God, gender and women's place in abrahamic religions

BananaBrain, sorry if I offended you by lumping judaism with christianity and islam. I have been raised christian and don't know nearly as much as I'd like to about other religions, which is why I'm so grateful to have found this site. Thank-you for your jewish POV.

Peace to all....i know this post may be out of topic but i feel there's a need to rectify and clear the mess

There is no lack of understanding. In the west we are born free and are not indoctrinated from birth. Thus we can see Islam a good step back from where you can.
No lack of understanding you assume?!.... and yet you have the guts to say that Islam is a "good step back"?!? if you were really to have that "understanding" notion, i don't think you might have said something like that... I got 6 words for you "Talk the Talk, Walk the Walk"....And dont give me that "in the west we are born free and not indoctrinated..." expression...Did you mean indoctrinated as in religious and moral values?! I don't think most westerners will agree with you. I'am very sure most western family still stress on religous and good moral values at a young age. And don't tell me you're not one of them. And i believe religious ceremony welcoming newborns are still practiced there. Here in the east we are pretty much the same. Indoctrined?!..yes,absolutely. We are indoctrinated to realize the dangers of the false belief, materialism especially. Don't let the things you see on tele be your basis to judge the status of our newborn. It is oftenly exaggerated.

The difference between a nun and a muslim woman is that the nun makes that choice of her own free will. The society in which she lives will not shun, beat, abuse or even murder her if she choses another path. I come from the UK, the city of Edinburgh with a large ethnic muslim population. The way the men behave is very different to the way the women behave. You might state that its equal but in practice, IN REALITY, it is anything but. I have also travelled widely, to Morrocco, Tunisia, Egypt, India and Pakistan. I do not hold my views from lack of understanding and to me it is not possible to accept any statement that muslim woman enjoy equality in any sense of the word. And thats the case in my own country and every other I have visited. You ask me to re-read what you post, I dont have to. Reading it once I can already see it follows the same pattern of rational perseuasion that any Islamic, or for that matter any religeous evangelism, attempts to use. And like all the others when you start looking at the points one by one and compare them with reality it crumbles into dust.

Do you think most Muslim women wear the hijab not because by their own will but because they are forced to... Or maybe you forgot to consider that in some places in this world it's already been a culture for the women to wear the hijab just like the western women wore whatever they wear everyday. How ignorant could you be? Do you know that the women of some part in this world has been wearing the traditional hijab dress for thousands of years long before the Scotssman wear skirts :p .... Have you ever considered that fact before?
You speak as if there is a "Do as told or die" attitude in Islam. You are saying that all the explanation by Dr.Zakir Naik is a rational persuasion...Yes it is a persuasion as in a positive advice but never he mentioned enforcement of the wearing of Hijab. There is no law in Islam that permits anybody to punish any Muslim women who doesn't wear Hijab. The least anyone can do is to give advice. That's it...simple as that. And don't take the Taliban or any extremist group as manifestation of Islam. Again i think you should consider re-reading...this time with good intentions and rational judgement.

There I go again? I have not the right to challenge what I see to be 'fallacious'??? Many many a muslim would openly call me an infidel and worthy only of execution because I am neither muslim nor of any of the Abrahamic sects, not a Dhimmi but a lowly Kafir. Dhimmi itself is a gross discrimination, Kafir is fascist. I dislike Islam for what reason do you think?

Never i say u don't have the right to challenge, u do have that right and everybody does, but not in a misleading manner, making wild accusations, baseless conjecture, as in "painting with a broad brush", as in Fallacious.
No law in Islam that says a Muslim can Kill a Kafir with no reason. In a hadith Qudsi God said:"whoever hurts a kafir(Dhimmi), then i will be his enemy on the day of judgement".
Dhimmis are "protected people" who lives in an Islamic state and who does not wage war(in any sense) against the Muslims. A Harbi is the type of Kafir who Muslims must fight for they wage war against Muslims.The term dhimmi is neither discrimination nor fascism like what you think....but it is more to a recognition to these group of people that they are peace lovers and they want nothing more but to live in peace side by side with the Muslims, though they practice different faiths. 30% of my country's population are Dhimmis, and they never had any problems with that name. Thanx to God we live in peace since the day we live together and no serious clashes happened since 1969 (which is more to racism not religious). As for you, what do you know about all this?...Making vague self assumptions i presume.
Much of what muslims are to be found quoting are not even from the Koran but interpretations, Hadiths, of meaning made sometimes 4-500 years after the death of Muhamad. The Koran itself springs from a single text written long after his death. The leader who sanctioned this to be the 'official' Koran sent his people out to destroy any conflicting versions of what Muhamad has supposed to have said. Nowhere in any of the history regarding the sources of the Koran do I see anything but the development of a political tool to subdue free will in the population.

