liberal vs. literal Christian

Bandit said:
death burial & resurrection of the Lord Jesus-once again is the foundation. if you remove that then you are into a different religion.

Hi Bandit, for the record I happen to agree that the resurrection of Christ is a foundational Christian belief. But, I also happen to think that the diety of Christ is a foundational Christian belief and I have never been able to figure out if you believe the same. I don't mean to debate with you, and you don't need to answer here if you don't wish, but it goes to illustrate that Christians do hold different beliefs and yet remain Christian.

But I have long been curious about something. Why do you always refer to the death, burial and resurrection as the foundation. Why is burial important? Are you referring to the idea that Christ descended to death in order to conquer it? If you are willing to explain I've always wondered what you mean.

peace,
lunamoth

Bandit said:
i am not going through all the threads of how you refer to christian beliefs in the past.
Come on now, as I indicated I answered your questions, tongue and cheek as they were. You've made what is currently an empty unsubstantiated accusation and are intending on just leaving it on the table? I thought better of you. You've indicated I am a consistent Christian basher (being the blasphemous, heretical follower of Christ that I am)....Please pick 3 of those many alleged abuses to charge me with.
Bandit said:
Jesus declared that he spoke in parables & snippets because people are dull of hearing & their hearts are waxed gross. he spoke to the disciples in depth & in private & not to the public in depth. he knew it would be waste of time speaking to the public at that time because they did not believe on him. Jesus said it- not me.
I'd like you to help me with this, I thought he refered to 'those with ears may hear' ie the parables were designed for those thinking above the average man. sort of like wake up, this is a story, yet deep and important. Sure would've have been nice if those deciiples to which he spoke to in depth had the forethought to take notes...instead of leaving it all to distant memories....

lunamoth said:
Hi Bandit, for the record I happen to agree that the resurrection of Christ is a foundational Christian belief. But, I also happen to think that the diety of Christ is a foundational Christian belief and I have never been able to figure out if you believe the same. I don't mean to debate with you, and you don't need to answer here if you don't wish, but it goes to illustrate that Christians do hold different beliefs and yet remain Christian.

But I have long been curious about something. Why do you always refer to the death, burial and resurrection as the foundation. Why is burial important? Are you referring to the idea that Christ descended to death in order to conquer it? If you are willing to explain I've always wondered what you mean.

peace,
lunamoth

because Jesus said he would be buried & Paul declared the death, burial & resurrection is the Gospel. the death burial & resurrection is mentioned in many many places. the burial has just as much paradox & meanings as his death & reusurrection. i do not leave his burial out for Jesus predicted he would be buried & things happened during that time.

In 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, Paul is reminding the church at Corinth about the gospel when he says, "Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, and in which you stand; by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received; that Christdied for our sins according to the scriptures, and that He wasburied, and that Herose again the third day according to the scriptures."

i do not believe God turned into a man or God came through the womb & no i dont believe in the trinity or any godman doctrines. that is dogma that i do not see required to be a Christian.
-but do you see me make issues out of it?
no i do not.

yes i do believe that Jesus is in the Godhead & that Jesus is the fulness of the Godhead bodily & the mediator between God & man, because the bible says so. i do not remove Jesus from the eternal Godhead...i just see it from a different POV & eternal has more than one definition that can also have a starting point as in THE BEGINNING... & move forward. God does not have a beginning. there is an extra gear & cavern travelled to see what i see with Jesus so i dont discuss what i believe concerning this in public.
we can discuss it in private or one on one someday if you want.:)

i did not know you can discard the Gospel of the death, burial & resurrection of Jesus & still be a Christian. that sounds like a different religion, like Islam or Judaism or Hinduism.
his death burial & resurrection seems pretty black & white, Jesus himself being the chief cornerstone. but i suppose that does not matter either.

Just as a general note, it would be great if we focused less on different personal stances, and tried to address more the issue of "liberal vs literal Christian" as a meaningful distinction. :)

wil said:
Come on now, as I indicated I answered your questions, tongue and cheek as they were. You've made what is currently an empty unsubstantiated accusation and are intending on just leaving it on the table? I thought better of you. You've indicated I am a consistent Christian basher (being the blasphemous, heretical follower of Christ that I am)....Please pick 3 of those many alleged abuses to charge me with. I'd like you to help me with this, I thought he refered to 'those with ears may hear' ie the parables were designed for those thinking above the average man. sort of like wake up, this is a story, yet deep and important. Sure would've have been nice if those deciiples to which he spoke to in depth had the forethought to take notes...instead of leaving it all to distant memories....

