Creationism Is Paganism, says Vatican Astronomer

China Cat Sunflower said:
Let's have a show of hands here: How many believe that the Catholic Church is in some way the agent of the anti-christ? I was raised to absolutely fear and despise the Catholic Church. They're idol worshippers you know. Plus, all of that stuff in Revelation about Rome and the horny beasts... So I want to know: does anyone here have the stones to go on record with what your church teaches about the RCC?

Chris

Not only do I personally take affront to this post Chris (vehemently), but it is not in good keepings with CR's COC, which can be read HERE!

Man, that was not cool at all...

AletheiaRivers said:
As I understand it, Catholicism is the largest Christian denomination. That fact alone would make a literal interpretation of Genesis (YEC) a minority view. That is not speaking as to whether YEC is a correct or incorrect view, just that it is a minority view. :)
Thank you. That is just the sort of thing that I was getting at, although I'm not sure that Catholicism is larger than all the other Christian denominations combined. Still, a lot of other denominations also do not accept YEC. You are also correct that I wasn't making any judgment as to who is right or wrong - just talking numbers.

littlemissattitude said:
Thank you. That is just the sort of thing that I was getting at, although I'm not sure that Catholicism is larger than all the other Christian denominations combined. Still, a lot of other denominations also do not accept YEC. You are also correct that I wasn't making any judgment as to who is right or wrong - just talking numbers.

Out of 2.3 billion Christians, 1.2 billion profess to be Catholic. Hope that helps.

Quahom1 said:
Not only do I personally take affront to this post Chris (vehemently), but it is not in good keepings with CR's COC, which can be read HERE!

Man, that was not cool at all...

Q,

This is not a reflection of my current attitude toward catholicism. One of the reasons I left Seventh-day Adventism was that church's unreasonable attitude toward the RCC. Here's the thing: I think that an anti-catholic attitude is pretty much stock in trade for a lot of fundamentalist denominations. I want to find out if any of our fundamentalist friends here are willing to be up front about what their church teaches vis a vis the RCC.

Chris

Come on now... The Catholic Church is now saying that the Bible isn't true. The current official position of the RCC is that evolution is correct, and Revelation is to be discounted.

I read that Martin Luther wasn't going to include Revelation in his Bible, but when the wood cut illustrations came back from the artist he just couldn't resist the propaganda value of the beasts with papal crowns on their heads.

Chris

Q,

This is not a reflection of my current attitude toward catholicism. One of the reasons I left Seventh-day Adventism was that church's unreasonable attitude toward the RCC. Here's the thing: I think that an anti-catholic attitude is pretty much stock in trade for a lot of fundamentalist denominations. I want to find out if any of our fundamentalist friends here are willing to be up front about what their church teaches vis a vis the RCC.

Chris

Well, that's never been my attitude toward the Catholic Church, but I guess you already knew that. It's no secret that Protestantism in general and fundamentalism in particular take a dim view of the RCC, and consider it the anti-Christ. A chip on the shoulder attitude, though, is what is going to keep many people away from dialogue here...

lunamoth

Come on now... The Catholic Church is now saying that the Bible isn't true. The current official position of the RCC is that evolution is correct, and Revelation is to be discounted.

I read that Martin Luther wasn't going to include Revelation in his Bible, but when the wood cut illustrations came back from the artist he just couldn't resist the propaganda value of the beasts with papal crowns on their heads.

Chris

I don't think the RCC is saying that the Bible isn't true. Sounds like pretty good sense they way they are approaching this. The people who are most going to rail against this are already railing against the RCC anyway. I think the RCC is right on target here.

2 c,
lunamoth

China Cat,

How many believe that the Catholic Church is in some way the agent of the anti-christ? I was raised to absolutely fear and despise the Catholic Church. They're idol worshippers you know. Plus, all of that stuff in Revelation about Rome and the horny beasts... So I want to know: does anyone here have the stones to go on record with what your church teaches about the RCC?
A person with any lick of common sense would know that a person living in a glass house shouldn't run around throwing stones.

To remind:
I think it's only fair that the reformed agnostic druid lumberjacks have their own forum where they don't have to put up with ad hominem attacks from their arch rivals the Fundamentalist Druid Lumberjacks, upper Wisconsin synod.
Just who is it that is really levelling ad hominem attacks? Hmmm? Seems to me your actions conflict with your statement. Hard to take your comment seriously when you keep levelling attacks such as this. The reformed agnostic druid lumberjacks DO have a place where they are free from ad hominem attacks, and it is NOT where the fundamentalist druid lumberjacks reside. Further, there is no license for the reform lumberjacks to attack the fundamentalist lumberjacks in the house they have built, a cause you seem to have taken upon yourself with a vigor. Then you cry "foul" when the favor is returned? Last I checked, "do as I say, not as I do" is the very essence of hypocrasy.

It is one thing to present a conflicting viewpoint, something to make others think. It is quite another to attempt to demolish what others have built. Seems to me you haven't spent much time building anything, you are more interested in tearing others down. And you demand that your actions be acceptable? Hardly. Further, what kind of faith can possibly be of any benefit, if the *only* thing it can do is destroy?

You are not obliged to believe. You are not obliged to agree. You are obliged to conduct yourself with manners. If that is not acceptable, then you will be invited to play elsewhere. The choice is yours.

Either help us build a dialogue between faiths, or go play in another sandbox. There is enough demolition in the world without putting up with it here.

lunamoth said:
I don't think the RCC is saying that the Bible isn't true. Sounds like pretty good sense they way they are approaching this. The people who are most going to rail against this are already railing against the RCC anyway. I think the RCC is right on target here.