Maybe you need to read the fact of how the Holy Quran was recorded.The Quran was recorded during the life of Prophet Muhammad Peace Be Upon Him...not after his death. In the early years of Islam it was recorded on goat skin, bones, leaves and any types of media at that time.The Quran was revealed to Prophet Muhammad PBUH in 22 years,2 months and 22 days. The first Quran in the form of a book was produced after the Prophets' death. The Quran didn't spring out from a single text after Muhammad's death like what you said above.You misunderstood why the "leader" you mentioned above who is the 3rd caliph, Usman ibn Affan, destroyed the "conflicting" QUrans. When Islam has broaden its' wing up to Azerbaijan, there was a major problem in reading the Quran in terms of pronounciation.This is due to their weakness in mastering the Arabic written text. The locals have re-written the Quran to suit their local tongue and dialects.This indirectly could have changed the meaning of some words thus altering the message. To prevent this situation from worsening, Caliph Usman ordered his men to come up with an enhancement to the Arabic writings so that there will be a standard way of pronouncing each and every word in th Quran.They came up with the "diacriticals" which is an enhancement to the Arabic text in the Quran so that any reader can read the Quran with a standard pronounciation. The diacriticals enhancements are made to suit the dialects of the Quraisy Arab Tribe which is the tribe of Prophet Muhammad's family. So when i read one verse from the Quran that i have today, i would be reading and pronouncing it just the same as how Prophet Muhammad PBUH have uttered it 1400 years ago. When the first copy of the Quran with diacriticals has completed, it was sent to all major cities under the Muslims rule at that time. So any copies of Quran which has been re-written according to local dialects are ordered to be burned.

Another note (and FYI) is that Muslims have a thing about destroying old Qurans… Out of respect to the text and if for any reason they need to get rid of a copy of the Quran (cuz it’s torn, worn out, whatever), they don’t just through it in trash… They usually burn it or dig into the earth and bury it or so… - Taken from Iyad's post

So there was never an "official" or "conflicting" Quran like what you think.
Go to this thread "The First Quran" you can get more info---> http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3933&page=1&pp=15
Your knowledge is only partial on the history of Quran and you're making curtailed statements affixed with false gesture. Why? I'am not saying that my knowledge is better than yours but at least i don't make statements about sumthing which i don't know and blemish the image of other religions...That is quite indecent don't you think?

Islam does not separate politics and religeon and this is a fundamental point. Islam is a political tool, very similair to what the catholic church employed in Europe for so long. Islam is a regression to the dark ages in my opinion and until such times that it rids itself of its many discriminatory and fascist ideas I will continue to call it what it is. If that offends you then perhaps you should take a look at the history of religeous wars in Europe and understand that we europeans have been there, seen it , done it and rejected it. The religeons have been removed from politics and deal now with what they should- faith, hope and charity.

As i told earlier,Islam is a way of life, not just a religion. It has guidlines to every essential aspects of human sociology; marriage,family ties,business & trading,law, including politic. If one was a Muslim he/she is very much encouraged to practice what Islam has thought. I admit that some group of Muslims did use it as a political tool for their own personal benefit. As a Muslim I totally disagree on it. Things like this also happens in my country and any other part of this world...not only among Muslims.Islam as a religion and a way of life is not to be put on trial here but the one who should be is the greedy, oppressive, tyrant leaders themselves as an individual.

You speak about the bad side of what the catholic church had done to Europe but do you know that Christianity has brought light to the Europeans. Before Christianity, Europe was savaged by barbarians and pagan beliefs which most likely resort to violence in anything. Women are treated not more than sex objects. It's only sometime in the middle ages that the churches started to act like an "overpowering" mother. But when we see the big picture, Christianity brought more Good than bad to Europe. Without Christianity Europe wouldn't like what it is today.
Christianity is not to be blame for all the religious war occured in Europe but in my opinion it is the devilish heart in the leaders of that time who fire it up.