wil, i am not going to make issues out of all your postings. i am not spending the day going through all your old postings just to create an argument to satisfy you.
we already went through this last year & you said you do not know how to word your beliefs & make them come across. i DONT KNOW where all your postings are & i aint looking them up but if i come across them i will certainly bring them to your attention you then.

read the bible. Jesus told why he talked in parables to the public. the parables were not explained to the public. he explained them in private with the apostles.
they are like baby talk with many literal hidden meanings that people do not get.

all the disciples did was write down what Jesus taught them, parables & all. read Matt 13 again. there is a LITERAL meaning behind the parables.
you & i are most likely not going to see eye to eye on this...so believe what you want to believe.:)

I said:
Just as a general note, it would be great if we focused less on different personal stances, and tried to address more the issue of "liberal vs literal Christian" as a meaningful distinction. :)

here you go - use this for a guideline. i doubt people can even agree on these definitons. i see myself fitting both categories.

Liberal
broad: showing or characterized by broad-mindedness; "a broad political stance"; "generous and broad sympathies"; "a liberal newspaper"; "tolerant of his opponent's opinions"
having political or social views favoring reform and progress
tolerant of change; not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or tradition
a person who favors a political philosophy of progress and reform and the protection of civil liberties
free: not literal; "a loose interpretation of what she had been told"; "a free translation of the poem"

Literal
actual: being or reflecting the essential or genuine character of something; "her actual motive"; "a literal solitude like a desert"- G.K.Chesterton; "a genuine dilemma"
without interpretation or embellishment; "a literal depiction of the scene before him"
limited to the explicit meaning of a word or text; "a literal translation"
avoiding embellishment or exaggeration (used for emphasis); "it's the literal truth"

Bandit said:
wil, i am not going to make issues out of all your postings. i am not spending the day going through all your old postings just to create an argument to satisfy you.
Namaste Bandit, again I'd either like you to retract your accusation or find three out of the many places I blast Christians for their beliefs. but I'll not hold my breath.
Bandit said:
all the disciples did was write down what Jesus taught them, parables & all. read Matt 13 again. there is a LITERAL meaning behind the parables.
you & i are most likely not going to see eye to eye on this...so believe what you want to believe.:)
tis true we'll probably not agree, 'all the disciples wrote it down, yet very few wrote very much that we have today and what their is was written what 40 years after Jesus's death, written from memory and verbal history spanned Jesus's whole life, portions where the author was obviously not in attendance..yet very liberal with the quotes...nice to be a member of 'the club' and be able to have control of the secrets....especially when no one is around to dispute the writings.

The above to me are historical facts, but they do not diminish the value of the writings, simply increase the knowledge of what it is we are looking at...

wil said:
Namaste Bandit, again I'd either like you to retract your accusation or find three out of the many places I blast Christians for their beliefs. but I'll not hold my breath.tis true we'll probably not agree, 'all the disciples wrote it down, yet very few wrote very much that we have today and what their is was written what 40 years after Jesus's death, written from memory and verbal history spanned Jesus's whole life, portions where the author was obviously not in attendance..yet very liberal with the quotes...nice to be a member of 'the club' and be able to have control of the secrets....especially when no one is around to dispute the writings.

The above to me are historical facts, but they do not diminish the value of the writings, simply increase the knowledge of what it is we are looking at...

you dont know that. no one even knows for sure or can prove any of what you just said.

you have issues that go & go & go with Christianity AND the bible. the history, the authors, the religions, the secrets, disputing the writings, control & blah blah blah... you know you can always write your own book & make your own bible if you dont like the one that was put together by the catholics. i am not retracting nothing.

how many books do you need to figure it out? how many writings does it take? you can read 10 biliion books written about Jesus & until it gets into your heart it means nothing.

this thread is wasting my time. i have not learned a single thing here today.

I said:

You're right Brian and I apologize. I think I got us off track by asking about personal stances. Thirty lashes and all that...

lunamoth

wil said:
Sadly today I also learned MagnetMan has been banished from the forums. 30 years ago he was in trouble in South Africa for speaking out against the grain of what was apartheid....and now today he received from this forum..
<Snip>

Yes, Magnetman is no longer welcome here - because his behavior contravened the code of conduct, in particular by threatening other members here and by personal attacks. Might I suggest that ALL posters, especially in this thread, re-read the code of conduct? Personal attacks are not welcome here. Brian pointed that out a while back in his subtle British manner. Being a brash Yank (albeit a transplanted Canuck), I'll be slightly more blunt. Knock off the personal attacks, folks.

... Bruce

Hi Wil -

I don't know if the terms are correct. It is apparent that I am deemed a liberal Christian if not heretical, blasphemous one by many.

OK

But I think, and I am biased that my view of Christianity is often times has more personal requirements than most.

