith to make his case. I ask you to be patient for a little while longer so that it becomes clear to you and everyone else as well that there are no two opinions invovled.

yusuf al-qaradaawi, is it?

well, frankly, considering he thinks it permissible to engage in suicide bombings (although only against people who deserve it, ie jews and americans, naturally) and throw homosexuals off cliffs, i would treat anything he says with extreme caution, his friendship with that loathsome oik the mayor of london notwithstanding.

i personally think the "no touching" rule (it's the same in our religion, although i am not, ah, terribly careful about it myself, which i admit) is actually a question of degree. would i be happy if someone else kissed my wife on the mouth? not at all. would i object to someone kissing her on the cheek, without the same intent? not really, yet they are both kisses, a mouth is touching another body. would i object to someone touching her mouth? probably, yes. but would i object to someone touching her hand? not really. if i am honest, however, i think the question is really one of degree, the same as covering one's hair. i wouldn't walk around with my bum showing and some people feel the same way about other parts of their body. if someone wishes to show their devotion to one other person by restricting their touching or gaze to that person alone, that's OK by me and i think it should be respected. it's about how far away you place the "fence" from the thing you are actually concerned about.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Back