In your opinion Islam is a regression from the dark ages. But history didn't have any proove of that. During the reign of the 2nd Caliph, Umar al-Khattab, The Persians and Byzantine was overpowered. At that time Islam was not even half a century old. The Muslims also pionered many fields of studies; astronomy,anthropology,chemistry,maths etc etc...names like Ibn Sina(avicennia), Mimar Sinan, Al-khwarizmi, Ullubegh are some of the well known. With all these well-known facts... tell me how did you get to conclude that Islam was a regression from the dark ages? Maybe you have a lot of "unknown" facts hidden from 1.2 Billion Muslims today...please share with us.
And if you think I discriminate against Islam you are wrong I will stand up and attempt to be heard wherever I see discrimination, bigotry, fascism or any of their brothers. My God is not a book it is LIFE itself. When Islam recognises that we are all created equal and die equal and stops trying to pretend it's the word of God then I will have no issue with it. Islam does not tolerate criticism, your 'enlightened' brothers issue fatwahs on those who speak out against it. As long as they behave this way there will be no end to western views.

What is this labelling all about. Have i offend or question your faith in my previous post. Have i associate your faith, whatever your faith is with facism, bigotry and everything you mentioned above. Let me ask you...if someone criticise the fundamentals of your faith what would you do? do you just keep quiet and do nothing? You defend your stance isn't it. why?...because it is your right to defend and it is the right thing to do. That is what my enlightened brothers are doing. They are doing the right thing for their beloved religions' sake. Don't tell me you're not going to defend your "LIFE" whatever it is that you meant, if someone calls it a facism,bigotary, discrimination or any other of its' brothers.

Peace

Peace to all...

Originally posted by Tao
There is nothing Blind in what I say, nor is it hateful. And nor is it opportunist. The young lady that started this thread was after some answers and you have done nothing more than use it as a platform to promote muslim dogma. As is so often the case when challenged by valid unbiased opinions of a rational non-secular viewpoint there is this resort to name calling. You think the only rational viewpoint is your own. Well its not and your attempts to dismiss it as such shows precisely the regard that many of your faith have for the opinions of free thinkers. I do not hate Islam as a faith but I do despise it as the political tool it has, in so many respects, become. If you dont see that as a rational opinion then, my human brother, you have no respect for me.

The lady asked a question, i helped her to answer it based on my knowledge in my monotheistic religion which is Islam. Without any intention to promote my religion, I paste some chapters from a book which is very much relevant to the main question in this thread. Then you came in and start attacking, making wild accusations, labelling Islam with facism, making false gesture, giving curtailed facts which may impair my religions' image among viewers, calling names etc etc...
Dear Tao, with all respect i want to ask you, what have you contributed to answer the lady's question?
Now who's promoting dogmas or to be more precise propagandas.

Peace

Peace to silverbackman,

I don't see the wrong in using Islam as an ethical system for the family but it sounds so primitive when muslims claim that
God commanded them to do so.

I know what you're trying to express here. The the point of being a Muslim is to live abiding Gods' law and order.The Quran showed Muslims the guidelines for Muslims to build upon a "Sakinah" family. It sounds like Muslims are living in the medieval ages when they said "God command them to do so" i used to have the same notion even though i'am a Muslim...In the early ages of Islam the Quran is the main source for Islamic ethical and social law (the hadiths is the second main source)...and it is still now. Because God have stated in the Quran that this book (Quran) will never be obsolete in any age till the day of judgement. The Islamic law in differnt Muslims country may differ in practicality but it stands on one same foundation build upon a common source, The Quran and Hadiths. A true Muslim holds on to the words of God and His Messenger as a whole not
partial.

I believe in order for a family to function there needs to be a strong leader figure such as the man of the house. The biggest reason why families in the West have such high divorce rates is because there is no order. It is a man's natural right to be leader of the house, anyone that has studied anthropology would know this. It doesn't mean men can abuse their wives, or hit them in fact I think the man should value his wife's opinion as much has his own but there in order to have a stable family men must be leaders and wives may have to submit every now and then. It doesn't mean a woman shouldn't have the right to vote or anything like that. A woman should have the right to participate and vote in government but in the family the man should be the leader of the house.

Exactly...That's what stated in the Quran.I would like to paste some verses from the Quran but time is not on my side right now. But then again i fear that some viewers might mistake me as promoting Islam and start attacking.
You don't need a God do tell you that. Many women know this by default. This is why their can't be any laws regarding what a
woman should do because if it is in her nature to submit she will. If not she won't. At the same time there shouldn't be so much propaganda spewing showing that women should go out and have a career or the opposite.