Not sure what you mean here?

We have discussed the Jeffersonian Gospels and the omition of virgin birth, resurection, diety of Jesus, etc...

I can accept that and have it not hurt my belief system or biblical thought at all. Even if it was proved, shown due to historical/archeological evidence that 95% of the biblical historical data were wrong, misinterpretted or even made up....wouldn't affect that I see value in the words that are attributed to Jesus.

It would effect the way we think about the person ... for example, Christ said "I will build this temple..." and we associate that with the Resurrection. If, however, the Resurrection was 'disproved' - then his statement becomes meaningless. If 95% of the data were wrong, then what is there left, but sophistry and lies?

For the Christian believes in the Person of Christ, or rather the Act as well as the Word. It's the actions of Christ that carry the weight, as it is how and who we are as people that carry the spiritual charisms - not what we say, but what we do ... "this people honours me with their lips, but their hearts ... " (Matthew 15:8)

And I think this is why you face accusation. Discard Christ's actions, then his words are words to be numbered among other words, and as many will point out, many have said much the same thing ... the further you pursue this line, the more 'immaterial' Christ becomes ... and once you disassociate the words from the man, then you can interpret the words any way you like.

It is said often that you can't pick and choose which scripture to accept and which to interpret metaphysically rather than historically.... but it seems even the literalists do.

I agree. Fundamentalist Christians seem steeped in the vengence of the Old Testmant and ignore the message of Christ almost entirely. There are extremes of every degree. 'Born again' seem to think they'be been issued with a one-way ticket beforehand ... that's human nature ... in my Hermeticist days, I remember 'the man' observing 'these people drive like they've already made it' (I was driving a '68 5.3lt V8 Plymouth Baracuda at the time - and eventually blew up the gearbox doing standing starts)

Again I think of all the wars that Christians have fought in, all the atrocities that have been committed by churches and Christians (I'm not singling us out, we are not alone, but we do supposedly believe in the new
testament).

I would provisionally agree. Christ's words and actions speak of a completely different social order, which too few aspire to - it's simply too revolutionary. Provisionally only in the sense that every ill in history seems to be the fault of Christianity, as if there was nothing else to human nature but man's belief. Also, a fair amount of propaganda - The Crusades, The Inquistition and the Burning of Witches are a case in point, but this is stuff for another discussion.

And then I think of love your enemy, offer him your coat, judge not less ye, love your neighbor....all these have to be disregarded in order to pick up arms against someone. Sure you can find other texts, if you don't have sword sell your belongings and get one...but again...in my view anytime I see a hateful G-d, or vengeful Jesus...tis time to look at the scripture metaphysically and divine the good and love out of the works...

Agreed.

I think don't commit adultery means don't dilute your principles...and not committing murder includes murdering enthusiasm and creativity...in a lot of ways I read the bible to hold me to a higher standard...that is why I don't feel very liberal.

And I applaud that. I believe the Perpetual Virginity of the Immaculata is a symbol of her fidelity and integrity to her mission, but that is why I believe she is Perpetually Virgin and intacta - like everything about Christianity, it is the spiritual become physical reality.

I would like to highlight the above paragraph - if someone wishes to deny it, then let that person give the metaphysical reasoning why the higher cannot manifest itself in the lower - this, after all - is the crux of the question.

Do I believe Jesus is my lord and saviour and died for my sins? Yes, but not in a literal sense.

Physical and spiritual, see? Are you saying we are 'spiritually' saved, but not 'literally' saved? Then we are saved, but not in a literal sense ... which means in reality we are not saved? The condition of human nature is not abstract, it is a reality - thousands die of it daily - if the crucifixion seems unseemly, or unnecessary, then so does the death of 30,000 children a day in Africa, and they die for precisely the same reason that Christ died, because we don't care and we don't want to be bothered.

If not in the literal sense, then it is an insult to humanity ... because we die, literally.

(the question is: why do we lack the moral will to stop what we know to be wrong?)

I believe that by learning from the way and nature of Jesus by seeing his path to becoming the Christ...

Here's the rub - I would say that such an attitude, or such an interpretation, is the fruit of the relativism that affects the educated west, a world in which the subjective opinion in king? I might go so far as to say that Christians are told "Your rewligion can't mean that, cos mine doesn't..."

Wil - the following paragraph reads like I'm shouting, truly, I'm not, but I am asking rhetorically ... and I am smiling ... but ...

Who is this Christ? If not Jesus himself, a man, then who? If not a man, then what? He is not Jesus, then what is it that we are chasing? Some notion of universal consciousness? Ultimate Being? Some nebulous quality common to everyone someone happens to think worthy? The lowest common denominator of 'Agreed Good Stuff'?

