What music are you listening to?

That video is not available in the UK
Nor in the US.
Surprising. It should have been popular among Hindus in UK and US. Perhaps they know how to reach it. Check 'Sony' Entertainment.
This came out a few years ago. Was #1 on Hindi radio in Fiji for a while.

This is trash (mostly for Punjabis), not that they do not have good singing. Superstar singer has no riff-raff, only 'Super Singing'. Totally different class.

This is trash (mostly for Punjabis), not that they do not have good singing. Superstar singer has no riff-raff, only 'Super Singing'. Totally different class.
Just because you don't personally like it, doesn't make it trash. There's no call to insult others or their works. The wife and I love it. It's a fun party song that was often played at both Indian and Fijian weddings in her country.

OK. But we give more importance to Indian classical music when talking about music.
New songs are attractive, but control and versatility of voice is more important.

OK. But we give more importance to Indian classical music when talking about music.
New songs are attractive, but control and versatility of voice is more important.
Sure, we all have different tastes and appreciate music on different levels. What makes one genre superior to another is completely subjective though. As a former musician, aside from hip hop and rap, I have an appreciation for all music. But even those I don't particularly care for, I can still appreciate the complexities of the work and the time that goes into creating them.

As an aside, one of the videos you just posted is region specific. Doesn't play in the US and Canada. Not sure about elsewhere.

Basic, with me, is that I do not put modern music on the same pedestal as Classical Indian music (The Ragas and all).

Prem Jogan Ban Ke (Becoming a fakir of love) - Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan Film - Mughal-e-Azam (if it plays for you)

Last edited:
Booth Brothers, "All the God In California" (Gatlin Brothers cover)

Handsome Family, "The Forgotten Lake"

There were two winners in this years Supersinger edition. 7-year old sensation, Avirbhava, and toothy 13-year old Atharva. They take home USD 13124.
Avirbhav is from Kerala state and does not know Hindi. He was given Hindi songs in transliteration. The winners shield was too heavy for Avirbhava and had to be held by his trainer. I hope the video plays for members.

The two youngest participants captivated the audience, Pihu and Avirbhava. These were with together for four months and were loath to leave each other.

Last edited:
Difficult to enjoy Indian classical music with hearing aid, one looses all the minute inflections, vocal as well as instrumental. And at one time I prided myself as a very discerning listener.
A very famous singer, Alka Yagnik, also has lost her hearing (suddenly) at the age of 57. Such a tragedy for a singer.

images
That is the marriage photograph from 1989.

Back