You are right....but we still need guidance on how to do it the right way. Everybody knows how to eat, but not everyone knows how to control their diet, stay healthy and fit. All of us need a guide to all the thigs that we do. A husband knows by default that he is the leader of the house. But does he knows how to be a good leader if there was no role model or a set of guidelines to follow. He still has to learn how to do it. He may do it any way he like, but the thing that matters here is the end result. The same applies to a wife, son, daughter, neighbour etcetc....

Anyways my point is that abrahamic religions force people to do the right thing but in the end it is up to us to the right
thing. What is really sad is that Islam as an theorcracy may rise soon and freedom may seize to exists. Islam is a religion
but as it rises it is turning into a political ideology. This is not good.

I realize the widespread of islamophobia among westerners and non-muslims nowadays. It saddened me very much to hear that more and more misconception on my religion is blarred on the media. But at the same time more and more people especially women are drawn to know more about my religion despite of its' tarnished image in the media around the globe. It is the era of Islam to be humiliate with all the labels like terrorism, women discrimination, facist and so on....but it also marks the beginning era where the real image of Islam will rise once more, prevail itself to live peacefully side by side with others...and i see my role in this as to spread the true message of Islam in the kindest way and defend attacks in any sense targetted on it...

Peace

ps: my last few post is kinda out of topic, i apologise for any discomfort in any form among viewers

To Nahiz,

...you have the guts to say that Islam is "a good step back"

I did not say that....I said "thus we can see Islam a good step back from where you can", i.e. we can see it from the outside looking in.

I am not willing to get into any further point by point argument with you on this issue as I believe I have stated my case quite clearly enough. I would however state I believe you to be misguided in thinking that.....
It also marks the beginning era when real Islam will rise once more, prevail itself to live peacefully side by side with others

Tell this message to the christians of Sudan who suffer genocide, to the people of Algeria, to the victims of the twin towers, or the bombs in Turkey, Jordan, Spain, India, Kenya, Bali the UK and more. Tell this to the people of Israel who have a large muslim nation, Iran, calling for it to be wiped off the face of the planet. Tell this to the souls of the poor girls in this country who become the murdered victims of barbaric "honor killings".

We are not in a new age of peaceful Islam. It gets ever more extreme and barbaric. The cause of that is as I have spelled out in past posts. It is a supremacist religeon that seeks world domination and so will always be under attack. Or more likely counter-attack.

....and defend attacks in any sense targetted on it..

QED

For your information I know several ex-muslim women who have escaped the clutches of their families and are living happy, free lives now. I have never yet met a western women go over to Islam and they are a rarity. I see a never ending stream of muslim men fawning over western women however.

Regards

TE

Only a small number of Muslims seek world domination, and there are quite a number of Western women embracing Islam, for different reasons.

mansio said:
Only a small number of Muslims seek world domination, and there are quite a number of Western women embracing Islam, for different reasons.

Perhaps, but I hear few voices from this large number of peaceful muslims you say there is. Why is this?

Tao_Equus said:
Perhaps, but I hear few voices from this large number of peaceful muslims you say there is. Why is this?

Perhaps because they make lousy news. Peaceful people who are quiet and unassuming do not make the headlines. Loud people who make things that go boom and kill people, or threaten to make the headlines.

It's rather interesting to watch the news from different sources and see what gets reported as well - I tend to look at stories from around the world on the same topic, and on many of them, you may not think it's even the same event - as a short example, the current "internet control" story - US stories seem to be taking it as "we keep control", while international stories note a demand for more internationalization of the situation, and progress being made in that direction.

It is true that there is some doublethink among the Muslim masses. The great majority of them is peaceful, but as they belong to a religion that has been on the losers' side for the last centuries (when is God going to give them a victory at last ?), they tend to be secretly flattered by seeing the West getting a few punches.

Brucegdc 'Perhaps because they make lousy news'.

This is very true. After the London bombs I think the 'establishment' feared a severe anti-muslim backlash and so most of our TV news programs sought out those muslims willing to condem the bombings. But in interviews carried out on the street amongst the young male muslim population there was this "we condem it but the west had it coming". Of course I realise that the vast majority of muslims are loving human beings no different to you or I in terms of their live in peace attitudes. But the supremacist bent of Islam lends itself to radicalising the angry young men. Until peaceful muslims remove the inflamitory parts of the Koran I can only see the problems getting worse.

mansio said:
It is true that there is some doublethink among the Muslim masses. The great majority of them is peaceful, but as they belong to a religion that has been on the losers' side for the last centuries (when is God going to give them a victory at last ?), they tend to be secretly flattered by seeing the West getting a few punches.

