Quotes for Lent

The Lord says this; "You've been told what is good and what the Lord requires of you, only to do what is right, love goodness, and walk humbly with the Lord your God.

Thomas... I'll agree there is a lot of schlock in Hollywood. That isn't what I was stating. Just as there has been volumes of writings that have not stood the test of time.

It is like folks who point to old houses and say "Boy they really built them great back then" Tis simply ignorance to the fact that all the schlock houses have fell down, the most of those left standing are the wellbuilt ones.

Thomas... I'll agree there is a lot of schlock in Hollywood.
Wil —
Hollywood serves mammon first, and foremost. So 'insight' or 'enlightenment' are put to use to that end, which is a profanation in my book.

It plays to the lowest common denominator — ROI — and makes life for the 'quality' film that much harder.

"If it can't make a buck, it's not worth a ****"

God bless,

Thomas

"Anyone who does not eat the flesh of the son of man and drink his blood has no life in them".

Thanks for shedding some light on the practice of Lent. :) Some of the Western traditions are difficult for me to understand!

Methinks this might have a similar resonance:

Yen Hui, the favorite disciple of Confucius, came to take leave of his Master.

"Tell me," said Yen Hui, "what is fasting of the heart?"
Confucius replied. "The goal of fasting is inner unity. This means hearing, but not with the ear; hearing, but not with the understanding; hearing with the spirit, with your whole being. The hearing that is only in the ears is one thing. The hearing of the understanding is another. But the hearing of the spirit is not limited to any one faculty, to the ear, or to the mind. Hence it demands the emptiness of all the faculties. And when the faculties are empty, then the whole being listens. There is then a direct grasp of what is right there before you that can never be heard with the ear or understood with the mind. Fasting of the heart empties the faculties, frees you from limitation and from preoccupation. Fasting of the heart begets unity and freedom."

"I see," said Yen Hui. "What was standing in my way was my own self-awareness. If I can begin this fasting of the heart, self-awareness will vanish. Then I will be free from limitation and preoccupation! Is that what you mean?"

"Yes," said Confucius, "that's it! If you can do this, you will be able to go among men in their world without upsetting them. You will not enter into conflict with their ideal image of themselves. If they will listen, sing them a song. If not, keep silent. Don't try to break down their door. Don't try out new medicines on them. Just be there among them, because there is nothing else for you to be but one of them. Then you may have success!
It is easy to stand still and leave no trace, but it is hard to walk without touching the ground. If you follow human methods, you can get away with deception. In the way of Tao, no deception is possible.
You know that one can fly with wings: you have not yet learned about flying without wings. You are familiar with the wisdom of those who know, but you have not yet learned the wisdom of those who know not.
Look at this window: it is nothing but a hole in the wall, but because of it the whole room is full of light. So when the faculties are empty, the heart is full of light. Being full of light it becomes an influence by which others are secretly transformed."

Excerpt from "The Way of Chuang Tzu"
Interpreted by Thomas Merton
-source-

All your people will be righteous, Israel, they will always possess the land.

Hi All, I thought I'd start a thread to share Bible paasages and other sayings or quotes we find especially meaningful for the season of Lent. They don't have to be related to Lent and Easter, just something you find inspirational at this time of year.

peace,
lunamoth

Blessed and holy are those who have part in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years

(As one Buddhist master has said, what people in the West mean by freedom is the ability to chase the next whim or novelty without hindrance. It never occurs that real freedom and real autonomy first requires self-possession, and that takes discipline.)

Great quote from "Buddhist master." Any chance you have a citation?

Agape

Once you have the light keep faith in the light and you will become a child of light.

Lent... is not in the Bible... Catholic Church always defies the Bible... Even Purgatory, Limbo etc... Not in the Bible... It is clearly stated in the Bible that, we should not add or deduct any of the writings or teachings in the Bible...

... Catholic Church always defies the Bible...
The Catholic Church wrote the Bible ... it's everyone else who goes off with their own fanciful interpretations.

God bless,

Thomas

If you abide in me and my words remain part of you, you may ask what you will and it shall be done for you.

Hi All, I thought I'd start a thread to share Bible paasages and other sayings or quotes we find especially meaningful for the season of Lent. They don't have to be related to Lent and Easter, just something you find inspirational at this time of year.

peace,
lunamoth

Lord Jesus, you are my righteousness, I am your sin. You have taken upon yourself what is mine and given me what is yours. You have become what you were not so that I might become what I was not.

Martin Luther
:)

hear the story in song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGTPNue0-ZI

Lent... is not in the Bible... Catholic Church always defies the Bible... Even Purgatory, Limbo etc... Not in the Bible... It is clearly stated in the Bible that, we should not add or deduct any of the writings or teachings in the Bible...

The apostle Paul wrote that the message of Christ crucified is “the power of God and the wisdom of God” and that the message of Christ is “a demonstration of the Spirit’s power” (1 Corinthians 1:24 & 2:4).

Thats what lenten season is really about.:)

reflecting on Jesus crucified for us..

Back