I ask because once you start down the path of relativising, then there is no stopping. God becomes like the card in a three card trick, always there when it's shown to you, never there when you turn the card ...

But I am created man, and it is as a man that I shall find my way to God, and it is as a man that God looks for me.

I would rather be a good man who knew nothing, than a bad man who was conscious of the universe - but then, that's nothing original.

by not worshipping him, but attempting to follow in loving footsteps...I can do everything he did and more...if I am able to walk the walk...and I believe when he said ye are G-ds....we are the creator and the created...masters of our destiny, brothers and sisters, children of G-d, the trinity does not exist as we are all one...

Surely to follow in his loving footsteps requires that we lay down our lives for another, without counting the cost, and wanting nothing in return ... "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"
John 15:13

Unless, of course, Jesus then said, "not literally, of course, I mean metaphorically, esoterically ... but not really."

Thomas

What about now? Do you see teh funny?

that was back when I went with the flow of this place. I still like the bible but I dont like the religions that come out of it. I think all institutional religions are a funny. This is the thread that made me ask the same question in every religion making me realize how bogus they are which actually confirmed the turning point & caused me to not like any of them. The same topic I was criticized & harassed for asking in the other religions but it was great because it made me realize how much bull crap there really is in religion. As for literal & liberal- I dont give a log of do do.

This is the tornado thread by the way. What Is the difference between a pretend mythical tornado and a real tornado? Saltmeister never seems to know.

because Jesus said he would be buried & Paul declared the death, burial & resurrection is the Gospel. the death burial & resurrection is mentioned in many many places. the burial has just as much paradox & meanings as his death & reusurrection. i do not leave his burial out for Jesus predicted he would be buried & things happened during that time.

In 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, Paul is reminding the church at Corinth about the gospel when he says, "Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, and in which you stand; by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received; that Christdied for our sins according to the scriptures, and that He wasburied, and that Herose again the third day according to the scriptures."

i do not believe God turned into a man or God came through the womb & no i dont believe in the trinity or any godman doctrines. that is dogma that i do not see required to be a Christian.
-but do you see me make issues out of it?
no i do not.

yes i do believe that Jesus is in the Godhead & that Jesus is the fulness of the Godhead bodily & the mediator between God & man, because the bible says so. i do not remove Jesus from the eternal Godhead...i just see it from a different POV & eternal has more than one definition that can also have a starting point as in THE BEGINNING... & move forward. God does not have a beginning. there is an extra gear & cavern travelled to see what i see with Jesus so i dont discuss what i believe concerning this in public.
we can discuss it in private or one on one someday if you want.:)

i did not know you can discard the Gospel of the death, burial & resurrection of Jesus & still be a Christian. that sounds like a different religion, like Islam or Judaism or Hinduism.
his death burial & resurrection seems pretty black & white, Jesus himself being the chief cornerstone. but i suppose that does not matter either.

This is not the definition this interfaith religion gives. there was never a burial or a resurrection according to interfaith religion, that way you can 'get along' with everyone. Vultures eating the flesh of a dead man makes a great gospel for interfaith.

that was back when I went with the flow of this place. I still like the bible but I dont like the religions that come out of it. I think all institutional religions are a funny. This is the thread that made me ask the same question in every religion making me realize how bogus they are which actually confirmed the turning point & caused me to not like any of them. The same topic I was criticized & harassed for asking in the other religions but it was great because it made me realize how much bull crap there really is in religion. As for literal & liberal- I dont give a log of do do.

This is the tornado thread by the way. What Is the difference between a pretend mythical tornado and a real tornado? Saltmeister never seems to know.

Awesome thanks :)

Religions are created from the bible by specific interpretations of the bible as it stands today. To me historic study of how the bible was created, the social, economic, political, mythical, metaphorical, metaphysical aspects of the original writings...and then the same for the additions, subtractions, interpretations, combinations, and then again for the various interpretations...leads me to an understanding that this book is not, cannot be the 'word' of G!d. Because that would beg the question, which word, which interpretation, which bible, is the word...can they all be the word when they differ so much?

All that being said, far from being ready to toss it in the wood pile, it is a sacred book to me, for it contains so much that can assist us in understanding spirit and in understanding ourselves, and benefit us in our daily life. Far and away it is my primary source...but surely not my only source.

Today prior to determing what a piece of scripture means to me in any moment in time (as it does change moment to moment as my life and experience and situation changes) prior to that determination...I'll read multiple interpretations, multiple versions...some day maybe I'll learn the greek and hebrew to allow me to develop a deeper understanding...as I believe that would be valuable.

Back