But its not the west that gets it, with the exception of the pentagon, its entirely innocent people going about their daily business. Its innocent people of all faiths, all ages that are the targets. And there is nothing secret about the joy it brings swathes of moslems, especialy the young men who grin all over their faces at the slaughter of innocents. Terrorism only in the very rarest exception does anything to harm the establishment. So what victory is there? No my freind, all that the radical terrorist does is make enemys of Islam and gives greater power and more support to the 'capatalist enemy'.

Regards

TE

Silverbackman's view point is exactly the type of opinion which I am familiar with, that I have encountered in Christianity. I suspect such a point of view underlies not just Christianity or even Abrahamic religions but in most 'traditional' schools of thought which are reflected by religions that were formed in a time when women were oppressed. It seems to me that these religions promote the oppression of women by giving men the right to be the head of the household and that a good wife / women should be submissive!
Someone else started a similar thread dealing with the same issues (though worded much better than I could) in the Comparative Studies forum, as they pointed out women are not allowed to hold the highest ranks in most religions. Not only are we expected to be submissive to the male heads of the household but also to the male heads of our religion.

I fear I will never be comfortable in any such a religious organization and certainly not in a traditional submissive role as a wife. I have always believed in a higher power and will continue to do so. While God made men and women different physiologically, I do not believe our souls share these shallow physical attributes. I do not believe a loving God would have any human be submissive to another.

As for what any of the religious texts say - well, they contradict themselves constantly and afterall they were written not just by mere mortals but by MEN. I believe any truly spiritual person can know God within their own heart, you don't need a book or a man to tell you about that.

Once again, thanks for everyone's input. As I said before I'm sorry if I offended anyone it was never my intention, just trying to find my path. Everyone here is certainly a wealth of information which helps immensely.

Dear all and Inquisitive at Halifax,
I think Inquisitive's final post to this thread was really quite temperate given many of the other posts!!!

Just a few points.

I belong to a denomination called The Uniting Church in Australia. It has had one woman president and at least 50% of new candidates for ministry are women. The leadership of the church at the local level tends to be dominated by women, but those in ministry are still mostly men.

I can not say I blame Inquisitive for rejecting the Abrahamic faiths on the grounds of sexism but I do want to make a controversial suggestion in response to her point about the texts and finding God for oneself.

It's this: I do not think that it is an accident that it is in countries with a Christian heritage where women have acheived a greater level of social, political, and even religious equality.

This is I believe because of the reasons I geve in my first post to this thread. Our founder - Jesus treated women as what they were, fellow human beings. Paul despite his sexist comments in a couple of places also said that in Christ there was no male and female.

It is this last principle which I think has led to change in the West.

I could be wrong!!! But it seems to me that even most (though not all) of the Greek phiosophers were sexist too, so equality does not seem to have come from that quarter.

This is probably far fetched, but just perhaps the New Testament is the greatest feminist texts of Western culture. Though as Inquisitive points out it is certainly also dominantly masculine.

If my hypothesis is correct then it was not people finding God for themselves without a text which has given women this measure of equality - it was through people who discovered God through the text of the Bible.

Anyway, Inquisitive, I'm astounded that you have been so restrained in response to all of us (mostly males) who responded to your original post. Thank-you for your graciousness.

Blessings
Andrew

OzAndy said:
Dear all and Inquisitive at Halifax,
I think Inquisitive's final post to this thread was really quite temperate given many of the other posts!!!

Did anybody welcome you? If not Welcome to CR..

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Did anybody welcome you? If not Welcome to CR..

v/r

Q

Yes way back when I first joined. I tend to read and reflect only responding sporadically, so I only pop up from time to time which probably makes me hard to remember. Thank-you for asking in any case.:)

Blessings
Andrew

We were touching on this topic regarding agression as well...

Somehow, I just think along with some of the maternal instincts in general women may deep down have something better to do...

Beat me up for being sexist, if it comes off that way, but I don't think I am, nor am I expressing same but I am open to learning how others percieve my thought...