2 c,
lunamoth

Yeah, I do too. I think they're making remarkably good sense. What I find interesting is how and where the line is drawn. The RCC now says that cetain parts of the Bible aren't literally true, but other equally non-scientifically palatable parts like virgin birth are still off limits. It's like a constantly eroding line in the sand. "O.K., this far and no farther...well, maybe a little more-but no farther...well, maybe...." I wonder how long until they're willing to chuck the whole thing. I think it's entirely political.

Chris

Yeah, I do too. I think they're making remarkably good sense. What I find interesting is how and where the line is drawn. The RCC now says that cetain parts of the Bible aren't literally true, but other equally non-scientifically palatable parts like virgin birth are still off limits. It's like a constantly eroding line in the sand. "O.K., this far and no farther...well, maybe a little more-but no farther...well, maybe...." I wonder how long until they're willing to chuck the whole thing. I think it's entirely political.

Chris
Well, I am not RCC but I really don't think this marks a significant change in the RCC's approach to the Bible. It may be a more public expression of it, and in language that intentionally shows the distinction between the RCC and the new literalism, but I don't think it's all that radical. They are not saying that anything is 'not true' in conveying God to us, only that the Bible is not a science text, which is it not. Even the Gospels each have their spin, yet we can still trust that they each tell us something important, and consistent, about Christ. Going along with my sacred view thread, the Bible is More than the sum of its words.

And your example of the virgin birth, and I would add the miracles and the resurrection, well, we know that those things are not scientific. What is the problem? They were not scientific 2000 years ago either, but that did not stop people from believing. I think that the RCC is making it clear that 1) it was not science and 2) it was not magic. It's never been right to think of the truth of the Bible in those terms, and to think that way is a form of superstition.

2 c,
lunamoth

Last edited:
To start, I've never understood the anti-catholic or anti-semitism, or racism, or whateverisms... Mostly because I wasn't raised that way, and didn't exist in a mono-anything vacuum I think. I still don't know all the history which leaves such hatred or predjudices amongst people. The funny thing is I wear my hair long....but at times see people with long hair and have prejudicial notions about their politics and work ethic....bad very bad...hopefully I'll grow.

As I see it there are different levels of understanding in most churhes. In sunday school, the youngins are taught the basics...just like any book you pick up Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farms say...their is a picture book version, an elementary school version, a middle school version...and the unabridged...and then somewhere along the line, maybe you'll get into the history of the writer, the time period it was written, the nuances of the society at the time, and the society being written about....and maybe some undercurrent of thought that isn't specifically in the writings but intimated to.

We go through the bible the same way...and if perchance one would make it with open eyes to reading about all the authors and editors of the bible, the history of its actual creation as a collection of stories...the judaic and then later christian cannonization of same. And somewhere along the line you have a teacher teaching masters and/or doctoral level at a Catholic or Jesuit or most any religous university saying..."don't tell me you think this actually happened...this is metaphor"...and over half the class goes into shock... I've heard this over the years from so many... and the answer is always the same... the masses aren't ready for this information.

That was the thinking during canonization, that was the thinking of Paul establishing churches. That was the thinking of the authors and editors of the bible.. we gotta mix some of the pagan stories in here, keep it all within the realm of acceptablity.

And today it appears true as well....we are not ready.

wil said:
To start, I've never understood the anti-catholic or anti-semitism, or racism, or whateverisms... Mostly because I wasn't raised that way, and didn't exist in a mono-anything vacuum I think. I still don't know all the history which leaves such hatred or predjudices amongst people. The funny thing is I wear my hair long....but at times see people with long hair and have prejudicial notions about their politics and work ethic....bad very bad...hopefully I'll grow.

As I see it there are different levels of understanding in most churhes. In sunday school, the youngins are taught the basics...just like any book you pick up Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farms say...their is a picture book version, an elementary school version, a middle school version...and the unabridged...and then somewhere along the line, maybe you'll get into the history of the writer, the time period it was written, the nuances of the society at the time, and the society being written about....and maybe some undercurrent of thought that isn't specifically in the writings but intimated to.

We go through the bible the same way...and if perchance one would make it with open eyes to reading about all the authors and editors of the bible, the history of its actual creation as a collection of stories...the judaic and then later christian cannonization of same. And somewhere along the line you have a teacher teaching masters and/or doctoral level at a Catholic or Jesuit or most any religous university saying..."don't tell me you think this actually happened...this is metaphor"...and over half the class goes into shock... I've heard this over the years from so many... and the answer is always the same... the masses aren't ready for this information.

That was the thinking during canonization, that was the thinking of Paul establishing churches. That was the thinking of the authors and editors of the bible.. we gotta mix some of the pagan stories in here, keep it all within the realm of acceptablity.

And today it appears true as well....we are not ready.

To me, at least, this makes sense.

Let's have a show of hands here: How many believe that the Catholic Church is in some way the agent of the anti-christ? I was raised to absolutely fear and despise the Catholic Church. They're idol worshippers you know. Plus, all of that stuff in Revelation about Rome and the horny beasts... So I want to know: does anyone here have the stones to go on record with what your church teaches about the RCC?

Chris

In the past JW's believed RC was Babylon the Great. I don't know if they believed RC was the anti-Christ.

On the record - I'm seriously considering converting to Catholicism. I'm torn. I'm also interested in the Episcopal church. It will be one or the other. I felt I had to say that, in the event that my comment above seemed anti-Catholic in any way (although I don't see how, and don't know why it inspired CC to react the way he did). :)

littlemissattitude said:

You are welcome. I understood your comments to be exactly what you intended them to be. ;)

It's my understanding that the RCC has always held a metaphorical/historical view of the Scriptures.

Chris

I was taught the same way. I must point out that, in all cases, God hates the sin and loves the sinner.

Back