Andy says 50% of those that study are women yet the vast majority in ministry are men... I see the figurehead as a man...but when it comes to the true ministry, the compassion, the prayer groups, those providing food and spiritual sustenance...largely women. Now this really sounds totally sexist, that women belong in the kitchen, and the nursery, and the prayer group, and in decorating, and flowers, and cleanup....but they gravitate to it...and maybe they do more there for the congregation, for the community at large then the preacher does from the pulpit!

Of the people I know that stick with piano lessons I'd say 80-90% are women...of the famous piano players that I know I'd say that 80-90% are men. Of the families that I know, that gather around the piano and sing together...the pianist who leads is Mom... I think men need the ego gratification of being in the public eye...and women again gravitate to a place where they can provide a connection to humanity.

Are these sexist notions, biased observations, warped anecdotes. Or do women find ways of doing what they do 'behind the scenes' not seeking the recognition, yet being there for every scraped knee, every bruised ego, providing an ear to listen and a shoulder to cry on? All stuff men (another generalization) are notoriously weak on...

There are inherent differences between men and women...praise G-d!

Genesis 1:27 reads, "God created humans in his image. In the image of God he created them. Male and female he created them."

Logically, then, God has to be male and female, since that's the way "he" created humans--in his image.

Theologically, tho, God cannot be either male or female, since God is spirit, and male and female are biological distinctions. God has no biology.

If "God created humans in his image. In the image of God he created them" is wrong, then why do you quote it? To show that the Bible can have mistakes in it?

mansio said:
If "God created humans in his image. In the image of God he created them" is wrong, then why do you quote it? To show that the Bible can have mistakes in it?
Namaste Mansio, what is your opinion/interpretation of this? They are both included in the bible, both statements of the bible. Surely there shouldn't be anything wrong with quoting or discussing contradictary statements included...

I feel, even though I can't read the hebrew or greek and the various definitions and possible iterations of the words contained in the translation, 'In his image' I don't see G-d as male, nor looking like a male or female human. I think G-d gave us traits and characteristics of his, so we could be 'his' expression on earth.

wil said:
We were touching on this topic regarding agression as well...

Somehow, I just think along with some of the maternal instincts in general women may deep down have something better to do...

Beat me up for being sexist, if it comes off that way, but I don't think I am, nor am I expressing same but I am open to learning how others percieve my thought...

Andy says 50% of those that study are women yet the vast majority in ministry are men... I see the figurehead as a man...but when it comes to the true ministry, the compassion, the prayer groups, those providing food and spiritual sustenance...largely women. Now this really sounds totally sexist, that women belong in the kitchen, and the nursery, and the prayer group, and in decorating, and flowers, and cleanup....but they gravitate to it...and maybe they do more there for the congregation, for the community at large then the preacher does from the pulpit!

Of the people I know that stick with piano lessons I'd say 80-90% are women...of the famous piano players that I know I'd say that 80-90% are men. Of the families that I know, that gather around the piano and sing together...the pianist who leads is Mom... I think men need the ego gratification of being in the public eye...and women again gravitate to a place where they can provide a connection to humanity.

Are these sexist notions, biased observations, warped anecdotes. Or do women find ways of doing what they do 'behind the scenes' not seeking the recognition, yet being there for every scraped knee, every bruised ego, providing an ear to listen and a shoulder to cry on? All stuff men (another generalization) are notoriously weak on...

There are inherent differences between men and women...praise G-d!

You're making some interesting points here Wil. This is kind of a dicey topic, though.:)

I tend to think that women have perfected the supporting role because for a long time that's the only role they had. On the other hand I would say that one of the genuine differences between men and women, from my observation at least, is that women are more digital and men more analog. Women are superior organizers but seem to often have trouble improvising. They don't seem to know when to break the rules.

Chris

China Cat Sunflower said:
You're making some interesting points here Wil. This is kind of a dicey topic, though.:)

I tend to think that women have perfected the supporting role because for a long time that's the only role they had. On the other hand I would say that one of the genuine differences between men and women, from my observation at least, is that women are more digital and men more analog. Women are superior organizers but seem to often have trouble improvising. They don't seem to know when to break the rules.

Chris

Interesting thinking. But some do need the lime light so to speak, and all know how to break rules. most simply choose not to. Women also have (for the most part), the social support group concept perfected, where as men definitely do not. As far as improvising goes...I don't think you've ever seen a mom stretch 100 dollars to feed a family of Seven, for two weeks...(for example) :D

Back